What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (4 Viewers)

Ben got to skip having to rehab throw tennis balls and moved right to a football. That saved him a few weeks and speaks to the healing process going well and strength being there. 

I know what has been said but hopefully they can bring in a low(er) cost vet QB. I haven't written off MR but don't think he is ready to be the FT backup.

Also please don't sign Bud to a huge contact.

I know what has been said but hopefully they can bring in a low(er) cost vet QB. I haven't written off MR but don't think he is ready to be the FT backup.

Also please don't sign Bud to a huge contact.
I think they will throw the franchise flag on Dupree unless he signs a team-friendly long term deal.  I would prefer to ink Watt to a long term deal now rather than wait until next year though.

I am good with brining in a vet QB but the Steelers likely won't have the cap space to sign anyone much better than Rudolph.

We can argue about a number of things with Tomlin but we can definitely agree that he was 1000% right that Landry Jones was complete garbage.  Seriously it is almost embarassing

Damnit. Steelers to tag Dupree. I hope it's to trade him, but I doubt it. I think we just saw his best season and now we're going to pay $14 mil a year to see the same or worse. He got sacks because QBs ran away from Watt, we could pay someone a lot less to do the same. Hope I'm proved wrong, but we'll see. 

If we don't trade Dupree, I hope we don't manage to sign him long term and still draft a pass rusher to groom. 

Damnit. Steelers to tag Dupree. I hope it's to trade him, but I doubt it. I think we just saw his best season and now we're going to pay $14 mil a year to see the same or worse. He got sacks because QBs ran away from Watt, we could pay someone a lot less to do the same. Hope I'm proved wrong, but we'll see. 

If we don't trade Dupree, I hope we don't manage to sign him long term and still draft a pass rusher to groom. 
You may be right but Dupree also had 4 forced fumbles.  You have to give the guy his due:  he had a pretty good season.  Of course whether or not he can keep it up is another question.  

I am sure the Steelers will try to negotiate a cap-friendly long term deal with Dupree but if not they can rescind the tag if they find a cheaper alternative in free agency.  Or they can just keep Dupree around one season (at a hefty price) and let him walk next year.

Godsbrother said:
You may be right but Dupree also had 4 forced fumbles.  You have to give the guy his due:  he had a pretty good season.  Of course whether or not he can keep it up is another question.  

I am sure the Steelers will try to negotiate a cap-friendly long term deal with Dupree but if not they can rescind the tag if they find a cheaper alternative in free agency.  Or they can just keep Dupree around one season (at a hefty price) and let him walk next year.
True, and he definitely had his best season in 2019, and was very solid against the run. I just see him as a middle tier OLB, maybe worth $8 million per year, still a top 10 contract right now, but almost half what he's projected to make. That avg cost for OLBs will rise since there are some FAs this year, but overall, that's what I'd be willing to pay. Especially because we'll probably have to pay TJ Watt $15-18 million per year soon. 

True, and he definitely had his best season in 2019, and was very solid against the run. I just see him as a middle tier OLB, maybe worth $8 million per year, still a top 10 contract right now, but almost half what he's projected to make. That avg cost for OLBs will rise since there are some FAs this year, but overall, that's what I'd be willing to pay. Especially because we'll probably have to pay TJ Watt $15-18 million per year soon. 
I would rather the Steelers lock up Watt long-term right now.  If  they can do that and keep Dupree (or Hargrave) that's fine but thet must ensure they will be able to retain Watt and getting a deal now may be the cost-effective way of doing that.

hammerva said:
We can argue about a number of things with Tomlin but we can definitely agree that he was 1000% right that Landry Jones was complete garbage.  Seriously it is almost embarassing
The QB that will not be named!

Would much rather tag Dupree for one-year and hope to see someone else develop. Than doing a long-term deal.
100% agreement and said so earlier. Don't trust him on a long term deal, don't think we can expect with our limited draft capital to get a replacement and I think team is in win now mode but the window is small.

I would rather the Steelers lock up Watt long-term right now.  If  they can do that and keep Dupree (or Hargrave) that's fine but thet must ensure they will be able to retain Watt and getting a deal now may be the cost-effective way of doing that.
I agree.  According to several reports the 2021 salary cap will have a one time jump of 25 to 35 plus Million due to several factors  - new tv contracts,  a 17th game,  two more playoff teams and players percent of revenues increasing from 47% to 48.5%.    IMO teams will have a difficult time determining what  a top tier FA should be signed for in  2021.

Are there any prospects that you guys have identified that you really would love to see as Steelers? I know we have Conner, but he seems to keep getting injured at key times and I'd love to get another talented RB to add to the mix. My favorite that should be there in round 2 or maybe 3 if we're lucky, is Clyde Edwards-Helaire. It's probably just because I got to see him play so much this year, and the team he was on was stacked, but his quickness, vision, and spin move made me want him to be a Steeler. There's one spin move he did at the goal line that was just incredible and made my jaw drop. People had mentioned Dobbins and Taylor before for the Steelers, but I think that at least Taylor has priced himself out with his combine performance. 

WR is also a need, but I'm not sure who exactly I'd want us to take in the mid rounds. Jefferson, coincidentally also LSU, was a favorite of mine, but his combine has catapulted him into mid 1st discussions. 

Haven't really started to delve into Defense much yet. 

Are there any prospects that you guys have identified that you really would love to see as Steelers? I know we have Conner, but he seems to keep getting injured at key times and I'd love to get another talented RB to add to the mix. My favorite that should be there in round 2 or maybe 3 if we're lucky, is Clyde Edwards-Helaire. It's probably just because I got to see him play so much this year, and the team he was on was stacked, but his quickness, vision, and spin move made me want him to be a Steeler. There's one spin move he did at the goal line that was just incredible and made my jaw drop. People had mentioned Dobbins and Taylor before for the Steelers, but I think that at least Taylor has priced himself out with his combine performance. 

WR is also a need, but I'm not sure who exactly I'd want us to take in the mid rounds. Jefferson, coincidentally also LSU, was a favorite of mine, but his combine has catapulted him into mid 1st discussions. 

Haven't really started to delve into Defense much yet. 
would hate to see them waste high draft capital on a RB...need TE or LB first and foremost

I guess I could live with a RB in the 3rd

My favorite that should be there in round 2 or maybe 3 if we're lucky, is Clyde Edwards-Helaire
I don't know if there is anything that would make me happier both as a fan and a fantasy player. I feel pretty strongly he does not make it out of round 2 and would need to have significant injury or off field issue to make it our anticipated compensatory pick at end of round 3. I'm good with a round 2 on him, that's the sweet spot for RB's IMO.

So Steelers fans, how are you guys envisioning Big Ben and Diontae Johnson? I know coming out the Steelers coaches raved about his route running. Do you see him as the likely #2 and a potential breakout candidate this year? I am holding in every league I have him, just curious if there has been any offseason buzz about him...

So Steelers fans, how are you guys envisioning Big Ben and Diontae Johnson? I know coming out the Steelers coaches raved about his route running. Do you see him as the likely #2 and a potential breakout candidate this year? I am holding in every league I have him, just curious if there has been any offseason buzz about him...
No offseason buzz thus far.  Dionte had a nice rookie season with sub-par QB play.   If Ben comes back from his injury I think Johnson has a good chance to have a breakout season. 

Steelers officially get 3rd round compensatory pick for LeVeon Bell.

Also, Steelers will be facing the Dallas Cowboys in the HoF game on Thursday August 6.    I am seriously thinking of taking a road trip for that...

Had to stop and think about it, but hadn't really realized just how long Foster has been around.  Not too shabby a career for an undrafted.   Forgot he was backing up "luminaries" like Trai Essex and Craig freakin' Urbik at first.  😋

With Ben and Steven Nelson restructured, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports the Steelers have saved $20 million in restructures. With just over $6 million saved on the first three players reported, it means the Steelers will have reportedly saved around $4 million from Nelson and $10 million from Roethlisberger.
If my math is correct they are now about $15 under the cap (counting Dupree's tag). 

Last edited by a moderator:
I also heard that the Steelers made a trade with the Baltimore Ravens of all teams.  Reportedly they are giving up a 2021 5th round pick for DL Chris Wormley and a 2021 7th round pick.

Users who are viewing this thread