Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson playing Nate Sudfeld in the 4th quarter of a 4-win team's final game.

6 hours ago, Kiddnets said:

Eagles need to resolve the Wentz situation sooner rather than later.....letting that drag out could torpedo next season as well as Hurts development....they need to either trade him or bite the bullet and cut him...they are paying Hurts so little its not awful.  

Did you see how Hurts played yesterday? Just a reminder we need to keep Wentz. Hopefully some team loses a QB similar to the Minny/Bridgewater situation and gets desperate and wants to give us something valuable for Hurts. Wentz isn't going anywhere next year. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Andy is an example of a classy human being.  Angelo Cataldi is an example of a vile human being.  Good beats evil again.  Hooray!!!

This chorus from the peanut of gallery of "We told you so" about Wentz is some really distorted reality. They spent 4 years saying he wasn't good while he: Had one of the best rookie seasons, st

At least now my fantasy name can be My Cox Hurts instead of My Cox Ertz now. 

5 hours ago, Kiddnets said:

I think they just tell Carson he needs to help with that contract if he wants to be a starter again....otherwise he can be the most expensive backup in the league the next 2 yrs....hes not going to want to lose 2 of him prime yrs...hes going to want to go and prove them wrong so its win.win

As for trading Hurts - I think hes shown enough to get a 1st for him but doubt they move him....Wentz is the one to go and they know it....they have to make it happen or 2021 will be an absolute mess in the locker room.

You really want to make this worse? Threatening him does very little. It doesn't help what is already a rocky relationship with a player that feels like he was stabbed in the back by the very organization and lied too. 

The locker room was a mess because of people Like ALshon being a little :censored: going to his reporter GF and talking smack on his said starter and not being a man about. Then the Team keeping said player rather then eating the money and cutting him. Mack Hollins was another mouth and they were able to get rid of him easier as he was on a rookie deal. Hurts hasn't shown anything yet to say he's a must keep either. We root for a team who's seen a ton of QBs look good in year 1 or 2 or both and then fall flat off the earth. Difference with Wentz is he's incredible more talented then every single on of those guys. If the Eagles can take a 1st for Hurts I wouldn't even blink. I'd be incredible happy. Let some other team deal the project QB. Maybe the Eagles get lucky and it's a 1st rounder then ends up a top 10-15 pick the next year. 

4 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Threatening him with being a starter unless he “helps” with a restructure is about as poor of a way to handle that as I can imagine. They’re not going to be able to macho him into giving back millions he didn’t see yet so he can “prove people wrong.” The are in a no win scenario with him in negotiations. They have zero leverage. 

If Hurts ends up going 1-3 and continues to regress the locker room won’t be an issue. Foles won a SB and Wentz had an MVP type year. These are not similar situations. 

And if Hurts could get a one he’d be gone immediately. Have to give it more time but he may grade out even worse in this draft than last years compared to the QB’s coming out. 

I think I'd take Trask/Lance/Wilson/Lawerence and Last years #1 Burrow off the top of my head before I even considered Hurts. We all know he was a reach in the 2nd round and a unneeded reach at that. 

2 hours ago, Deamon said:

Ugh.  I'm not sure how I'll be able to get through a season of casual football fans telling me that "they should be starting Hurts" after every loss next year.  The "you should have kept Foles" ones were bad enough.

I posted the breakdown of halfs for Hurts that Big has been kind to keep update yesterday to someone who thought Hurts was "ready" to start. The person said he was ready and I told them to look at the stats I just posted. She told me she didn't need to look at them. The worst part is I've already seen and heard people make the excuses for Hurts they told all of us weren't excuses for Wentz yesterday. They just don't know when to quit. Forget who said it yesterday but these people aren't really fans. Just casuals who want an excuse to go party and brag about the teams success like they were part of the team and always want to be the I told you so crowd. 

2 hours ago, Insein said:

I just ignore them or call them dumb if they say it to me in person. 

I wish I could say this to people at work but most of those are customers and it'd probably get me in trouble because you know got to be "customer friendly". 

2 hours ago, Kiddnets said:

I agree with all of this.....even if they loved Hurts it just created drama when it wasnt necessary....reminds me to a lesser degree of when the Jets brought in Tebow....it crushed Sanchez's confidence and created a QB issue every week....now Sanchez (and Wentz) should be above that but they just arent....nothing good comes out of it....

Looking at the numbers I agree its going to be very tough to move on from Wentz....Hurts much easier but I think GM ego will not allow them to deal Hurts....I see this ending badly.  

Are you really comparing this to that? Sanchez was pretty terrible who's weaknesses were hidden by a great oline/run game and great defense. If Tebow was causing him issues maybe Sanchez should've thought about a different career path. And I'm saying this as the biggest Tebow/Florida fan on this board. 

Wentz is a lot better then Sanchez and Hurts is a bit better then Tebow but I wouldn't call Hurts the second coming of Joe Montana either. I think it was more it just PO'd Wentz they'd get a QB that early. Doesn't matter who the QB is you just extended the dude and you draft a QB the next year with a day 2 pick? That wouldn't go over well with any player. Heck Tom Brady Ripped Bill and Kraft a new one for drafting Jimmy G. 

Edited by DJackson10
  • Like 1

Couple different ways to look at it. If the OL was healthy Wentz wouldn’t have looked like that. Give him the job next year until he shows he’s the same guy with a good OL. Corollary is that Wentz has proven that he is a bad QB under pressure. He may be a great QB unpressured but playoff games are won and lost by under duress throws and decision making. 

I agree w DJax that who knows what you have with Hurts. He was more effective in a bad situation. Might be a great time to sell high, might be a better option than Wentz.

I think this goes into 21 season, you know Hurts will mentally embrace it being it’s a reverse redux of his college career. And the report is that Wentz doesn’t want to accept the challenge. I think one will be traded but it will be mid or post season next year 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Are you really comparing this to that? Sanchez was pretty terrible who's weaknesses were hidden by a great oline/run game and great defense. If Tebow was causing him issues maybe Sanchez should've thought about a different career path. And I'm saying this as the biggest Tebow/Florida fan on this board. 

Wentz is a lot better then Sanchez and Hurts is a bit better then Tebow but I wouldn't call Hurts the second coming of Joe Montana either. I think it was more it just PO'd Wentz they'd get a QB that early. Doesn't matter who the QB is you just extended the dude and you draft a QB the next year with a day 2 pick? That wouldn't go over well with any player. Heck Tom Brady Ripped Bill and Kraft a new one for drafting Jimmy G. 

.obviously Wentz has a better resume but Sanchez did take the Jets to back to back championship games...and while Tebow wasnt a great QB his popularity was ridiculous so it became a circus.....

Look at Rodgers - he was furious that GB spent a 1st rd pick on a QB....so he went out and played at an MVP level.  I guess some take it better.....Wentz doesnt seem to be taking it as well.... wait until a stadium full of Eagle fans start booing and chanting for Hurts after Wentz;s 1st int.  If you cant deal/cut Wentz then I think Hurts should go....just think its going to be an impossible situation.  

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Babooya said:

Couple different ways to look at it. If the OL was healthy Wentz wouldn’t have looked like that. Give him the job next year until he shows he’s the same guy with a good OL. Corollary is that Wentz has proven that he is a bad QB under pressure. He may be a great QB unpressured but playoff games are won and lost by under duress throws and decision making. 

I agree w DJax that who knows what you have with Hurts. He was more effective in a bad situation. Might be a great time to sell high, might be a better option than Wentz.

I think this goes into 21 season, you know Hurts will mentally embrace it being it’s a reverse redux of his college career. And the report is that Wentz doesn’t want to accept the challenge. I think one will be traded but it will be mid or post season next year 

I watched a lot of Eagles games and Wentz was getting crushed almost every play he dropped back....not to mention the coaches never seemed to adjust....Hurts may not be the better QB but he is better equipped to play behind a bad OL like you said....with that cap situation I cant see them fixing the OL through FA....maybe a T with that top 10 pick?  

• Like 1

So the excuse some are making on the radio is that during Carson's 12 games he played the offense was only averaging 4.8 yards per play and Hurts is averaging 6.5 yard per play since he took over. That has to be the dumbest argument I've ever heard. Not just the smaller sample size but the different defenses, oline combinations and playcalling over the course of 12 games to cumulatively rattle Carson compared to 3 so far for Hurts. Not to mention the key difference; averaging 171 yards rushing per game these last 3 weeks compared to 116 for all of Carson's games. 

Some people have an agenda to push and they aren't very subtle about it. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Kiddnets said:

I watched a lot of Eagles games and Wentz was getting crushed almost every play he dropped back....not to mention the coaches never seemed to adjust....Hurts may not be the better QB but he is better equipped to play behind a bad OL like you said....with that cap situation I cant see them fixing the OL through FA....maybe a T with that top 10 pick?  

Need to hope Lane and Brooks come back healthy, Kelce stays and Dillard pans out as serviceable so we have a good starting bunch and some depth. Those guys will all be here.

24 minutes ago, Babooya said:

Wentz doesn't want to be solely the back up. From what Ive heard (and Scheftar didn't for some odd reason do a good job with this for some reason) is Wentz doesn't want to go into this new season knowing he's the back up being paid starter money. He wants to be out there and given a fair chance. If he loses out competitiveness in him like many he would like to go elsewhere and start. it's a terrible situation for Wentz and I can't blame him for it. Yes We can blame his play thats on him but how much of that is contributed to how the Eagles have handled certain situations from Keeping a team cancer who talks poorly about him and isn't man enough to tell him at face value and clearly shows he won't play for him, giving a contract to you thats says Franchise QB ONLY TO GO AND DRAFT A QB IN THE 2ND RD, among other things. If I were him I'd be reacting the same way honestly. Anyone who doesn't fell sorry for the guy in some way do to how the team handled this either already didn't like the guy, doesn't follow football or hasn't followed every thing that has happened that led to this. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Kiddnets said:

.obviously Wentz has a better resume but Sanchez did take the Jets to back to back championship games...and while Tebow wasnt a great QB his popularity was ridiculous so it became a circus.....

Look at Rodgers - he was furious that GB spent a 1st rd pick on a QB....so he went out and played at an MVP level.  I guess some take it better.....Wentz doesnt seem to be taking it as well.... wait until a stadium full of Eagle fans start booing and chanting for Hurts after Wentz;s 1st int.  If you cant deal/cut Wentz then I think Hurts should go....just think its going to be an impossible situation.  

There were issues between Wentz and the team prior to Hurts being drafted. That's what you don't seem to understand. Yes I know Tebow's popularity. The Jets turned that into a circus themselves though. 

The Eagles kept a disgruntled player who talked smack behind his back and then kept said player. That would upset any player including Rodger or Brady. However Wentz personality and character wise isn't to lash out like said other QBs have. The people already wanting Hurts a lot of these same people were swinging off Foles Nuts claiming he was the 2nd coming. Once they were proven wrong about Foles they needed a new Christ savior for them. They are so desperate on being right that Wentz was never good. 

We in Philly have seen guys like Hurts before. Looks good for a season then crashes. Hurts should go but if they can't get rid of him they will have to keep him. Thats the situation the Eagles created not Wentz. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Babooya said:

I don't think this is necessarily true. Just last year, Carson ranked 9th in passer rating vs the blitz amongst all passers that had 200 attempts. This was just an exceptionally bad offensive line situation this year. It's even starting to get to Hurts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2019/11/2/20943679/who-should-you-not-blitz

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Wentz doesn't want to be solely the back up. From what Ive heard (and Scheftar didn't for some odd reason do a good job with this for some reason) is Wentz doesn't want to go into this new season knowing he's the back up being paid starter money. He wants to be out there and given a fair chance. If he loses out competitiveness in him like many he would like to go elsewhere and start. it's a terrible situation for Wentz and I can't blame him for it. Yes We can blame his play thats on him but how much of that is contributed to how the Eagles have handled certain situations from Keeping a team cancer who talks poorly about him and isn't man enough to tell him at face value and clearly shows he won't play for him, giving a contract to you thats says Franchise QB ONLY TO GO AND DRAFT A QB IN THE 2ND RD, among other things. If I were him I'd be reacting the same way honestly. Anyone who doesn't fell sorry for the guy in some way do to how the team handled this either already didn't like the guy, doesn't follow football or hasn't followed every thing that has happened that led to this. 

I’m not aware of the local talk radio stuff. He should be the “#1” going into camp with a healthy team. Doesn’t mean he will leave camp that way, and the leash will be tight. My point was that they aren’t going to know the direction of their team until mid season 

12 minutes ago, Insein said:

So the excuse some are making on the radio is that during Carson's 12 games he played the offense was only averaging 4.8 yards per play and Hurts is averaging 6.5 yard per play since he took over. That has to be the dumbest argument I've ever heard. Not just the smaller sample size but the different defenses, oline combinations and playcalling over the course of 12 games to cumulatively rattle Carson compared to 3 so far for Hurts. Not to mention the key difference; averaging 171 yards rushing per game these last 3 weeks compared to 116 for all of Carson's games. 

Some people have an agenda to push and they aren't very subtle about it. 

I think both stations at this point clearly are on the agenda of trying to get Carson out of town. Not sure why but I'm not surprised with Cataldi leading the charge as usually with his brainwashed cult of jabrony knuckle dragging neanderthals 

Just now, DJackson10 said:

I think both stations at this point clearly are on the agenda of trying to get Carson out of town. Not sure why but I'm not surprised with Cataldi leading the charge as usually with his brainwashed cult of jabrony knuckle dragging neanderthals 

That's expected. It's the younger guys like Giglio that have this ax to grind against Carson. Speaking like Hurts played a great game yesterday but just made a few mistakes. And he goes on and on about how Doug is this amazing coach that needs to be preserved at all cost since we messed up by letting Andy go. :rolleyes:

• Laughing 1
1 minute ago, DJackson10 said:

Stations are into drumming up controversy to have hot takes and get people to listen. They are right that this issue will be prime content for them for the better part of the next year. 

4 minutes ago, Insein said:

I don't think this is necessarily true. Just last year, Carson ranked 9th in passer rating vs the blitz amongst all passers that had 200 attempts. This was just an exceptionally bad offensive line situation this year. It's even starting to get to Hurts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2019/11/2/20943679/who-should-you-not-blitz

I think in 2017 or 18(Can't remember the year exactly) Carson was one of the best QBs on 3rd down when blitzed against as well 

8 minutes ago, Babooya said:

I’m not aware of the local talk radio stuff. He should be the “#1” going into camp with a healthy team. Doesn’t mean he will leave camp that way, and the leash will be tight. My point was that they aren’t going to know the direction of their team until mid season 

I'm not talking about Local Radio. I wouldn't even mention most of the radio Jabronies and I do not even listen to their dribble. National Reporter Adam Scheftar made a vague tweet/report that Carson Wentz didn't want to be in Philly if he was the back up which can be construed in several ways to fit any agenda. Considering I know a few people the report by Scheftar was too vague and surprisingly click baity for a guy who's usually pretty direct and detailed. I was pointing out if Carson knew he was the back up from seasons start he'd rather not be here. However he wants to be here long term even with everything considering the organization wise because he's built a life foundation here. From his charity, to community stuff, wife and son and a house. He has a lot invested in the area already. He just wants to be given a fair chance something it seems the Eagles haven't done for him and may have promised and didn't keep 

Edited by DJackson10
6 minutes ago, Babooya said:

Stations are into drumming up controversy to have hot takes and get people to listen. They are right that this issue will be prime content for them for the better part of the next year. 

You clearly don't know local radio here in Philly. It's a fast talking Jabrony from Conn who acts like he's the voice of Philly fans who roots for the Yankees and Jets, Who put the Dirty 30 together to boo the Eagles draft pick if it wasn't Ricky Williams, who enticed fans to throw batteries at JD Drew for not signing with the Phillies when he declined to after they drafted him and complete msiogynistic person, a guy on the other radio station who made fun of Victor Cruz tearing his knee,  among other comments to people and fans he disagrees with that should've had him canned, half the other guys act like they know sports but have no clue what they talk about, and then every one of the are back stabbers and liars. Tony Bruno had a partner on the one show whos named escapes me (younger fans liked him who got let go by WIP) who they tried to keep away from one another get drama started just to get rid of the other guy. Bruno came out In 2015 with his own podcast and absolute blasted both stations airing so much dirty laundry it's hard for me to think why anyone would continue to listen to either station. This was after 97.5 got caught in faking one of their callers being the producers of the morning show and not being genuine with callers and such. Sports radio here is embarrassing and laughable. If one of us on here called with knowledgeable facts and data hard thought out common sense they'd instantly hang up on us and then with the next caller make fun of us. Its nothing but HS banter the sports radio shows here. Also they are all tough behind their microphones but when confronted by local athletes, coaches or orgs or fans who don't like they run like coward dogs. 

And I apologize for the Sports radio rant there. Just PO's me every time how one of my favorite sports radio guys in Tony Bruno was so mistreated by both local stations here and then how he aired dirty laundry on both. I have a friend who works in the media now (Not real big decently successful and does mostly 76ers/Flyers coverage with Nova Basketball TU Football Soul football ) who worked as an intern for Glen MacNow and a bit with Big Daddy Graham (last 2 guys in sports radio I got any respect for) and he literally confirmed a lot of Bruno's accusations being true. Including how much Angelo Cataldi hated Bruno especially the fact how Bruno was super knowledgeable compared to him on sports and made him look bad a few times in front of collegues. Angelo knows the right powerful people and he's tephlone at the station and tried to get Bruno fired numerous times. While at 97.5 behind his back his producers and boss were negotiating with Anthony Gargano to replace him on their show. I was super excited when Bruno first came back locally as I knew there'd be some great sports talk locally finally again But both stations unfortunately are into immature little girl Middle school drama. 

Hopkins,Metcalf, Jefferson and Adams: What do all 3 of these WRs have in common other then 2020 pro bowl WRs? 

Eagles chose to trade for Slay instead of trading for Hopkins

Eagles Drafted JJAW over Metkalf

Eagles drafted Reagor over Jefferson

Eagles drafted Jordan Matthews over Adams 

Just incase you weren't depressed enough about this team. 

• Laughing 1
59 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Hopkins,Metcalf, Jefferson and Adams: What do all 3 of these WRs have in common other then 2020 pro bowl WRs? 

Eagles chose to trade for Slay instead of trading for Hopkins

Eagles Drafted JJAW over Metkalf

Eagles drafted Reagor over Jefferson

Eagles drafted Jordan Matthews over Adams 

Just incase you weren't depressed enough about this team. 

Other than Hopkins (who was already a stud), none of these guys would have panned out here with our coaching.  Metcalf and Jefferson would still be sitting behind Alshon and Adams would have been cut in year 2. 

• Sad 1
14 hours ago, Babooya said:

who knows what you have with Hurts. He was more effective in a bad situation. Might be a great time to sell high, might be a better option than Wentz.

“I don't really care much about their grades tbh but Jalen Hurts has grades of 48, 56 and 49 the past 3 weeks. To put that into context, just looking at the last 3 weeks, he is 36th out of 38 QBs who have taken 20% of snaps. The only QBs below him are Nick Mullens and Big Ben“

Same writer today:

“Going to have a lot of clips out on this later... but just got done with the all22 and I have 2 takes. 1) This was a GREAT game by Doug. He got guys open consistently. Really good gameplan overall. 2) This was a very bad game by Hurts. He left a lot of throws out there.”

My point overall is that the take of “Hurts has looked/played better than Wentz” is literally who’s the tallest midget. Who cares if Wentz was the worst starting QB if Hurts is the 31st?! 

14 hours ago, Babooya said:

And the report is that Wentz doesn’t want to accept the challenge

There was no report that said that IIRC. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

“I don't really care much about their grades tbh but Jalen Hurts has grades of 48, 56 and 49 the past 3 weeks. To put that into context, just looking at the last 3 weeks, he is 36th out of 38 QBs who have taken 20% of snaps. The only QBs below him are Nick Mullens and Big Ben“

Same writer today:

“Going to have a lot of clips out on this later... but just got done with the all22 and I have 2 takes. 1) This was a GREAT game by Doug. He got guys open consistently. Really good gameplan overall. 2) This was a very bad game by Hurts. He left a lot of throws out there.”

My point overall is that the take of “Hurts has looked/played better than Wentz” is literally who’s the tallest midget. Who cares if Wentz was the worst starting QB if Hurts is the 31st?! 

Yep. If you'd listen to certain people in this town, Jalen should be rookie of the year. Not even joking. 

I do think it says a lot about Doug. If his plays are getting guys open but the QBs are getting killed before that, then maybe it's not a good play for the current situation (bad/injured oline). Maybe those plays are good when we have a healthy oline but he needs to come up with something else once it's seen that the QBs have no time to get the receivers the ball. Or you know a crazy idea of running the ball more with your obviously best player on offense in Miles Sanders. They could take more heat off of that pass rush and give more bite to the play action they love to use without any runs to set it up.

Edited by Insein
44 minutes ago, Insein said:

Yep. If you'd listen to certain people in this town, Jalen should be rookie of the year. Not even joking. 

I do think it says a lot about Doug. If his plays are getting guys open but the QBs are getting killed before that, then maybe it's not a good play for the current situation (bad/injured oline). Maybe those plays are good when we have a healthy oline but he needs to come up with something else once it's seen that the QBs have no time to get the receivers the ball. Or you know a crazy idea of running the ball more with your obviously best player on offense in Miles Sanders. They could take more heat off of that pass rush and give more bite to the play action they love to use without any runs to set it up.

The consistency, at every level, has been absolutely insane. This team can barely sustain a decent drive let alone a solid quarter, half or game. There’s too many things that are broken and as cliche as it sounds it all starts upfront. That has been a constant all year and stated immediately with Brooks going down and than the revolving door at LT shortly thereafter. 

Our WR’s are just so bad every single year too. There seems to be some youth there so hopefully we can get better production next year but we still need a stud. I’m not giving up on Reagor/Hightower/Watkins yet but I’m done with everyone else. This year was way to big for them. 

And I agree again. Run the ball and feed the stars you had available. In must win games there’s no reason not to see 25+ touches for Sanders and 15 targets for Ertz/Goedert. All teams do it week in and week out. 

I forget which announcer said it but it was something like “when the OL does well the RB doesn’t, when the QB plays well the WR’s drop it and when the WR’s play well the QB doesnt”. Same with Doug, he can draw up a great play and one of the above messes it all up. It’s been the story of the season. When you get time go back to page 60 of this thread. It was evident from game 1 this year. 

Edited by Bigboy10182000

And kind of right on que:

Dave Fipp today talked a lot about being able to control the process but not the result. 
My interpretation: "You can coach until you're blue in the face, but if the talent sucks, your special teams suck."

Edited by Bigboy10182000
15 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

. National Reporter Adam Scheftar made a vague tweet/report that Carson Wentz didn't want to be in Philly if he was the back up which can be construed in several ways to fit any agenda. Considering I know a few people the report by Scheftar was too vague and surprisingly click baity for a guy who's usually pretty direct and detailed. I was pointing out if Carson knew he was the back up from seasons start he'd rather not be here. However he wants to be here long term even with everything considering the organization wise because he's built a life foundation here. From his charity, to community stuff, wife and son and a house. He has a lot invested in the area already. He just wants to be given a fair chance something it seems the Eagles haven't done for him and may have promised and didn't keep 

That was an odd story by Schefter. He spent an awful lot of time walking back a story he still says is 100% accurate.
And, btw, Wentz has a daughter.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Mystery Achiever said:

That was an odd story by Schefter. He spent an awful lot of time walking back a story he still says is 100% accurate.
And, btw, Wentz has a daughter.

Yeah that was my bad typing late.And yes it was odd of Scheftar. 98% of what's gonna come out is BS. I have multiple things going on asking around. Stuff I've heard has come up as partially true, thats not true at all or the no comment. From at least 2 writers I know they've said their sources have even stopped talking which is odd as well. Something is definitely happening in the organization and no one knows what is what. 

But back to Scheftar that is unlike him to put that story out and then walk back on it despite saying its accurate. He's one of the best in terms of getting accurate info and correct, This is why when I hear stuff wrestling wise I post on here or others I double triple and sometimes re check it again with people after that to make sure I understood it but also make sure what I was told wasn't false. My former older co worker use to do camera work for WWE when they do shows in Philly, sometimes NJ/NYC depending when the show was etc. He had some production guys he talk to tell him something that was more so personal relationship wise for a wrestler. I asked around with people I knew. Little did I know at the time I eventually had a breaking story for the co host of the podcast I listen too and he broke the news. It was news I was hoping wasn't true but just an example of sourcing the info you get. Given how sensitive the topic was I kept it only to a few people at the time 

3 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Hurts All22 from the Dallas game

Hurts Notes from Cowboys

Alright, so last night I watched the All 22 of the Cowboys game and I have some thoughts on Hurts.  It’s going to be bad, and not saying this as a Wentz apologist because he thoroughly deserved to be benched this year and I believe his problems are mostly of his own making.

Here we go, his arm strength is average to a touch below.  Watch a Wentz highlight package from 2018/2019 and you’ll regularly see throws Hurts can’t physically make. 

An example is the throw he missed to Reagor on a post route for a TD.  Play design here did a great job of influencing the middle safety to open his hips and move away from Reagor, who did a nice job bursting out of his break and getting a couple yards of separation.  The S still had time to turn and close to the point of almost being able to make a play.  I initially thought he’d been late on the read, but he threw this on time from a clean pocket.  Just didn’t have enough juice on it, then the ball was high anyway.  He also missed Reagor on a similar route for a TD vs. the Cardinals.

There are a few throws that really show a QBs arm strength and it’s not the bomb throws like the Jackson TD, those can have air under them and are easier to make.  Deep outs, deep comebacks, intermediate window throws over the middle in zone, and skinny post throws against a single high S are the throws to look at if you want to see if a QB can rip the ball, Hurts doesn’t have the arm to consistently make those throws, IMO.

His accuracy was off all game too, like the throw above, he sailed a ball to a wide open Sanders on one play, and several other plays where the ball is low or behind players who were open.

I still think his field vision, ability to read through progressions is poor.  He missed seeing open players numerous times.  On the 4th and 15 play, Boston Scott was wide open on the left sideline with one player to beat for a 1st down.  He throws to Ertz instead.  Missed a wide open Jeffrey on a short 3rd down.  Missed seeing Greg Ward wide open on a deep dig on a play where he ran instead.  Missed, or didn’t want to throw to a wide open Sanders running parallel with Hurts while he scrambled left.  Sanders eventually gave up on being a target and blocked somebody while Hurts ran.  Threw behind Reagor on a short crosser.

The only throws he consistently makes with anticipation are out breaking routes to the sideline and the fade / go routes vs. man.  Outside those, he is a “see it, throw it” QB.  He is consistently late throwing to open players, reducing YAC opportunities.

As far as his future prospects go, the only path for someone with his arm talent to become a top tier QB is to have elite accuracy and ability to read the field.  Hurts is nowhere near the mark on both of those points.  Sure, he’s a rookie and can improve, but the leap required to get there from where he is is so great, the chances of that happening are tiny.

Thinking about ranking QBs, I kind of use 3 tiers.  I like the Daniel Jeremiah “trucks and trailers” comparison.  A truck is a guy who pulls the team forwards, a trailer is a guy who needs the team around him to pull him forwards.

So, the top tier are the trucks, guys who make other players better.  The middle tier are the guys who are “fine” but need great surrounding talent and coaching.  Your Kirk Cousins, Jimmy G types.  The last tier are the guys you know you have to replace.  Nick Foles, Tyrod Taylor etc.

I think Hurts absolute ceiling is the second tier, and most likely outcome is bottom tier.  I believe if he starts next season, he will be a bottom tier QB.

What really shows the future prospects here are the quarter by quarter and 1st / 2nd half splits on Pro Football Reference

There’s a consistent pattern of Hurts starting out with solid play, and deteriorating the longer the game goes.  Almost like DCs can say “OK, I see what we’re dealing with”, adjust and his performance deteriorates the longer the game goes on.

All this reads to me like a backup QB.  It’s asinine that they picked him in the middle of the 2nd round, given the state of this roster and now they have a huge ####### mess on their hands. 

• Like 6

It's funny just jumping in the car at random times and hearing people go on their insane rants. Tonight is Jack Fritz in for Joe Giglio and he must have to follow Joe's opinion because he started off with the most idiotic monologue I've ever heard. 

"Thank God we went through this 2020 season because we got it out of our system. It was a necessary pill to swallow in order for them to finally move forward from Wentz and Howie and start to grow the team around Hurts."

10 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Same writer today:

Right. Hurts is a 2nd round rookie who sees the field poorly.

I don't view that as any indication whether or not he can be a starter in this league, it's an open question. He's playing at the level of a 2nd round rookie with no preseason and limited camp. The fact that it moves the offense better then Carson is incredibly troubling for Carson. Personally I wouldnt complain if they trade both.

Just now, babydemon90 said:

Agree on the poor arm strength though. That was apparent from his first start, just not quite able to get those out passes there.

He moved the ball in the first half of the year. It was around mid season (Cowboys game especially) that we started to see a dramatic decline. That was about 100 hits into the season then. Wonder how Jalen would look after 8 games behind this line?

16 minutes ago, babydemon90 said:

Right. Hurts is a 2nd round rookie who sees the field poorly.

I don't view that as any indication whether or not he can be a starter in this league, it's an open question. He's playing at the level of a 2nd round rookie with no preseason and limited camp. The fact that it moves the offense better then Carson is incredibly troubling for Carson. Personally I wouldnt complain if they trade both.

This is where I am starting to go.  Neither may be the answer

Carson comes back healthy next year with something to prove. Hurts settles in to the back up role and continues to grow towards maybe being a starter for someone one day. Offensive line can't possibly be worse than this year and hopefully stays relatively healthy. We get Smith or Chase with our top pick. Hopefully a real offensive coordinator who can design plays to fit our talent. Last place schedule. Bad division. 

We could be back at 10-11 wins next year if things just go normal (no major injuries, draft busts etc).

20 minutes ago, Insein said:

He moved the ball in the first half of the year. It was around mid season (Cowboys game especially) that we started to see a dramatic decline. That was about 100 hits into the season then. Wonder how Jalen would look after 8 games behind this line?

I was talking about Jalen. Wentz's arm strength is fine.

1 minute ago, babydemon90 said:

I was talking about Jalen. Wentz's arm strength is fine.

Not sure why it quoted that post. I was responding to the one about moving the offense better than Wentz.

I'd actually like Parsons in the draft. I know we don't prioritize LB's - but doesn't almost every great defense have a great LB in the middle? Could look it up, but I feel anecdotally that anytime a defense is great - it has a great LB.

22 minutes ago, Insein said:

Carson comes back healthy next year with something to prove. Hurts settles in to the back up role and continues to grow towards maybe being a starter for someone one day. Offensive line can't possibly be worse than this year and hopefully stays relatively healthy. We get Smith or Chase with our top pick. Hopefully a real offensive coordinator who can design plays to fit our talent. Last place schedule. Bad division. 

We could be back at 10-11 wins next year if things just go normal (no major injuries, draft busts etc).

I would take this all day.   With some serious coaching changes 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Insein said:

The question is, who are we going to need to cut to get under the cap, and how are we going to replace them? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ash said:

Hurts Notes from Cowboys

Alright, so last night I watched the All 22 of the Cowboys game and I have some thoughts on Hurts.  It’s going to be bad, and not saying this as a Wentz apologist because he thoroughly deserved to be benched this year and I believe his problems are mostly of his own making.

Here we go, his arm strength is average to a touch below.  Watch a Wentz highlight package from 2018/2019 and you’ll regularly see throws Hurts can’t physically make. 

An example is the throw he missed to Reagor on a post route for a TD.  Play design here did a great job of influencing the middle safety to open his hips and move away from Reagor, who did a nice job bursting out of his break and getting a couple yards of separation.  The S still had time to turn and close to the point of almost being able to make a play.  I initially thought he’d been late on the read, but he threw this on time from a clean pocket.  Just didn’t have enough juice on it, then the ball was high anyway.  He also missed Reagor on a similar route for a TD vs. the Cardinals.

There are a few throws that really show a QBs arm strength and it’s not the bomb throws like the Jackson TD, those can have air under them and are easier to make.  Deep outs, deep comebacks, intermediate window throws over the middle in zone, and skinny post throws against a single high S are the throws to look at if you want to see if a QB can rip the ball, Hurts doesn’t have the arm to consistently make those throws, IMO.

His accuracy was off all game too, like the throw above, he sailed a ball to a wide open Sanders on one play, and several other plays where the ball is low or behind players who were open.

I still think his field vision, ability to read through progressions is poor.  He missed seeing open players numerous times.  On the 4th and 15 play, Boston Scott was wide open on the left sideline with one player to beat for a 1st down.  He throws to Ertz instead.  Missed a wide open Jeffrey on a short 3rd down.  Missed seeing Greg Ward wide open on a deep dig on a play where he ran instead.  Missed, or didn’t want to throw to a wide open Sanders running parallel with Hurts while he scrambled left.  Sanders eventually gave up on being a target and blocked somebody while Hurts ran.  Threw behind Reagor on a short crosser.

The only throws he consistently makes with anticipation are out breaking routes to the sideline and the fade / go routes vs. man.  Outside those, he is a “see it, throw it” QB.  He is consistently late throwing to open players, reducing YAC opportunities.

As far as his future prospects go, the only path for someone with his arm talent to become a top tier QB is to have elite accuracy and ability to read the field.  Hurts is nowhere near the mark on both of those points.  Sure, he’s a rookie and can improve, but the leap required to get there from where he is is so great, the chances of that happening are tiny.

Thinking about ranking QBs, I kind of use 3 tiers.  I like the Daniel Jeremiah “trucks and trailers” comparison.  A truck is a guy who pulls the team forwards, a trailer is a guy who needs the team around him to pull him forwards.

So, the top tier are the trucks, guys who make other players better.  The middle tier are the guys who are “fine” but need great surrounding talent and coaching.  Your Kirk Cousins, Jimmy G types.  The last tier are the guys you know you have to replace.  Nick Foles, Tyrod Taylor etc.

I think Hurts absolute ceiling is the second tier, and most likely outcome is bottom tier.  I believe if he starts next season, he will be a bottom tier QB.

What really shows the future prospects here are the quarter by quarter and 1st / 2nd half splits on Pro Football Reference

There’s a consistent pattern of Hurts starting out with solid play, and deteriorating the longer the game goes.  Almost like DCs can say “OK, I see what we’re dealing with”, adjust and his performance deteriorates the longer the game goes on.

All this reads to me like a backup QB.  It’s asinine that they picked him in the middle of the 2nd round, given the state of this roster and now they have a huge ####### mess on their hands. 

Another fantastic piece here Ash!!!!! What I really love is it's very detailed but also uses words that even a casual fan could comprehend as well. Have you ever thought about doing your own blog of All 22 or maybe writing for an established blog? Even as like a guest writer every few weeks? I think you'd be great in that type of field. 

• Like 1
  • The Noid changed the title to *Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson playing Nate Sudfeld in the 4th quarter of a 4-win team's final game.