What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Zack Moss, CIN (2 Viewers)

Zack Moss rushed five times for 10 yards in the Bills' Week 6 loss to the Chiefs.

Moss missed the previous three games with a toe injury. He was getting red zone work ahead of Devin Singletary to start the year but the Bills were rarely in position for him to do so on Monday night. He'll need to take on a larger role before fantasy managers can consider starting him.

Oct 19, 2020, 8:59 PM ET

Bills seemed to really get out of sorts with these schedule shuffles, kind of bogus they lose the mini- bye in essence but the whole team looks a mess.  Really debating keeping him with a lot of the fresh meat on the RB wire this week.

There's no point sugar coating it. He's not very good. 
I’m a singletary owner and truther but not sure we can draw those conclusions yet. The Bills have completely forgotten about the run, and when they do it’s a shotgun draw play that gets blown up in the backfield half the time. Kind of frustrating to watch. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m a singletary owner and truther but not sure we can draw those conclusions yet. The Bills have completely forgotten about the run, and when they do it’s a shotgun draw play that gets blown up in the backfield half the time. Kind of frustrating to watch. 
Yes. I'd like to see some more runs from under center. Ultimately helps open up play action too. 

Zack Moss Gets Involved In The Passing Attack

Buffalo Bills running back Zack Moss has started off fairly slow this season, but played well against the New York Jets in Week 7. He rushed seven times for 47 yards and caught all three of his targets in the passing game for 25 yards. Moss continues to split up the carries with Devin Singletary in the backfield. However, Moss could hold flex value in PPR leagues if he continues getting involved in the passing game. Fantasy owners should watch and see what he does versus the New England Patriots next week.--Andy Webb - RotoBaller

Zack Moss (RB, BUF) - Week 8 Waiver Wire Pickups

BALLER MOVE: Add in 14+ Team PPR Leagues

ROSTERED: 46% of Leagues

ANALYSIS: While Zack Moss definitely looks more like a "next-man-up" option rather than a true RB2 with a heavy role, fantasy GMs are banking hard on him. Moss' rostership of 46% is incredibly high for some on just supplementary duties, but with Singletary putting on varying performances it makes sense to at least has Moss on the radar.

In the two games in which Moss went on to play in 35+ offensive snaps, he finished with 11.7 and 10.2 PPR points and outperformed Singletary even being part of fewer plays than the latter. Moss didn't play any game from Week 3 to Week 6 (included) due to injury, but he came back this past Sunday to put on his second-best performance to date. Moss rushed the ball 7 times for 47 yards (Singletary finished 10-for-32) and he also caught his three targets for 25 yards (to Singletary's 2-of-5 for 18 yards).

Moss should be the go-to third-down tailback and used more on pass plays than Singletary. When both rushers have played together for a full game (three times), Singletary just out-rushed Moss in carries 27 to 24. Moss might be a little expensive/hard to get find in the WW, but if you can get him he brings some good RB2 upside to the table.

Moss is definitely not a league winner these days, much less with Singletary healthy in the backfield having the RB1 role for him, but he could be a terrific handcuff and boasts FLEX-floor. A good option to go after for needy GMs playing on deeper leagues.

Zack Moss rushed 14 times for 81 yards and two touchdowns in the Bills' Week 8 win over the Patriots.

Moss was used extensively in the red zone but did not see a single target. However, that could be a result of the low passing volume overall for Buffalo. Josh Allen only attempted 18 passes. Devin Singletary was targeted just once. Moss's role is going to be very volatile on a weekly basis but he appears to have cemented himself as just as much of a threat as Singletary. If his role as the red zone back on a high-scoring offense remains steady in the coming weeks, Moss will be a weekly RB3.

- Rotoworld

Week 10 Dynasty Risers and Fallers: Brandin Cooks remains undervalued

Excerpt:

RISER: RB ZACK MOSS, BUFFALO BILLS

After ragging on Dobbins for not getting the bulk of his team’s carries, Moss now gets celebrated for not getting the bulk of his team’s carries. Why? Moss didn’t cost a top-five rookie draft pick to acquire six months ago. The argument here isn’t that Moss is a better dynasty asset than Dobbins. It’s that they are nearly identical. In games they’ve played together, Devin Singletary has the lean as a receiver, but Buffalo has gone with Moss where it counts the most: the red zone.

Player                              Carries    Targets   Red Zone Touches

Zack Moss                        52              10               17

Devin Singletary               53               21                9

Unlike Dobbins, who has seen five red-zone touches to Edwards’ seven over the past two weeks, Moss already has already locked down the most important role for a fantasy runner to have. Both running backs play for offenses that are putting up points in droves but remain relegated to splitting work with another player. They are both worth chasing the upside for teams that are looking to get ready for the 2021 season. 

Moss is simply the better value because most dynasty players are still anchored on their prior that he was a late first-round rookie selection, while Dobbins cost many teams a top-three selection. 

How do we feel about relying on Moss.  With some of the weather possibly affecting some of these passing attacks (and uncertainty still about Chubb)...Moss could be my RB2 or Flex spot.  I feel a little better with his redzone touches...but need a few more carries to trust him.  Then again...hard to trust RoJo even with a good matchup.

How do we feel about relying on Moss.  With some of the weather possibly affecting some of these passing attacks (and uncertainty still about Chubb)...Moss could be my RB2 or Flex spot.  I feel a little better with his redzone touches...but need a few more carries to trust him.  Then again...hard to trust RoJo even with a good matchup.
Over the past 3 weeks since Moss's return from injury, Moss's touches have been steadily climbing, as Singletary's have been going down. I know 3 weeks isn't a great sample size, but I said earlier before the season started that Moss will be taking over RB duties towards the 2nd half of the season. And that looks to be the case. It's either in this thread or the Singletary thread, I'm just too lazy right now to find it. Plus, Singletary only had one touch inside the 5 in the past couple weeks, if I remember correctly, he actually lost a yard or two. I don't think Singletary will be getting many more touches in goal line work for the rest of the season.

Week 7 -  Moss - 7   Singletary - 8

Week 8 -  Moss - 14 Singletary -  14

Week 9 - Moss - 9    Singletary - 2

Over the past 3 weeks since Moss's return from injury, Moss's touches have been steadily climbing, as Singletary's have been going down. I know 3 weeks isn't a great sample size, but I said earlier before the season started that Moss will be taking over RB duties towards the 2nd half of the season. And that looks to be the case. It's either in this thread or the Singletary thread, I'm just too lazy right now to find it. Plus, Singletary only had one touch inside the 5 in the past couple weeks, if I remember correctly, he actually lost a yard or two. I don't think Singletary will be getting many more touches in goal line work for the rest of the season.

Week 7 -  Moss - 7   Singletary - 8

Week 8 -  Moss - 14 Singletary -  14

Week 9 - Moss - 9    Singletary - 2
Looking at these numbers I see something completely different. The rushing attempts were nearly identical for 2 weeks and then last week Moss took bulk of carries at 9 total.  That looks like a 1 game sample and could be for many different reasons.  I own neither, but don't see what you see on steadily raising for Moss while declining for Singletary.

I'm all in on Moss as my RB2 rest of the way. Sanders is my one and I just traded Gordon to upgrade at WR. Moss is my only other viable RB (With Kelley fading). Dangerous play for sure but I'm in. 

Looking at these numbers I see something completely different. The rushing attempts were nearly identical for 2 weeks and then last week Moss took bulk of carries at 9 total.  That looks like a 1 game sample and could be for many different reasons.  I own neither, but don't see what you see on steadily raising for Moss while declining for Singletary.
My  mistake for not clarifying,    Moss's total touches for weeks 1,2 and 6 (he was injured for 3-5) were 22. Singletary's total for 1,2 and 6 were 29. Moss's total for 7-9 are 30, where Singletary's are 24.

Benching for Mike Davis

Benching for Mike Davis
Yeah it depends who you have. I like his usage and expect it to at least continue with upside for a larger share. Love the offense. I only have Moss in one spot and I really don't have other options so for me it is set it and forget it. Until CMC comes back.

I would start Davis over him.

I got Moss and ROJO on two teams together and at this point just no way I can put any trust in ROJO.  ROJO has to be among the NFL RB leaders last few weeks for most PPR points scored on the opening drive but it's become clear while he's technically the starter it feels more like he's the nominal starter, probably Arian's attempt at looking like he did not just hand the job over to Fournette. The only places I've started ROJO the last few weeks was teams with Fournette and not much else at RB so I just started both and hoped to get 20-25 from the duo.

But with respect to your question about how do I feel about relying on Moss? I don't like it. I own him on I believe 4 teams I have to set a lineup and he made his lineup debut on one of those teams last week and will be in 3 of the 4 teams lineups this week but it's relative to my options. I don't at all feel great about it but am playing him over the likes of the aforementioned ROJO, Henderson, and Kelley.

Play in one of those old school standard leagues. Thinking about rolling him out over Henderson, Gio or gibson

Since you and I are the only people on the planet who like Singletary.....how do you feel about Moss right now?
It looks like a split with Moss getting all the RZ work. Can't start Singletary with much confidence. I'm confused that they wanted to replace Singletary given how he ended the season last year but at this point I can't deny that's the direction they went. 

Zack Moss rushed seven times for 20 yards in Buffalo's Week 10 loss to Arizona.

He also saw two targets for -3 receiving yards. Moss hasn't found the end zone in two straight games but has quietly out-carried (16-6) and out-touched (19-10) teammate Devin Singletary in that stint. This backfield's lack of production can be attributed to OC Brian Daboll's play-calling during that stretch as he's leaned on Josh Allen for 87 attempts to 22 running back carries in that time. Moss is still the player to roster for re-draft leagues over Singletary for the rest of the year. 

Nov 16, 2020, 12:16 AM ET

Zack Moss rushed three times for nine yards in the Bills' Week 13 win over the 49ers.

He caught his lone pass-game target for five yards. Moss was essentially benched after losing a fumble inside his own five-yard line in the first quarter, leading directly to a Niners touchdown. As a result, Devin Singletary touched the ball 21 times to Moss' four. We'd guess this will only be a one-week punishment. Prior to Monday, Moss had been out-snapping Singletary for weeks and getting more red-zone carries. Moss, however, can't be trusted for Week 14 fantasy lineups against Pittsburgh.

Dec 7, 2020, 11:56 PM ET

Yup, this isn't the first time Mcdermott has done this. He's done this with both Singletary and Yeldon last year. More so with Yeldon than Singletary. 0 tolerance for fumbles. Understandable in real life, sucks for fantasy.

Yep, totally par for the course with McDermott.  This coaching staff doesn't so much ride the hot hand as much as they put the cold hand in their pocket and don't take it back out.

Moss will be fine long term IMO.

Edit: To clarify, I mean "fine" in terms of his role on the team, not from any particular fantasy standpoint.  My bad.

Moss will be fine long term IMO.
Depends on what one means by fine. Moss has shown some flashes this year, but has underwhelmed for the most part compared to what many expected. I wonder if he'll ever be more than a decent complementary back. Rookie RBs often show their stuff their first year or they get buried in the depth chart - even Singletary showed a lot more his first year with lesser surrounding talent.  

Yup, this isn't the first time Mcdermott has done this. He's done this with both Singletary and Yeldon last year. More so with Yeldon than Singletary. 0 tolerance for fumbles. Understandable in real life, sucks for fantasy.
Moss should appeal. I mean the stats show Allen with the fumble, not Moss. Lol

NFL coaches benching a guy for a single fumble is one of the stupidest things in football IMO. Old school hard-line BS.

Zack Moss rushed 13 times for 81 yards in Week 15 against the Broncos. 

Moss was the clear lead back this week, with Devin Singletary finishing with five fewer carries. He was also the more effective runner, as Singletary got most of his yards and scored on a meaningless 51-yard TD on Buffalo's final drive. Moss' role was largely gameflow dependent on a night Buffalo led throughout, but this was a positive step for the rookie third-rounder. Moss has a matchup with the Patriots in Week 16.

Dec 19, 2020, 8:13 PM ET

Zack Moss rushed 12 times for 57 yards and one touchdown in the Bills' Week 16 win over the Patriots.

His lone catch went for no gain, as Moss narrowly out-touched backfield mate Devin Singletary 13-12 in this one and scored the lone touchdown between the two with a five-yard plunge in the second quarter following dropped passing touchdowns by Taiwan Jones and Dawson Knox. Moss has the edge for touchdowns between he and Singletary, but both are behind Josh Allen at the goal line most weeks. Moss is a TD-or-bust RB3 for Week 17 against the Dolphins.

Dec 28, 2020, 11:18 PM ET

Zack Moss (ankle) could miss the remainder of the postseason. 

Moss was carted off after suffering the ankle injury Saturday against the Colts. NFL Network's Mike Garafolo said there's some hope the rookie could return to the lineup if Buffalo makes a deep postseason run, but for now, Devin Singletary will be the Bills' primary ball carrier. Singletary still doesn't have much upside in the Bills' pass-first offense. 

RELATED: 

Devin Singletary

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Jan 9, 2021, 7:00 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Zack Moss (ankle) will miss the rest of the postseason.

Moss' rookie year comes to a close with 481 yards and four touchdowns on 112 carries, tacking on another 95 yards and a score in the passing game. The Bills likely expected more from their third-round selection but Devin Singletary actually ended up out-touching Moss 142-126 in 13 full games together. Moss impressed with 6.7 yards per catch when given a chance out of the backfield but still saw just 18 targets due to Josh Allen's propensity to avoid checking down. With Singletary still on his rookie deal in 2021, Moss will merely be a late-round flier for fantasy leagues next year.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 11, 2021, 2:21 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Zack Moss had "tight rope" ankle surgery.

This procedure was made famous with Tua Tagovailoa before the 2019 National Championship game. It will treat his high-ankle sprain. Schefter reports Moss is expected to be at full health for offseason workouts and training camp. As a rookie, Moss played ahead of Devin Singletary in obvious rushing downs. With both backs under contract for 2021, expect this to be a running back by committee, leaving both backs in no mans land. Moss belongs on the RB3/4 border ahead of 2021 fantasy drafts.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 19, 2021, 6:06 PM ET

Bills head coach Sean McDermott said he's "looking forward" to having RB Zack Moss (ankle) ready for training camp. 

Moss underwent ankle surgery in January and is continuing his rehab as minicamps get underway. In his rookie year, Moss shared the Buffalo backfield with Devin Singletary, seeing 156 carries to Singletary's 112. Singletary served as the team's primary pass-catching back. McDermott said he's been "impressed" by Singletary in offseason practices. It will probably be advisable to draft whichever Buffalo running back is available later in drafts this summer. Neither player offers much upside in the ultra pass-heavy Bills offense.

RELATED: 

Devin Singletary

SOURCE: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter 

Jun 15, 2021, 11:58 AM ET

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia said RB Zack Moss could "take over the backfield in 2021 if he continues to improve." 

A more consistent role in Buffalo's high-powered offense could land Moss 70 percent of the team's snaps, Buscaglia said. That would make the second-year back a screaming value in the ninth or tenth round of 12-team formats. He said Moss, the team's third round pick in 2020, "has underrated receiving skills, he’s their best runner between the tackles, showed a punishing rushing style that routinely maximized attempts and is the Bills’ preferred goal-line back." Moss' rookie campaign was marred by a nagging turf toe injury and some fumbling issues that gave Devin Singletary a shot as the lead back. Singletary did next to nothing with his opportunity. We'll see Moss' ADP climb this summer if it becomes clear he's the Bills' 1A backfield option. 

RELATED: 

Devin Singletary

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jun 30, 2021, 12:46 PM ET

The Athletic's Matthew Fairburn reports Zack Moss has "consistently been the best running back" at Bills camp.

It sounds like Moss has worked more with the first-team offense, and Devin Singletary has been featured with the twos, though both see time with the ones. "From what we’ve seen, Moss should have a path to a bigger role this season," writes Fairburn. "But [OC] Brian Daboll is intent on dividing carries and riding the hot hand, so it’s too soon to push the panic button on Singletary." We doubt Moss will ever become a true featured back, but we'd guess he has the 55-45 split edge over Singletary right now and should see far more goal-line and scoring opportunities than his backfield mate. Moss is currently coming off the board as a late RB3 with Singletary as an RB4 in fantasy. Josh Allen is still the favorite to pace the Bills in inside-the-10 carries and rushing scores, capping Moss' ceiling.

RELATED: 

Devin Singletary

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 7, 2021, 3:45 PM ET

Moss was looking like a solid zero rb target.  Will be tougher to draft him and bank on a breakout sooner rather than later if this recovery ends up taking any significant amount of time

I have no idea what the severity is, but just kind of feels like it's always going to be something with this guy.   Singletary might be a nice redraft value.   Breida might be a nice deep sleeper, even though he has also been an injury waiting to happen.

If this was a high end RB talent, it wouldn't be that concerning.   However, every mock seemed to expect the Bills to upgrade RB this offseason.   Unless this is a very minor setback, I think we're one step closer to a substantial investment in the position in 2022.

I have no idea what the severity is, but just kind of feels like it's always going to be something with this guy.   Singletary might be a nice redraft value.   Breida might be a nice deep sleeper, even though he has also been an injury waiting to happen.

If this was a high end RB talent, it wouldn't be that concerning.   However, every mock seemed to expect the Bills to upgrade RB this offseason.   Unless this is a very minor setback, I think we're one step closer to a substantial investment in the position in 2022.
Heard something somewhere that he's had like 8 different injuries since he came into the league.

Injury History

Date.   League.    Injury Details

Nov 7, 2018  Non-NFL. Knee Meniscus Tear Moss suffered a season-ending knee injury while climbing into bed

Sep 20, 2019. Non-NFL. Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain Moss suffered a left AC joint sprain against USC that forced him to miss the next game against Washington State.

Sep 23, 2020 NFL Pedal Toe Sprain Moss missed the Bills' practice due to a toe injury. He missed 3 games due to this injury

Jan 9, 2021 NFL Pedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3 Moss suffered an ankle injury during the wild-card win over the Colts. He missed the remainder of the playoffs

Its always something with Moss.....and always just when he looks like he is taking control of the backfield.....if this lingers more than a few days his value is going to crash

Users who are viewing this thread