What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (1 Viewer)

Doug and Howie speak at 10:30am EST. My guess is Doug addresses the Clowney situation respectfully (to avoid the NFL's ire) but makes it clear there's no place for that and they think it should have been flagged so they've sent it to the league. 

Throwing this in from the old thread so I can see the star.

Offseason checklist by position:

QB: Bring back McCown. Love what he's done. He's like an on-field coach and he plays well enough in a pinch.

RB: Would like Howard back, but that's a luxury. Want a thumper to compliment Sanders and Scott.

WR: Speed, speed, speed! Draft at least 2 guys. Goodbye Nelly, and Alshon if you can stomach the cap hit.

TE: All good.

OL: Love what Peters did, but unless he's willing to be a backup I think it's time to cut ties. Dillard may be better than him now. Need depth since Big V will sign elsewhere I assume. Grooming a new C would be good, unless that's Seumalo, then need G replacement.

DE: Get younger. Sweat showing a lot of promise, feel like they need one more guy.

DT: More depth and pray Jackson is healthy?

LB: Bah, the team doesn't care, why should I?

CB: Yeah...Darby gone. I still like Mills but they need someone desperately opposite him that can be a #1 guy. Every other player is either just ok or terrible. A complete overhaul isn't realistic, but they need one.

S: Need to get younger in a hurry. I'd bring Mcleod back in the meantime and give Jenkins his money. Not sure if they can upgrade over either in the short term.

Can they afford all this, is it possible? Dunno, this is my wants off the top of my head.

975TheFanatic‏ @975TheFanatic 2h2 hours ago

"I would expect yeah, there will be changes that come to the Philadelphia coaching staff" - @AdamSchefter
I think Undlin and Walch are the most likely coaches to go, maybe even Fipp (via poaching.) 

I think Undlin and Walch are the most likely coaches to go, maybe even Fipp (via poaching.) 
Yeah, that's fine and all. But it's just a little silly I think. With all the injuries and back ups not stepping up, blaming the coaches is like witch-hunting. It was really an impressive season when you think about it. 

If anybody is to blame it's the GM for sucking so bad at drafting and failing to have depth at wr and in the secondary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug and Howie speak at 10:30am EST. My guess is Doug addresses the Clowney situation respectfully (to avoid the NFL's ire) but makes it clear there's no place for that and they think it should have been flagged so they've sent it to the league. 
If I'm Pederson I go off on the league. What do I have to lose at this point season is over. I then go after Scandrick, Josina Anderson and Kannell. Frankly if it was me no one would be safe and I'd let it know I'm protecting my players and we don't tolerate hack reporting

Doug just said, about Groh and Walch, in a response from ESP asking about them: "Both those guys will be back."
However, in his response about Jim Schwartz's interview and what happens if he doesn't get the Browns job: "He's currently my DC."

Doug just said, about Groh and Walch, in a response from ESP asking about them: "Both those guys will be back."
However, in his response about Jim Schwartz's interview and what happens if he doesn't get the Browns job: "He's currently my DC."
Just asked again, as follow-up, if that meant Schwartz might not be back, as opposed to what he said about Groh and Walch and Doug back-tracked to say they are all currently on his staff and the evaluations are yet to happen for anyone :shrug:

2nd to last question was finally about the Carson hit. Doug: "Potentially an illegal hit, it happens, it gets missed, it's unfortunate. Moving on, not living in the past."

Well played Doug. Nothing worse than a whiney HC. See Sean Payton.
Agree some what. Theres a time and place to complain about stuff but Payton does it all wrong. In this instance I think Doug wouldn't be looked at as whining more so as protecting his franchise QB. You know dam well if this was Brady or got hurt without a Call or Rodgers etc those coaches would be asking questions to the league in public as a definition of protecting their QB. Payton just complains whenever anything doesn't go his way. Must be the Cowboy in him. 

On the medical staff, Howie said the new chief guy they hired in June was taking the season to observe and will be recommending/implementing changes for this season :rolleyes:

He sure got to "observe" a lot of medical issues.

On the medical staff, Howie said the new chief guy they hired in June was taking the season to observe and will be recommending/implementing changes for this season :rolleyes:

Can't fix the problems until you waste a season watching them all unfold. Brilliant!

First recommendation, "Have you tried not getting hurt?"

Can't fix the problems until you waste a season watching them all unfold. Brilliant!

First recommendation, "Have you tried not getting hurt?"
First recommendation: Everyone is fired. We're hiring doctors that know what they're doing this year. And trainers that know what they're doing. 

Here's to a new (more successful) season 🦅
Thanks for taking the reins.  A year off will be nice since I'll be away haha.  Plus, it'll be good to have you around in here more as you're always one of the most knowledgeable posters in the thread.

That's good news.  Something needs to be fixed.

There's a staff meeting tomorrow for all the coaches, and they'll figure out what the plan is moving forward for each of them.  I'm a little nervous.
No reason not to give the generic “we’ll see” type of response. There’s coaches still out there and more to come I’m sure. No reason to lock in. 

This is why I expect to see Peters back starting LT next year lol

No reason not to give the generic “we’ll see” type of response. There’s coaches still out there and more to come I’m sure. No reason to lock in. 

He can be back. He better not be starting unless it's at guard.

Ya they will likely decide tomorrow at the meeting. Will let y'all know if/when I hear.

Another quote from Howie, re: taking JJ over DK and what they learned: "There were 3 rookie receivers who never had more than 40 catches in a college season who have been tremendously productive. Should that be a factor for us when we look at college production as something important to us?"

That's a dig at Joe Douglas. He's basically putting that pick on Joe for how he set the board, where college production was a big factor in his evaluations. That was the reason they took Pumphrey, too:

Douglas also focused on players with production. Pumphrey easily fits the bill there as well.

“I love how productive he is.,” Douglas said with a smile. “With Pumphrey, the thing that stands out the most is prolific production. He’s set every record,” “You’re talking about a guy that broke [Pro Football Hall of Fame RB] Marshall Faulk’s record.”

Another quote from Howie, re: taking JJ over DK and what they learned: "There were 3 rookie receivers who never had more than 40 catches in a college season who have been tremendously productive. Should that be a factor for us when we look at college production as something important to us?"

That's a dig at Joe Douglas. He's basically putting that pick on Joe for how he set the board, where college production was a big factor in his evaluations. That was the reason they took Pumphrey, too:
But Joe Douglas is a football guy!

Christ I hope Howie learns something from the last couple years. Maybe one can dream that dude with 4 names will be like Alshon in his prime one day....

The Noid said:

Insein said:
But Joe Douglas is a football guy!
He can try that #### all he wants. It’s been YEARS of bad drafts and he (Howie) is the only constant. 

The Noid said:

More info. (speculation?) about why the Eagles drafted JJAW ahead of Metcalf:

It was bad enough the Eagles drafted J.J. Arcega-Whiteside ahead of DK Metcalf, but to have the latter receiver so outplay the former at their expense in Sunday’s playoff loss to the Seahawks had to be particularly frustrating for the team.

But not likely for reasons related to the evaluation of Metcalf. He had one of the Eagles’ higher draft grades and was rated ahead of Arcega-Whiteside, who was chosen seven picks before Seattle took the Ole Miss product in the second round, NFL sources told The Inquirer.

Metcalf wasn’t on the Eagles’ draft board in the first two rounds, however, because he failed the team’s physical, sources said. A neck injury in October 2018 ended his redshirt sophomore season and was enough to drop him into latter-round assessments for some teams, including the Eagles.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/jj-arcega-whiteside-dk-metcalf-eagles-draft-board-failed-physical-receivers-20200108.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=early birds 1-9-20&utm_content=early birds 1-9-20+CID_a41a68d3da41206bcdf7306408c9a369&utm_source=email&utm_term=some in the Eagles front office preferred Metcalf but he failed a team physical

More info. (speculation?) about why the Eagles drafted JJAW ahead of Metcalf:

It was bad enough the Eagles drafted J.J. Arcega-Whiteside ahead of DK Metcalf, but to have the latter receiver so outplay the former at their expense in Sunday’s playoff loss to the Seahawks had to be particularly frustrating for the team.

But not likely for reasons related to the evaluation of Metcalf. He had one of the Eagles’ higher draft grades and was rated ahead of Arcega-Whiteside, who was chosen seven picks before Seattle took the Ole Miss product in the second round, NFL sources told The Inquirer.

Metcalf wasn’t on the Eagles’ draft board in the first two rounds, however, because he failed the team’s physical, sources said. A neck injury in October 2018 ended his redshirt sophomore season and was enough to drop him into latter-round assessments for some teams, including the Eagles.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/jj-arcega-whiteside-dk-metcalf-eagles-draft-board-failed-physical-receivers-20200108.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=early birds 1-9-20&utm_content=early birds 1-9-20+CID_a41a68d3da41206bcdf7306408c9a369&utm_source=email&utm_term=some in the Eagles front office preferred Metcalf but he failed a team physical
So it was the MEDICAL staff again!!! Dude...

dhockster said:
If Schwartz is fired or moves on to another team, who do we want as DC?
very good question. i don't get all the Shwartz hate myself (though his need to install the "sticks" defense on 4th and longs does drive me batty), but there aren't a ton of better options out there with the personell the Eagles' currently have.

listening to the latest "Birds with Friends" podcast, they made a good point about Wade Phillips 3-4 defense in that it is much more like a 4-3 than a traditional 3-4. He would certainly be a reputable candidate.

Groh and Walch gone. Had a feeling. When they sing your praises loudly, you done.
Well that is a good first step. Even if Doug calls plays, clearly need a new voice in the offensive room. Would love to get one of these young QB types that can bring some new looks to the team. Everyone else seems to scheme their WRs open and we just sort of played straight up, hoping our WRs would beat their CBs.

Groh and Walch gone. Had a feeling. When they sing your praises loudly, you done.
Just came to post this.  Super excited that Groh is gone.  But does seem weird he would say "they will both be back" so emphatically. 

Walch didn't have much help with WR talent, but completely failed to develop whatever talent JJAW does have.  Also I'm sure he had a part in telling the coaches that Ward shouldn't be called up for most of the year. Seems we get a new WR coach every year, hopefully this next one can help, or be hand picked by the next OC. 

Would love almost anyone for OC.  Someone with either a lot of NFL experience who can just take over and leave Doug to do other duties, or a fresh young innovative college guy.  Just no Duce please.

EDT:  5th WR coach in 5 years.

"As I noted yesterday, Doug Pederson had yet to meet with owner Jeffery Lurie when he gave Groh and Walch a vote of confidence. He did today. Lurie had pretty much decided by December that he didn’t want either back, an NFL source said."

#Eagles released a statement from Doug Pederson announcing the firing of OC Mike Groh and WRs coach Carson Walch. He also apologized for his confusing comments during Wed news conference and reinforced his commitment to DC Jim Schwartz.

I think the notion that Doug simply didn't know that they were going to be fired is likely true.  I think he probably thought they'd be back or was just saying that, but Lurie came down today at the meetings and said they had to go.  Groh has possibly become a bit of a safety net with Groh and I'm sure they have a good relationship, but this change will be good for Doug once it all shakes out. 

Just came to post this.  Super excited that Groh is gone.  But does seem weird he would say "they will both be back" so emphatically. 

Walch didn't have much help with WR talent, but completely failed to develop whatever talent JJAW does have.  Also I'm sure he had a part in telling the coaches that Ward shouldn't be called up for most of the year. Seems we get a new WR coach every year, hopefully this next one can help, or be hand picked by the next OC. 

Would love almost anyone for OC.  Someone with either a lot of NFL experience who can just take over and leave Doug to do other duties, or a fresh young innovative college guy.  Just no Duce please.
Will be the 6th one in 6 years. Doesn't just seem like it.

Will be the 6th one in 6 years. Doesn't just seem like it.
After going through Greg Lewis, Gunter Brewer, Mike Groh, Carson Walch in his first four seasons, Doug Pederson is about to have his fifth WR coach in 5 seasons.

Seems like the 5th?  Or was someone there doing it before Lewis?

Users who are viewing this thread