What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (4 Viewers)

It's been awhile since we've injected top tier talent though. Every 3-4 years it seems we need this. Howie's top 5 picks are not so bad. Lane Johnson and Carson Wentz. Wentz has had just about the worst year imaginable but we know he can play. Lane is a borderline Hall of Famer. 

So what saying is, even Howie can't screw this up. Pick the best player at your slot and take the stud talent that should be a starter for 5-10 years.
And assuming Lawrence and Fields go - if we don't go QB - we'll have a top3 non-QB pick.

I've seen Patrick Surtain (CB) mocked pretty high, that would fill a perfect need. Micah Parsons as well, but have they ever picked a LB in the first round, let alone that high?
I'm nervous about going WR with that pick. Seems not uncommon for busts there.

He played fine
5-12 41.7% 109 yards 9.1 YPA 1 TD 1 INT 67.7 Rating 5 carries for 29 yards

He made 2 good throws and showed he could run in mostly garbage time. 

And assuming Lawrence and Fields go - if we don't go QB - we'll have a top3 non-QB pick.

I've seen Patrick Surtain (CB) mocked pretty high, that would fill a perfect need. Micah Parsons as well, but have they ever picked a LB in the first round, let alone that high?
I'm nervous about going WR with that pick. Seems not uncommon for busts there.
If not Surtain it better be Chase or Smith at WR. 

Love Parsons but that’s way to high for a LBer

I'd say it's a lock. 
Far from a lock.  We aren't even sitting at a top 5 pick right now.  If we win 1 game, we are out of the top 10.

I agree it's possible, even likely that we lose out.  But I would not say it's a "lock" that we lose out.

Far? We MIGHT be favored in one more game this season. 
Yes.  A "lock" insinuates that it is a done deal, and 100%.  Even if you put the odds of us winning each of the next games at 15% (this is pretty low especially considering you said we'd be maybe favoured in one), the odds of us going 0-4 are only 50%.  So yes, it is FAR from a "lock" that we go 0-4.

Yes.  A "lock" insinuates that it is a done deal, and 100%.  Even if you put the odds of us winning each of the next games at 15% (this is pretty low especially considering you said we'd be maybe favoured in one), the odds of us going 0-4 are only 50%.  So yes, it is FAR from a "lock" that we go 0-4.
My “MIGHT” was like 15% lol

This chorus from the peanut of gallery of "We told you so" about Wentz is some really distorted reality. They spent 4 years saying he wasn't good while he:

• Had one of the best rookie seasons, statistically, and showed promise
  • Delivered on that promise in Year 2 by contending for MVP and leading them to the #1 seed and being a key part of a Super Bowl winning season
  • Dealt with coming back from an ACL injury and then breaking his back in Year 3 to still put up 3,074 Yards, 21 TD, 7 INT, and 102.2 rating
  • Dragged a practice-squad of WRs in Year 4 to the playoffs by winning out the last 4 games
Just as it did then, it still stands now: the Wentz sucks takes during those 4 years are not based in any truth. Him sucking now (which no one, not even Jeff Lurie, will argue) doesn't validate the takes that he sucked all along. None of these trolls were saying "Yeah, he may be good now but he's going to fall off a cliff and be horrible at some point", which would be the only claim to saying "See, I was right!" 

It's moving the goalposts to make an incorrect statement retroactively correct, akin to spending the 80's swearing Michael Jackson's music is horrible and not worthy of Grammys and Billboard records, then screaming, "See, I told you!" every time he was dealing with an allegation of sexual abuse. You just didn't like Michael Jackson (or Carson Wentz), and that's cool, but don't distort that into some soothsayer badge of honor. 

Last edited by a moderator:
5-12 41.7% 109 yards 9.1 YPA 1 TD 1 INT 67.7 Rating 5 carries for 29 yards

He made 2 good throws and showed he could run in mostly garbage time. 

If not Surtain it better be Chase or Smith at WR. 

Love Parsons but that’s way to high for a LBer
Sure. That's fine. It's not good, it's not bad. He's a 2nd round rookie taking his first non-gadget snaps without even a preseason. Anyone saying that they want to see Hurts play to 'see what they have in him' is sorely mistaken. You won't. He'll struggle without question. That's fine and expected.

It's more concerning that Wentz is playing like a 2nd round rookie, then the 2nd round rookie playing like that. We need to bench Wentz for a bit because he's broken. I have no idea if he is fixable - but that mess out there helps no one.

Listened to the radio for 5 minutes. In those 5 minutes, we got excuses that

"Hurts would have had better stats if not for penalities and mistakes by others."

"Carson was never good and I told you so." 

"We should have kept Foles."

So buckle up for this next month of drama which is then a prelude to the whole off-season of non stop drama.

Ironically the one pick Howie should be fired for will probably save his job for one more year at least.

How bad is your oline?  Are you a threat to take Sewell at #3?  Concerned Bengals fan figuring out what to root for in case we screw up and beat Dallas this week.  Thanks.

-QG

Listened to the radio for 5 minutes. In those 5 minutes, we got excuses that

"Hurts would have had better stats if not for penalities and mistakes by others."

"Carson was never good and I told you so." 

"We should have kept Foles."

So buckle up for this next month of drama which is then a prelude to the whole off-season of non stop drama.

Ironically the one pick Howie should be fired for will probably save his job for one more year at least.
The Foles takes are always dumb. We caught lightning in a bottle, but even when he was here he was inconsistent as heck. The only argument that we should have kept Foles is that it would have been cheaper, and it would have meant we would have traded Wentz for probably a 1st.

Which - isn't a bad take, but that isn't the argument the Foles crew is usually making.

Ok give me the percentage odds you think we win each game.

Saints
Cards
Cowboys
WFT
0%

0%

15%

0%

Vacation plans will be in full affect after the Arizona game and I’m sure injuries will be worse as well. As we get closer to the Dallas game that % may drop to around 5%. 

When you look at Dallas’ and LA’s schedule they have very beatable opponents remaining. 

Would love to have heard the after-game conversation between Rogers and Wentz (And between Rogers and Hurts, which was longer.). Here you have two guys who watched a QB named Jalen get drafted much earlier than either would be happy with, but seems to have affected them totally differently.

This chorus from the peanut of gallery of "We told you so" about Wentz is some really distorted reality. They spent 4 years saying he wasn't good while he:

• Delivered on that promise in Year 2 by contending for MVP and leading them to the #1 seed and being a key part of a Super Bowl winning season
  • Dealt with coming back from an ACL injury and then breaking his back in Year 3 to still put up 3,074 Yards, 21 TD, 7 INT, and 102.2 rating
  • Dragged a practice-squad of WRs in Year 4 to the playoffs by winning out the last 4 games
Just as it did then, it still stands now: the Wentz sucks takes during those 4 years are not based in any truth. Him sucking now (which no one, not even Jeff Lurie, will argue) doesn't validate the takes that he sucked all along. None of these trolls were saying "Yeah, he may be good now but he's going to fall off a cliff and be horrible at some point", which would be the only claim to saying "See, I was right!" 

It's moving the goalposts to make an incorrect statement retroactively correct, akin to spending the 80's swearing Michael Jackson's music is horrible and not worthy of Grammys and Billboard records, then screaming, "See, I told you!" every time he was dealing with an allegation of sexual abuse. You just didn't like Michael Jackson (or Carson Wentz), and that's cool, but don't distort that into some soothsayer badge of honor. 
 This is so bang on. 

0%

0%

15%

0%

Vacation plans will be in full affect after the Arizona game and I’m sure injuries will be worse as well. As we get closer to the Dallas game that % may drop to around 5%. 

When you look at Dallas’ and LA’s schedule they have very beatable opponents remaining. 
This is just pure exaggeration. Nothing is 0 percent. You prob would have put the Giants beating the Hawks at 0 too. And 15 percent against Dallas when you said we could possibly even be favoured?  

Even with your hyperbole, 85 percent is not considered a lock. 

0%

0%

15%

0%

It's not near that bad, but it's not good.  It's probably like 25% Saints,  35% Cards, 50% Cowboys,  40% WFT. Give or take 5-10% on the last 3 based on  how next game goes.

Like 4 weeks ago, I put the Eagles at 5 wins. I thought we'd pull one of these non-divisional games out, then one of the last two. That is still a pretty strong possibility, although the 'pull one of the non divisional game out' chance goes lower now that we've dropped the first two.

It's not near that bad, but it's not good.  It's probably like 25% Saints,  35% Cards, 50% Cowboys,  40% WFT. Give or take 5-10% on the last 3 based on  how next game goes.
This is much more accurate. 

I'm in that awkward/ashamed stage of not knowing if I want us to win a game or be a top 5 pick. Don't have it in me to root for a loss but damn a pick that high would be nice. 

The biggest different with Hurts, is that he's looking at the WR's. Wentz - he is barely looking at WR's at all. It's why his YPA is so low (and if he didn't hit that 40 yarder to Goedert it would be even more abysmal).  The Hurts throw to Reagor - Wentz doesn't even try that throw.

Deamon said:
This is just pure exaggeration. Nothing is 0 percent. You prob would have put the Giants beating the Hawks at 0 too. And 15 percent against Dallas when you said we could possibly even be favoured?  

Even with your hyperbole, 85 percent is not considered a lock. 

babydemon90 said:
We’re not watching the same team.

Other than the Saints, the Eagles aren't facing any juggernauts.  No way are they only 15% against any of the other teams.  Hell I put them over 15% against a Drew Brees less Saints team.  I would say the same thing about other bad teams in the league (other than the Jets who probably can't even beat some of the better college teams).  

babydemon90 said:
The biggest different with Hurts, is that he's looking at the WR's. Wentz - he is barely looking at WR's at all. It's why his YPA is so low (and if he didn't hit that 40 yarder to Goedert it would be even more abysmal).  The Hurts throw to Reagor - Wentz doesn't even try that throw.
:goodposting: i don't think this can be emphasized enough. It is strange, but it seems that Wentz locks on one player and makes his throw, and doesn't see the whole field. I would love to watch some game film of him from the '17 season to see if this was significantly different then. But this point was so evident the game against Seattle when you would see WRs running patterns wide open, and Wentz never looked their way. by the 2nd half, you heard the commentators talking about how the WRs got no separation off the line, but i am 99% sure they didn't because why would they if they knew they were not going to get thrown the ball

The Noid said:

I listen to this guy from North Dakota who fits this description pretty well.

Its an important part of his brand to hate Wentz though, so I won't rain on his parade.

If I were to lay a bet on those 4 games right now I’d bet 0-4. 
If we assume the Eagles are 15% to win for each of the last 4 games, then it's about a coin flip as to whether the eagles go 0-4 vs getting at least one win.  I think they're a minimum of 15% against each of those teams (and significantly higher against the Cardinals, Cowboys and Football Team).  I think the Eagles get at least one more win this year.  I know there is no reason to be optimistic but some of those teams are also very flawed (maybe just as flawed as the Eagles).

If we assume the Eagles are 15% to win for each of the last 4
This is where we are all different. I have no clue how you can watch this team and assume 15% without using Hail Mary logic. 

Do you believe the WR’s will get open now? Do you think Doug will just snap out of it? Do you think Press Taylor will figure out how to coach QBs now? Do you expect better blocking from the OL? Think they’ll finally feed Sanders now?

You think Swartz will get it now? 

Our OL is so bad it makes average DL’s look great. Same with our WR’s and opposing DB’s etc. Those 2 units are arguably the worst in the league at this point. Bottom 3-5 for sure  

Im genuinely curious how you get to the 15% other than saying “well, anything can happen” which is essentially Hail Mary logic. 

Saints are 7 point favorites which equates to a 75% chance to win. The Saints are better than the last 3 opponents, so doubt any of the games are much lower than 25% to win. If they were all 25%, you have a 68% chance to win at least 1.

This is where we are all different. I have no clue how you can watch this team and assume 15% without using Hail Mary logic. 

Do you believe the WR’s will get open now? Do you think Doug will just snap out of it? Do you think Press Taylor will figure out how to coach QBs now? Do you expect better blocking from the OL? Think they’ll finally feed Sanders now?

Our OL is so bad it makes average DL’s look great. Same with our WR’s and opposing DB’s etc. Those 2 units are arguably the worst in the league at this point. Bottom 3-5 for sure  

Im genuinely curious how you get to the 15% other than saying “well, anything can happen” which is essentially Hail Mary logic. 
I’m basing it solely on how bad I think Washington and Dallas are.  I don’t think Dallas would beat the Eagles 8-9 out of 10 times.  They’re both putrid.

15% is low.  We are still saying the same as you, that we will likely lose each game.  Saying 0% is illogical... there's definitely a chance to win each game.  You call it 'hail mary logic", but what is wrong with that?  I think you're underestimating how low 10% is... never once disagreed we are bad or will be underdogs in all of those games, but saying absolutely 0% chance we beat the Cardinals or WFT is just exaggerating for attention.

Users who are viewing this thread