What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You get a $5 scratch ticket as a gift for Xmas. It hits for $100k (1 Viewer)

Good point - I don't know and I'm sure for that amount she has to go in person and sign some stuff.

ETA - though I will say, he hasn't heard from her, she could have easily said, I haven't got it yet, but I'll be hooking you up with X once I do. 
About 15 years ago someone I know won $11 million on a Powerball ticket that was an annual gift from his parents. They essentially split the winnings within the immediate family. There was never any monetary gifts to me or other friends that I'm aware of. That said, there were a lot of tabs picked up, parties paid for etc.

At any rate, IIRC from talking to him shortly after, with large amounts it takes quite some time to get the money. For lack of a better term you essentially have to sue the state/lottery/gaming entity or whatever and it gets paid out in a settlement. 

OP stated that receiver was like member of family “(for now.)” Poster since clarified it was a throw away line, but that addition implies the relationship may be in jeopardy depending on actions of receiver and her next move. That was in there, and what I and others reacted to in giving opinion of that assumed expectation. 
Great but your last post said people were expecting a tip which as clarified they were not...yet you keep saying they are...

I say good day

This exactly. 50% goes to vendor. $1 becomes .50.

40% of any winnings are taxed. So now we’re down to .30 on the dollar in equity if the odds were 50/50, which they are not. In reality, 80% of every dollar spent on a lottery gift is wasted. So statistically for every $100 I spend, I’m really giving $20. 

And now in the extremely rare event the receiver wins a big prize from my objectively terrible gift, there’s an expectation of 20-50% tip? 

Audacity at its finest.
Hardly anyone is saying they’d expect a portion of the winnings. Many are suggesting giving back some of the $ a nice thing to do given the unexpected cash windfall.

Gift giving isn’t about return on investment. But If you conclude as you’ve calculated above, how do you think the original giver would respond to a “tip” of a second lottery ticket?

I regret adding the phase "for now" in my original post.  As @ghostguy123 correctly surmised, it was a throwaway line that I added as a lame joke.  I was interested in finding out two things:

1. You get a $5 scratch ticket for Christmas that hits for $100,000; how much (if any) do you give to the giver?  I figured everyone could fill in the other details for themselves and discuss whether their answer differs based on their relationship with the giver, their relative financial positions, whether the giver knew, etc.

2. Based on the details I gave about the real-life scenario I heard about, would your answer be different?  This one is actually less interesting to me, but I figured it gave some flavor to the story.

I did not expect these weird tangents about what givers ought to expect, whether givers with expectations are bad people, whether lottery tickets make good gifts, or what the "right" answer is based on the so-called laws of lottery giving or whatever.  But hey, it's an FFA thread and they have a life of their own I suppose.
It’s an interesting question. Not sure why anyone thinks there is a correct answer.

OP stated that receiver was like member of family “(for now.)” Poster since clarified it was a throw away line, but that addition implies the relationship may be in jeopardy depending on actions of receiver and her next move. That was in there, and what I and others reacted to in giving opinion of that assumed expectation. 
That line was in jest, though it isn’t beyond the realm of possibility some people would expect a portion of the lottery winnings as the gift giver. But that wasn’t the question posed by the OP, who asked what the gift recipient would (not necessarily should) do.

i'm not sure i entirely agree w @Mr. Ham but, if i were the giver, i would decline a cash offering from the recipient. having sold policy as a kid, i am immune to the lottery dream & have never actually bought a ticket but, essentially, as a gift, one person is saying to another, "i offer you a dream". i ain't cutting in on a dream if it hits. likewise, i wouldn't offer cash to the gifter, but i would try to use some of the cash to make one of the gifter's dreams come true, like a home-entertainment system or two tickets to Paris, sum'n likat.
Yeah, this.  The only person who ever buys me scratch-its is my MIL.  If I won big, she'd refuse a penny.  But I would make double damn sure to pick up their airfare and more for a family vacation.  No brainer.

I think giving scratchers as a gift is dumb. Usually, you win nothing. So the gift is essentially nothing. If you win, there's an expectation that you have to give a portion back to the giver? Dumb as hell... worse than gift cards (which I personally enjoy).
I used to buy them for the kids around the holidays as a stocking stuffer, but we never won a damn thing so, bah.....I can think of far better ways to waste my money.   :banned:

I stated early that fair show of appreciation would be a gift valued at about 1-2% net (post tax) proceeds - but that assumes the giver knows about the win. Better if they don’t.

I also showed homework as to why lottery gifts are on average a very bad gift. That analysis didn’t factor that the vast majority of winners are small amounts that mostly get reabsorbed as lottery profits that eventually lose. So $1,000 in lottery tickets would probably tied a $0 net return, so I wouldn’t do that. 

Based on what that person was into, I’d buy them something thoughtful and nice. If they like to travel, it may be a couple grand weekend away. It may be a watch. Or a very expensive bottle of Scotch. Or something else they’d appreciate. 

Giving lottery gifts is a bad gift choice, puts an unfair burden on the very small and unlikely outlier who wins, and the results are best not shared. 
OK, but other people have different ideas what constitutes “fair”.

I might be over reading your posts, but it seems you think it is unreasonable for someone to split the winnings 50:50. And it also appears you take offense at the concept of lottery tickets as a gift. 

You agreed with TIS posting a second lottery ticket would be an appropriate “tip” for the winning ticket. Personally, I think that wouldn’t be well received. I also think any % of the winnings you offer is fairly arbitrary, independent of the lottery design and gift giver’s knowledge of your winnings.

Mr. Ham said:
I assumed he was being sarcastic. If I think 1k lottery tickets is a poor gift, you can be sure I think 1 is. Only reason I might opt for the 1k tickets would be if I’d caught wind that the giver wanted more. That’s and adequate FU of sorts that is hard to argue with. If he/she won, I’d still be happy for them, and would expect/accept nothing substantial in return. 

As for a 50/50 split, no way.  I don’t think giving lottery tickets is entirely beyond the pale, but after this thread I’d urge anyone who does so to state upon giving that you will not accept any of the proceeds. If you aren’t prepared to do that, you should rethink your gifting motives. Typically, someone would get you something nice anyway and you’d settle on that polite gesture.
I hope he was being sarcastic, and agree that doing so effectively says “FU” to the original gift giver.

And while I’d never give (or purchase) lottery tickets, the idea of adding a stipulation clarifying what (not) to do with the winnings is too much. 

Mr. Ham said:
but after this thread I’d urge anyone who does so to state upon giving that you will not accept any of the proceeds. If you aren’t prepared to do that, you should rethink your gifting motives. 
Silly.  Pointless.  

It's been firmly established that nobody thinks they SHOULD be gifted some of the winnings.  

But hey, let's do a nice "look at me" speech to show how awesome we are when everyone will think you are a tool for doing so.....because DUHHHHH you arent supposed to get any of the winnings..........unless of course the winner wants to give you something.

Easy solve. Don’t gift lottery tickets. 

I’d not given it much thought, but this thread makes me aware that so much joy and utility in receiving practical gifts is squandered by doing so. IRS is the net winner. Likely that hundreds of millions to billions are wasted that would go otherwise to goods and services. 
Or people can continue to give them, with no assumptions regarding the winnings. If the recipient wants to offer, that’s their prerogative.

And I guarantee many people would derive joy from winning 100k. Others might enjoy giving away most of their winnings.

Practical gifts are OK, but the gifts I’ve enjoyed the most were usually somewhat frivolous and unexpected. And something I wouldn’t buy myself. Winning lottery tickets certainly meet all criteria.

Terminalxylem said:
Assuming this isn’t sarcasm, how do you think the original giver would react to a “gift” of a second lottery ticket?
Wait.  What?  

Is this one of those math word problems?  Because I was told there'd be no math.

Wait.  What?  

Is this one of those math word problems?  Because I was told there'd be no math.
You said you’d give the gift giver another lottery ticket as appreciation for your winning ticket. I couldn’t tell if you were being sarcastic, so I asked how you think they’d react to your “tip”?

You said you’d give the gift giver another lottery ticket as appreciation for your winning ticket. I couldn’t tell if you were being sarcastic, so I asked how you think they’d react to your “tip”?
It was more of a joke.  People were saying they'd give him a percentage of what they won.  But I think that's a much better gift than what he gave.  People were trying to figure out what was fair and I thought a fair gift would be a $5 scratch off card.  Because the value was originally the same.  But there's potential to win just as much.

What happens if they did give back a scratch off and that ticket won a million dollars?  Does the bouncer than owe a portion of his winnings?  Or what's the percentage since the second ticket was purchased with the winnings from the first ticket?

Damnit, I was told no math, Terminal.  :angry:

It was more of a joke.  People were saying they'd give him a percentage of what they won.  But I think that's a much better gift than what he gave.  People were trying to figure out what was fair and I thought a fair gift would be a $5 scratch off card.  Because the value was originally the same.  But there's potential to win just as much.

What happens if they did give back a scratch off and that ticket won a million dollars?  Does the bouncer than owe a portion of his winnings?  Or what's the percentage since the second ticket was purchased with the winnings from the first ticket?

Damnit, I was told no math, Terminal.  :angry:
Sorry, I couldn't tell you were joking. Some of these guys take their lottery sharing very seriously.

Two stories:

• About 1981 my mom went to my school for a back-to-school night or something where they did a 50/50 fundraiser. She won, goes up to collect, they hand her $600 in cash (like $1,700 in today's dollars) and she she splits it in half and gives $300 to the principal, who graciously accepts. She thought that was how a 50/50 worked. So she really won a 75/25 raffle  :doh:
  • When my son was 9 he gave his grandfather (my ex's dad) a Christmas stocking from "him" that included a bunch of scratch-offs. He asked my son if he wanted to "help" him scratch off the lottery tickets, and they split them up. His grandfather gets $7 in winners. My son does his, has no winners until the last one when he goes berserk because he gets a $1,000 winner. Lots of high fives and excitement. After the dust settles, his grandfather says he wants to thank him for bringing him good luck and hands him the $7 in winners and $3 cash. 
Two hypotheticals:

• Someone gives unopened packs/boxes of sports cards as a gift. Giftee opens them and pulls a super-rare they flip on eBay for $10,000. Same situation?
  • Someone picks up a vintage tea set at a roadside yard sale and gifts it. The giftee goes to clean and polish it and finds a roll of 50 hundred dollar bills inside the pot. Same?
Anyway, as for the OP, if I were the giftee, I would throw back $1,000. If I was the gifter, I wouldn't expect anything significant, but would be a bit surprised/disappointed if at least a nominal token of appreciation wasn't offered. 

Two stories:

• About 1981 my mom went to my school for a back-to-school night or something where they did a 50/50 fundraiser. She won, goes up to collect, they hand her $600 in cash (like $1,700 in today's dollars) and she she splits it in half and gives $300 to the principal, who graciously accepts. She thought that was how a 50/50 worked. So she really won a 75/25 raffle  :doh:
  • When my son was 9 he gave his grandfather (my ex's dad) a Christmas stocking from "him" that included a bunch of scratch-offs. He asked my son if he wanted to "help" him scratch off the lottery tickets, and they split them up. His grandfather gets $7 in winners. My son does his, has no winners until the last one when he goes berserk because he gets a $1,000 winner. Lots of high fives and excitement. After the dust settles, his grandfather says he wants to thank him for bringing him good luck and hands him the $7 in winners and $3 cash. 
Two hypotheticals:

• Someone gives unopened packs/boxes of sports cards as a gift. Giftee opens them and pulls a super-rare they flip on eBay for $10,000. Same situation?
  • Someone picks up a vintage tea set at a roadside yard sale and gifts it. The giftee goes to clean and polish it and finds a roll of 50 hundred dollar bills inside the pot. Same?
Anyway, as for the OP, if I were the giftee, I would throw back $1,000. If I was the gifter, I wouldn't expect anything significant, but would be a bit surprised/disappointed if at least a nominal token of appreciation wasn't offered. 
Wow, I'm not a fan of ex-Grandpa. Do you recall any discussions at the time about how he handled it?

Two stories:

Two hypotheticals:

You divorced well......

Wow, I'm not a fan of ex-Grandpa. Do you recall any discussions at the time about how he handled it?
We were divorced by then, so I wasn't there, but let's just say I wasn't surprised when I heard about it from my ex. My son was kind of like :confused: when it happened, but never really mentioned it again. 

We were divorced by then, so I wasn't there, but let's just say I wasn't surprised when I heard about it from my ex. My son was kind of like :confused: when it happened, but never really mentioned it again. 
Props to your son, he handled it great.

Grandpa, on the other hand, was a Richard.

Users who are viewing this thread