What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Zack Moss, CIN (1 Viewer)

Utah senior RB Zack Moss rushed 16 times for 57 yards in a 38-10 loss to Texas in the Valero Alamo Bowl Tuesday.

Moss (5'10/222) was bottled up by a fired-up Texas defense that was looking to make a statement against the 11th ranked Utes. Utah's shoddy offense performance shouldn't reflect poorly on Moss who is viewed as one of the top running backs in the 2020 NFL Draft class. The Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year finishes the season with 1,416 yards rushing, a 6.0 YPC, 15 touchdowns while catching 28 passes for 388 yards and two touchdowns out of the backfield. Moss is projected by The Athletic's Dane Brugler as a second-round selection and the fourth-best running back who is expected to be eligible for this year's draft.

Jan 1, 2020, 12:25 AM ET

Pro Football Focus currently have Utah senior RB Zack Moss as their highest-graded RB in the country (min. 125 attempts).

Moss (5'10/222) battled various injuries last year that never allowed him to hit full stride. With a cleaner slate in 2019, Moss has proven just how effective he can be. While he won't go as high as Ezekiel Elliott did a few years ago, Moss' style is extremely similar to the former Buckeye, even down to the stout pass blocking. Moss just barely edges out Wisconsin RB Jonathan Taylor for the best grade.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Nov 28, 2019, 9:57 AM ET

Utah senior RB Zack Moss has accepted an invitation to play in the Reese's Senior Bowl in January.

Moss (5'10/222) is one of two Utah players that accepted Senior Bowl invites Friday, with EDGE Bradlee Anae being the other. The senior running back has appeared in eight games this season, rushing for 828 yards and 11 touchdowns with an average of 6.0 yards per carry. Moss, who has also caught 13 passes for 215 yards and another score, is ranked eighth among draft-eligible running backs by ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. Moss will return to action Saturday when Utah hosts UCLA.

SOURCE: Reese's Senior Bowl on Twitter

Nov 15, 2019, 5:46 PM ET

Rivals' Mike Farrell wrote on Wednesday that Utah senior RB Zack Moss is among the nation's under-the-radar stars.

Not only does Moss' fame suffer from playing in the PAC-12, he also does not play in any of the nationally popular schools like Stanford, USC, or Oregon. That is not to say Utah is not good -- in fact, they might be the best team in the conference right now -- they just do not have the spotlight on them the way other schools do. However, Moss is leading the charge for an excellent Utah offense and is in position to help Utah get to the conference championship game. If Moss can get to (and win) the PAC-12 championship, he may finally get the nationwide recognition he deserves.

SOURCE: Rivals

Sep 19, 2019, 10:55 AM ET

Pro Football Focus' Mike Renner passes along that Utah senior RB Zack Moss has 26 broken tackles through two games.

Per Renner, that's seven more broken tackles than any other back in the FBS. In terms of Moss' overall output, the 5-foot-10, 222-pound senior has rushed for 267 yards (5.7 YPC) and three touchdowns combined in wins over BYU and Northern Illinois. Renner believes that Moss "belongs in the conversation for top [running back] in 2020." This is not an opinion that has been trumpeted in many corners -- the top three backs on most boards, in some order, are Travis Etienne, D'Andre Swift and Jonathan Taylor -- and it will be interesting to see if Moss can start to gain a little more draft traction as the season wears on. Utah plays Idaho State this coming weekend, after which they will start into conference play with back-to-back intriguing contests against USC and Washington State.

SOURCE: Mike Renner on Twitter

Sep 10, 2019, 4:23 PM ET

Utah senior RB Zack Moss said, "The knee is fine; I can do anything and everything I want to now. It’s a lot better than it was before."

Moss (5'10/215) has a worrisome injury history -- one that will be heavily analyzed for the next nine months -- but Moss is a "terrific talent" when he's at full speed. His offensive coordinator believes he'll be back to normal in 2019, even mentioning Moss as a 23 to 27 carries per game candidate this season. That won't happen, but he could be in the 15-20 range. Regardless, Moss should be plenty productive before he enters the pre-draft process. The senior running back reportedly will run in the 4.4s at over 210 pounds, making Moss a quality Day 2 prospect if his knee checks out.

SOURCE: The Salt Lake Tribune

Jul 27, 2019, 3:49 PM ET

The Athletic's Dane Brugler called Utah senior RB Zack Moss "a terrific talent."

Moss (5'10/215) was Brugler's RB2 going into November of last year, but a worrisome knee injury knocked him out of draft contention. If healthy -- and that's a big if -- Moss possesses Day 2 talent. It's just impossible to know if he actually is healthy right now. There is a good chance Moss exits Utah as the career leader in most rushing categories and he reportedly has a great personality off the field.

SOURCE: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Jul 17, 2019, 2:07 PM ET

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranks Utah senior RB Zack Moss as his No. 2 senior running back for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Moss (5'10/215) only trails Ke'Shawn Vaughn for the top spot, but they'll both have their hands full competing with a stacked junior class of runners. Before he gets to the pre-draft process, Moss will need to show he's healthy after ending his junior season with a knee injury. When healthy, Moss is one of the more elusive backs in the class and he should ultimately be on the Day 2 or Day 3 radar.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

May 27, 2019, 8:30 PM ET

Utah senior RB Zack Moss forced the most missed tackles per touch among returning Pac-12 running backs.

Moss (5'10/215) forced 0.27 missed tackles on average which narrowly edged out Arizona State's Eno Benjamin (0.26) for the top spot. In 2018, Moss was limited to nine games and 179 carries due to a knee injury, but if he's healthy next season, he'll see more than 200 carries and should eclipse 1,000 rushing yards. In a loaded running back class, Moss will be playing for a Day 2 or Day 3 draft pick a year from now.

May 11, 2019, 4:52 PM ET

This reads Moss is greater than Taylor who is much greater than Dobbins... 

Is this meant that way? 

Or did you have the greater than sign incorrect?
That is how I meant it. I'm a huge Moss fan. He's the best runner in the class in my opinion. He isn't for everybody, as he's very unproven(and perhaps unable) as a pass catcher. He's also not a guy who is going to bust off 50+ yard TD's. What he is, is a guy who can handle being a workhorse, and has both excellent power, and great vision. Le'Veon Bell probably isn't the worst comparison as a runner. 

I think Moss is a better runner than Taylor, and they are pretty equal as receivers. Moss has more power and make you miss ability, Taylor has more straight line speed. Taylor also suffers a bit to me from being a Badger. 

Dobbins is maybe the most overrated RB prospect in recent memory. I think he's a day 3 draft pick. He just seems like a guy to me. Jack of all trades sure, but nothing special. I worry he's TJ Yeldon, where he looks great because he is versatile, but his team had more to do with his success than he did. I don't see much power, or make you miss ability. 

I think Josh Jacobs was a better prospect than any of those 3 guys. 

Overall, my RB ranks are: Etienne>Swift>>Moss>Taylor>>Vaughn>Dobbins. I don't think this a very good RB class, its better than last season, but nowhere near the 2016-2018 classes. There is no can't miss guys, and a lot of question marks. Nobody I'd take in the 1st round if I were an NFL team. Based on where guys are currently ranked/mocked, I expect Moss and Ke'Shawn Vaughn to be the best values, with Dobbins, and maybe Swift being overdrafted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moss is like oatmeal for breakfast with like fancy flavors mixed in to give it some excitement, but at the end of the day, it's still oatmeal.  Average. 

He'll have some value later in the draft for sure and he can likely hold a team over with good performances.  He isn't special though and could be replaceable down the line, kind of like a better version of Jordan Howard. 

That is how I meant it. I'm a huge Moss fan. He's the best runner in the class in my opinion. He isn't for everybody, as he's very unproven(and perhaps unable) as a pass catcher. He's also not a guy who is going to bust off 50+ yard TD's. What he is, is a guy who can handle being a workhorse, and has both excellent power, and great vision. Le'Veon Bell probably isn't the worst comparison as a runner. 

I think Moss is a better runner than Taylor, and they are pretty equal as receivers. Moss has more power and make you miss ability, Taylor has more straight line speed. Taylor also suffers a bit to me from being a Badger. 

Dobbins is maybe the most overrated RB prospect in recent memory. I think he's a day 3 draft pick. He just seems like a guy to me. Jack of all trades sure, but nothing special. I worry he's TJ Yeldon, where he looks great because he is versatile, but his team had more to do with his success than he did. I don't see much power, or make you miss ability. 

I think Josh Jacobs was a better prospect than any of those 3 guys. 

Overall, my RB ranks are: Etienne>Swift>>Moss>Taylor>>Vaughn>Dobbins. I don't think this a very good RB class, its better than last season, but nowhere near the 2016-2018 classes. There is no can't miss guys, and a lot of question marks. Nobody I'd take in the 1st round if I were an NFL team. Based on where guys are currently ranked/mocked, I expect Moss and Ke'Shawn Vaughn to be the best values, with Dobbins, and maybe Swift being overdrafted.
Thanks for this. Plan to digest it a little later. I like Moss but I dont have him as high as you. I appreciate the differing opinions on this board. Its great!!!

So he has some great moves, he's slick like a wet floor. He has this craft, call it body control or balance idk, where he will spin or maneuver from a tackle without having to run over the guy. But he can still run over a guy sometimes if he has to. 

The thing missing is acceleration. And that's a bummer.

So he has some great moves, he's slick like a wet floor. He has this craft, call it body control or balance idk, where he will spin or maneuver from a tackle without having to run over the guy. But he can still run over a guy sometimes if he has to. 

The thing missing is acceleration. And that's a bummer.
Not that Moss is likely to be as good, but you kind of just described Arian Foster.

The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranks Utah RB Zack Moss fifth on his list of the top running backs prior to the NFL Scouting Combine in the 2020 NFL Draft class.

Moss is the top rated senior on this list, as the four names ahead -- J.K. Dobbins, D'Andre Swift, Jonathan Taylor and Clyde Edwards-Helaire -- all were early declarations. The one concern Brugler has with Moss is the obvious one; whether or not he's going to be able to stay healthy because of his injury history. There's no questioning the skill set, and Brugler calls him a "striking combination of body control, nimble feet and finishing mentality." As he also notes, as long as the medicals come back clean, Moss (5'10/222) projects as a starter at the next level; one who could/should be selected on Day 2.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 8, 2020, 2:53 PM ET

Utah RB Zack Moss said that he is "ready to do every single thing" in terms of NFL Scouting Combine tests.

We'll see Moss strut his athletic stuff in primetime on Friday night. The 5-foot-9, 223-pound Utah back is viewed by most evaluating parties as RB5 or thereabouts, but Moss does have one major cheerleader in Pro Football Focus, with the outlet ranking him as their No. 1 running back prospect in the class. He is a prodigious tackle-breaker. Beyond the testing on Friday night, the results of Moss' medicals will be key to his draft outlook, as he struggled with injury at times during his stint with Utah.

SOURCE: Josh Norris on Twitter

Feb 26, 2020, 2:32 PM ET

PRE-COMBINE POSITION RANKINGS COMPARISON

Excerpt:

While matters were plenty settled at the top of the quarterback board, things start out with a bang in the running backs room, with Pro Football Focus showing up to the party with Utah’s Zack Moss ranked as their No. 1 back. Every other one of our evaluators waited until at least RB5 to throw in with the Utes standout. It’s Moss’ more shifty attributes which really have the collective jaws a-gape at PFF, with the outlet noting that “Moss has been consistently elusive to a level we've never quite seen before.” 

2020 NFL Draft position rankings

Excerpt:

RUNNING BACK

1. Zack Moss, Utah
2. D’Andre Swift, Georgia
3. Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin
4. J.K. Dobbins, Ohio State
5. Clyde Edwards-Helaire, LSU
6. Cam Akers, Florida State
7. Lynn Bowden Jr., Kentucky
8. Antonio Gibson, Memphis
9. Ke'Shawn Vaughn, Vanderbilt
10. Darius Anderson, TCU

Great at receiving but worst at pass protection. Not sure if that's a ringing endorsement for him to go to a team that passes to their RBs. 
Better than being bad at both I guess. I feel like pass-pro is something that is easier to improve on compared to being more natural as a receiver. Of course I have nothing to back that statement up....

Have to admit @menobrown has got me a little excited about Moss as someone who may be a little underrated and could be a great pick mid to late 1st round 
Thanks for paying me any heed, hope I don't lead us astray  but tonight/today is big for him. Out of my top 6 RB's the two I worry most putting out some kind of high 4.6 or 4.7 is Moss and Hellaire.  I got a lot of picks in the 8-13 range this year, feel like with the WR depth it will a RB feeding frenzy early in drafts and he's someone I'm hoping pops out of that early RB feeding frenzy and makes it back to me and I at least have viable RB option to mull over.

Hoping he's real slow today, quieting any buzz before it can get out of hand. 
I don't mind a low 4.6 especially since I put more stock in 3 cone and 10/20 yard splits. As I was just saying above I just don't want to see high super high 4.6's or worse unless he smoked the other stuff.

Thanks for paying me any heed, hope I don't lead us astray  but tonight/today is big for him. Out of my top 6 RB's the two I worry most putting out some kind of high 4.6 or 4.7 is Moss and Hellaire.  I got a lot of picks in the 8-13 range this year, feel like with the WR depth it will a RB feeding frenzy early in drafts and he's someone I'm hoping pops out of that early RB feeding frenzy and makes it back to me and I at least have viable RB option to mull over.

I don't mind a low 4.6 especially since I put more stock in 3 cone and 10/20 yard splits. As I was just saying above I just don't want to see high super high 4.6's or worse unless he smoked the other stuff.
No probs, I’m far from an expert in terms of rookies and dynasty so this time of the year I’m reading everyone’s conversations and opinions earnestly on this board  then cross referencing them with watching tape afterwards. My rudimentary viewing of Moss is that I love the way he glides without any wasted motion, his decent vision and the way he always fights hard for some extra yards at the end of his runs. I actually think his long speed looks okay, unlike say Abdullah where his burst was good but over distance his top gear was not impressive and he would get caught from behind. I can definitely see the Foster comp. 

Better than being bad at both I guess. I feel like pass-pro is something that is easier to improve on compared to being more natural as a receiver. Of course I have nothing to back that statement up....
I would agree that pass pro is often something that isn't really learned for a lot of RB's until they hit the pros. However, I would disagree that Moss isn't already good at it. 

I don't mind a high low 4.6 especially since I put more stock in 3 cone and 10/20 yard splits. As I was just saying above I just don't want to see high super high 4.6's or worse unless he smoked the other stuff.
I'm expecting Moss to be just under 4.6. I may be way off, but I think Edwards-Helaire is actually a lot faster than he's thought of being. I think he could hit the high 4.4 range. 

I know I'm a big outlier, but I have Moss at 1.3 right now, behind only Jeudy and Lamb, and since Moss makes his hay as a tackle breaker, I don't know that his times could really change that for me, unless he really bombs and runs 4.7+ and even then, that would just knock him back to the 2nd tier(I have him alone in tier 1 among RB's currently) for me.

Pro Football Focus currently have Utah senior RB Zack Moss as their highest-graded RB in the country (min. 125 attempts).

Moss (5'10/222) battled various injuries last year that never allowed him to hit full stride. With a cleaner slate in 2019, Moss has proven just how effective he can be. While he won't go as high as Ezekiel Elliott did a few years ago, Moss' style is extremely similar to the former Buckeye, even down to the stout pass blocking. Moss just barely edges out Wisconsin RB Jonathan Taylor for the best grade.

Nov 28, 2019, 9:57 AM ET

This was from one of the very top posts in this thread. Now I wouldn't know I haven't watched him. But which is it? What is the scouting report on this? Is he good at pass protection or not?

This was from one of the very top posts in this thread. Now I wouldn't know I haven't watched him. But which is it? What is the scouting report on this? Is he good at pass protection or not?
I don't know. I watched one single Utah game all year and while I do prefer to watch game cut-up's over highlights I'm pretty lazy at scouting pass blocking so if it's not in the game cut up I'm relying on what people tell me. I know Dane Brugler in his pre-combine writeup of him, where he had him as his RB5,said he has an everydown skill set. What other stuff I've been able to poke around and read usually says he shows well in pass blocking, when asked.

I'm expecting Moss to be just under 4.6. I may be way off, but I think Edwards-Helaire is actually a lot faster than he's thought of being. I think he could hit the high 4.4 range. 
I referenced Brugler above and I'm not sure where he gets his data from on his pre-combine 40's but he kind of nailed most of the WR's and TE's precombine times. I mean impressively nailed it for the most part. He's got Moss listed at 4.52 and CEH at 4.56.  We'll see.

Utah RB Zack Moss posted 19 bench press reps at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Moss (5'9/223) is a Pro Football Focus darling, as the data analytics crew view him as the best running back prospect in the 2020 class. The third-team AP All-American sustained an injury at the end of his 2018 season that led to him returning to Utah in 2019 in order to boost his draft stock. NFL draft analyst Lance Zierlein gave him a grade of 6.45 which amounts to a "boom-or-bust" designation for a RB that should see ample playing time in his first year. Moss is a well-rounded runner who runs with physicality and could step in as an instant starter. So long as his medicals check out Moss should be considered a likely Day 2 selection.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 28, 2020, 1:36 PM ET

If CEH runs that slow, and Moss outruns him... Moss should leapfrog him easily in the rankings. 
FWIW Brugler has him ahead of Moss with those expected times and so do I so while that may be true for you it's not for me.  CEH is my #3 right now and if he runs a 4.56 he'd likely soldify it at least till actual landing spots are known because you will never hear me say landing spot does not matter.  But I also should point that as RB workouts go,  the 40 is less important to me then 3 cone and the 10/20 yard splits we get from the 40.

All I know is I got a big 6 RB's and I hope none of them crap the bed tonight because I've got a lot of picks in that 7-8 range. Way I see it if these RB's can hold value I either get one in that range or it means they pushed me back Lamb or Jeudy so I'm kinda pulling for all of them.

All I know is I got a big 6 RB's and I hope none of them crap the bed tonight because I've got a lot of picks in that 7-8 range. Way I see it if these RB's can hold value I either get one in that range or it means they pushed me back Lamb or Jeudy so I'm kinda pulling for all of them.
Serious question, why does partially hand-times hundredths of a second make any difference if you’ve already done the work to rank them based on their actual production?

Serious question, why does partially hand-times hundredths of a second make any difference if you’ve already done the work to rank them based on their actual production?
You should probably address this question to someone who is saying hundredth's of a second makes a difference, they can probably answer that better.

You should probably address this question to someone who is saying hundredth's of a second makes a difference, they can probably answer that better.
You said you don’t want to see them #### the bed, which test were you referring to?

To put it differently, why does testing make any difference on who you want to take with your bevy of picks?

I don't use anything in isolation, but I'll play devil's strawman anyway...

Why do a few 100ths matter?

Because each 1/100th represents something like 3% in terms of the overall range of most drafted RBs?  Say, 4.35-4.65.

5/100ths is 17% of that range.  10/100ths is 33%.

It's a part of the overall story -- especially for backs under 220-225. 

You said you don’t want to see them #### the bed, which test were you referring to?
Yes but that's not measured in hundredths of a second unless my math is off. Maybe my math is off but is not 4.53 vs 4.52 a hundredth of a second off? If so that's hardly what I'm talking about. If Moss is expected to run a 4.52 and he runs a 4.53, or even a 4.6 I hardly think that qualifies as crapping the bed.

I don't use anything in isolation, but I'll play devil's strawman anyway...

Why do a few 100ths matter?

Because each 1/100th represents something like 3% in terms of the overall range of most drafted RBs?  Say, 4.35-4.65.

5/100ths is 17% of that range.  10/100ths is 33%.

It's a part of the overall story -- especially for backs under 220-225. 
That’s all well and good if the methodology is sound. But they are hand timed starts. A few hundredths in either direction is within the margin of error. I.e., meaningless

Hated to see it. Hoping he could save himself with vertical or 3 cone. So far no dice on vertical and I highly doubt the 3 cone is going to be that good either.

His workout numbers so far have put him in what I'd term outlier for fantasy success.  Which basically has made him the biggest faller of the night.

Users who are viewing this thread