What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (2 Viewers)

LT averaged 3.6 YPC his rookie year (4.5 and 5.3 the next two, respectively) but was a great fantasy contributor from the get-go with 1,236 rushing yards, 10 td's and 59 receptions for 367 yards. Guessing we may see similar high volume/low efficiency from Harris.

Well I would hope so! Not sure what the other options are .
I'd hope they'd aim higher than Turner. He was the worst Guard in the AFC last year, and has been on a steady decline for years. He was also the worst run blocker in the NFL last season. 

DeCastro was clearly on the decline, but was still a decent starter last year, Turner would be a gigantic downgrade, and that fact that he's even being considered, further underscores how awful the Najee Harris pick was. You could put Derrick Henry behind this line right now, and he'd probably be look like a JAG.

LT averaged 3.6 YPC his rookie year (4.5 and 5.3 the next two, respectively) but was a great fantasy contributor from the get-go with 1,236 rushing yards, 10 td's and 59 receptions for 367 yards. Guessing we may see similar high volume/low efficiency from Harris.
Well if Tomlinson can do it, then anyone can.

In all seriousness, I can't see Harris getting that kind of workload(even with an extra game) this offense is going to continue being pass first, because the WR's(unlike that Chargers team, beyond Curtis Conway) can all get open. 

There was a guard you wanted in the first?  Come on.
I would have taken Landon Dickerson over Harris. Plenty of OT's they could have taken too. 

I'd hope they'd aim higher than Turner. He was the worst Guard in the AFC last year, and has been on a steady decline for years. He was also the worst run blocker in the NFL last season. 

DeCastro was clearly on the decline, but was still a decent starter last year, Turner would be a gigantic downgrade, and that fact that he's even being considered, further underscores how awful the Najee Harris pick was. You could put Derrick Henry behind this line right now, and he'd probably be look like a JAG.
Turner has been good until last year. He was hurt and maybe not a fit the Chargers. There aren't many options 

Released DeCastro!?!?!?!?!??!
Apparently he has an ankle injury that he’s been battling & was considering retiring. Cutting him saved them $8m or so. 

They weren’t expecting to make the move, but it’s one of those “it is what it is” situations. 

Less than ideal for every PIT skill player. 

Leeroy Jenkins said:
I mean, they have had several free agent visits in recent weeks at a few positions.  Maybe Turner, safety, slot-cb, and/or OLB are forthcoming?
I think Turner signs pretty cheap. Poole and Okung maybe could be added

I love DeCastro but he was awful last season and it sounds like he was facing more surgeries and was likely going to miss a significant amount, if not the whole season.   I'm guessing the Steelers were taken by surprise by this development.

I don't know if Turner is the answer but there really wasn't a whole lot of options out there.   He had injury issues last year but up until that point he was a pretty good player.   Let's hope he works out.

As far as the Steelers having the worst o-line time will tell although it is pretty safe to say they were among the worst group last year.  Perhaps this turnover is a blessing in disguise.

Gosh, I thought the guy signed from Chicago Rashaad Coward was an 'ok' signing and may have given some glimmer of hope but he's listed 3rd on the depth chart so...

Taking a look at the group the one thing that clearly stands out is size/weight.

They 'want' to go primitive smash mouth from the looks of things.  Word is/was they wanted to run a lot more PA but Ben hated running play-action.  Maybe he'll be more receptive.

So it appears that Decastro needs a third ankle surgury and that if he isn't happy with the results, that he will just retire.  So it sounds like he and the Steelers came to an agreement on releaseing him, so that the team wasn't held hostage.  Class act.

Not sure what Turner's deal is, but hopefully this allows for Poole or Hooker, one of the OLBs, and a third TE?

So it appears that Decastro needs a third ankle surgury and that if he isn't happy with the results, that he will just retire.  So it sounds like he and the Steelers came to an agreement on releaseing him, so that the team wasn't held hostage.  Class act.

Not sure what Turner's deal is, but hopefully this allows for Poole or Hooker, one of the OLBs, and a third TE?
Did Nelson sign elsewhere?  I think the D will miss him the most so if he's still hasn't signed he 'may' come back at a discount.  I thought he would have been kept over Haden, he outplayed him IMHO but I guess they like Joe more to help the youngsters to get up to speed.

Did Nelson sign elsewhere?  I think the D will miss him the most so if he's still hasn't signed he 'may' come back at a discount.  I thought he would have been kept over Haden, he outplayed him IMHO but I guess they like Joe more to help the youngsters to get up to speed.
He has not.  That could be an option depending on his market.  

The Najee apologists still coyly defending an awful draft pick. “No one wanted that OL in the first”. Well that’s an awful statement because the Steelers should have used whatever early draft capital they had on OL. Now we’re stuck with this: https://twitter.com/clevta/status/1408388169972785152?s=21

I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong but don’t come crying on this board if Najee has a sub 3.5 YPC and Friermuth has a sub 30% snap share come week 5 or 6. 

The only thing I'm puzzled on with Decastro was why cut him now when we did not need the cap space right now instead of signing Turner and allowing Decastro a little more time to see if the ankle heals? Worse case you end up with both of them and that does not seem so bad to me.

I just to this crappy ### feeling Decastro is going to feel better later and he's going to join his buddy Villaneuva in Baltimore or some other place where he's a huge asset.

Now perhaps they needed to free up money sooner then later to get an extension down with Watt or have plans for another signing and if so I get it. But right now we could have signed Turner and kept Decastro awhile longer.

It sounds like DeCastro wasn’t thrilled with the way the Steelers released him.  Apparently the designation of “non-football related injury” means the DeCastro won’t get a significant amount of what he was owed by the team.

It is tough for us to know what the real story is but it is a sad way to see him go out.

I just to this crappy ### feeling Decastro is going to feel better later and he's going to join his buddy Villaneuva in Baltimore
I hear what you’re saying but based on last season’s performances, this would be a blessing 

Also according to DeCastro his injury will likely require surgery. Since he sill hasn’t gone under the knife it is reasonable to assume he was going to miss camp and a possibly a significant amount of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about making a trip to Green Bay for the October 3rd game. I'd be heading out by myself, which is fine, but I wanted to check in here and see if anyone knew of a group/club/etc. that might block off a section just for Steeler fans. Like you buy into a package and everyone meets up at the stadium or something.

McBokonon said:
I'm thinking about making a trip to Green Bay for the October 3rd game. I'd be heading out by myself, which is fine, but I wanted to check in here and see if anyone knew of a group/club/etc. that might block off a section just for Steeler fans. Like you buy into a package and everyone meets up at the stadium or something.
There are travel agents in the Pittsburgh area that do this.  I have a buddy that is doing this for the LA Chargers game so I could get the name of the travel agent he is using.  The Green Bay game will likely be the first to fill up.

There are travel agents in the Pittsburgh area that do this.  I have a buddy that is doing this for the LA Chargers game so I could get the name of the travel agent he is using.  The Green Bay game will likely be the first to fill up.
Thanks. Once I started looking into it I panicked and booked everything because flights and rooms were already getting limited. I’d still be interested in learning of Steelers fan activities while I’m there, but I imagine I’ll find out about that stuff closer to game week.

Pretty excited. Never been to Lambeau or even Green Bay for that matter.

Reading some rumors that the coaching staff is not happy with Dotson and that he showed up at mini-camp out of shape -- which is what prompted the Trai Turner visit (not anything with DeCastro).

Any thoughts on how targets will split up between Diontae, Claypool and Juju?  You have to think they'll throw a bit less than last year (while still throwing much more than average).  Last year it looked like this (leaving out a few players with very few targets) - 

Juju: 128 targets

Chase: 109 targets 

Dionate: 144 targets

Ebron: 91 targets

Washington: 56 targets

Conner/Snell: 57 targets

McCloud: 22 targets

McDonald: 20 targets

Does the distribution more or less stay the same or do you think someone gets a big bump/takes a big dip?

Any thoughts on how targets will split up between Diontae, Claypool and Juju?  You have to think they'll throw a bit less than last year (while still throwing much more than average).  Last year it looked like this (leaving out a few players with very few targets) - 

Juju: 128 targets

Chase: 109 targets 

Dionate: 144 targets

Ebron: 91 targets

Washington: 56 targets

Conner/Snell: 57 targets

McCloud: 22 targets

McDonald: 20 targets

Does the distribution more or less stay the same or do you think someone gets a big bump/takes a big dip?
It seems a lot of folks think that they will shift back to more running. I get that they drafted an RB in the first round and that he is more talented than the RBs they have had the past few years, but FBG has their OL ranked dead last. It seems to me that their entire offense. which was not so good  last year could be even less effective. 

I think that the top three WRs, D. Johnson, JuJu and Claypool all get similar targets to a year ago. I would estimate it at Johnson 140, JuJu 130 and Claypool at 110 which would be a slight per game decrease, but higher total due to the extra game. If they have a blocking tight end, they might decrease Ebron's snaps and targets. I do not think that Najee Harris will see quite as many targets as a rookie. I suspect both their rushing attempts and passing attempts decrease on a per game basis.

Haskins might be done.  The people he associates with (and married) seem to be a big part of what his problems have been, and this certainly does not bode well for him "changing" anything at all.

Haskins might be done.  The people he associates with (and married) seem to be a big part of what his problems have been, and this certainly does not bode well for him "changing" anything at all.
i agree he might not fulfill his potential.  i've been hopeful but never optimistic about him changing what sounds like a personality issue.  if that is his issue, even with appropriate therapy (not likely i'd guess), that's not a quick fix.

i've read a lot blaming his associates, and sure that may be a factor, but of course this is on him not anyone else.

and i actually think if anything, it may reflect well on him and that she knocked a tooth out and apparently he didn't lay a hand on her.

bullish on Pitt this season. check the schedule.they could get out to a roaring hot lead,   I'm saying 10-7 on the season, most losses come after Thanksgiving when the schedule turns brutal.

don't buy the gloom n doom. they'll be just fine.

bullish on Pitt this season. check the schedule.they could get out to a roaring hot lead,   I'm saying 10-7 on the season, most losses come after Thanksgiving when the schedule turns brutal.

don't buy the gloom n doom. they'll be just fine.
The Steelers better get off to a roaring lead because they have a brutal finish: Titans, Chiefs, Brown, Ravens

Users who are viewing this thread