Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Pittsburgh Steelers - 9/24: Ben playing, Dionte OUT, Watt is GTD


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

Has anyone seen how big Ingram's contract is? I am hoping for another couple of pickups from the DeCastro savings. 

 

1year for $4MM.  He may very well start.  Steelers should still have $8-$9MM left in cap space.

Apparently Kendrick Greene has not signed yet though, so some of that space will eventually go to him.  Hopefully some time this week if he wants a shot at starting.

Edited by Leeroy Jenkins
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Hearing reports the Steelers have signed former Chargers edge rusher Melvin Ingram to a 1 year deal.  Good player at one time, hopefully he has something left in the tank.

Good signing.  Always liked Ingram.  

Thought they 'might' wanna re-sign Nelson but heard that he asked for his release so that wasn't going to happen.

Front 7 boosted.  Lets see if they address the secondary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

 

1year for $4MM.  He may very well start.  Steelers should still have $8-$9MM left in cap space.

Apparently Kendrick Greene has not signed yet though, so some of that space will eventually go to him.  Hopefully some time this week if he wants a shot at starting.

 

from what I have read it should be more like $9.5 - $9.9MM right now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Steelers signed OL Chaz Green to a one-year contract. 

Pittsburgh also made the signing of Melvin Ingram official. In a pair of corresponding moves, they released offensive tackle Jarron Jones and linebacker Calvin Bundage. Green started one game for the Colts last year after failing to appear in a single game in 2019. He'll serve as a depth option for the Steelers if he can make the final roster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

Kendrick Green signed.

Yep.  So no hold outs.  No drama. 

I just saw that his Twitter handle is The_Fridge53.  Gotta love it.

I am excited to see how the season plays out.  Lots of weapons coming back.  Lots of young guys being given a chance.  Some vets signing for a super bowl run.  

Just crazy to me that I think it is entirely realistic that the Steelers could win the Super Bowl or finish 4th in the AFC North.  Neither would surprise me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Just crazy to me that I think it is entirely realistic that the Steelers could win the Super Bowl or finish 4th in the AFC North.  Neither would surprise me.  

Half of your statement is completely crazy to me.  They are like +3500 to win the Superbowl this season, but I think that's purely based on the size of their fan base and popularity.  It should be +10000 or worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

Half of your statement is completely crazy to me.  They are like +3500 to win the Superbowl this season, but I think that's purely based on the size of their fan base and popularity.  It should be +10000 or worse.

They started 11-0 last season.  Their late season collapse had a lot to do with fatigue and wear/tear due to 3 games in a short time because of Covid, along with Ben's arm getting tired coming off of surgery.  Things go the right way with the O-line and playcalling, they could contend.  I am not sold that losing Nelson, Hilton, and Dupree move the defense out of the top-10, especially if the offense is able to control the ball better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

They started 11-0 last season.  Their late season collapse had a lot to do with fatigue and wear/tear due to 3 games in a short time because of Covid, along with Ben's arm getting tired coming off of surgery.  Things go the right way with the O-line and playcalling, they could contend.  I am not sold that losing Nelson, Hilton, and Dupree move the defense out of the top-10, especially if the offense is able to control the ball better.

That's absolutely one way that you could look at both last season and their upcoming prospects.  Yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

What a weird off-season. What’s that save on the cap?

Negligible, he was resigned on a cheap contract ~$1 mil. Would have been good, cheap depth, this is unfortunate (if he was still capable). I wish him the best though since he decided he's done. 

Bush, Spillane, Buddy Johnson, Ulysses Gilbert, with lots of camp depth signed. I wouldn't be surprised if we add someone after training camp if no one emerges as solid depth. I'd guess our current starters are Bush and Spillane, with the hope that Buddy develops quickly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

Negligible, he was resigned on a cheap contract ~$1 mil. Would have been good, cheap depth, this is unfortunate (if he was still capable). I wish him the best though since he decided he's done. 

Bush, Spillane, Buddy Johnson, Ulysses Gilbert, with lots of camp depth signed. I wouldn't be surprised if we add someone after training camp if no one emerges as solid depth. I'd guess our current starters are Bush and Spillane, with the hope that Buddy develops quickly. 

Assume Avery Williamson on speed dial?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2021 at 10:29 AM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Their late season collapse had a lot to do with fatigue and wear/tear due to 3 games in a short time because of Covid, along with Ben's arm getting tired coming off of surgery.

Losing Bush and Dupree to knee injuries really hurt as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Hmmn.  Kinda reminds me of someone not sure who it could be.  

Look at the chance of injury percent on the 39 yr old 17 yr vet compared to this guy with less than 1/3 of the injury risk.

This is likely Ben's final season. 

The issue here is Watson's cap hit which goes from $15 million this year to $40 million in 2022, $42 million in 2023 before it gets in the $30+ million range in 2024 & 2025.  

That is a lot of money for a fellow that comes with massive bagage of 22 sexual assault allegations.   

Just because the Steelers weathered the storm with the 2 allegations against Ben a dozen years ago doesn't mean they want willingly to re-enter the situation today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I know we aren't supposed to generally care about this game against Cowboys but man this Sloman kicker is just garbage.  Hopefully Boswell isn't hurt that he isn't playing this game.  

Edited by hammerva
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Anything on Claypool?

Snell may be gone. 
 

Some udfa guys looking good out there. Norwood and Killebrew showed up as backup safeties. 

After the game he said he was fine. To me, looked like he fell on the ball.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

After the game he said he was fine. To me, looked like he fell on the ball.

Yes I thought so too.  

I though Harris and Ballage looked pretty good in limited action.

I was disappointed in a couple of the drops last night.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, JoeSteeler said:

Can they get a 4th for him?

 

Heck no, I think they're lucky if they get better than a 7th, maybe a 6th.

 But as Tomlin has said "we are looking for volunteers, not hostages".   I think they would take anything they can get and if not he could be gone at some point.  Cutting him would give back a little more than $1 million I think

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2021 at 9:52 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

Gosh, I thought the guy signed from Chicago Rashaad Coward was an 'ok' signing and may have given some glimmer of hope but he's listed 3rd on the depth chart so...

Brooke Pryor@bepryor

Rashaad Coward has taken all of the first team reps at left guard. Asked about Kevin Dotson playing with the twos instead of ones, Mike Tomlin was pretty firm.

"He has done nothing to earn first-team reps. What are we talking about? He's a second year guy who hasn't worked."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

Anyone else see anything about TJ Watt staging a "Hold-In" where he's at camp but not participating until his contract situation gets settled? Sorry if this is old news/previously discussed or not valid. Just something I heard.

Yes I read this too.  I don't blame him and hopefully he and the Steelers are working out a long term contract.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Brooke Pryor@bepryor

Rashaad Coward has taken all of the first team reps at left guard. Asked about Kevin Dotson playing with the twos instead of ones, Mike Tomlin was pretty firm.

"He has done nothing to earn first-team reps. What are we talking about? He's a second year guy who hasn't worked."

ouch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

Anyone else see anything about TJ Watt staging a "Hold-In" where he's at camp but not participating until his contract situation gets settled? Sorry if this is old news/previously discussed or not valid. Just something I heard.


that is definitely happening. butler commented on it.

https://triblive.com/sports/t-j-watts-absence-from-team-drills-tied-to-contract-steelers-defensive-coach-says/

 

Steelers linebacker T.J. Watt’s decision to sit out team drills is tied to his current contract situation, defensive coordinator Keith Butler confirmed Saturday, after Watt’s teammates again worked out without the reigning NFL sack leader.

Asked when Watt might ramp up activity, Butler said: “That’s none of my business. I hope he signs a contract, and let’s get it done. When he gets that done, we’ll talk about that.”

Watt is entering the final year of his contract, and team president Art Rooney II recently said he’d like to sign Watt to an extension. Watt would become a free agent in 2022 — or potentially receive the franchise tag — if the two sides do not reach an agreement before the season opener Sept. 12.

The Steelers don’t negotiate contracts once a season starts.

Coach Mike Tomlin said he won’t speculate about when Watt might fully participate in practice.

“I’m sure that’s going to naturally run its course,” Tomlin said. “I know he’s working hard with our trainers. So we’ll see where it all leads us.”

Watt was present on the Heinz Field turf Saturday but didn’t take part in team drills.

“I don’t blame him for that because you don’t want to get hurt when you’re trying to get your contract done,” Butler said. “Then you kind of lose some flexibility in terms of what kind of (deal) you can sign. I don’t blame him for that. I hope they get it done.”

Butler noted that during his NFL playing days, he was a players’ association representative.

“I’ve always been for the players,” he added. “I struck twice for the players. … I want them to make as much money as they can in this league. I think they deserve it.”

Watt, who’ll turn 27 in October, has 49½ career sacks in four seasons with the Steelers. He led the NFL last season with 15 sacks, earned his second All-Pro honor and finished second in voting for AP Defensive Player of the Year.

Butler said he didn’t believe Watt’s absence was a distraction for the defense.

“I don’t think it is. Not at all,” Butler said. “Everybody knows TJ. Everybody knows he’s a good teammate. He wants to be out there. He really wants to be out there but some things you’ve got to just do.

“This is a business. We all love to think it’s a game but when it’s all said and done, it’s a business.”

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

 

Don't think he is making the team.


Just getting ready to post the same thing 

If Harris gets injured, I couldn’t see Snail,  McFarladnd, or Ballage having any value except in the deepest of leagues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

 

Don't think he is making the team.

 

That's good news. Hopefully, he finds himself on a Team that knows how to use his multifaceted skill set. Cowher would have made a star out of him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Mark Gilbert is a good sleeper pick to make the team.  I like him and Shakur Brown over Layne and Maulet.  Brooks should have the slot-cb position locked up.  If he got hurt, they would slide Sutton over and start Pierre I think.

Killebrew makes the team.  I think Norwood does as well, but I could see him potentially on the practice squad.  Back up safety is weakest position now though.  Brooks and Maulet (if kept) could play there as well though.

It looks like Marsh is going to make the team, but I hope Roche does as well -- not sure if he would clear to practice squad.

Gilbert III needs to do better.  I am not loving Spillane and depth inside is still an issue with Vince Williams retiring.  I am kind of surprised Avery Williamson didn't get brought back.

Ballage is making the team, barring injury.  Snell might be done -- not sure they can carry an extra RB this year.  McFarland makes the team, and Edmonds on the practice squad again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nittanylion said:

 

That's good news. Hopefully, he finds himself on a Team that knows how to use his multifaceted skill set. Cowher would have made a star out of him.

Just like Amos Zereoue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Godsbrother changed the title to 2021 Pittsburgh Steelers - 9/24: Ben playing, Dionte OUT, Watt is GTD

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...