What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Cam Akers, MIN (2 Viewers)

In a league where we staret 1 or 2 RB Ive been offered Lockett for him. Im thin at WR so Im thinking about it.
Trying to get him to throw in an IDP that ill help me (DE preferably) and I think thats as good as I get.

One other guy sniffign around.

In a league where we staret 1 or 2 RB Ive been offered Lockett for him. Im thin at WR so Im thinking about it.
Trying to get him to throw in an IDP that ill help me (DE preferably) and I think thats as good as I get.

One other guy sniffign around.

I'm not a dynasty player generally, but I would likely take this deal in a heartbeat.   You are getting a WR2 with upside (at worst) and you are moving a RB that is a question mark at best. Not only that, try and count the "good" RBs that came back from an Achilles tear.....or more specific, which RBs "came BACK good", as several have come back, but they were virtually never near as explosive or as productive. There are literally NONE I can think of, that you would feel comfortable starting, after returning.

Getting a solid WR2 ish guy (for likely a couple more years), and then you may even get a toss in help at IDP?

Thats a win in my book.

I'm all for Cam Akers to come back strong, but I would think its a very small chance of him returning to "good form".

TZM

i got Lockett and Paty for him. I really needed DE help and wire was empty. Couldnt get a first from anyone

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished a league that goes 21 rounds deep on offense, and owners can keep any player by giving up that draft pick the next year.  Kamara is an 8th round keeper, etc.  Someone always gets slick with injured players, I took ETN in the 6th, for example.  

Akers went undrafted.

That is probably a mistake by a few owners, but it's a good indication to me how negative the prognosis is out there.  

CBS had switched him to IR yesterday... now they changed him to NFI-R, what is this?

ap28.allday said:
CBS had switched him to IR yesterday... now they changed him to NFI-R, what is this?
Non Football Injury - Reserve

He got hurt via a non-football situation. He injured himself "while training". Could be the truth, could be a cover-up for something stupid. May even hurt himself doing something that his personal contract said not to do. Can hurt him financially if the team pursued it.

NFI-Active - can return to the team

NFI-Reserve - sits for the year

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/8/31/17797904/explaining-pup-nfi-ir-other-injury-nfl-roster-designations-cuts-53-man-roster

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/07/nfl-non-football-injury-nfi-list

He should not be available for an IR slot for most leagues. Basically a step-up from an Exempt List.

The narrative on good RBs not fully recovering from an Achilles tear is so overblown.  The sample size is so small and medical technology continues to improve.  I remember when a knee ligament tear was career threatening.

The narrative on good RBs not fully recovering from an Achilles tear is so overblown.  The sample size is so small and medical technology continues to improve.  I remember when a knee ligament tear was career threatening.
Fair point. Not to shift subject matters, but it may also be said for Etienne and his Lisfranc injury 

It will be interesting to see how Mack performs once he is traded. I know the players are all different but will still be interesting to see pre-injury Mack against after injury Mack

There's a world of difference between an Achilles and ACL, though. 

I'll gladly stay on the conservative side of "I'll believe it when I see it".  I still say that the next RB to fully recover to pre-Achilles form will be the first.

There's a world of difference between an Achilles and ACL, though. 

I'll gladly stay on the conservative side of "I'll believe it when I see it".  I still say that the next RB to fully recover to pre-Achilles form will be the first.
Due to Akers age I'll put my money on him being the first.  Drafted him in dynasty last year so don't have much of a choice not going to give him away.

I still say that the next RB to fully recover to pre-Achilles form will be the first.
You're not wrong.

But I am struggling to understand why we have to limit it to RBs when it's such a small and tainted sample size. Surely larger football players like Uzomah or Kwon Alexander, a more explosive athlete like the Russian gymnast who just competed in the Olympics 6 months after tearing his Achilles, or an older football player like Emmanuel Sanders are worthwhile data points in projecting Akers' recovery. Right?

You're not wrong.

But I am struggling to understand why we have to limit it to RBs when it's such a small and tainted sample size. Surely larger football players like Uzomah or Kwon Alexander, a more explosive athlete like the Russian gymnast who just competed in the Olympics 6 months after tearing his Achilles, or an older football player like Emmanuel Sanders are worthwhile data points in projecting Akers' recovery. Right?
For me, it's simply due to the nature of the position.  So much cutting, starting and stopping, changing direction.  Then you add on the beating that they take, it's not really comparable to other positions or sports.

it's not really comparable to other positions or sports.
This is the point I disagree on. I'm no doctor or sports scientist, but it seems like a large male gymnast launching himself into the air and landing, a WR running routes, a TE blocking and running routes, or a LB in pass pro are all going to require a lot of similar stress on the Achilles. 

We don't have to agree, but to me these cases are more relevant than the list of RBs. They are more recent, and the list of RBs is mostly older players, old injuries, and guys where it's easy to see why they didn't get another chance regardless of the Achilles injury. 

Selling before the stock goes to zero is the opposite of giving him away.

He's not worth what you paid for him, don't send good money after bad.
How is it sending good money?  I already own him and for what I'd like get for him I'd rather take the chance on a comeback.  I'm not throwing more money his way and what I'd get now isn't going to put me over the top

How is it sending good money?  I already own him and for what I'd like get for him I'd rather take the chance on a comeback.  I'm not throwing more money his way and what I'd get now isn't going to put me over the top
Your investment is rapidly approaching zero worth. It’s better to get out now than to gamble on the remote possibility that he will ever gain value to a level higher than he is at right now. 

He is damaged goods or DND to many (most?) owners right now and even if he has an Adrian Peterson-esque rise from the ashes, there will always be questions in the back of their minds. 

Personally, I wouldn’t pay a future 2nd for him and I can’t see that changing even if he takes the field again.  

That is utterly ridiculous, in a good way. I saw workouts of him the other day on Twitter doing foot work. He looked like he was doing really, really intense stuff. I'm not sure how good he looked -- whether he looked as good as NFL running backs need to look -- but there certainly won't be any lifelong crippling injury. Dude was moving.

I was happy to hear this and happy to read the headline, but keep in mind that it is McVay, and his lying about injury and injuries knows no bounds.

There was always a little mystery around his injury, if it was a partial or not so maybe the recovery is in line with the severity, or lack thereof. If that's the case and the doctors clear him to play I see no reason why you wouldn't use a fully healthy Akers in the playoffs.

Has Henderson and Michel made you forget about this guy? 

Would the Rams NOT draft a quality RB next year to push both of these guys and not tie up money long term at a position you should not be paying a lot of money at? 

That is utterly ridiculous, in a good way. I saw workouts of him the other day on Twitter doing foot work. He looked like he was doing really, really intense stuff. I'm not sure how good he looked -- whether he looked as good as NFL running backs need to look -- but there certainly won't be any lifelong crippling injury. Dude was moving.

I was happy to hear this and happy to read the headline, but keep in mind that it is McVay, and his lying about injury and injuries knows no bounds.
Modern medicine is incredible. I think he'll return to form (more based on the workout video and other athletes recovering in under a year to top form, which I've already alluded to enough). 

Has Henderson and Michel made you forget about this guy? 

Would the Rams NOT draft a quality RB next year to push both of these guys and not tie up money long term at a position you should not be paying a lot of money at? 
Depends what kind of draft picks they have and what kind of other needs can be met. I'm serious -- they don't have a first-round pick and likely don't have many later ones. They have one second rounder and two thirds, a fifth, and a seventh. 

So it all depends. But yes, they'd likely scour the street or sign guys that can give Henderson and Michel competition, as well as Akers. Depends how Akers winds up physically. 

Depends what kind of draft picks they have and what kind of other needs can be met. I'm serious -- they don't have a first-round pick and likely don't have many later ones. They have one second rounder and two thirds, a fifth, and a seventh. 

So it all depends. But yes, they'd likely scour the street or sign guys that can give Henderson and Michel competition, as well as Akers. Depends how Akers winds up physically. 
I also don't know if there's a prospect as good as Akers in 2022, if he returns to form (obviously the big if). Hall and Spiller might be close. 

Just an FYI that McVay said in October he expected Akers back this season for a possible post-season run. Read update this morning and that is still the thought and he could be returning to practice sometime in next few weeks.

Just an FYI that McVay said in October he expected Akers back this season for a possible post-season run. Read update this morning and that is still the thought and he could be returning to practice sometime in next few weeks.
Nice outlook for him with this news and the Vikings rb and Foreman both looking spry with Achilles injuries in their past. Excited to see him back out there.

To update your post since October, the Rams currently have NO picks in the first 4 rounds of the 2022 NFL Draft after the Von Miller trade. They only have a 5th and two 7ths. They are also near the bottom of the league in projected cap space (not that that has stopped them from making moves in recent years.) So resigning Michel may not be in the cards (although he probably would resign cheaply and maybe there’s a 3 way competition next year.)

NBC Sports Edge:

Rams designated RB Cam Akers (Achilles) to return from injured reserve. 

There had been loose reports of Akers making progress, but this still arrives as a bolt out of the blue. It does not mean Akers will for sure return, but this opens his three-week practice window to do so. With passing become tougher league wide and the Rams unsure if they want to feature Sony Michel or Darrell Henderson, Akers' return would be quite a luxury for the playoffs. He would undoubtedly be just a bit player, however, while immediate effectiveness coming off a popped Achilles has been a rarity at the running back position. It is highly unlikely Akers is of service the final three weeks of the regular season, but coach Sean McVay had previously expressed optimism he could be ready to contribute by the postseason. The biggest takeaway is that Akers is now positioned to get in a full offseason as he looks to re-gain his pre-injury form. 

Dec 23, 2021, 2:50 PM ET

Awesome news for Akers that he may actually be able to play this year. I'd be shocked if he were any higher the #3 on the Rams depth chart upon his return, as he's likely going to need more time to regain his burst, but its still great news for him. 

MoP's Saturday take from the gut...like the way Michel has been playing these last few weeks and understanding Baltimore Defense ain't what it used to be or usually can be, that said I don't see Michel having a huge day and the entire Rams team on a B2B Road game after handling Minnesota last week 30-23, I see a let down of sorts this weekend, not sure i even like the Rams to win the game. Long road trip after the Holidays into Baltimore, the weather might be icky, I don't see what others are envisioning here. 

MoP's Saturday take from the gut...like the way

Michel

has been playing these last few weeks and understanding Baltimore Defense ain't what it used to be or usually can be, that said I don't see

Michel

having a huge day and the entire Rams team on a B2B Road game after handling Minnesota last week 30-23, I see a let down of sorts this weekend, not sure i even like the Rams to win the game.

Long

road trip after the Holidays into Baltimore, the weather might be icky, I don't see what others are envisioning here. 

For the record, the BAL run DEF is pretty damn good.  I went back the last 7 weeks and it looks like there hasn't been any RB that has topped 70 yards against them and only 2 TDs total amongst all of those RBs.

Where the BAL DEF is bad is the secondary.  So if you got a RB that runs AND catches (like Joe Mixon last week) then you should be good to go.  I've got Sony Michel and while I'm tempted to start him over Damien Harris, Michel is just not involved in the passing game at all which SEVERELY limits his upside against BAL.

Somebody like Akers would be an excellent play IF he was the full time RB 1, but he's not.

For the record, the BAL run DEF is pretty damn good.  I went back the last 7 weeks and it looks like there hasn't been any RB that has topped 70 yards against them and only 2 TDs total amongst all of those RBs.

Where the BAL DEF is bad is the secondary.  So if you got a RB that runs AND catches (like Joe Mixon last week) then you should be good to go.  I've got Sony Michel and while I'm tempted to start him over Damien Harris, Michel is just not involved in the passing game at all which SEVERELY limits his upside against BAL.

Somebody like Akers would be an excellent play IF he was the full time RB 1, but he's not.
Excellent and you are making me feel better about where I am going with my roster. I have about every Ram except OBJ on multiple rosters, some leagues I'm actually only in the Semi this week, sickos like to play Week 18 Championships. 

After the Top guys that have been failing me of late like Zeke and Aaron Jones, then I've got to sort thru and figure out Penny-Scott-Wilson(if Mitchell-I/A), I have moved Zeke in and out of the line up a few times, hoping Aaron Jones shows up this weekend, but I also understand and have watched him in a pretty clear time split with AJD that i had not foreseen at the Draft. 

MoP's Saturday take from the gut...like the way Michel has been playing these last few weeks and understanding Baltimore Defense ain't what it used to be or usually can be, that said I don't see Michel having a huge day and the entire Rams team on a B2B Road game after handling Minnesota last week 30-23, I see a let down of sorts this weekend, not sure i even like the Rams to win the game. Long road trip after the Holidays into Baltimore, the weather might be icky, I don't see what others are envisioning here. 
I get the spot is ripe for a Rams letdown, but given how Stafford has played lately I think this is a get-right game for him. As a result Sony will benefit from a positive game script and 2nd and short's. Probably needs multiple scores for a league winner like line cause of the matchup, but I'll be very surprised if his box score ends in disappointment.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Cam Akers (Achilles') is not expected to play in Week 17 against the Ravens. 

No surprise here as Akers is only five months removed from tearing his Achilles' in July. Jake Funk will back up Sony Michel, he saw 28 touches last week. Michel figures to see another massive workload versus the Ravens. He ranks as one of the best fantasy options at running back this week.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 2, 2022, 9:24 AM ET

Sooooooo….he’s looking spry again and appears to be taking his featured job back. He won’t turn 23 until this summer and is about to be the featured back again in a top notch offense. I saw some discussion in the Rams/Cards game thread. Does he ascend to a top 20 dynasty asset this summer?

Sooooooo….he’s looking spry again and appears to be taking his featured job back. He won’t turn 23 until this summer and is about to be the featured back again in a top notch offense. I saw some discussion in the Rams/Cards game thread. Does he ascend to a top 20 dynasty asset this summer?
It’s not going to take until the summer. He’ll be there in next month’s mock drafts. 

Users who are viewing this thread