What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CNN settles in $250 million lawsuit from high school kid falsely accused by media/left because of his hat. (1 Viewer)

Bozeman Bruiser

Footballguy
Fox link

I bet he has a nice smirk on his face now.

Hope the rest of the fake news outlets who perpetrated the lies and encouraged violence against him are forced to bend the knee like CNN.

Perhaps they will attempt to be a little more accurate and a little less fear/hate mongering in the future.

Sadly, the original thread about this was locked due to people who couldn't handle the truth.

Lawyerguys, what is an expected settlement in cases like this? 5%? 10%? 30%?

There are also pending suits against WaPo and NBC. 

Eta: oddly, CNN doesn't seem to be covering this story. Odd because it was headline news for them for 48 straight hours when they thought the high school kids were racist. 

https://www.cnn.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
They might have settled for $100,000 just for the nuisance value of having to go to court even if they felt they had a winning case. Until the terms are disclosed we will never know and it is all just speculation on anyone's part. There is no guarantee Mr. Sandmann made off with a big bucks settlement. 

They might have settled for $100,000 just for the nuisance value of having to go to court even if they felt they had a winning case. Until the terms are disclosed we will never know and it is all just speculation on anyone's part. There is no guarantee Mr. Sandmann made off with a big bucks settlement. 
Shouldn’t we all be hoping he got an enormous score?  I assume you saw the entire video of those kids being harassed. Combined with the treatment he got in the following days he deserves a nice payday. I’d assume you agree. 

the original suit vs. CNN was $275MM per the guy on the AM radio 15 minutes ago.

the "expert" he referenced said Sandmann could expect to see a settlement of about 1/3 of that.

the original suit vs. CNN was $275MM per the guy on the AM radio 15 minutes ago.

the "expert" he referenced said Sandmann could expect to see a settlement of about 1/3 of that.
Meh. It is all speculation on his part as it is with all the other talking heads on TV weighing in on this. 

Fox link

I bet he has a nice smirk on his face now.

Hope the rest of the fake news outlets who perpetrated the lies and encouraged violence against him are forced to bend the knee like CNN.

Perhaps they will attempt to be a little more accurate and a little less fear/hate mongering in the future.

Sadly, the original thread about this was locked due to people who couldn't handle the truth.

Lawyerguys, what is an expected settlement in cases like this? 5%? 10%? 30%?

There are also pending suits against WaPo and NBC. 

Eta: oddly, CNN doesn't seem to be covering this story. Odd because it was headline news for them for 48 straight hours when they thought the high school kids were racist. 

It's sad that those bolded paragraphs come after you posting the link to Fox as a source. 

No, nothing like most other threads that some of us have actual factual information to work with. Here we have none. 
Well, in my opinion, what factual information there is little to none.

Most of these threads appear to driven by speculation and what people say on Twitter.

Well, in my opinion, what factual information there is little to none.

Most of these threads appear to driven by speculation and what people say on Twitter.
Twitter is so different.  That is speculation by psuedo-famous people.  We are not allowed to express our thoughts...

They might have settled for $100,000 just for the nuisance value of having to go to court even if they felt they had a winning case. Until the terms are disclosed we will never know and it is all just speculation on anyone's part. There is no guarantee Mr. Kapernick made off with a big bucks settlement. 

Shouldn’t we all be hoping he got an enormous score?  I assume you saw the entire video of those kids being harassed. Combined with the treatment he got in the following days he deserves a nice payday. I’d assume you agree. 
$100,000 would be a nice payday. 

Regardless of the size of the settlement -- $250 million is a ludicrously large number -- I'm glad this kid got something.  This was wildly irresponsible journalism.

:lmao:  except the Kaepernick thread where you were certain he won a huge lawsuit despite having no information whatsoever.

Weren’t you adamant that your boy Kaepernick got $100M In his undisclosed settlement even though everyone said it could be much less?
Seems he doesn't want to respond to these posts where he gets busted doing the same. 

IvanKaramazov said:
Regardless of the size of the settlement -- $250 million is a ludicrously large number -- I'm glad this kid got something.  This was wildly irresponsible journalism.
CNN has taken some big hits in terms of credibility.  Hopefully they issue an public apology.

Generally speaking, these types of settlements will come with a payout or an apology, but not both.
Perhaps the best part of what's come out this is that the media might think twice before reporting things so grossly out of context in the future and report the truth instead of fitting it to their narrative. 

Bozeman Bruiser said:

Maybe do some research first?

New York (CNN Business)CNN has settled a lawsuit with a Kentucky high school student who was at the center of a viral video controversy, a spokesperson for the news network confirmed Tuesday.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/07/media/cnn-settles-lawsuit-viral-video/index.html

Jackstraw said:
Do you think what he did was acceptble? Do you think there are better ways to comport oneself? I don't give a flip what was happening around him. 
Yes what he did was acceptable. Yes, there are almost always better ways to behave. 

My guess is you dont actually know what happened and believe he was blockading an indigenous peoples march. Only reasonable explanation.

Yes what he did was acceptable. Yes, there are almost always better ways to behave. 

My guess is you dont actually know what happened and believe he was blockading an indigenous peoples march. Only reasonable explanation.
Ok sure he was a freedom fighter or whatever. Good god. see you interwebs. Out for today. 

Stealthycat said:
just what i read yesterday on the link above - Fox did retract the news article. But if they purposely misled? yes, fine them hard to. I got no use for lies anymore in my life
I'm not aware of anybody being fined. 

Jackstraw said:
Do you think what he did was acceptble? Do you think there are better ways to comport oneself? I don't give a flip what was happening around him. 
Something not being acceptable doesn't mean "I'd slap the taste out of my kids mouf If he was doing that."

Oh my goodness. No I have never put a hand on my kid. 

But If I saw him sneering in an older mans face like that regardles of the situation heaven help me. 

But then again I raised him better than that. 
:confused:  

I personally believe that people who choose to wear MAGA hats do so, to some varying extent, to antagonize. 

The above said, when I viewed the whole video I found it hard to fault the kid for what he did. I mean, he just stood there. I don't put much into the smirk because humans often react physically strangely to high-stress situations (oddly, I've come across a lot of people who laugh) and the smirk very well may have been a nervous reaction rather than "sneering into an older man's face." Further, from a legal perspective, there's no basis to suggest he engaged in any sort of seriously disruptive behavior or anything like that. 

The kid certainly isn't some sort of hero, but I don't see him at all as a villain, either. 

Users who are viewing this thread