What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Cam Akers, MIN (1 Viewer)

I drafted Akers this year in dynasty.  I just offered David Johnson for Henderson and the Henderson owner wants me to throw in a 3rd.  Thoughts?

One more wrinkle... another owner offered me Malcolm Brown and Marvin Jones for Sammy Watkins and Darrell Williams.

Do I do both deals and wrap it up?

Nothing against Akers or Brown, but neither are at Henderson's skill level. They simply don't offer the dynamic element / game changing ability he does.

Maybe Akers settles in as a 1st/2nd down popper but Henderson has the ability to play all 3. I mean McVay could always throw Akers in for downs 1-2 but IMO at the expense of taking the better player off the field. Only reason I could fathom doing that is simply not having faith Henderson can stay healthy.

I've never ever understand what people (you could probably include McVay as well) don't see in Henderson. The guy has elite level skill. One of the greatest mysteries in recent football memory (to me) is HTF McVay didn't have Henderson taking a large chunk away from Gurley. Henderson jumped off the screen when he touched the ball. Aaron Jones - Jamaal Williams is the only reason example where it's abundantly abundantly abundantly obvious one guy is at a completely different level of skill than the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing against Akers or Brown, but neither are at Henderson's skill level. They simply don't offer the dynamic element / game changing ability he does.

Maybe Akers settles in as a 1st/2nd down popper but Henderson has the ability to play all 3. I mean McVay could always throw Akers in for downs 1-2 but IMO at the expense of taking the better player off the field. Only reason I could fathom doing that is simply not having faith Henderson can stay healthy.

I've never ever understand what people (you could probably include McVay as well) don't see in Henderson. The guy has elite level skill. One of the greatest mysteries in recent football memory (to me) is HTF McVay didn't have Henderson taking a large chunk away from Gurley. Henderson jumped off the screen when he touched the ball. Aaron Jones - Jamaal Williams is the only reason example where it's abundantly abundantly abundantly obvious one guy is at a completely different level of skill than the other.
I still believe Akers will get a push at some point - he's a 'name', he has draft capital and people want to gush over the exciting talent etc....but yeah, Henderson is a better RB and it isn't close. If McVay was actually smart, he'd let Henderson get some work in the passing game too because he's pretty dynamic there too. 

Cam Akers didn't have any touches in Week 6 against the 49ers.

Akers only played a couple snaps. It’s a surprise after he had one of his better games last week (nine carries, 61 yards). It’s possible Akers isn’t fully over his rib injury. The Rams should look to get Akers more involved in Week 7.

Oct 18, 2020, 11:59 PM ET

I still believe Akers will get a push at some point - he's a 'name', he has draft capital and people want to gush over the exciting talent etc....but yeah, Henderson is a better RB and it isn't close. If McVay was actually smart, he'd let Henderson get some work in the passing game too because he's pretty dynamic there too. 
Akers is indeed a "name", but it's not like Henderson is some UDFA who just rolled into a good spot. He was drafted in the 3rd round, so they also have high hopes for him as well. 

Unfortunately for Akers, Henderson is a young guy as well and not going anywhere, so barring an injury to Henderson, Akers is going to have to significantly outplay Henderson at some point over the next few years to become a bell cow. 

Well, so much for him earning more work.

Picked him up and totally regretting it. 
Doubt I would have played him anyway but last week I swapped McKissic out from RB7/8 to Akers. Logic being JD had a low ceiling - it’s full PPR so his floor the last month has been high - but if Akers has another 50 yard game he’d be pretty expense to add midweek.   

Overthinking 101.

Doubt I would have played him anyway but last week I swapped McKissic out from RB7/8 to Akers. Logic being JD had a low ceiling - it’s full PPR so his floor the last month has been high - but if Akers has another 50 yard game he’d be pretty expense to add midweek.   

Overthinking 101.
I added him hoping he would see some work and take the job. I didn't start him.

I'm out. It's not happening. Second week in a row with one snap. Well, he just got a carry, but it's garbage time.

Cam Akers didn't touch the ball in the Rams' Week 7 win over the Bears.

He played just a handful of snaps as the very distant RB3 behind Darrell Henderson (17 touches) and Malcolm Brown (10). Akers is merely a bench stash in fantasy should one of Henderson or Brown get injured. He hasn't touched the ball over the last two weeks after posting a 9-61 rushing line in Week 5 at Washington.

Oct 27, 2020, 12:01 AM ET

You can tell some sites do not watch the games and only scoreboard report. And then some people just copy/paste the mis-information (and don't officially credit who they copy/paste from)

1 & 10 - LAR 32

(0:07 - 3rd) C.Akers left end to CHI 28 for 4 yards (R.Smith). PENALTY on LAR-G.Everett Offensive Offside 5 yards enforced at CHI 32 - No Play.
Came in when Henderson left the game. Brown got the bulk of those carries though.

You can tell some sites do not watch the games and only scoreboard report. And then some people just copy/paste the mis-information (and don't officially credit who they copy/paste from)

Came in when Henderson left the game. Brown got the bulk of those carries though.
I mean, technically he “touched” the ball, but he didn’t get an official carry in the game.

Maybe McVay doesn't put a lot of trust in rookies unless forced to play them - not sure of his tendencies.

I think this is more a product of Henderson just playing very well. He's consistently graded high week to week this year. He probably would have had a great game last night if he didn't get dinged in the red zone, against a stout Bears defense.

Any rumors why he is not involved? Run over McVays dog perhaps?
Is there a reason he SHOULD be involved at the present moment? I'm asking from another POV rather than just "my guy ain't getting the touches"

If you follow the Rams this year, most of the time there isn't a real prize for being right or being the winner of the touch count for Rams Backs, it doesn't really earn them the start or assure them of anything the next week. 

I own Henderson and it's frustrating, was even dumb enough to carry Brown for weeks thinking I had the right combo there. I finally cut Brown and he has about 13 last night. 

If this thing is split 40/40/20 or whatever pie cut you want to use, the pot f gold at the end of the rainbow just doesn't seem to be there. Rams in general are frustrating. All those Everett targets that do nobody any good, Josh Reynolds vultures a TD, those scores don't help hardly anyone. 

If this thing is split 40/40/20 or whatever pie cut you want to use, the pot f gold at the end of the rainbow just doesn't seem to be there. Rams in general are frustrating.
I think the play here from a fantasy perspective is to treat Henderson like an RB2 with some nice upside week to week, ignore Brown completely (his role is defined, and too inconsistent for fantasy), and stash Akers.

If Henderson goes down, it's going to open a window for Akers, and Brown should continue to operate in his role. It's working.

I think the play here from a fantasy perspective is to treat Henderson like an RB2 with some nice upside week to week, ignore Brown completely (his role is defined, and too inconsistent for fantasy), and stash Akers.

If Henderson goes down, it's going to open a window for Akers, and Brown should continue to operate in his role. It's working.
That's the best summary I've seen and echos my thoughts at the moment. 

Is there a reason he SHOULD be involved at the present moment? I'm asking from another POV rather than just "my guy ain't getting the touches"

If you follow the Rams this year, most of the time there isn't a real prize for being right or being the winner of the touch count for Rams Backs, it doesn't really earn them the start or assure them of anything the next week. 

I own Henderson and it's frustrating, was even dumb enough to carry Brown for weeks thinking I had the right combo there. I finally cut Brown and he has about 13 last night. 

If this thing is split 40/40/20 or whatever pie cut you want to use, the pot f gold at the end of the rainbow just doesn't seem to be there. Rams in general are frustrating. All those Everett targets that do nobody any good, Josh Reynolds vultures a TD, those scores don't help hardly anyone. 
I could argue it telegraphs the play. Henderson in primarily in on running plays and Brown on passing plays.

Not sure that warrants a change as the recipe appears to be working, but you asked for a reason and it's the only one at the moment. 

RushHour said:
Henderson is better and McVay has a thing for Malcolm Brown 
During the game last night Brown had a few yard run that he pushed the pile of the entire bears d to turn into a ten yard run.  It was really a great power run.  Malcolm Brown deserves those touches.

Are any of the ship jumpers speaking from a Dynasty perspective? I am curious what it would take to buy him. Would a '21 2nd do it? This is a rebuilding team probably in the 2.4-2.6 range. 

Patience people.  Did RoJo receive a carry his rookie year when all they had was Peyton Barber?  Brown is out of there after this year.  His time will come.  

Are any of the ship jumpers speaking from a Dynasty perspective? I am curious what it would take to buy him. Would a '21 2nd do it? This is a rebuilding team probably in the 2.4-2.6 range. 
Not for me. I’m a pretty patient dynasty owner though. I held Henry since his rookie year. Heck, I just now cut Arcega-Whiteside and it killed me to do that.

I’ll be holding Akers for at least this year and next.

I'm not a fan of Akers at all, but if you drafted him, you have to just hold because you won't get the value back for where you took him. The good thing about Akers is that he's a sexy name in the dynasty community and has heaps of truthers so even if he doesn't get another carry all year, he'll still be a decent trade commodity. You'll have opportunities to get out if you want to later. There will be an Akers believer in your league. 

Not unless i can get a similar RB with a similar talent offence/ Oline

You'd need a really really really skittish owner to accept a 2nd for a player that went top five in a lot of rookie drafts.

Cam Akers rushed nine times for 35 yards in the Rams' Week 8 loss to the Dolphins.

He added a 19-yard catch on his lone target in the passing game. With Darrell Henderson (thigh) exiting late in the first half, the Rams inserted Akers into the lead role as the 1A alongside 1B Malcolm Brown. The nine carries were Akers' first since Week 6. The Rams now have their bye, allowing Henderson to rest up for Week 10 against Seattle. If Henderson can't go, Akers will be an RB2.-

- Rotoworld
See this is where I disagree with Roto. I think this was more a "we are losing big so let's get Akers lots of work"; I feel Brown is the back to own if Hendo is out next week.

See this is where I disagree with Roto. I think this was more a "we are losing big so let's get Akers lots of work"; I feel Brown is the back to own if Hendo is out next week.
HENDERSON WAS FORCED TO LEAVE WITH A THIGH INJURY IN THE FIRST HALF 🤷‍♂️

Agree on Brown 

felt all year as the bigger back and a proven commodity Malcolm was the clear handcuff

that's been my bet, have Brown on the bench (at one point I held Cam for a week or two)

I'll let someone else waste FAAB on Akers next week

? I don't know what you mean with the caps.
My caps got stuck, just wanted you to know an injury seemed to be the big reason why Akers saw any action. 

I think Henderson had 8 carries in the 1st Q and he looked like he was gaining nice yardage, at least a couple 10+ varieties with first downs. It looked like a great recipe for success early and then suddenly Miami was ahead 28-7 and Henderson had a thigh injury forcing him form the games. 

Sorry about the caps, I'm not yelling more emphasizing

Users who are viewing this thread