What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (2 Viewers)

it really is gross. i don't know if there is a team in professional sports, with the amount of potential talent they have, that is as broken as this front office, coaching, and overall team.

it really is gross. i don't know if there is a team in professional sports, with the amount of potential talent they have, that is as broken as this front office, coaching, and overall team.
Jets, Jags, Lions off the top of my head have been bad like this for years.

This is new for us but we could all see it coming.  It can be corrected and we have some nice pieces but I have no faith the current GM can draft or the current HC can scheme and motivate. 

Carson Wentz wasn’t good enough tonight 
-Sanders had 8 touches-only 6 runs. INEXCUSABLE 
-Wentz was taken out of pocket 1 time. INEXCUSABLE 
-QB led team in rushing 
-the OL gave up 6 sacks
-a multitude of drops
-0 creativity
-0 winners outside
-terrible game management 

Something I’ve learned over the last 5+ years or so and it’s as important as anything when it comes to QB development and coaching IMO

NEVER. EVER. EVER....Make the QB not trust his eyes or take his stinger away. 

A player doesn’t do that-coaching does.

Thats from Dan Orlovsky

From an objective observer - they need to start fresh. The window is over for them and there are 4 good first round qb prospects.

Bench wentz see what Hurts does rest of the year then cut Wentz in offseason and take astronomical cap hit - cut all bad salaries and take cap hits next couple of years. Focus on 3 year rebuild. Trade players with value like Miles Sanders.

Because this roster as currently constructed is very bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jets, Jags, Lions off the top of my head have been bad like this for years.
And all of them, plus Houston and soon some others, will be looking to fill the same coaching and front office jobs we are. Not great timing to have all that competition while we're looking to land cream-of-the-crop talent. 

From an objective observer - they need to start fresh. The window is over for them and there are 4 good first round qb prospects.

Bench wentz see what Hurts does rest of the year then cut Wentz in offseason and take astronomical cap hit - cut all bad salaries and take cap hits next couple of years. Focus on 3 year rebuild. Trade players with value like Miles Sanders.

Because this roster as currently constructed is very bad.
Dude. This isn’t Madden :lmao:

And all of them, plus Houston and soon some others, will be looking to fill the same coaching and front office jobs we are. Not great timing to have all that competition while we're looking to land cream-of-the-crop talent. 
Gotta start early IMO. A Wentz/Sanders/Ertz/Goedert/Lane/Kelce with a high pick could be attractive. There’s not a lot of turnover here normally too. 

We are taking losses in each of the next 3 games. I can’t see how Doug and Howie make it out of that stretch. 
it will be too late by then, but this is probably how it goes. would be better to do it this week, or next and put Duce in at HC for a trial run.

it will be too late by then, but this is probably how it goes. would be better to do it this week, or next and put Duce in at HC for a trial run.
I don’t disagree but starting your HC and GM search prior to week 16 isn’t the worst thing. 

I thought about Duce as HC but wondered who’s call plays. Him as the HC or Press Taylor? That’s why I mentioned Swartz as interim HC and Duce handling playcalling. Who knows though 

I don’t disagree but starting your HC and GM search prior to week 16 isn’t the worst thing. 

I thought about Duce as HC but wondered who’s call plays. Him as the HC or Press Taylor? That’s why I mentioned Swartz as interim HC and Duce handling playcalling. Who knows though 
Look a my to-do list above. I tell Schwartz we need him at DC and to have the unit finish strong but he'll get a fair shot at HC in the offseason (spoiler alert, he won't get it). Make Staley the HC and take your pick of any of the gang of idiots as the OC and playcaller.

I thought about Duce as HC but wondered who’s call plays.
I think we're over-estimating the play-calling impact. Whether it's Doug, Duce, etc., they're all still calling plays from the ones installed for that game plan. And the game plans are at the root of the problem. It's not like Doug has a bunch of plays on his call sheet that are stellar and he keeps avoiding them. The only difference might be whether someone else calls more crappy run plays than crappy pass plays.

the 2 unsportsmanlike penalties and the constant stupidity from Wentz tells me there’s zero accountability 

yeah, I guess I'm just looking at this like its ####-or-get-off-the-pot time for Doug, Wentz, the coordinators, etc.  If ever there was a time to get right it would be on primetime against the worst defense in the league.  Do I think its possible?  Definitely.  I still refuse to believe that Wentz is as bad as he's looked.  He's been bad, but there have been a number of mitigating circumstances to amplify his apparent regression-obvious missed blocking assignments, bad route running techniques (both getting separation and also just knowing when to stop on a route), terrible in game adjustments by Doug (abandoning the run constantly when it is clearly the only thing working).  I don't expect these guys to all of a sudden become Antonio Brown-esque route runners and the Oline is what it is but the play calling IS something that can be adjusted.  I'd expect Doug to aggressively run the ball for four quarters and if he does I think they can win.  If its deep in the third quarter and Sanders has 8 rushes, then yeah, we aren't winning.  It seems obvious to me, so it should be obvious to the folks that have his ear (and frankly it should be obvious to him).  Doug has shown a willingness and more importantly an ability to adjust how he calls games to fit the needs of the team and QB (think Foles in our Super Bowl year).  I just hope the thrashing he and the team have received from the fans and the media lately scare him into recognizing a shift in philosophy is necessary here.  
Deep into the third quarter, Sanders had 6 carries.  He finished with 6 carries.  We didn't win.  

I think the bolded is exactly it.  Because he's never played like this before probably in his entire career.  I think the confidence right now is shot.  
I'm with Insein here that it's all coaching.  We've seen guys like Tannehill look awful and then look like top 10 QB's with new coaches.  Carson really needs a new coach.

We all wanna blow the team up.. which I somewhat agree with.  But I think we need to blow the offensive coaches up (Figuratively, don't ban me).

Lurie needs to fire Howie, and then tell Doug he can stay if he gets rid of every offensive coach and hands the offense over to someone new/fresh.

Look a my to-do list above. I tell Schwartz we need him at DC and to have the unit finish strong but he'll get a fair shot at HC in the offseason (spoiler alert, he won't get it). Make Staley the HC and take your pick of any of the gang of idiots as the OC and playcaller.
Duce  doesn't have what it takes to be HC IMO.  If Doug goes, bring someone else in that is either a fresh young mind, or doesn't have any hold ups about the OC taking over the offense.

It's all going to dep nd if NYG or Wash can take hold of this division. If they're still mathematically alive, Lurie won't pull the plug
Can't see the Giants doing it with Jones out for a while.  Wash takes this division I think. 

If they win it, I wonder if they keep "Football Team" forever :P

Sorry to go all Djax on everyone here. 

Anyways, if we lose out it looks like we will probably get pick 4.  Can't get into top 3 which will likely be the two stud QB's and Oregon OLineman.  Any of those three woulda been huge for us.  That tie with Cinci might end up haunting us if we lose out and miss out on one of those 3 players in the draft.

Anyways, if we lose out it looks like we will probably get pick 4.  Can't get into top 3 which will likely be the two stud QB's and Oregon OLineman.  Any of those three woulda been huge for us.  That tie with Cinci might end up haunting us if we lose out and miss out on one of those 3 players in the draft.
We all have those moments lol

With as much as we need a top 10 pick should yield a star player and we need one at just about every position.

We all have those moments lol

With as much as we need a top 10 pick should yield a star player and we need one at just about every position.
One more win drops us to pick 15.  Crazy how many 4 win teams there are.  I'm still going to cheer for us while we are actually playing the games each week (Don't think I have it in me not to), but man, for everything going on right now, a top 5 pick in each round would be pretty awesome (EDT:  As long as Howie isn't making the pick)

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess it's time for the game we all hate to play, what would you do if you were Lurie. Here's everything I would do today. We'll save the offseason for later:

1. Fire Howie/Doug today.
2. Make Staley interim coach (the team talks him up every offseason, prove it).
3. Pick any of the remaining "offensive minds" to be OC and call plays, whichever one believes in using your few playmakers more.
4. Instruct Staley to sit/deactivate Jeffrey, outside of injuries. Fulgham and Reagor are your starters, Ward in the slot because you have nothing else, and more snaps for Hightower and Watkins.
5. Peters to IR. He's done. Starting o-line for remainder of season (if healthy) Mailata-Seumalo-Kelce-Herbig-Driscoll
6. Give Hurts a start after a couple more weeks. Not fair to throw him in immediately after a big shake-up. Need to see what you have since you wasted a 2nd on him.
7. Any other older player you don't need and won't kill the cap, gone. Guys like Jordan Howard. Start poaching from other practice squads, maybe you get lucky again like with Fulgham.

I was defending Pederson (just wanted him to stop calling plays) but last night broke me.

What do you guys have on your short-term wish list?
i like this list. i think #3 would be a great start TODAY! put 3 & 5 into action for this weekend and let the season play out. some of the things the analysts were saying yesterday during the game seems to point to the team, including the defense, is still behind Doug and Carson. packing it up now feels worse.

Might be in a position to trade down if teams want a qb.

One more win drops us to pick 15.  Crazy how many 4 win teams there are.  I'm still going to cheer for us while we are actually playing the games each week (Don't think I have it in me not to), but man, for everything going on right now, a top 5 pick in each round would be pretty awesome (EDT:  As long as Howie isn't making the pick)
Even pick 15 helps.  WR, OL and anywhere on defense.  You can still get a top player at that spot.

I cant see them winning another game anyway.  MAYBE Dallas but they won't win the next 3 for sure and depending on who else gets hurt by the Washington game that could be a loss too

Might be in a position to trade down if teams want a qb.
The 2 top qbs are a lock to go 1-2 to the jets/jags though.  I guess if someone wants Wilson/Lance we could trade down. 

Chase would be huge for us though if we can land him.

Even pick 15 helps.  WR, OL and anywhere on defense.  You can still get a top player at that spot.

I cant see them winning another game anyway.  MAYBE Dallas but they won't win the next 3 for sure and depending on who else gets hurt by the Washington game that could be a loss too
And that will be a game Washington likely needs badly and will ball out for.  And we may rest some guys or shut some guys down early.

And that will be a game Washington likely needs badly and will ball out for.  And we may rest some guys or shut some guys down early.
After the next 3 games we may not have a single person who hasn't quit already playing those last 2 games for a coach they know is gone

Watching Doug's presser from this morning now.  When asked about throwing Jalen in.

"For me, would I like to get into a flow and use Jalen in a few situations, I think that's feasable, I think that's possible.  It's been productive for us"

WHAT?

I'm with Insein here that it's all coaching.  We've seen guys like Tannehill look awful and then look like top 10 QB's with new coaches.  Carson really needs a new coach.

We all wanna blow the team up.. which I somewhat agree with.  But I think we need to blow the offensive coaches up (Figuratively, don't ban me).

Lurie needs to fire Howie, and then tell Doug he can stay if he gets rid of every offensive coach and hands the offense over to someone new/fresh.
Agree - to be clear I don't think Carson is the major issue.  I think he's been destroyed this year by the lack of personnel around him, coaching and game plans.  To the point where he has no confidence left.  He looks broken where he's missing on everything.  But based on his entire past career, this is an anomaly for him.  He's shown in the past that he has potential to be a perennial top 10 QB in the league.  But something is going on his head right now and it was probably caused by a combination of things.

“Doug Pederson said temporarily giving up play-calling is "on the table" -- we've never heard that from him before -- but doesn't feel like he is in a rut right now, suggesting it's not imminent.”

Which means he’ll be stripped of the duties in the next week
Just watched this part too.  Said he takes pride and loves play calling... and that if he was in a rut he might give them up for a quarter or a half. 

Hell - to close out the end of last year, Carson was playing like one of the best QBs in football with a bunch of scrubs around him.  What happened with the coaching between then and now?

Agree - to be clear I don't think Carson is the major issue.  I think he's been destroyed this year by the lack of personnel around him, coaching and game plans.  To the point where he has no confidence left.  He looks broken where he's missing on everything.  But based on his entire past career, this is an anomaly for him.  He's shown in the past that he has potential to be a perennial top 10 QB in the league.  But something is going on his head right now and it was probably caused by a combination of things.
Having a child.

Hell - to close out the end of last year, Carson was playing like one of the best QBs in football with a bunch of scrubs around him.  What happened with the coaching between then and now?
The short version is team got worse, defenses adapted and we fired coaches and elevated other ones with little to no experiance

Things were simplified and they were rolling Carson out of the pocket. They also leaned on the run much more then they are now. They averaged 30 carries per game in those last 4 of last year. It was just better coaching. Maybe Groh wasn't the total problem.

Duce  doesn't have what it takes to be HC IMO.  If Doug goes, bring someone else in that is either a fresh young mind, or doesn't have any hold ups about the OC taking over the offense.
For 5 games? I think he can handle it. If he shows something, you consider him full time, or maybe it helps his stock across the league, if he fails it helps get a higher pick.

i like this list. i think #3 would be a great start TODAY! put 3 & 5 into action for this weekend and let the season play out. some of the things the analysts were saying yesterday during the game seems to point to the team, including the defense, is still behind Doug and Carson. packing it up now feels worse.
I would do all of those steps today.

We gave first team reps to Hurts so he could get two snaps. One of which was a handoff. Good thing our starting QB is on fire and doesn’t been reps with the receivers. 

At some point it's got to be scheme. None of them are getting open. Yet we see other teams get speedy guys wide open every week. 
So many plays you see 3 WRs lined up with wide splits running isolation routes against man coverage.  You do this when your guys are more talented than the defenders, makes it easy for the QB to pick a matchup.

This game was the first time I noticed much use of bunch WRs which usually helps against man, didn't make much difference though.

Users who are viewing this thread