What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (3 Viewers)

lol, i will always love the enthusiasm of this fanbase, but man this thread can be tricky to keep up with

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1345443334916104194

Reports from Schefter and Mort that Doug will be back next year.
and another report Carson wants out:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2925173-carson-wentz-trade-rumors-qb-expected-to-ask-eagles-to-move-him-this-offseason

is this from his agent, or what? would love to know who is driving this narrative on Sunday mornings, and with this report i think there is almost zero chance Wentz is an Eagle next year

i really, really think the Hurts pick in the 2nd round knew some of this was coming

I wonder if part of the rationale for keeping Doug is - with the cap problems and the QB mess, for potential coaches we are a much less attractive alternative this offseason than the Jags, Jets, Chargers, etc. Likely we would get the 6th or 7th best guy.

So, since the players like Doug, maybe it makes sense to give him another year and see what he can do to fix the situation. If he can’t and we have to ditch him after 2021, we’ll be in a better position to attract a top candidate since the cap situation will be better and likely one of Hurts or Wentz will have been traded away.
This is the only thing that makes sense. I'm not sure how you run this back and expect things to get better? Especially if Howie doesn't lose personnel decisions? What is the excuse for this year? All on Schwartz? 

I personally would have went for a QB minded HC to see if they can resuscitate Wentz's career while doing the rebuild. I suppose if Howie can get out of cap hell, he can keep his job and continue negotiating the food contracts. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2925173-carson-wentz-trade-rumors-qb-expected-to-ask-eagles-to-move-him-this-offseason

is this from his agent, or what? would love to know who is driving this narrative on Sunday mornings, and with this report i think there is almost zero chance Wentz is an Eagle next year

i really, really think the Hurts pick in the 2nd round knew some of this was coming
This tweet kind of summarizes my feelings as it stands now:

I understand if Wentz doesn't believe next year with Doug would be better and wants out.

I also wouldn't be surprised if everything behind the scene is OK and ESPN overly dramatize the situation because they know philly drama sells.

And if the reports are true that it’s broken beyond repair taking a QB moves to front and center with this draft pick. 
team needs to much we will see. I don't know squat about CFB, but if Chase Yong is as good as they are saying, we have seen a top 2 WR in the league make an average or slightly above average QB look very good. Like Andre Johnson, or even a Julio Jones. 

that is one thing why i am glad if they move on from Wentz. I have to track his numbers over the entire career, but he has always seemed to want to throw to TEs more then the wideouts. Not sure why that has been the case, but it is weird when the back-up comes in and the wideouts look so much better for the next week or 2. 

and i do think Wentz will do well on the next team he lands on. Not sure if 2017 Wentz will come back, but a top 10 QB is realistic. not sure if top 5 ever is again

I understand if Wentz doesn't believe next year with Doug would be better and wants out.

I also wouldn't be surprised if everything behind the scene is OK and ESPN overly dramatize the situation because they know philly drama sells.
i think Wentz is more to blame then Doug. If we looked over the games for the first half of the year most would agree. I am trying to remember which game specifically, but there was one where Carson's throws to Sanders and the WRs were all like 5 yards above their heads. 2 almost INTs too,

Carson inactive tonight. Guaranteeing he will be perfectly healthy going into the offseason. 

I can understand the frustration from Carson's side but I'm still waiting to hear the words from the man himself. He hasn't had to do press conferences last month so I guess no one can get in to ask him the question. Until he says it or until the Eagles trade him, I'm assuming he's back.

Carson inactive tonight. Guaranteeing he will be perfectly healthy going into the offseason. 

I can understand the frustration from Carson's side but I'm still waiting to hear the words from the man himself. He hasn't had to do press conferences last month so I guess no one can get in to ask him the question. Until he says it or until the Eagles trade him, I'm assuming he's back.
at this point, i just can't see how Wentz will be back. Will be a nightmare training camp and everything. and my guess is we will have some fans in the stands by the time the next year starts, if Carson is around i am guessing the Boo Birds will be even worse than those for McNabb after Wetnz's 1st incompletion goes 5 yards over Miles Sanders head

i think John Clark brings up an interesting point with the timing of these potential news clippings:

John Clark @JClarkNBCS

So reports come out yesterday that Doug Pederson is expected to be back as Eagles coach next year

Then today reports come out that Carson Wentz is expected to request a trade because he believes relationship with Doug and Eagles is fractured

Yes I mean Lance. I watched Lance play as I had a soft spot for NDST before Wentz was QB so I saw a lot of Wentz when he was there. Wentz was my favorite QB to watch in College after the Tebow Florida yrs. I d still take Lance over a lot of the other guys though especially Fields. maybe even Wilson. I'm still undecided on Mac Jones. I like Lawerence but I feel theres gonna be consistency issues at the next level. Seemed to get bailed out a few times on bad throws by his receivers and started this year rough Still the #1 pick I just don't love the guy like I did Burrow. 
Wentz, Lance and Wooderson are all NDSU alumni. 😀 Fun to watch these guys succeed and was very excited when the Eagles drafted Wentz. Would love to see Lance go to the Eagles as well but just don’t think the Eagles would dare do it. 

Im bias but would love to see Wentz get another shot with the Eagles with a new coaching staff. 

this is a better comversation for off-season, but looking at it i see a lot of teams that could be interested in Wentz:

there are the obvious:  Indy,  New England

but i think you have multiple with aging QBs that would really do well grabbing Carson. Some that stand out to me:  Steelers, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, etc.

i think a team would be pretty smart to grab Wentz with one of those main QBs in the line-up who are pretty much guaranteed to retire the next year. Let Carson come in without the total pressure of starting week 1, and they can ease him into the offense. 

You have to think Pittsburgh will not see a top 10 draft pick for some time, i would think him going to Pittsburgh may be a pretty great move for him

Man we need to lose this one, would be so Eagles to win today. 
with Washington playing for a playoff spot, and their defense still being top it will be tough to lose with the OL they will have today. Also think Alex playing is a top upgrade for them 

have put quite a bit of coin on Washington tonight at anything under a TD

this is a better comversation for off-season, but looking at it i see a lot of teams that could be interested in Wentz:

but i think you have multiple with aging QBs that would really do well grabbing Carson. Some that stand out to me:  Steelers, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, etc.

i think a team would be pretty smart to grab Wentz with one of those main QBs in the line-up who are pretty much guaranteed to retire the next year. Let Carson come in without the total pressure of starting week 1, and they can ease him into the offense. 

You have to think Pittsburgh will not see a top 10 draft pick for some time, i would think him going to Pittsburgh may be a pretty great move for him
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I would love to see Pittsburgh trade for him but unfortunately I don't think they can make it happen given their cap situation.  Indy seems to make the most sense (other than the Eagles just holding onto him which probably makes the most sense).  

The money doesn't really work for Pitt though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I would love to see Pittsburgh trade for him but unfortunately I don't think they can make it happen given their cap situation.  Indy seems to make the most sense (other than the Eagles just holding onto him which probably makes the most sense).  
i do like the report from ESPN today has mentioned Wentz is willing to adjust his contract for a trade. Makes total sense for him to land to a place where he might want to be more. Will be a fun few months, because i think this has to be done before the draft

I think if we let Wentz go for an underwhelming offer it’s going to be pretty depressing watching him turn it around on another team that gives him weapons while Hurts is exposed in his 2nd season. I don’t care if he begs for a trade, unless it’s a strong offer he stays and we draft one of the top WR round 1. 

The money doesn't really work for Pitt though.
i forget which podcast i was listening too, but they talked about a bunch of different options that could make it work for an easier trade and less of a cap hit for the next team. i can't remember the specifics, but they made it sound like he could go to a new team with around a 15-20 million dollar cap hit for next year (i think the following year would be more, but this allows for an easier move)

I think if we let Wentz go for an underwhelming offer it’s going to be pretty depressing watching him turn it around on another team that gives him weapons while Hurts is exposed in his 2nd season. I don’t care if he begs for a trade, unless it’s a strong offer he stays and we draft one of the top WR round 1. 
Which is why unless a team is offering a first plus, I don't think Howie even has the conversation. Too much dead money to eat for anything less than getting back almost what they paid to get him for one bad year.

agree that we all hope there are multiple teams who want Wentz. i just think this has hit almost a point of no return, especially if Doug is back next year.

i would have to think the trade would involve multiple scenarios for what the Eagles get back. Like picks flipping to the 1st round if Wentz makes the playoffs next year

i think Wentz is more to blame then Doug.
I try to see everyone’s point of views and understand them but just can’t with this one. 

His teams are getting worse and worse. Look at our records.   

His QB’s are getting worse and worse. Foles, Wentz and now Hurts  

His in game management is getting worse and worse. I mean this is a guy not using timeouts when trying to go for 2 with games on the line. Going for 2 down 4. Going for 2 when a FG puts you down 3. Hell just last week when asked why he punted on one 4th down and not the other he said because he got frustrated. 

Also if Hurts is a Howie guy Doug can simply deactivate him to avoid the drama. He didn’t. What’s that tell you? He’s a Doug guy and Doug plans to “build the offense around Wentz and still have packages for Jalen”. He STILL doesn’t get it  

If you think Wentz can still be a top 10 QB somewhere else and Doug is a lesser problem I don’t know what else to tell you. The great coaches maximize their talent. Doug has done about a poor a job of that as you can do. Everything from not seeing how a second round QB affects a team to countless pressers where he sounds so lost and detached. There’s just so much. 

Im sorry but Doug has been an absolute disaster in every measurable way this season. 

I try to see everyone’s point of views and understand them but just can’t with this one. 

His teams are getting worse and worse. Look at our records.   

His QB’s are getting worse and worse. Foles, Wentz and now Hurts  

His in game management is getting worse and worse. I mean this is a guy not using timeouts when trying to go for 2 with games on the line. Going for 2 down 4. Going for 2 when a FG puts you down 3. Hell just last week when asked why he punted on one 4th down and not the other he said because he got frustrated. 

Also if Hurts is a Howie guy Doug can simply deactivate him to avoid the drama. He didn’t. What’s that tell you? He’s a Doug guy and Doug plans to “build the offense around Wentz and still have packages for Jalen”. He STILL doesn’t get it  

If you think Wentz can still be a top 10 QB somewhere else and Doug is a lesser problem I don’t know what else to tell you. The great coaches maximize their talent. Doug has done about a poor a job of that as you can do. Everything from not seeing how a second round QB affects a team to countless pressers where he sounds so lost and detached. There’s just so much. 

Im sorry but Doug has been an absolute disaster in every measurable way this season. 
yeah, they are probably both to blame. I just know this season watching Wentz has been cringe worthy.

also is a weird dynamic with the reports that wentz's camp is saying he can't work with Doug. Hard to say with how many players seem to love Doug that Carson would have such a hard time working with him. Doug has also been way over the top praising and protecting Wentz with the media

i do like the report from ESPN today has mentioned Wentz is willing to adjust his contract for a trade. Makes total sense for him to land to a place where he might want to be more. Will be a fun few months, because i think this has to be done before the draft
Doesn’t change our cap hit at all though and we have the same guy drafting. So essentially he’d be given away and we take a huge cap hit. I really don’t think you guys are getting just how bad the cap hit would be. It will be the most dead money taken EVER while we are already 70 million OVER the cap. 

yeah, they are probably both to blame. I just know this season watching Wentz has been cringe worthy.

also is a weird dynamic with the reports that wentz's camp is saying he can't work with Doug. Hard to say with how many players seem to love Doug that Carson would have such a hard time working with him. Doug has also been way over the top praising and protecting Wentz with the media
Hasn’t been a single QB under Doug who didn’t end up cringe worthy. 

You’ll go with a “Hurts is a rookie” and at one point so was Carson.  It took Carson 5 years to look like Hurts now who’s regressed faster than any of the other QB’s

One constant. 

Doesn’t change our cap hit at all though and we have the same guy drafting. So essentially he’d be given away and we take a huge cap hit. I really don’t think you guys are getting just how bad the cap hit would be. It will be the most dead money taken EVER while we are already 70 million OVER the cap. 
'21 is a crush cap wise, but they can clean up for '22. 

they are probably both to blame.
They’re not. How many times since you’ve been a football fan have you seen bad or average players go somewhere else and magically live up to their potential? Like when you see Tannehill this year, how do you think that happened?

Under no circumstance should ANY fan be OK accepting Wentz will be better in like Indy. Why the hell would we be OK giving them a top 10 QB as you say?? 

'21 is a crush cap wise, but they can clean up for '22. 
And in your eyes what does that team look like coming into 21? Surly 3-13 or 4-12 right? With how much talent? We still have to field a team next year. 

agree that we all hope there are multiple teams who want Wentz. i just think this has hit almost a point of no return, especially if Doug is back next year.

i would have to think the trade would involve multiple scenarios for what the Eagles get back. Like picks flipping to the 1st round if Wentz makes the playoffs next year
It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall and see what’s really going down. Doug as a former QB you would hope would have a strength of being good with his QB. I do worry Carson is too mentally fragile for Philly and all his injuries and not coming through has gotten in his head. Still we know he has it in him to be a top QB, he goes somewhere with weapons we are going to loom real stupid. He’s always seemed like a good kid, it baffles me that he can’t see he deserves the bench this year. 

Let’s see what pick we end up with today, I don’t know there are any QB’s in play 5-10 range we should be in love with? I’m just not sold on Hurts but hope he proves me wrong if this is really how it’s going down. 

They’re not. How many times since you’ve been a football fan have you seen bad or average players go somewhere else and magically live up to their potential? Like when you see Tannehill this year, how do you think that happened?

Under no circumstance should ANY fan be OK accepting Wentz will be better in like Indy. Why the hell would we be OK giving them a top 10 QB as you say?? 

And in your eyes what does that team look like coming into 21? Surly 3-13 or 4-12 right? With how much talent? We still have to field a team next year. 
well, if Lurie is keeping Howie like it seems he will, we can see.

i just really hope Howie doesn't do his usual and just kick the can down the road. rip it off like a band-aid and just deal with '21

well, if Lurie is keeping Howie like it seems he will, we can see.

i just really hope Howie doesn't do his usual and just kick the can down the road. rip it off like a band-aid and just deal with '21
If you knew your job was on the line are you thinking about 21 or 22? 

• Smile
Reactions: Ash
If you knew your job was on the line are you thinking about 21 or 22? 
who knows, ad hopefully it is '21 and not '22. to be honest they aren't going to be that horrendous. Compare them to this year, how much worse can they look? what big priced guy will they lose that will hurt them that much?

who knows, ad hopefully it is '21 and not '22. to be honest they aren't going to be that horrendous. Compare them to this year, how much worse can they look? what big priced guy will they lose that will hurt them that much?
You don’t think Dallas, NY or Washington will get better?

We will lose just about every high priced guy we can get rid of. Than the injuries roll in and we have what for depth? The same or worse than you’re seeing now. 

I’m as optimistic as they come but if you roll with a QB controversy or just Hurts along with cap casualties and awful drafting you’re looking at 3-13 to 4-12 at best. And the only talk will be how we all seen this coming and should have fired Doug and Howie. 

You don’t think Dallas, NY or Washington will get better?

We will lose just about every high priced guy we can get rid of. Than the injuries roll in and we have what for depth? The same or worse than you’re seeing now. 

I’m as optimistic as they come but if you roll with a QB controversy or just Hurts along with cap casualties and awful drafting you’re looking at 3-13 to 4-12 at best. And the only talk will be how we all seen this coming and should have fired Doug and Howie. 
not arguing with that, but what choice do they have? mess is too big at this point, need to try consolidate the mess and get it done as quick as you can. though i don't know how much patience Lurie will have for losing money like he will

The whole story is he doesn't want to compete to start and if he has to back up rather get traded. I believe a lot of this is the agent though as from what I heard from people is that he doesn't want to uproot everything he started here from community stuff, family etc he's got going in the TRI State area, But he does feel the team backstabbed him and honestly I can't blame him. I hate this whole situation. It's also not like the guy coming in to replace him is someone teams are clamoring for and have the mindset "gee golly wiz guys I wish we had Hurts on our Team." which makes the situation worse. We're literally IMHO Down grading from a tier 1QB when at his best to a Tier 3 QB when he's at his best. Can't win titles that way unless you got some great pieces around him which the Eagles don't have. 

Get rid of the coach, GM and get new eyes in here to start the inevitable rebuild. 
do we really think a new coach and a new GM would want to inherit this mess? maybe, but a new GM will sink before they can get a chance to do much. though a high draft pick could make the position more enticing. 

also think you bring new pieces in, it may take longer than a year to fix. will lose quite a bit by then, so if we don't have 2 good drafts this year or next it could be a job not worth taking. 

the rumour is Lurie is meeting with Doug on Tuesday. so we will see at that point what a plan may be. 

thankful about that so we can all move on from this debate and begin to assess what we will be working with

I'll go with What is ESPN Loves drama Alex. They always do and seem to sugar coat how bad a lot of situations are. They also pick and chose what teams to defend. I remember for yrs they road Colin Kaepernick's jock and defended SF even when it became clear CK was not the future QB there. It seems Scheftar and Mort now are becoming no different then other journalists now throwing  :censored:  up on the wall and hope it sticks now reporting. 

Now my honest opinion of the situation? I don't think it's as bad as ESPN says it is. I do think Carson is pretty mad with the team and feels backstabbed but if he were to have the only decision he'd prefer to stay in Philly given everything he's done so far here from family stuff, community service, team etc. I do think his agent is leaking this is potentially another rat who's in the Jeffrey Circle or has it out for Wentz who was a Foles supporter. This is why I said a few days ago got to know who your sources are and their agenda. 

do we really think a new coach and a new GM would want to inherit this mess? maybe, but a new GM will sink before they can get a chance to do much. though a high draft pick could make the position more enticing. 

also think you bring new pieces in, it may take longer than a year to fix. will lose quite a bit by then, so if we don't have 2 good drafts this year or next it could be a job not worth taking. 

the rumour is Lurie is meeting with Doug on Tuesday. so we will see at that point what a plan may be. 

thankful about that so we can all move on from this debate and begin to assess what we will be working with
Doug once inherited a mess so yes, I believe a guy looking to become a HC or GM would have interest. You said we won’t be that horrendous right? Either way money and opportunity to an aspiring coach and GM candidate will be all that matters. These guys have been waiting their whole lives for this and won’t balk at the chance to make their dream come true. 

No way. 

Steelers not even close to the cap room.

And Carson has said he wants to be a starter... how would his situation improve being a backup for a full season?  No way Tampa takes on a huge backup QB contract when Tom says he wants to play a few more years and Carson doesn't want to be a backup.  Only way NO makes sense is if Brees retires THIS offseason.

This is IND, NE, or PHI in my opinion..

didn't read the whole article, but my guess is this is what the narrative will be off-season:

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/01/carson-wentz-to-eagles-thanks-for-the-big-contract-now-screw-you.html

really no way he can be on the team with this narrative
If we let the media drive a wedge in between the front office, HC and GM we are in a bad, bad place for a long time. 

And no, I don’t think they do or care what the media says at all. Ultimately they have to play well. If Wentz starts here and does well the questions will go away week by week. If Wentz leaves and plays well those questions will grow week to week. It works both ways. 

Yeah this is hard when you don't have answers from the horses mouth. If I were the team I make Carson available tonight or tomorrow to the media. No holding back let him talk. I think I know why teams hold off on guys speaking to he media to not create more of a circus but at the same time if you act like the dude is MIA and you have all these rumors coming out it may make the situation worse and then no one looks good in the end. 

Doug once inherited a mess so yes, I believe a guy looking to become a HC or GM would have interest. You said we won’t be that horrendous right? Either way money and opportunity to an aspiring coach and GM candidate will be all that matters. These guys have been waiting their whole lives for this and won’t balk at the chance to make their dream come true. 
well the decision isn't up to us, it's up to Lurie. seems like it may already be made, which i don't think is a great decision:

https://phillysportsnetwork.com/2021/01/03/eagles-doug-howie/

(basically says Howie and Doug are seeming to come back, unless it is just junk in the actual article and i got caught with some click bait)

Users who are viewing this thread