What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (5 Viewers)

Well if the Steelers needed one more reason to not take the Lions lightly I hoped they watched the Dolphins beat the Ravens last night.   

This could be the last game of the season where the Steelers are favored.  They absolutely must win this game because things get real after this week.

This season is so freakin weird! Bills lose to Jags, Titans lose to Jets, Ravens lose to Miami, Chiefs lose to everybody, it feels like there's no good teams in the NFL this season. Not that the bad teams are better, but that all the teams are just kinda bad. My guess is that whatever teams end the year most healthy will get on a hot streak that carries over into the playoffs. 

Honestly, if Tuitt came back healthy (and the rest of our D stayed healthy) I think we'd have a decent shot at the AFC North title. If he doesn't come back, I don't know that our secondary can hold on long enough with how poorly Ben is playing. Yes, he lead a 4th quarter comeback, but that was partially needed because of his poor throws.

This season is so freakin weird! Bills lose to Jags, Titans lose to Jets, Ravens lose to Miami, Chiefs lose to everybody, it feels like there's no good teams in the NFL this season. Not that the bad teams are better, but that all the teams are just kinda bad. My guess is that whatever teams end the year most healthy will get on a hot streak that carries over into the playoffs. 

Honestly, if Tuitt came back healthy (and the rest of our D stayed healthy) I think we'd have a decent shot at the AFC North title. If he doesn't come back, I don't know that our secondary can hold on long enough with how poorly Ben is playing. Yes, he lead a 4th quarter comeback, but that was partially needed because of his poor throws.

And here I know I am going to jinx him but the one thing that Ben has not been doing lately is turning the ball over. 

If he can continue to take care of the ball and the defense not fall asleep in the 2nd half they will at least be in position to win a few of these games down the stretch.

And here I know I am going to jinx him but the one thing that Ben has not been doing lately is turning the ball over. 

If he can continue to take care of the ball and the defense not fall asleep in the 2nd half they will at least be in position to win a few of these games down the stretch.
If Ray Ray fumbles another return, they have to replace him. He's been the biggest liability in that aspect in recent weeks. 

Overall, if Najee is good to go and Watt is good to go, we should do ok this week. Best be on the lookout for trickery though, especially with our suspect ST. 

Hard to turn it over with this vanilla offense.  Ben out but I think that's a good thing against the Lions.

Hard to turn it over with this vanilla offense.  Ben out but I think that's a good thing against the Lions.
Ben’s  been getting pressured and hit a lot so I am not sure I agree with being easy to not turn the ball over but you may be right about Rudolph starting being a good thing.

I’ll be at the game so it will be interesting to see how the quickly the crowd turns on Rudolph if he plays poorly in the first half.

Hopefully he lights up the Lions and we don’t find out.

Lions get their first win. Surely after a bye and then Pittsburg on a short week, this is the best chance to lose the zero. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Rudolph had a good game 17 fantasy-wise last year - 315 yards 2 TDS, 1 INT with all WRs playing. Was that an aberration?

Was that an aberration?
Almost certainly.  He's horrible at progressions, has pocket presence that's in the negatives, and he stares down his primary with alacrity.  Blind squirrels find a nut on occasion, etc, etc.

That doesn't mean he can't put up another good game vs. a horrible Lions team, but he isn't a very good QB, regardless of what anyone is trying to spin otherwise.  The chances of him laying an enormous turd and throwing multiple picks is just as likely, if not moreso, as him dropping 300 yards and a couple scores. 

He's a limited player.  Doesn't have Claypool this week.  This offensive line is bad.  The playcalling is bad, and will probably be even more limited with him in their over Roeth.  I'd be avoiding for fantasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally depends what position they wind up drafting, IMO.  Not like this crop coming out is looking that fantastic either.

I think they let Rudolph and Haskins battle and draft a qb is a later round if at all. 
Y'all are probably right, but with a downgraded QB class coming into 2022, it might be a good opportunity for Pittsburgh mid-first to align nicely with grabbing a solid prospect.  I think Matt Corral could complete a lot of passes to those receiving weapons.

Y'all are probably right, but with a downgraded QB class coming into 2022, it might be a good opportunity for Pittsburgh mid-first to align nicely with grabbing a solid prospect.  I think Matt Corral could complete a lot of passes to those receiving weapons.
I want no part of Corral, personally.  Hell, the only guy I even think is that interesting for them at this point is the kid from UNR.

If they can't learn to stop that off tackle play vs. Detroit, maybe they're going to need to draft a freaking DT early. 😐

I also don't think there is any way they're going into a season with Rudolph/Haskins as the only options for the starter. 

They'll go after some okay-ish free agent before they do that.  Garoppolo-esque, et al.

I haven't listened to the Steelers on the radio in over a decade.  JFC, these guys are horrid.  Hilgrove is still alive?   Who's the other baboon with him on color?  Wolfley?

This is bad.  Like, "baaaaad" bad.

I never want to see Mason Rudolph play for the Steelers again.  Anyone that thinks we are fine at QB with Rudolph as our backup clearly doesn't know #### 

I never want to see Mason Rudolph play for the Steelers again.  Anyone that thinks we are fine at QB with Rudolph as our backup clearly doesn't know #### 
Agreed,  and we should never be subjected to Matt Canada's play calling again. But Tomlin is too stupid to make a change. 

If the Steelers ran out a lineup without Roethlisberger, Claypool, Watt, Haden, and a couple members of the offensive line, they wouldn't be much or any better than the Lions are right now anyways. Not exactly surprising that they looked thst bad, but if anything good comes from it, hopefully it's that Rudolph never plays again. The guy just has nothing on his passes... can't throw deep, can't throw to the sidelines, can't throw up the seam, and has little touch on the short passes.

This team wasn't and isn't a contender. Just not enough talent on the offensive line and not enough depth on defense. Throw in losing JuJu and Claypool, and I personally hope Haskins gets a look next week if Ben can't go.

5-ish Finkle said:
I haven't listened to the Steelers on the radio in over a decade.  JFC, these guys are horrid.  Hilgrove is still alive?   Who's the other baboon with him on color?  Wolfley?

This is bad.  Like, "baaaaad" bad.
Moose and the other guy on TV were worse.  Easily

Plenty of awful to go around in yesterday's debacle and frankly I don't know where to start.  Yes, Rudolph sucks.  Yes, the offensive line is horrid.   How on earth does a defense that shut down the Cleveland Brown's backfield give up 200+ rushing yards to the friggin' Lions?

I could go on but what's the point?   This team is so bad I could see them not winning another game.  Then again, the rest of the division, the AFC for that matter, aren't all that good so who the heck knows?  Any given Sunday I guess...

It was an absolute miserable afternoon at Heinz field.  Sitting outside in a freezing cold rain and watching that mess was not fun.   I fully expect a loss on the road against the Chargers next Sunday night but at least I'll be nice and comfy at home.

Hopefully Watt's injury isn't serious because without him this defense is toast.

Plenty of awful to go around in yesterday's debacle and frankly I don't know where to start.  Yes, Rudolph sucks.  Yes, the offensive line is horrid.   How on earth does a defense that shut down the Cleveland Brown's backfield give up 200+ rushing yards to the friggin' Lions?

I could go on but what's the point?   This team is so bad I could see them not winning another game.  Then again, the rest of the division, the AFC for that matter, aren't all that good so who the heck knows?  Any given Sunday I guess...

It was an absolute miserable afternoon at Heinz field.  Sitting outside in a freezing cold rain and watching that mess was not fun.   I fully expect a loss on the road against the Chargers next Sunday night but at least I'll be nice and comfy at home.

Hopefully Watt's injury isn't serious because without him this defense is toast.
The term fair weather fan did not originate in Pittsburgh.

Bad calls? 

Bush clearly held Hock, and you never dive at a QB below the knees like that. They deserved to lose, just like they did last week. 

Once again, Rudolph proving he is not the answer. The overthrows and underthrows were consistent and killed drives and took points off the board. The pass at Ray Ray's feet was going to be a TD, and the throw that was too high and way too hard to Diontae over the middle could have been another TD, just to name a couple. The poor accuracy was consistent all game. 

People are ragging on Canada, but the WRs and TEs were open most of the game, the OC can only scheme people open, not make the throw. I don't think Canada's game plans have been amazing, but this game isn't on his shoulders. 

It definitely didn't help that the Steelers lost 2 O-linemen to injury, as well as the best defensive player in the NFL and our starting CB. 

If it was any team other than the Lions it would have been a loss, but they try just as hard to not win as the Steelers right now. Next game is against the Chargers on Sunday night, if Watt isn't back (and prelim reports say hip/knee injury and should miss some time) then they will lose. 

Watt is more important than Ben right now because Ben and Mason look pretty similar. A washed up Ben is probably 10% better than Mason. There also should have been 2-3 more picks by the Lions, they just can't catch. 

Bad calls? 

Bush clearly held Hock, and you never dive at a QB below the knees like that. They deserved to lose, just like they did last week. 
Maybe but I was referring to the running into the kicker call and the defensive holding call that negated an interception.

I am not blaming the loss on the refs at all, the Steelers stink, I was just saying that this notion that referees are either biased for the Steelers or on the take is ridiculous.

True but the defense yesterday was horrible even before Watt got hurt.    The defense is just not that good.
I'd say this is mostly because of mediocre play at NT and DE (across from Heyward), poor play at ILB, and poor play at Strong Safety. Edmunds did have an excellent play today, but overall he has not been good. Bush and Schobert are too often in the wrong place on running plays, but they're not helped by the plethora of players attempting to replace Tuitt and Alualu. Bush and Schobert just aren't there, where guys in the past like Farrior and Timmons were often there to stuff the run. I thought Vince Williams was washed, but we didn't really get a replacement for him in the run game. 

Our pass rushing, young CBs, Heyward and Minkah are good, but the core of our D is rotten. Solid pass rushing hides a lot of gaps. 

Also, just to reiterate, if the Steelers start Mason Rudolph next year and have not invested a pick or $$ into a vet then the season is a rebuilding year. He has 0 chance of winning a Super Bowl and probably 0 chance of a decent playoff run. They might be able to win the division and make the playoffs if the running game is solid, O-line improves, and defense fills some holes, but without a good QB you just can't win in the playoffs. 

That said, the options for next year are kinda crap. The college QB class looks very mediocre, possibly on par with 2013 (EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley), a handful of future backups. Likewise, the available free agent Vets aren't promising, and QBs who will be on the trade block have looked meh (like Darnold, Teddy, Winston). 

Watt's knee and hip injuries will likely have him out this week and he'll be week-to-week after that.

CB Joe Haden is considered "day to day" with his foot injury

OG Kevin Dotson injured his ankle yesterday and could miss multiple weeks and is possibly a short-term IR candidate.

Maybe but I was referring to the running into the kicker call and the defensive holding call that negated an interception.

I am not blaming the loss on the refs at all, the Steelers stink, I was just saying that this notion that referees are either biased for the Steelers or on the take is ridiculous.
Refs don't have a bias, they are just plain bad all over the league, and it can work against any team. 

True but the defense yesterday was horrible even before Watt got hurt.    The defense is just not that good.
When teams run away from Heyward, there is success to be found. When Watt can't get to the QB, the secondary is exposed as well. Bush has been horrible all season, as well as Edmunds. Essentially, there's nobody else making consistent plays on this defense, aside from the two studs they have. 

Users who are viewing this thread