What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (1 Viewer)

QB always gets the blame when things aren't going well but I agree that this one wasn't completely on Wentz.  He wasn't great but he had no time at all and he has no help out there (including the line, position players and coaching).  This is the same guy who has played like an MVP in the past.  If Pederson stays, I feel like Wentz needs a change of scenery to resurrect his career.  He's got the talent.

With Wentz though, how many passes did he have beyond 5 yards? i know they made some good yardage by drawing DPI too. Not say all on him, but definitely don't feel like he will be the reason why they win games either
Between the OL being bad and banged up (today was the 10th different OL combination), the WR’s just being young, inexperienced or just bad in the veterans case and the coaching I don’t know how any QB can over come that. He’s just 1 of 11 on that side of the ball. The pressure is constant and so many times the pocket is so small or collapsing. I was so glad when Riddick mentioned how long it’s taking receivers to get open too. 

Peterson will go before Wentz. We need an offensive mind that's young and creative to come in here and get something going. 
100%. While he’s not the full proof QB I thought he was he can definitely function in an offense where he has time, playmakers and a good scheme. 

Not sure who the reporter was, but asked a good question to Doug, Carson and Goedert:

"What happened on that 4th down play when you guys were not on the same page. you have played together for 3 years and it is week 12, how are you not on the same page?"

as usual, no real answers, but fair enough question
It was the last question and it was Les Bowen. Andy would have answered that question the way Doug should have. It’s 100% coaching. Out of all the guys on that side of the call Goedert and Sanders are the ones that have been together the longest. No reason at all not to feature them. There’s just no scheme to get guys in advantages spots. 

On top of the 4th and 2 play being outright stupid, we ran a play for Richard F’ing Rodgers. That’s who you’re trying to hit with the game and possible you’re job on the line??

As another reporter asked. Fulgham through 5 games had one of the best stretches in the league. You go into and out of the bye and your message is “we have to get Alshon more involved” 

Down 17-9 and it’s 4th and 2 from your own 48. Your defense has been playing well and it’s a one score game. Your offense is struggling. Why the F are you even thinking of going for it? Why are you targeting Richard Rodgers?

Fails. Now Seattle’s moves the ball and you’re down 20-9. Two scores. 

So now with 8:40 left you have a chance to tack on 3 and bring the game back to a one score game. Easy decision right? Not for this ####### moron. Picked off and the next time you touch the ball there’s 4 minutes left and you’re down 2 scores. 

It’s every damn week with him. These are not complicated decisions with what you’re working with. 

Great job by our DC getting him extra fired up tonight!!!!! 

DK Metcalf after career high 177 yards, he says he had a chip on his shoulder and was fired up because of this pregame:

He says Jim Schwartz said to him that he was with Megatron in Detroit, and that he is not there yet
Jim Schwartz’s side of the story is that he was complimenting DK Metcalf, telling him he’s the closest thing he’s seen to Megatron.

Down 17-9 and it’s 4th and 2 from your own 48. Your defense has been playing well and it’s a one score game. Your offense is struggling. Why the F are you even thinking of going for it? Why are you targeting Richard Rodgers?

So now with 8:40 left you have a chance to tack on 3 and bring the game back to a one score game. Easy decision right? Not for this ####### moron. Picked off and the next time you touch the ball there’s 4 minutes left and you’re down 2 scores. 

It’s every damn week with him. These are not complicated decisions with what you’re working with. 
was trying to figure this out in the game thread. Why in the world no one in the organization is asking why Rodgers and Alshon Jeffrey are in there, and you are not better utilizing Sanders and Raegor? It is almost inexcusable, and easier to realize that looking at the rest of the league. you have plenty of crappy teams who find ways to utiulize the talent on their team, Eagles just do not. Is Antonio Gibson and McLaurin head and shoulders that much superior to Sanders and Raegor?

Jim Schwartz’s side of the story is that he was complimenting DK Metcalf, telling him he’s the closest thing he’s seen to Megatron.
This is probably more of a story. It sounds like at this point DK has a vendetta against us and just loves starting ish with now. Not sure why us out of all the other teams who passed on him though

I've been on Doug's side for a long time but this sequence of events is absolutely fireable. No way to spin this in a defensive manner here. We aren't playing Madden here. This is guys lively hoods on the line 

was trying to figure this out in the game thread. Why in the world no one in the organization is asking why Rodgers and Alshon Jeffrey are in there, and you are not better utilizing Sanders and Raegor? It is almost inexcusable, and easier to realize that looking at the rest of the league. you have plenty of crappy teams who find ways to utiulize the talent on their team, Eagles just do not. Is Antonio Gibson and McLaurin head and shoulders that much superior to Sanders and Raegor?
I mean I can see why at times they aren't putting Sanders in there for his ball security issues but he was out way too much that you can't even use that excuse. I get taking him out late in a game wanting to grind the clock better ball secure guy or goal line but you kept him out what seemed like half the night. No excuse not to be in there unless he's hurt 

no 1st downs in the first 5 drives? and 9 points until the last minute of the game....... 

the only thing that makes this feel a little better is feeling like the Eagles have an owner who cares, and is as frustrated as the fans are

no 1st downs in the first 5 drives? and 9 points until the last minute of the game....... 

the only thing that makes this feel a little better is feeling like the Eagles have an owner who cares, and is as frustrated as the fans are
Maybe cares a little too much at times and getting too hands on. You can be a great owner but if you aren't a football mind in terms of decision making and such leave that to the guys you hired. I'm cool if theres a player we are drafting or signing that needs his approval that has some off the field issues and so fourth type thing but to be telling guys who to play, who to draft, sign etc is going overboard unless your coach is some kind of Chip Kelly dude 

Last edited by a moderator:
What kills me is that week in and week out teams have guys that they rely on HEAVILY throughout a game. McLaurin is good. Other teams know he’s good. Yet they keep finding ways  to get him the ball and feed him over and over.

4th and 2 it is excusable to not get the ball to Goedert, Sanders or even get Wentz moving. If you are all in how are you not with your best players? It’s mind boggling to me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe cares a little too much at times and getting too hands on. You can be a great owner but if you aren't a football mind in terms of decision making and such leave that to the guys you hired. I'm cool if theres a player we are drafting or signing that needs his approval that has some off the field issues and so fourth type thing but to be telling guys who to play, who to draft, sign etc is going overboard unless your coach is some kind of Chip Kelly dude 
I don’t believe he’s involved in any of the personnel decisions. The trends are all there. It’s clear who’s drafting, setting the starters and running the team. 

Zach Berman on the Birds with Friends pod had a good point about the dismissal of Fulgham. Very well could be signifcant beef with Doug and Howie where Doug does things deliberately to stick it to Howie, like not playing his 2nd round pick, etc. 

And I've loved Lurie for yrs but knowing a few people who worked with him now I feel safe saying he might be the best owner in the NFL. I had a college friend who worked Eagles Security Usher at games and Lurie spent time to get to even know the lowest of people on the totem poll. He eats with the team, door is always open to anyone and he loves interacting with his employees, and most of all he cares about a huge cause near and dear to me with the Autism Foundation. You hardly ever hear a bad thing by anyone even coaches or employees with bad blood with the team. During the draft in Philly he came out and was high giving us, thanking people for coming and just having a good time. Even leading a fews Eagles chants and a Dallas Sucks. I just think at times he could be a little more reachable to the public but he's more reachable then many of our Philly sports owners have been over the years besides Ed 

Speaking of which, what the hell was the idea with Hurts for tonight? Plays 2 plays, and bench him for the 3rd down for Wentz? Why not have him have a play that is actually different then the dumb option run they choose almost every single time

Zach Berman on the Birds with Friends pod had a good point about the dismissal of Fulgham. Very well could be signifcant beef with Doug and Howie where Doug does things deliberately to stick it to Howie, like not playing his 2nd round pick, etc. 
Could be that. I mean it seems like Doug loves Carson and why would you draft a QB in the 2nd with a franchise QB already. Maybe Doug was asking for a Lineman or something here? 

Speaking of which, what the hell was the idea with Hurts for tonight? Plays 2 plays, and bench him for the 3rd down for Wentz? Why not have him have a play that is actually different then the dumb option run they choose almost every single time
He should be inactive every week. The plays are so dry and vanilla for him that it does nothing. You can run all of his plays with Wentz already. Doug has a hand in this QB controversy by simply having him active  

If anyone thinks he has a chance to be good (I don’t) you can’t risk having him play behind this OL, with these weapons and this coaching. He’ll be ruined. 

Could be that. I mean it seems like Doug loves Carson and why would you draft a QB in the 2nd with a franchise QB already. Maybe Doug was asking for a Lineman or something here? 
Because our GM won a SB and GM of the year and he’s smarter than all you football guys. 

He actually said he wanted to create a QB factory. He said that out loud. 

:wall:  Broncos this weekend, with their QB who had less than a day to prep for the game against the #1 defense in the league, gained 26 yards in their first 3 drives. Eagles had -5 at that point against a team with the 30th ranked pass defense. :sadbanana:  

How the F is that possible!!!!!

:wall:  Broncos this weekend, with their QB who had less than a day to prep for the game against the #1 defense in the league, gained 26 yards in their first 3 drives. Eagles had -5 at that point against a team with the 30th ranked pass defense. :sadbanana:  

No game tape on the Broncos guy?  :sadbanana:

Well this helps:

Eagles final WR snap count
Greg Ward 47
Jalen Reagor 42
Alshon Jeffery 36
Travis Fulgham 36
John Hightower 19
Out of 70 plays

That's what I meant for OC. I believe teams can refuse a coach a promotion interview. Unless the rules have changed 
No. OC is allowed to interview for HC without a block. They can be blocked for other OC jobs though. Position coaches can be blocked too from interviewing for a coordinator job. Lurie did that for DeFlippo

Great job by our DC getting him extra fired up tonight!!!!! 

DK Metcalf after career high 177 yards, he says he had a chip on his shoulder and was fired up because of this pregame:

He says Jim Schwartz said to him that he was with Megatron in Detroit, and that he is not there yet
Plus the fact that apparently he spends 25% of his day upset at those who didn't draft him.

I'm asking because I really don't know and if I do know who they are I probably just forgot about them already. I do know I want nothing to do with another College coach though from the PAC12 or Big12 
Jonathen Smith would be good.

I'm all for a college guy tbh.  At least as coordinator.  I don't even care if Doug is fired or not.  HC is not the problem.  OC is the problem (which is currently Doug)

Between the OL being bad and banged up (today was the 10th different OL combination), the WR’s just being young, inexperienced or just bad in the veterans case and the coaching I don’t know how any QB can over come that. He’s just 1 of 11 on that side of the ball. The pressure is constant and so many times the pocket is so small or collapsing. I was so glad when Riddick mentioned how long it’s taking receivers to get open too. 

100%. While he’s not the full proof QB I thought he was he can definitely function in an offense where he has time, playmakers and a good scheme. 

It was the last question and it was Les Bowen. Andy would have answered that question the way Doug should have. It’s 100% coaching. Out of all the guys on that side of the call Goedert and Sanders are the ones that have been together the longest. No reason at all not to feature them. There’s just no scheme to get guys in advantages spots. 

On top of the 4th and 2 play being outright stupid, we ran a play for Richard F’ing Rodgers. That’s who you’re trying to hit with the game and possible you’re job on the line??

As another reporter asked. Fulgham through 5 games had one of the best stretches in the league. You go into and out of the bye and your message is “we have to get Alshon more involved” 
Huh.

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1333764284317376513

I don't even know what to say. You got to imagine the coaches go over things like this on the film room every week with Carson yet he still does it again the next week. Something is broken in his head this year. 
I think the bolded is exactly it.  Because he's never played like this before probably in his entire career.  I think the confidence right now is shot.  

Guess it's time for the game we all hate to play, what would you do if you were Lurie. Here's everything I would do today. We'll save the offseason for later:

1. Fire Howie/Doug today.
2. Make Staley interim coach (the team talks him up every offseason, prove it).
3. Pick any of the remaining "offensive minds" to be OC and call plays, whichever one believes in using your few playmakers more.
4. Instruct Staley to sit/deactivate Jeffrey, outside of injuries. Fulgham and Reagor are your starters, Ward in the slot because you have nothing else, and more snaps for Hightower and Watkins.
5. Peters to IR. He's done. Starting o-line for remainder of season (if healthy) Mailata-Seumalo-Kelce-Herbig-Driscoll
6. Give Hurts a start after a couple more weeks. Not fair to throw him in immediately after a big shake-up. Need to see what you have since you wasted a 2nd on him.
7. Any other older player you don't need and won't kill the cap, gone. Guys like Jordan Howard. Start poaching from other practice squads, maybe you get lucky again like with Fulgham.

I was defending Pederson (just wanted him to stop calling plays) but last night broke me.

What do you guys have on your short-term wish list?

I don't even know what to say. You got to imagine the coaches go over things like this on the film room every week with Carson yet he still does it again the next week. Something is broken in his head this year. 
Which is a good argument for clearing house. Completely. I don't even know how to evaluate anyone's stats at this point. Reagor might be at 700 and 5 TD's on another team.

Not another "fake OC" from KC.
Agreed.  Feels like Nagy and Doug with him and at 51 he's not the young offensive mind I want

Sanders ran the ball 6 times
He should have had 20 touches in this game

Good news.  We are gonna lose alot more
The only game they have a chance to even be favored in is Dallas and that's a maybe right now

So who's the first coach fired and when?
Doug before the Washington game

It would be logical to fire the OC, but we don’t really know who that is.
They don't have one.  They have a run game coordinator (Duce) and a pass game coordinator (Press Taylor)

Never been the biggest Baldy guy when it comes to him looking over tape.  He's often criticized and doesn't seem to have a full grasp of it.  Someone in the comments touched on it.  Without knowing the read progression it's hard to say but Wentz seemed to get what he wanted with Goedert.  He made a bad throw and Dallas failed to adjust to the ball as well.

He (Baldy) breaks down a play after using Ward and wonders why Carson doesn't throw the ball to him.  He says it himself, they're in zone, and as Ward is running the out you see Griffen's eyes on Wentz ready to undercut the route. 

Wentz has no trust in this offense anymore.  Everything is second guessed and he doesn't throw with confidence at all. 

The defeat in Baldy's voice at the end of that video...
yeah it is telling. i know a lot of people are still trying to defend Wentz, but it seems pretty obvious that his teammates are giving up on him. hard to keep running your routes hard when you know he isn't going to see you or throw the ball your way. 

Why he only connects with TE's, and still can't connect with Sanders on screen plays is beyond frustrating/embarrassing. fact that it is week 12 and these issues still exist is on Wentz and Doug

Why he only connects with TE's, and still can't connect with Sanders on screen plays is beyond frustrating/embarrassing. fact that it is week 12 and these issues still exist is on Wentz and Doug
Every screen is sniffed out and on the one near the goal line Scott decided to not go out for the screen.  When is the last time you saw one of our screens end in something positive?  One of the announcers even alluded to it yesterday after Raegor got 8 yards on one.  He said something like "wow its been a while since we've seen a screen work here and they're usually one of the better teams at running screens"

When defenses know what's coming ("it's taking these guys hours to get open etc") it's hard to make a play.  He'll have open guys but his read or progressions are starting somewhere else.  Im not defending Wentz but ALL of that is coaching

Users who are viewing this thread