What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Cam Akers, MIN (1 Viewer)

Similar situation. Bye with Henry as my RB1. Deciding between Gaskin, Gibson (if he plays), and Akers for my RB2.

No clue at this point. Let’s just enjoy tonight.
Do we have the same team?  Henry also my RB1.  Will circle back here week 15.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bc the NFL stands for not for long. Continuity is so hard to achieve because success is dependent on other players. For us to assume all the conditions will stay the same is kinda wacky to me. I expect things to change, defenses to adapt and injuries to happen. Drafting a RB in the first few rounds is no longer a statement as it used to be. Many teams draft RBs early bc they they fit the scheme. Edwards-Helaire comes to mind. Sony Michel comes to mind. More than half of all RBs drafted fail and are out of the league within 3 years.

I tend to like players that can create on their own. Because it's like a crutch, if you take away the thing that makes you successful, will that player still be able to succeed? If Goff were to go down, will Akers still eat? If they put 9 in the box, will he still eat? If Woods or Kupp were to go down would that affect his success? If the line is having a crappy day blocking, will he still get his? Akers has not answered any of these questions for me. He has been running through holes untouched, my grandmother would be able to get 100 yards on this team.
He just had the most rushing yards by any RB against the Patriots since 2013.

Maybe the issue here is your eyes aren’t seeing what others are seeing?

Its obvious you aren’t a fan. We are all going to have another glass of whiskey and toast to our guy breaking out. You’re welcome to join us if you’d like. 🥃

Bc the NFL stands for not for long. Continuity is so hard to achieve because success is dependent on other players. For us to assume all the conditions will stay the same is kinda wacky to me. I expect things to change, defenses to adapt and injuries to happen. Drafting a RB in the first few rounds is no longer a statement as it used to be. Many teams draft RBs early bc they they fit the scheme. Edwards-Helaire comes to mind. Sony Michel comes to mind. More than half of all RBs drafted fail and are out of the league within 3 years.

I tend to like players that can create on their own. Because it's like a crutch, if you take away the thing that makes you successful, will that player still be able to succeed? If Goff were to go down, will Akers still eat? If they put 9 in the box, will he still eat? If Woods or Kupp were to go down would that affect his success? If the line is having a crappy day blocking, will he still get his? Akers has not answered any of these questions for me. He has been running through holes untouched, my grandmother would be able to get 100 yards on this team.
There aren’t many RBs in today’s NFL that would do well against 8 and 9 man fronts.  That’s literally a handful of guys.  No one is proclaiming Akers to be that but he looks like an excellent RB2 right now.  Not everyone can get a Dalvin Cook type on their roster.  

Hitting the mark at just the right moment, have been holding him all year long, 3 weeks double digits and the NY Jets next week...looking good for a Playoff Run. 

He just had the most rushing yards by any RB against the Patriots since 2013.

Maybe the issue here is your eyes aren’t seeing what others are seeing?

Its obvious you aren’t a fan. We are all going to have another glass of whiskey and toast to our guy breaking out. You’re welcome to join us if you’d like. 🥃
Literally poured a glass of Crown Royal XO as the 4th quarter started.

Cam Akers rushed 29 times for 171 yards in the Rams' Week 14 win over the Patriots, adding two receptions for 23 additional yards. 

Akers' hostile takeover of the Rams' backfield is complete, as he out-touched Darrell Henderson and Malcolm Brown a combined 32-2. Pro Football Focus charted him with 55 snaps compared to Henderson's seven and Brown's six. His 194 yards from scrimmage were the 12th most by any player all season. Akers' impressive 5.9 YPC would have been much higher if not for some brick-walling late in obvious run situations. Running through enormous holes, Akers had four runs of 10-plus yards. Not that Akers wasn't tacking on yardage of his own. It was a flat dominant performance on an evening where Jared Goff wasn't offering much as a passer. Coach Sean McVay has made a habit of throwing curveballs in his backfield this season, but this genie isn't going back in the bottle. Akers will be the leader as the Rams look to seal the deal on a playoff spot. The pathetic Jets are a dream Week 15 matchup, one that will have Akers in the RB1 mix.  

Dec 10, 2020, 11:07 PM ET

9-84-TD...FLUKE!!! That can't be right, hit me again Sam, I gotta see it one more time. 

20-72-TD, 22 yds rec on top so almost 100 yds and a TD...FLUKE!!! There's no way this can continue, am I right?

Tonight...29/171, 23 yds rec on top, almost 200 total yds of offense. 

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets next weekend, need to see a Portis like day, 200+ rush and 4 TDs or something absurd. 

He doesn't have to but it would be nice to see him get some cheap points and yards next week smashing thru the Jets. I hope 29 carries didn't make him tired for next week. 

9-84-TD...FLUKE!!! That can't be right, hit me again Sam, I gotta see it one more time. 

20-72-TD, 22 yds rec on top so almost 100 yds and a TD...FLUKE!!! There's no way this can continue, am I right?

Tonight...29/171, 23 yds rec on top, almost 200 total yds of offense. 

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets next weekend, need to see a Portis like day, 200+ rush and 4 TDs or something absurd. 

He doesn't have to but it would be nice to see him get some cheap points and yards next week smashing thru the Jets. I hope 29 carries didn't make him tired for next week. 
10 days rest, woot!

Agree to disagree here.  Yes the Rams scheme is good but Akers deserves some credit for taking the bill by the horn.  And since Akers and McVey don’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon I like the long term prospect for Akers from a fantasy perspective.  
I hope this was intentional 

I wouldn't have started him tonight if not for the news about McCaffery. I was planning on waiting until Sunday and then pivoting to Hunt if needed. But I threw Akers in the mix instead because I like him over Hunt now that I know CMC is out. Fortunate turn, sort of. 

I’m not fully trusting the situation because McVay burned me earlier this year.  Is this really the Akers show moving forward?

I’m not fully trusting the situation because McVay burned me earlier this year.  Is this really the Akers show moving forward?
Akers is the first of the 3 Ram RBs to have that kind of usage in back to back games. Brown had back to back 12 touch games and Henderson a couple of 15 touch games but nothing like this. Especially with all 3 healtyish

There’s always one in every player thread 🤦‍♂️

Said earlier in this thread he would have been a first round pick if he played on the same FSU teams that Dalvin Cook did. Guy really got a bad deal behind those terrible FSU lines and Jimbo leaving. Can’t believe people said he didn’t have vision because he was getting tackled behind the line at FSU, while playing behind the worst line in D1. 

So happy for him, hope he gets a giant contract in a few years. 

Akers is on track to be the playoff hero for a lot of teams.  Long term he seems like a worthy RB2 or Flex.
In this offense, he has the potential to be a RB1 easily.  He was getting fed often yesterday. Even when he shouldn't have been in the game he was getting carries.

Admittedly, I fell asleep sometime in the 4th quarter.  But he looked good... smooth and quick, but not fast (not slow either).

It will still be a hard situation to fully trust but I believe the timeshare earlier this year was a result of Akers struggling to learn the offense and then getting hurt. McVay had some comment a few weeks ago about Akers needing to improve when "the ball isn't in his hands". Now that he seems to be healthy and up to speed on pass blocking or whatever else McVay was referring to, it might be his show.

THAT FEELS SOOOO GOOD!!!!

I love me some Akers and i couldn't feel any better about it. Finally had his week. Now hopefully McVay doesn't look back and keeps it up. 

Cam Akers might have a little bit of magic.  He doesn't go down easily.  He bounces off of defenders like Maurice Jones Drew.  He can cut and spin.  With Akers fully healthy and the Rams declaring that his role will increase, this week might be the week that Sean McVay starts the Cam Akers Experiment to see what happens when he touches the ball 20 times a game.  The experiment will end quickly if Akers fails at pass protection.  But he could also be a top-5 running back rest of season.  He is in a very running back friendly offense.  McVay has never supported Henderson as starter.  Malcolm Brown is JAG.

2019 Cam Akers Highlights

Cam Akers 2020 All Plays
You should get paid for your prognostications.

https://nesn.com/2020/12/cam-akers-rams-explain-what-went-into-dominating-patriots-run-defense/

Gotta like when RB's give credit where it's due:

“The offensive line is the reason the run game was so successful tonight, in my opinion,” Akers told reporters postgame. “Those guys got great push every time we ran the ball, and it showed. The run game was very successful tonight, and we want to keep stacking blocks.”

And really gotta like when the coach says things like this:

“I think he’s really started with the way that he’s practicing,” head coach Sean McVay said. “He’s a creative runner. He can put his shoulder down, he can finish, he’s got the explosive speed. You can just see this guy is going to be a special player. This was a great night for him. Really happy for Cam (Akers) and his teammates.”

This guy may have just saved my season.  Congrats to all of you that have been holding and/or been playing him the last few weeks.  I only played him last night after reading that Booker may not be starting since Jacobs is trending towards playing.  

This is a RB1 if I have ever seen one as long as McVay doesn’t try to get cute with a dumb committee.  

Akers is having that moment this morning like when McFly knocks over Biff and the kids all want him to run for class President as he's dancing in the gymnasium. 

First of all, let's keep this to football.  And celebrate Cam's night.

Second, the Jets play in NJ, Copernicus.

Third, why the anger with the greatest city in the world? Should I roll out the Montana jokes? 

Akers put up a fantastic stat line yesterday. After having watched a lot of his tape pretty extensively in the pre draft process I think he still has room to grow. He hasn’t yet shown the confidence I seen on tape especially in the first half of last nights game. He seemed to get better with that with just about every carry in imo.  While he’s great at making cuts I did feel he could’ve made some better choices as to which direction/lane to take last night more often than I ever seen in a college game of his. 

with that said, I fully believe (as I did before the draft) he’s the best rb in the backfield by far and his arrow is still pointing up.  Weird to say after that performance I know. Which leaves me to wonder what a fair value for Henderson is now as far a a handcuff. I view Henderson as a great fill in guy if Akers is to sustain an injury but I’m not so sure the rams will resign him after his rookie contract. Curious what other Akers owner would be willing to pay for him and what henderson owners are willing to sell for? Tia

Akers put up a fantastic stat line yesterday. After having watched a lot of his tape pretty extensively in the pre draft process I think he still has room to grow. He hasn’t yet shown the confidence I seen on tape especially in the first half of last nights game. He seemed to get better with that with just about every carry in imo.  While he’s great at making cuts I did feel he could’ve made some better choices as to which direction/lane to take last night more often than I ever seen in a college game of his. 

with that said, I fully believe (as I did before the draft) he’s the best rb in the backfield by far and his arrow is still pointing up.  Weird to say after that performance I know. Which leaves me to wonder what a fair value for Henderson is now as far a a handcuff. I view Henderson as a great fill in guy if Akers is to sustain an injury but I’m not so sure the rams will resign him after his rookie contract. Curious what other Akers owner would be willing to pay for him and what henderson owners are willing to sell for? Tia
Could have had Henderson relatively cheaply at our league’s trade deadline but chose to use the asset for Jonnu, hoping he goes elsewhere. I feel pretty confident I can get Henderson next year at the draft to handcuff

Could have had Henderson relatively cheaply at our league’s trade deadline but chose to use the asset for Jonnu, hoping he goes elsewhere. I feel pretty confident I can get Henderson next year at the draft to handcuff
What do you think you’ll be offering as a fair value? 

Well I wasn't smart enough to start him for Thursdays game.  I don't think I'll make that mistake again this year.  And I hope some of my other RBs perform almost as well as he did.

Rode Zeke to 🏆 #8 last year. Then traded that fool at the draft for the picks that became Akers and Hollywood. No regrets. #success

I'll bet if I look at 177 of your comments, 177 of them will be negative in some respect. I don't think you're here for reasons that are above-board. Let's just say that and let it be. 

This is your response to discussion? I literally talked positive about Zeke. Let it be after your attempt to insult me because I bring statistical fact you dont like? I also talked positive about Cam and Henderson in comparison. lol This is a trolling remark. 

Please keep this to football and not about me. It appears some dont wanna discuss Akers in perspective, they just wanna fawn over him.
You're clearly trolling this and other threads. You know exactly what I'm talking about. You should grow up. 

You have no regrets giving up a proven stud with a track record who is screwed cuz of no Dak, for a guy how has had 2 good games all year and a Ravens WR?

Reminder, Zeke had 3 games better then Akers last week game before Dak went down, and everyone is oozing over Akers? Quality move. 

Zeke has not scored a rushing TD since Dak got hurt. Stay grounded, this is the lunacy to even mention him in same breath as Zeke. Cam isnt running into 9 man boxes. Zeke had a 19 point game just 3 weeks ago and he is on a crap team right now.
Zeke is an idiot. Zeke got paid. Zeke’s OL is disintegrating. Zeke has a lot of miles on him. Sorry Zeke is crapping out, Cam is ready to roll on an offense that has a history of big RB numbers. Not running into 9 man boxes was expected. 

Week 3 when he ran for over 100 yards and even scored, finished only 2 fantasy points behind Akers great game.

So, I think you saw it but you just are on you giddy high cuz Akers finally showed something in week 14. 

Thats all this is, Akers had a great game and per usual everyone is out acting like he does it every week when he hasnt done it until Week 13 and 14. Now he is a stud? OK, go take him in the first next year, thats how this thread is hyping him. Akers looks good, but he is a Rams RB, this is still going to be a mess, with him looking to get the edge. 

What shocks me is with all we know about McVay and Rams RBs, you guys are this excited about one. Not that Akers isnt good, its everyones over reaction to his one game and some saying they rather have him over Zeke. Come on.

i was being facetious, yes, because no, henderson never had a game like this. he had a nice game, no doubt, with 120 yards on 21 touches on 49% of the snaps. but let's be honest: that's a far cry from 194 on 31 touches and 79% of the snaps. one is a break out game. the other is a big boy bellcow game.

and re the bolded part: i have no idea what you think you know about mcvay but the two things i know about mcvay are that a) his lead back averaged 21 touches per game the last three years and b) up until this year, mcvay gave his lead back 18+ looks in 40 of 48 games and never rotated backs.

smart money has always been on mcvay picking one RB to get the bulk of the opportunities. the long bet has always been that perhaps mcvay will change his ways and go full shanahan. (after picking a bellcow RB in the 2nd...)

maybe this will go back to a 3 headed committee. but it certainly looks like akers has seized the bellcow role and you have to squint real hard to believe otherwise.

Akers looked great on Thursday but it’s a bit puzzling to me how this has played out.

Even when Henderson was playing well and the “starter”, ripping off big runs, McVay would pull him out and go with Brown or Akers for bunches of snaps at a time, seemingly without logic or purpose (kind of like the Colts this year). It was a “hot hand” approach where getting hot was actually fairly meaningless in terms of getting more work. 

Suddenly on Thursday it’s just all Akers all the time? He definitely had the hot hand but that didn’t mean anything previously. What I take from this is that McVay has never really been on board with Henderson and Akers is who they want to be the man. Otherwise why would he change the approach basically overnight? 

one possible (probable?) explanation is mcvay didn't change (he has always been a bellcow back) but he never envisioned that role for henderson and without preseason action, it was risky to throw akers into that role too quickly (if goff gets murdered, their season is done).

and it wasn't overnight. akers saw 70% of the snaps and nearly all the touches for 6 straight quarters before thursday. writing was on the wall and i even posted about the bellcow signal we were getting last week.

one possible (probable?) explanation is mcvay didn't change (he has always been a bellcow back) but he never envisioned that role for henderson and without preseason action, it was risky to throw akers into that role too quickly (if goff gets murdered, their season is done).

and it wasn't overnight. akers saw 70% of the snaps and nearly all the touches for 6 straight quarters before thursday. writing was on the wall and i even posted about the bellcow signal we were getting last week.
I agree with this and I’d also add that we need to remember that Akers was injured so he may only recently be back to 100%.  That may be why it’s taken until week 14 to get him rolling. 

I believe McVay just doesn’t trust Henderson as a lead back for some reason.  No idea why but it certainly looks that way.  The Rams made a point after the draft about Akers being a guy “who can do everything and grow into an every down back”.  I think that is what they envisioned for him when they drafted him and now he’s finally healthy and they finally trust him in pass pro and other aspects to let him take the lead. 

Week 3 when he ran for over 100 yards and even scored, finished only 2 fantasy points behind Akers great game.

So, I think you saw it but you just are on you giddy high cuz Akers finally showed something in week 14. 

Thats all this is, Akers had a great game and per usual everyone is out acting like he does it every week when he hasnt done it until Week 13 and 14. Now he is a stud? OK, go take him in the first next year, thats how this thread is hyping him. Akers looks good, but he is a Rams RB, this is still going to be a mess, with him looking to get the edge. 

What shocks me is with all we know about McVay and Rams RBs, you guys are this excited about one. Not that Akers isnt good, its everyones over reaction to his one game and some saying they rather have him over Zeke. Come on.
What Point of View are you coming from? Feels like you are mixing Dynasty, Redraft and the 2021 "Draft" all in one sweeping judgement. 

-For those who kept him rostered all season, how could you not understand the excitement of perhaps finding that elusive RB2/Flex for players in ReDrafts especially as the Playoffs start unfolding? Isn't that why people invest in Rookies and many just cut them mid season because they haven't had a breakout game?

-How could you not want a RB who is getting as many snaps as Akers the last couple weeks? Factor in that the Rams are looking to make the Playoffs and potentially make a run, only 1 or 2 games back from Saints and Packers, they are built to win a road game IMO if and when it comes to that...Akers is peaking or appearing at just the right time.

-Stud? Who is injecting that into the conversation? Most people in the pLayoffs right now in PPR would be happy to just get a solid double digit performance out of almost any RBs, some of us are rotating Gordon and Hines(examples) and not feeling very confident. 

Thanks for your posts but I would take a step back and not be so eager to put down Akers or "Posters/Real People" that are wanting to learn more or gather up more information. 

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread