What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (10 Viewers)

For this week's game, it feels like a trap game that we lose in years past. Like when we lost to the Ryan Mallet-lead Ravens. We should win against a terrible Seattle D and backup QB, but I think the odds right now are 55-45. 

Hopefully this team is prepared and comes out hot like the last 2 weeks... and actually maintains that pressure. We almost gave the game away last week due to a couple stalled drives where Snell and Ballage screwed up and the defense gave up key plays to the opponents. Hopefully the Steelers can finally put together another game from beginning to end. 

steelers1080 said:
For this week's game, it feels like a trap game that we lose in years past. Like when we lost to the Ryan Mallet-lead Ravens. We should win against a terrible Seattle D and backup QB, but I think the odds right now are 55-45. 
I consider a trap game to be one where a good team has a let down because they think they can just show up and beat a lesser opponent and gets caught with their pants down.

I sure hope this is not the case with the 2021 Steelers.   This is an absolute must-win game and the team knows it.  We are the healthier team and playing at home with what should be in front of a rocking crowd on Sunday night.   If the Steelers lose I think it is more the case that they aren't a good team than any kind of a let down.

The only hope the Steelers have to get to respectability is to win this game and they better know it and bring it.

Not sure when he will play but the Steelers activated OT Zach Banner from IR.  It isn’t clear how this will affect the offensive line lineup but it is good to see the team get healthier.

It sounds like RB Anthony McFarland could return after the bye. Prior to his injury McFarland was expected to play a role in Matt Canada’s offense so it will be interesting to see if that plays out.

Recently it was reported that DL Stephen Tuitt began showing up at Steelers facilities and is participating in meetings and is working out.  It was feared he might not play at all this season so I take this as good news.

I have not heard anything about DL Tyson Alualu who broke his ankle week 2 but there is an outside shot he could return to practice late in the season if the Steelers are in contention 

I know they won, etc etc (or rather TJ Watt decided he wanted to win, and took the rest of the team along for the ride), but sometimes watching this team play football is, to borrow from the Gonzo vernacular, like watching scum freeze on the eyeballs of a jackass while being crushed by an airplane full of leeches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad they won but dang they desperately need to step up the vertical passing game.  It is really frustrating to watch.

And what was up with the rushing defense in the second half?   Tons of missed tackles.

The bye is coming at a great time but does anyone think the Steelers will look much different when they play week 8?

I think that if they lost the game then the chances for even a wild card berth was slim to none.   Probably at 50% already to begin with.   The division is out of reach in my opinion.   Again the biggest issue with this team is consistent aggression.   They clearly let off the pedals and frankly after how awful Geno Smith looked I guess I can see.  

Glad they won but dang they desperately need to step up the vertical passing game.  It is really frustrating to watch.

And what was up with the rushing defense in the second half?   Tons of missed tackles.

The bye is coming at a great time but does anyone think the Steelers will look much different when they play week 8?
If they fire Canada they would look different 

If they fire Canada they would look different 
Maybe.  They kinda look the same as they did the 2nd half of last season with Randy Fichtner.  Maybe it isn't just the play calling.  Maybe they are trying to make up for a lack of a running game and below average pas protection or maybe it is Ben or most likely they are all factors.

Whatever it is they need to figure it out and resolve it.  They have too many weapons on offense to be struggling the way they have been 

Some thoughts,

-Claypool really needs to step up. A man with his size should never play so small

-Norwoood seems to make plays with every chance he gets. Want to see more of him in that secondary

-Heyward is an ageless beast that this team will miss big time when he hangs them up

-Bush looks really bad. Spillane might be a better option at this point

-Ben needs to play better. They won't be squeaking wins out against better teams with this O in it's current state

Claypool just doesn't have the football smarts (at least right now).  Lacks awareness and seems to make the wrong read (of different than Ben more often than not).  He probably has just relied on his physical beastness for his whole life.  But he needs to improve here.  Dionte still lacks in this department as well, but he seems to get better with it week to week.

I think the Offense and play-calling looks better.  You have more play-action and Ben under center than the first few weeks.  A lot of RPOs too, and Ben just more comfortable handing it off now.

Najee made a vet move on that play-action catch.  Blocks and then squirts out for a great catch and run.  

And Kendrick Green with the quick-snap when Seattle jumped offsides for an almost TD free-play.

Freirmuth makes plays and will get more shots now.

Norwood coming up big all over the field.

Even Dan Moore has played OK -- he was NEVER supposed to start at LT this season.

Honestly, Loudermilk looks like he could be a player too.

Not bad Tomlin and Colbert.

Ben can't throw deep

Big question/surprise for me was how much Ray Ray played.  Why was he the slot replacement for Juju instead of moving Claypool inside and putting Washington out there on 3WR sets?

Who is number 93 on defense? He was getting absolutely obliterated in the run game - it was glaring when watching the game.

Pity Party Over! (for now)

Deciding to go full optimist because it's more fun while it lasts. This team currently has a horrendous offense and is decimated by injury, but they can still turn it around! Many offenses don't click immediately when implementing a new scheme. 

The O-line is going to get Banner back and replace Chuks at RT (who has been awful). The young players at LT/LG/C will continue to improve and by mid-season will be much better, perhaps allowing Ben more than 2 seconds to pass the ball before getting hit. Ben will suddenly realize that the middle of the field does still exist, and passes of 10+ yards will start to flow to Diontae, Juju, and the TEs. Najee and Pat Frieirmuth look like the real deal and will continue to make this offense better and better as the season goes along. Their limited touches now, at the beginning of the season (last game excluded) will allow them to bypass the rookie wall. Also, the offense starts to really roll after the Bye with more time to implement Canada's plan, and allow him to update scheme based on what's working and what's not. 

The defense is going to get healthy and return to kick-### form. Alualu is lost for the year, but Tuitt, Watt, Highsmith, Bush, Haden will all get fully healthy and restart our defensive domination of teams. Bush is going to get better and better the further removed from his ACL he gets, so by the end of the season he has several picks and forced fumbles, along with a significant amount of tackles. Watt doesn't lead the league in sacks like many hoped, but he is top 5 even with missed games. Overall the Defense allows an average of 13 pts per game over the final 8 weeks and we're able to pull off some unexpected wins. 

The season ends with the Steelers at 10-7 but we're able to sneak into the final wildcard spot where we take down the Bills AGAIN in Buffalo to move on. 

The Steelers get absolutely destroyed this Sunday by the Packers, but then the players hold a secret team meeting and rally to go on a winning streak to win the next 5 games in a row. They then split the last 8 games to end the season 10-7, sweeping the Ravens to everyone's delight. 
I hope you put money on this prediction. Insane. 

I hope you put money on this prediction. Insane. 
Also, even with the loss this week, it looks like Buffalo is a favorite to get the bye in the AFC (them or Ravens right now), so beating them in Buffalo would be required to move on. 

With the injuries to Hunt, Baker, and elsewhere on the Browns, wins against the Browns, Bears, and Lions don't seem impossible! I do think the Lions are better than their record, they fight so hard for Dan Campbell. That game won't be a gimme unless bad Goff shows up. It would be nice if the Raven's luck took a dip. They just outclassed the Chargers, but before that they were getting really lucky in a lot of games to squeak out wins. 

The Ravens did a good job winning games that perhaps they shouldn’t have which is the mark of a good team.

I’m not sure how good the Ravens really are but I think it is safe to say the Steelers offense needs get significantly better and the defense has to start playing 60 minutes for us to be able to beat the Ravens (or Browns or Bengals for that matter)

I’m not sure how good the Ravens really are but I think it is safe to say the Steelers offense needs get significantly better and the defense has to start playing 60 minutes for us to be able to beat the Ravens (or Browns or Bengals for that matter)
No, not true. We just need other teams to come down to our level, like the Seahawks!

Browns - Baker and Chubb and Hunt out will even the odds. Ravens - it just feels like Lamar is pressing his luck with his rushing, but maybe not, maybe he's the extreme outlier when it comes to rushing QBs. So, yeah, if Lamar gets hurt we have a very good chance to beat the Ravens...

So a pretty pivotal game for both teams this week.  It sounds like Chubb could be back but Mayfield and Landry are still up in the air.   

I love Mike Tomlin.

Tomlin shut down speculation that he could be in the mix to fill college coaching vacancies at USC or LSU at the end of his weekly news conference Tuesday. "Hey, guys, I don't have time for that speculation," Tomlin said. "I mean, that's a joke to me. I got one of the best jobs in all of professional sport. Why would I have any interest in coaching college football?

"That will be the last time I address it. Not only today but moving forward. Never say never, but never. OK? Anybody else got any questions about any college jobs. There's not a booster with a big enough blank check."

I gotta say if Watson gets moved to Miami in the next few days I’d be intrigued if the Steelers floated their second rounder to Miami for Tua if a second could get the deal done. 

I gotta say if Watson gets moved to Miami in the next few days I’d be intrigued if the Steelers floated their second rounder to Miami for Tua if a second could get the deal done. 
It sounds like Tua to Houston would be a lock in that deal. I also don't remotely believe Miami is dumb enough to actually make the deal. I think this is all driven by Houston trying to make it look like there is a trade market.

It sounds like Tua to Houston would be a lock in that deal. I also don't remotely believe Miami is dumb enough to actually make the deal. I think this is all driven by Houston trying to make it look like there is a trade market.
Grier is trying to save his job. I could see a trade occurring soon. 

Is Watson allowed to play right now?
Apparently…

Speaking Tuesday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league does not have the necessary information to put Texans QB Deshaun Watson on the commissioner's exempt list.

That confirms Watson is eligible to play if he were to be traded, as has been the rumor around the league over the past week (and past few months, to be frank). The league appears to want no part of the Watson investigation, and it's one of the strangest situations in recent memory with Goodell and the NFL refusing to take action. There is no end in sight for this saga.

We're going to win this Sunday... if we can actually play run defense instead of nickel and dime 100% of the time. 

The key, like every single week, will be our D playing well and limiting the Browns run game and our Offense not turning the ball over. 

Wouldn't mind another walk-off win via Watt sacking Baker/Case. But also wouldn't mind a stress-less game where we dominate from the get go. The Browns are contenders, beating them means more than beating the Broncos or Seattle with Geno starting. 

We're going to win this Sunday... if we can actually play run defense instead of nickel and dime 100% of the time. 

The key, like every single week, will be our D playing well and limiting the Browns run game and our Offense not turning the ball over. 

Wouldn't mind another walk-off win via Watt sacking Baker/Case. But also wouldn't mind a stress-less game where we dominate from the get go. The Browns are contenders, beating them means more than beating the Broncos or Seattle with Geno starting. 
Love the confidence but I think this is going to be a struggle.  I think we will be okay on defense but I see the Browns defense playing up to stop the run and short passing game and getting us in 3rd and long. 

This will be a problem since we typically throw short of the marker or worse the o-line is overwhelmed and Ben turns the ball over.

it would help tremendously if they could complete a few medium to long passes early to keep the Browns honest.

• Pittsburgh defense ranked 5th in the league 
  • Browns defense ranked 4th in the league
Pretty even but Jadeveon Clowney missed practice with 3 different issues so...

• Pittsburgh pass offense ranked 26th
  • Browns 24th
Even but Baker is unlikely to play and Keenum has no deep ball whatsoever.  

• Pittsburgh total offense ranked 28th
  • Browns 7
This is the reason for that huge difference.

• Pittsburgh run offense 31st
  • Browns run offense 1st
Last week the Broncos were on a 3-game skid traveling on a short week so they had little time to put together a defensive game plan.  They knew both of the Browns top RBs were OUT and both of the Browns starting  WRs were going to be playing for the first time together in the same game so they understandably emphasized stopping the pass.  

No one was expecting D'Ernest Johson's huge game but it was helped by Denver starting out in a two-high cover safety look which opened up big run lanes.  Pittsburgh has had lots and lots and lots of time to prepare and won't worry about Case Keenum's noodle arm.  They will give the Browns 6-man fronts like the Cardinals did and has been about the only thing that has  been effective stopping the Browns top ranked rushing attack.  

I think the 'best way' for the Steelers to attack the Browns is to keep taking deep shots because Ben can actually make deep throws and Keenum can't.  No way he can do anything other than meticulously move down the field slowly.  If Pittsburgh hits one deep scoring pass their chances of winning go up significantly IMHO since Keenum has no answer.

IF Pittsburgh plays the short quick game it plays right into Cleveland's hands.  

We just need some intermediate throws down the middle of the field... No problem, haven't done it in 2 seasons, but no problem. 

The Steelers Def was in pass packages the whole second half against Seattle last week since Seattle was down 14, and thus we could not stop the run at all. The defense never adjusted or changed even after it was clear that their run game was gashing us. That's not great coaching from Tomlin/Butler. To any arm chair coach it appears obvious that the Steelers should just focus on stopping the run against the Browns and challenge them to throw, especially if Jarvis is out and Baker is in (because then you know OBJ isn't going to do anything). 

The game plan should be: 

• Don't Fk around on special teams and just kick touchbacks. (we don't need to risk a return TD or just decent return)
  • Try to get running game and play action pass going.
  • Work the middle of the field with intermediate routes to Diontae and Muuuuuth. 
  • Focus on stopping the Browns' running game and dare them to pass. 

and play action pass going.

I haven't seen recent stats on this so not sure if it has changed.  Going from memory, the Steelers were 32nd in the league last year in running play action (and by a large margin).  This year (maybe after week 4 or so is when I saw the stats) they shot all the way up to 31st in the league :lol:  

Not sure why the don't use this more.  I get the argument that the play action is less effective if they can't run the ball, but it still can/should be used to put some doubt in the defenses mind IMO.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Rumors that Melvin Ingram wants out due to lack of snaps?  This seems odd -- he had to know that he was third OLB behind Highsmith.  
If he wrapped up WR instead of throwing a shoulder at them (Boyd) maybe he would play more.  OTOH - this guy should just be rushing the passer when on the field.

If he wrapped up WR instead of throwing a shoulder at them (Boyd) maybe he would play more.  OTOH - this guy should just be rushing the passer when on the field.

He should be rotating more.  Not sure why his snap count was so low in the last game, after using all 3 OLBs more the previous week.  They should be able to wreak some havok together out there.

Massive win today that keeps us in the race.  It wasn’t pretty by any means but I thought the defense did great shutting down the run especially.

The offensive line had their best game of the year and gives me hope they can have a legit running game.  Najee was great and Ben did a nice job of moving the ball. 

I hated the fake FG with a 4th and 9 and it blew up In our face. Gotta take the 3 going up 6-3 at the half and knowing you’re getting the ball to start the second half.

On a related note it boggles my mind there is not another player in the roster that can kick s short FG or PAT

But hey we won the game and I am thrilled

Was interesting that Banner didn’t dress.  

4 rookies starting on O and they are all great to solid. 

Good rivalry game but for that fake field goal. 

I'm throwing this out there despite the fact that it'll never happen... But how much better do the steelers get if they trade for Watson?  Fringe playoff team to legit superbowl contenders?

wgoldsph said:
I'm throwing this out there despite the fact that it'll never happen... But how much better do the steelers get if they trade for Watson?  Fringe playoff team to legit superbowl contenders?

You are right, it won't happen.   Mainly because at the moment they don't have the cap space.  But even if they did figure out a way to pull it off I'm guessing it would take at least 4 weeks to get into shape, shake off rust and learn a new system.

Godsbrother said:
Massive win today that keeps us in the race.  It wasn’t pretty by any means but I thought the defense did great shutting down the run especially.

Ugly win, but several positives:

+ Offensive Line is showing signs of getting better.

+ Friermuth is really contributing well. He should continue to start at TE, even with Ebron healthy.

+ Solid effort/results from the Defense (aided mostly by dropped passes from the Browns)

Main Negative: We really need to see some deep passes by Ben to keep the defense honest, even if the passes are errant.  The short passes are too well-defended.  They need to spread the field a litte to open up more running/passing lanes. I was hoping a week off would have rested Ben and his ailments, but he never testest the downfield threat.

Ugly win, but several positives:

+ Offensive Line is showing signs of getting better.

+ Friermuth is really contributing well. He should continue to start at TE, even with Ebron healthy.

+ Solid effort/results from the Defense (aided mostly by dropped passes from the Browns)

Main Negative: We really need to see some deep passes by Ben to keep the defense honest, even if the passes are errant.  The short passes are too well-defended.  They need to spread the field a litte to open up more running/passing lanes. I was hoping a week off would have rested Ben and his ailments, but he never testest the downfield threat.
Yes this has been a problem for a while now.   I don't believe it is a question of arm strength, he just hasn't been able to establish chemistry with any receiver on deep passes (which isn't surprising if you rarely attempt it).

Users who are viewing this thread