What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (2 Viewers)

Maybe Groh wasn't the total problem.
And this is where I have a problem with that change being forced on Pederson.  You can't tell someone how to do their job, then judge them on the results.  That's how scapegoats are made.  

I don't even know what to say. You got to imagine the coaches go over things like this on the film room every week with Carson yet he still does it again the next week. Something is broken in his head this year. 
He started the year badly, but I think he's even gone downhill further the last few weeks.  His processing just seems to be broken, his mechanics are terrible (what is Press Taylor doing the last 3 yrs ffs) which is a big cause of the accuracy issues but his confidence seems totally shot as well.  

Breakdown on Wentz mechanics with examples

Carson is trying, he's taking a beating every week but he just seems shell shocked.  The team has failed him badly but I still believe he can be salvaged with new and better coaching.  Not guaranteed though. 

Why do we suck so bad after winning the super bowl? 

Time to clean house. If we don’t we’re gonna end up sucking the next decade. 

Wentz needs a good running game and to be rolled out the pocket. Idk why they they keep calling these 5-7 step dropbacks. 

There was a time I thought Wentz was the second coming of Aaron Rodgers. God was I wrong. 

another fun stat:

Les Bowen  @LesBowen

BTW, Sidney Jones has a 77.3 Pro Football Focus coverage grade, in 161 coverage snaps this season. Darius Slay's coverage grade is 59.8. Avonte Maddox weighs in at 38.2.

It is funny how the bad outweighs the good with the Eagles front office like 10 to 1. Only positive i can think of is finding the staff responsible for drafting Jordan Mailata, and the staff who were responsible for bringing on Alex Singleton and Fulgham, and promoting the hell out of them. fire everybody else outside of a handful (Duce, Stout, etc.)

another fun stat:

Les Bowen  @LesBowen

BTW, Sidney Jones has a 77.3 Pro Football Focus coverage grade, in 161 coverage snaps this season. Darius Slay's coverage grade is 59.8. Avonte Maddox weighs in at 38.2.

It is funny how the bad outweighs the good with the Eagles front office like 10 to 1. Only positive i can think of is finding the staff responsible for drafting Jordan Mailata, and the staff who were responsible for bringing on Alex Singleton and Fulgham, and promoting the hell out of them. fire everybody else outside of a handful (Duce, Stout, etc.)
I wonder if those responsible for drafting Kelce in the 6th round in 2011 are still around.

No. OC is allowed to interview for HC without a block. They can be blocked for other OC jobs though. Position coaches can be blocked too from interviewing for a coordinator job. Lurie did that for DeFlippo
They also did it a few times with Udlin too

Plus the fact that apparently he spends 25% of his day upset at those who didn't draft him.
Like seriously you are in the league proving people wrong. Yeah it sucks you got passed over but I've said before his medical red flags I wasn't blaming anyone passing over him. Really liked him in college but with those medical issues a lot of teams were hesitant to take a chance. But seriously dude needs to get over himself. I was thinking about this today but imagine us struggling with DK I honestly think he's one of those guys that will cause "issues" publicly saying stuff to the media. 

Time to fire Dougie, now? Boy things change fast around here. 

Eagles fans also wanted rid of Andy Reid, so there's that.

Just throwing this out there:

Jadeveon Clowney : Carson Wentz :: Scott Stevens : Eric Lindros

:shrug:
I heard the concussion he took was pretty terrible. They literally rushed his wife down to the team medical in the locker room because they were that worried about it. There was talk even if we made it to the next round he wouldn't play and the NFC title game probably looked bad too. Then you had clowns like Josina Anderson on social media making an agenda out of of and I was so glad that Chris Long clapped back at her with the worst possible accusations you can give a reporter literally telling other NFL players to stay away from her. 

Wouldn't doubt a minus that concussion has had some after effects this year on him. It was really really bad.  

Time to fire Dougie, now? Boy things change fast around here. 

Eagles fans also wanted rid of Andy Reid, so there's that.
Severing ties with Reid was the best thing for everyone involved. He had stretched himself too thin and gone stale here. 

I'm not sure Doug needs to be fired, but the team's approach to drafting, developing, coaching and designing gameplans for talent needs a radical overhaul. Otherwise it's Jets/Lions levels of suck for 5 years or more. 

Sorry to go all Djax on everyone here. 

Anyways, if we lose out it looks like we will probably get pick 4.  Can't get into top 3 which will likely be the two stud QB's and Oregon OLineman.  Any of those three woulda been huge for us.  That tie with Cinci might end up haunting us if we lose out and miss out on one of those 3 players in the draft.
I know its biased a bit for me (which I'm admitting to BTW) but I'd take Trask over either guy, I could maybe have someone sell me on Lawerence but thats tough. I ain't touching Fields at all. We've seen what OSU QBs do constantly in this league. Productive in college and nothing in the pros. Trask runs a pro style RPO offense which I think with Carson and uptempo needs to work. Either way if we were in the top 2-3 I'd probably dangle the pick (since we have to keep Wentz and I trust him over Lawerence/Fields) for a QB needy team and see if we can stock pile a few more picks. We need a ton and we need to hit on a lot of the early picks because we aren't gonna be big players in FA anytime soon. 

And to give my reason on not liking Lawerence it has a lot to do with I think he's a product of the Clemson system. He's gonna be good but he's isn't this football god everyone is making him out to be. I'd take Joe Burrow 10 out of 10 times and twice on Sundays over Trevor. Lawerence had some bad games against a run of avg teams this year at one point. He had 5TDs to 5INTs. I think he has some bad throws as well that a lot of his WRs bail him out on (similar to PSU WRS awhile back with Trace McSorely). 

This isn't all saying Lawerence will be terrible he has fixable things with the right coaching. However if we're in the top 3 I wouldn't lie and tell you if I could move down and stay in the top 8 and get a 2nd and 3rd this year or a day 2 pick in there as well next year I'd tell you I'd say no. 

Severing ties with Reid was the best thing for everyone involved. He had stretched himself too thin and gone stale here. 

I'm not sure Doug needs to be fired, but the team's approach to drafting, developing, coaching and designing gameplans for talent needs a radical overhaul. Otherwise it's Jets/Lions levels of suck for 5 years or more. 
Reid was sunk by how he managed his assistant coaches late in his tenure with the Eagles, the Jim Washburn / Juan Castillo debacle is a good example.  Unfortunately Doug seemingly has problems evaluating assistant coaches and holding them accountable.

And that will be a game Washington likely needs badly and will ball out for.  And we may rest some guys or shut some guys down early.
If I remember correctly NFL rules state if you are not in a position to make the playoffs but the team you are playing seeding or making the playoffs matters you are not allowed to rest guys who would've started for you. This all goes back to I believe when the Colts rested guys at 15-0 vs the JETS who needed a win to make the playoffs Jets won and sent the league and NFL fans in a tizzy I believe it was that next year or after the NFL made that rule. 

Both because of the contract, and because of how well we've seen him play in the past I'd like to see Wentz come back next year with different coaching and see if they can rebuild him a bit.  Start with mechanics, which will improve his accuracy and a focus on movement and intermediate throws since those have previously been his strengths.  See what you have with that and if you think he's not worth the money at that point, or doesn't project any longer as a Top 10 type QB, then you can make a move after 2021.

I would never have expected to have this opinion but I've also never seen a player in this kind of tailspin before.

another fun stat:

Les Bowen  @LesBowen

You forgot Baby Yoda Boston Scott 

"I mean, Jalen, he simply wouldn't touch the field. And I love Jalen Hurts as a player, I was huge fan of him coming out of college, but I mean you drafted him and you started a controversy for no reason for Carson." 

Torey Smith on WIP

Bigboy10182000 said:
"I mean, Jalen, he simply wouldn't touch the field. And I love Jalen Hurts as a player, I was huge fan of him coming out of college, but I mean you drafted him and you started a controversy for no reason for Carson." 

Torey Smith on WIP
What a dumb pick - missed out on giving the team another player and added unneeded drama......reminds me of when the Jets brought in Tebow when Sanchez was playing decent.......he wasnt a threat to take over the QB position but just created so much drama that it sunk the team.  Invest that pick and some fAs in the OL and it would have been much better return for Wentz.

What a dumb pick - missed out on giving the team another player and added unneeded drama......reminds me of when the Jets brought in Tebow when Sanchez was playing decent.......he wasnt a threat to take over the QB position but just created so much drama that it sunk the team.  Invest that pick and some fAs in the OL and it would have been much better return for Wentz.
Ya and I think they said Chinn or Dobbins was going to be the pick if not Hurts.

It shows you just how far Doug and Howie are off on the pulse and politics of running an NFL team. 

Bigboy10182000 said:

Torey Smith on WIP
Kurt Warner said the same. You aren't helping any starting a controversy drafting a QB in the 2nd Round 

Eagles activated Ertz off of IR and JJ off the Covid list. The only thing JJ has caught since being here though it seems 

I can't be the only person watching this Baltimore vs. Pittsburgh game and notice that the Eagles need a similar offense scheme to get the ball out fast like the Steelers do.  Wentz plays a similar style of early Ben.  Now they have totally switched it up to a quick read offense of short throws.  Hides the weakness of line blocking and less hits to the QB.

I can't be the only person watching this Baltimore vs. Pittsburgh game and notice that the Eagles need a similar offense scheme to get the ball out fast like the Steelers do.  Wentz plays a similar style of early Ben.  Now they have totally switched it up to a quick read offense of short throws.  Hides the weakness of line blocking and less hits to the QB.
Wait are you saying slow developing, down field routes for average receivers are not the best for a struggling QB behind a patchwork line? Next you'll tell me running the ball more than 10 times is a good idea. 

Wait are you saying slow developing, down field routes for average receivers are not the best for a struggling QB behind a patchwork line? Next you'll tell me running the ball more than 10 times is a good idea. 
Was kind of thinking similar to him without the 51 throws by Wentz thing. If we can somehow manage to do it and Pitt doesn't resign him Id be all for getting JuJu in here. Young WR who I think does a lot and he has a terrific work ethic and brings energy that doesn't seem to be there. 

I remember going into week one, we are all saying "wow, our Oline is hurt and WAS has a great D line. I'll bet we do a lot of quick throws to help" - then, instead we went with the "give up 72 sacks" route.

Could be Doug. Could be Carson isn't capable of processing a defense to know where the quick throw is.

I remember going into week one, we are all saying "wow, our Oline is hurt and WAS has a great D line. I'll bet we do a lot of quick throws to help" - then, instead we went with the "give up 72 sacks" route.

Could be Doug. Could be Carson isn't capable of processing a defense to know where the quick throw is.
I think it's both, especially this season with Wentz.  That said, plenty of other coaches to a much better job of creating well defined, easy reads for a QB through scheme and movement (both motion and QB movement).

Probably a little of both.

Bigboy10182000 said:

Torey Smith on WIP
Kurt Warner said the same. You aren't helping any starting a controversy drafting a QB in the 2nd Round 
Not for nothing, but the Packers drafted a QB in the FIRST round this year (that they traded up for!) and they seem to be doing ok avoiding a QB controversy. If Wentz and/or the team were playing to their potential, it wouldn't be an issue. Drafting Hurts isn't making Wentz play bad (or if it really is, he/we have bigger issues), but it exacerbates it a ton, especially in a city where the back-up QB is always looked at as the magic answer anytime the team struggles (and that was BEFORE Foles/SB52.)

I think the Eagles had Hurts high on their draft board just as part of the overall due diligence they do on every player for the draft. And they probably had him rated way higher than most other teams because when their pick came up in Round 2 he was still there and they may have even had a 1st round grade on him and saw him sitting there and thought: "We rated this guy as one of the best QBs in this draft that we think should have went 30 picks ago. That's never-before-seen differential value for one of our picks. Let's grab this (what we believe to be) highly-valuable asset and then figure out the rest later." 

This is a FBG forum, so most of us are familiar with VBD for FFB. But real-life is different than FFB. Going WR-WR-WR in a 2-WR league because in the 3rd round your 4th overall WR was still on the board can be justified for many reasons. But in real-life there's plenty of things that make that a bad strategy because you have 53-man rosters with tons of other positions to fill, you have personality factors, you have the optics from the fans and media, etc.

They thought they were outsmarting everyone. Instead, they heaped more fuel on a team that had already been smoldering and it's one of many reasons the team is now a full-blown dumpster fire. 

Not for nothing, but the Packers drafted a QB in the FIRST round this year (that they traded up for!) and they seem to be doing ok avoiding a QB controversy. If Wentz and/or the team were playing to their potential, it wouldn't be an issue. Drafting Hurts isn't making Wentz play bad (or if it really is, he/we have bigger issues), but it exacerbates it a ton, especially in a city where the back-up QB is always looked at as the magic answer anytime the team struggles (and that was BEFORE Foles/SB52.)

I think the Eagles had Hurts high on their draft board just as part of the overall due diligence they do on every player for the draft. And they probably had him rated way higher than most other teams because when their pick came up in Round 2 he was still there and they may have even had a 1st round grade on him and saw him sitting there and thought: "We rated this guy as one of the best QBs in this draft that we think should have went 30 picks ago. That's never-before-seen differential value for one of our picks. Let's grab this (what we believe to be) highly-valuable asset and then figure out the rest later." 

This is a FBG forum, so most of us are familiar with VBD for FFB. But real-life is different than FFB. Going WR-WR-WR in a 2-WR league because in the 3rd round your 4th overall WR was still on the board can be justified for many reasons. But in real-life there's plenty of things that make that a bad strategy because you have 53-man rosters with tons of other positions to fill, you have personality factors, you have the optics from the fans and media, etc.

They thought they were outsmarting everyone. Instead, they heaped more fuel on a team that had already been smoldering and it's one of many reasons the team is now a full-blown dumpster fire. 
Well I think we can all agree that Wentz is not Aaron Rodgers at this point. 

That works until you compare apples to apples IMO. Imagine GB picking a QB in round 1or 2 after his age 27 season and giving him 100+ million. It’s hard to put into worlds just how stupid this decision was. 

Im also not a fan of the “if he cares we have bigger issues” which insinuates your job security shouldn’t be affected by someone (Howie and Doug) saying your job isn’t secure. 

Wentz has NEVER not looked over his shoulder basically. He was thrust into starting as a rookie a full week before the season started. He has an MVP type season the year after and magically as soon as the Foles debates start he slips. Foles goes and we double down with Hurts. You’ll struggle to find ANY team who has handled a franchise QB worse than what you’re seeing here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I think we can all agree that Wentz is not Aaron Rodgers at this point. 
And not for nothing, the WR’s he has had there for his career have been phenomenal. He was only short on weapons when they got hurt. If you were to look at all the WR talent he’s had and compare it to our franchise history it’s laughable. 

Getting a QB weapons is so basic and simple yet we never do it. Teams like Pittsburgh for instance turn them over every other year and have for 10+ years. We can’t do it for ONE

And not for nothing, the WR’s he has had there for his career have been phenomenal. He was only short on weapons when they got hurt. If you were to look at all the WR talent he’s had and compare it to our franchise history it’s laughable. 

Getting a QB weapons is so basic and simple yet we never do it. Teams like Pittsburgh for instance turn them over every other year and have for 10+ years. We can’t do it for ONE
Pittsburgh draft and develops so many WRs that they can just cast off studs every 3-4 years because they have 3 more waiting in the wings. 

Pittsburgh draft and develops so many WRs that they can just cast off studs every 3-4 years because they have 3 more waiting in the wings. 
Yep which can keep extending Ben’s career and making them competitive seemingly every year while drafting late. 

Yep which can keep extending Ben’s career and making them competitive seemingly every year while drafting late. 
I don't think Howie has been as awful as people make it out to be but he's no where near that level. Too many misses. The bigger issue is that the guys he does get that could be diamonds in the rough never get developed here. An Average to poor GM combined with and Average to poor Coaching staff and you get a 3 win team. 

I don't think Howie has been as awful as people make it out to be but he's no where near that level. Too many misses. The bigger issue is that the guys he does get that could be diamonds in the rough never get developed here. An Average to poor GM combined with and Average to poor Coaching staff and you get a 3 win team. 
I think Howie did a great job in 2016, it seemed he came back humbled after the Chip thing.  Since 2018 though, I think he's been poor across the board.  Lots of bad draft picks, not many good ones, bad contracts and bad trades.

It's like he woke up after the Super Bowl and though, "They were all wrong, I really am a a genius".  He makes decisions like he can do no wrong.

I'm finding it harder and harder to see a path to improvement with this coaching staff at all.  Both Howie and Doug should go, IMO but I do think Doug has more good over the last 3 years than Howie but I think the rebuilding process only gets harder if you're not starting with a fresh GM / HC combo who both know they succeed or fail as a pair.

I think Howie did a great job in 2016, it seemed he came back humbled after the Chip thing.  Since 2018 though, I think he's been poor across the board.  Lots of bad draft picks, not many good ones, bad contracts and bad trades.

It's like he woke up after the Super Bowl and though, "They were all wrong, I really am a a genius".  He makes decisions like he can do no wrong.
Again I don't think they're bad across the board. 

2018 - Goedert, Maddox, Sweat, Pryor, Mailata (All have played significant time and contributed, not all good but they have played)

2019 - Dillard, Sanders, JJAW, Miller and Thorsen (This was average to below average. Sanders is great, Dillard can be good, JJAW, Miller and Thorsen awful)

2020 - Jury still out on this one but some good potential. Only really bad pick was Hurts and not because of him. Just the wrong pick for this team. 

How much is players are bad and how much is coaches can't develop? That's the problem with this team. 

Bigboy10182000 said:
On the right pace 
seems like it is out:

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports Eagles coach Doug Pederson is no longer calling every play on offense and could give up more responsibility moving forward. 

Per reporter Jeff McLane, Pederson has "handed the reins over" to passing game coordinator Press Taylor "several times in recent games." Pederson could give Taylor "more responsibility starting Sunday in Green Bay." Senior offensive assistant Rich Scangarello has apparently also been calling some plays in two-minute situations since the beginning of the season. 32-year-old Taylor had previously never called plays "at any level." The play-calling hasn't exactly been stellar for the Eagles, but offensive line woes and Carson Wentz's struggles remain bigger issues. This is unlikely to spark a renaissance for the final five games of the season. 

Pretty funny if true, because i haven't seen any good plays in the 2-minute offenses, and if Pres has been calling plays several times in recent games, i would love to know which plays those were. 

Users who are viewing this thread