What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Cam Akers, MIN (2 Viewers)

Could waiver scraps from 3 weeks ago be turning into an RB1?

We could be watching his breakout game.

99 yards in the 1st quarter, then Goff gets a 1 yard rushing TD. That's how The Man sticks it to ya kids.
Touchdown will come... But yeah, damn... Akers has accumulated 100 scrimmage yards already and 1st quarter isn't even done yet.  :pickle:

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks awesome in every aspect except speed. He has great vision, great quickness, a bit of power, and seems to have a good sense of things. But he just looks a bit slow.

I’m glad I have him in dynasty - I just hope this keeps up and he takes over this backfield.

I'll be the first to give credit where credit is due, but his blocking is the main reason behind his recent success. I have yet to see him create on his own tonight.

He looks awesome in every aspect except speed. He has great vision, great quickness, a bit of power, and seems to have a good sense of things. But he just looks a bit slow.

I’m glad I have him in dynasty - I just hope this keeps up and he takes over this backfield.
I’m trying to figure out if he runs slow in pads or if he’s just so smooth that he appears to be moving slowly.  I know...that sounds weird but he did run a 4.47 in the 40 at the combine so he’s plenty fast enough in shorts. 

Not sure I agree.  He’s not blazing by any means but he doesn’t look slow.  Weird take.

I'll be the first to give credit where credit is due, but his blocking is the main reason behind his recent success. I have yet to see him create on his own tonight.
Oh come on this is ridiculous.  People saying he looks slow and it’s all the offensive line.  Geez let’s give the kid some credit.  Tough crowd

Oh come on this is ridiculous.  People saying he looks slow and it’s all the offensive line.  Geez let’s give the kid some credit.  Tough crowd
Yeah, he has shown good vision, made the right cuts, and pounded between the tackles when needed.  

Is he not the next man up? Were the Rams top 5 in rushing before Akers got his recent burn? Did Gurley and Darrell Henderson find success? It's the blocking and the scheme here. Akers hasn't impressed me, and I want to be impressed, I'm not trying to fight it.

Is he not the next man up? Were the Rams top 5 in rushing before Akers got his recent burn? Did Gurley and Darrell Henderson find success? It's the blocking and the scheme here. Akers hasn't impressed me, and I want to be impressed, I'm not trying to fight it.
No he’s pulled away from the completion.  Henderson apparently isn’t hitting thhe open holes like Akers is that’s why he’s been benched.  Not every RB is Barry Sanders.  There’s something to be said for hitting the holes quickly and getting yards.

Lots of salty Henderson owners here I see.  McVay is a good/great coach who wants to win.  There’s a reason he’s playing Akers and we’re seeing it tonight.

For the record I own all 3 guys.  I’m just happy it seems like 1 guy is pulling away from the pack.  Makes it much easier to decide who to start from this backfield now.

No he’s pulled away from the completion.  Henderson apparently isn’t hit the open holes like Akers is that’s why he’s been benched.  Not every RB is Barry Sanders.  There’s something to be said for hit the holes quickly and getting yards.
We don't know why Henderson has all of the sudden turned into a pumpkin, but I assume he is dealing with an injury. McVay and Shanahan are very tight and I suspect McVay is trying to take a page out of Kyle's run game philosophy where everybody blocks. You plug anyone in there and they're going to eat. My question that still hasn't been answered is, will Akers turn into a pumpkin when things break down or aren't going his way? What will he look like if a lineman or two go down, can he manage to create on his own? It's just hard to be objective about the talent when you're a cog in the machine. Every RB has found success in this scheme, much like what's going on in SF. I just need to see more from Akers, that's all.

P.S. - I have Akers on my fantasy team, not for his talent, more because I believe in his situation. But it's one thing to tout the player vs. the situation or surroundings the player is in, those are distinct from one another.

Not sure I agree.  He’s not blazing by any means but he doesn’t look slow.  Weird take.
lol. Your take is a bit weird too.

You say he’s “not blazing by any means.” But you think my take that he looks slow is weird?

I’m a HUGE Akers fan. I gave up Saquon in a package where Akers was the primary piece before the Saquon injury. So trust me when I say I am very vested in Akers succeeding.

As I said, he looks great in every aspect: I’m just not seeing break away speed. :shrug:

You say he’s “not blazing by any means.” But you think my take that he looks slow is weird?

I’m a HUGE Akers fan. I gave up Saquon in a package where Akers was the primary piece before the Saquon injury. So trust me when I say I am very vested in Akers succeeding.

As I said, he looks great in every aspect: I’m just not seeing break away speed. :shrug:
He's got oodles more speed than James Robinson of the Jags, that's for sure.

Akers pretty much had the exact same measurables at the combine as Dalvin Cook.  What's this talk of him not being blazing fast?
Yeah, he looks fast.

eta* I have no shares of him anywhere, and he just looks quick.

My point is he’s not a burner but he’s not slow either.  Looks like average RB speed to me not slow.  Shouldnt have singled you out as I’ve seen others say it.  Slow reminds me of the plodding fullbacks of the 70s and 80s

Have him in over Drake, which is an easy choice for me, especially now that Drake just popped on the injury report.
Kicking myself for not doing the same after Drake showed up late on the injury report. At least I have him starting in my other league over Wicket(Elliot) where it doesn’t matter because I have a 1st round bye  :doh: :wall:

We don't know why Henderson has all of the sudden turned into a pumpkin, but I assume he is dealing with an injury. McVay and Shanahan are very tight and I suspect McVay is trying to take a page out of Kyle's run game philosophy where everybody blocks. You plug anyone in there and they're going to eat. My question that still hasn't been answered is, will Akers turn into a pumpkin when things break down or aren't going his way? What will he look like if a lineman or two go down, can he manage to create on his own? It's just hard to be objective about the talent when you're a cog in the machine. Every RB has found success in this scheme, much like what's going on in SF. I just need to see more from Akers, that's all.

P.S. - I have Akers on my fantasy team, not for his talent, more because I believe in his situation. But it's one thing to tout the player vs. the situation or surroundings the player is in, those are distinct from one another.
When I think of Henderson, I think about how he couldn't get on the field last year when Gurley looked washed. They also spent a high pick on Akers this year. I just don't think he is their long term plan for the position. There is something he isn't doing enough of for the Rams.

My point is he’s not a burner but he’s not slow either.  Looks like average RB speed to me not slow.  Shouldnt have singled you out as I’ve seen others say it.  Slow reminds me of the plodding fullbacks of the 70s and 80s
Alright. Fair enough. I’ll agree “slow” was the wrong word to use. He’s just not crazy fast, but dang, he sure does look smooth.

When I think of Henderson, I think about how he couldn't get on the field last year when Gurley looked washed. They also spent a high pick on Akers this year. I just don't think he is their long term plan for the position. There is something he isn't doing enough of for the Rams.
Yup. Their decisions are letting you know all you need to know about Henderson, never mind how good he looks. 

I agree with this and is the reason I gave up so much to get Akers in dynasty. Brown and Henderson didn’t do much at all last year when Gurley was obviously hurt. It just seemed like the Rams really wanted Akers to succeed.

Nobody is touting Henderson, I never thought much of him, never will. The fact that he ate early in the season supports my feeling on this. My whole stance here is that it's the scheme and blocking that is responsible for most of the run game success. The other reason for the run game success is they have many receivers you have to pay attention to. 

Nobody is touting Henderson, I never thought much of him, never will. My whole stance here is that it's the scheme and blocking that is responsible for most of the run game success.
Why is that so important? If Akers is the beneficiary of the scheme, can’t we all just be happy with that?

Why is that so important? If Akers is the beneficiary of the scheme, can’t we all just be happy with that?
It's talent evaluation vs. fantasy evaluation. If you can get the first part down, then the latter becomes easier. Most people do the opposite, they look at the stats first, then evaluate. Then they complain when they end up dropping a player two weeks later. I like to know what exactly I'm investing in. If I'm investing in someone with a long term outlook, I need to understand what makes a player successful. You put James Robinson behind this line and he leads the league in rushing

It's talent evaluation vs. fantasy evaluation. If you can get the first part down, then the latter becomes easier. Most people do the opposite, they look at the stats first, then evaluate. Then they complain when they end up dropping a player two weeks later. I like to know what exactly I'm investing in. If I'm investing in someone with a long term outlook, I need to understand what makes a player successful. You put James Robinson behind this line and he leads the league in rushing
But if the scheme is good, and the line is good, and the coach is good and young, and the RB is successful, why can’t we assume it will continue?

And, isn’t this just your evaluation? The Rams drafted him to be the man. They slowly worked him in and finally turned the backfield over to him. I’m gonna guess they are better talent evaluators than we are. Maybe we should believe a little.

Agree to disagree here.  Yes the Rams scheme is good but Akers deserves some credit for taking the bill by the horn.  And since Akers and McVey don’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon I like the long term prospect for Akers from a fantasy perspective.  

Have a first round bye .5ppr. Week 15 which 2 do I start?  Akers, Gallman, Gaskin?
Similar situation. Bye with Henry as my RB1. Deciding between Gaskin, Gibson (if he plays), and Akers for my RB2.

No clue at this point. Let’s just enjoy tonight.

But if the scheme is good, and the line is good, and the coach is good and young, and the RB is successful, why can’t we assume it will continue?

And, isn’t this just your evaluation? The Rams drafted him to be the man. They slowly worked him in and finally turned the backfield over to him. I’m gonna guess they are better talent evaluators than we are. Maybe we should believe a little.
Bc the NFL stands for not for long. Continuity is so hard to achieve because success is dependent on other players. For us to assume all the conditions will stay the same is kinda wacky to me. I expect things to change, defenses to adapt and injuries to happen. Drafting a RB in the first few rounds is no longer a statement as it used to be. Many teams draft RBs early bc they they fit the scheme. Edwards-Helaire comes to mind. Sony Michel comes to mind. More than half of all RBs drafted fail and are out of the league within 3 years.

I tend to like players that can create on their own. Because it's like a crutch, if you take away the thing that makes you successful, will that player still be able to succeed? If Goff were to go down, will Akers still eat? If they put 9 in the box, will he still eat? If Woods or Kupp were to go down would that affect his success? If the line is having a crappy day blocking, will he still get his? Akers has not answered any of these questions for me. He has been running through holes untouched, my grandmother would be able to get 100 yards on this team.

Akers had the most rushing yards against the Pats than any RB since since 2013. And he had the most rushing yards tonight by any rookie this year.

Thats a good way to break out.

Users who are viewing this thread