What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (8 Viewers)

Losing both Guards hurts, since they are the best part of an overall weak unit. Sounds like Dotson will miss a few weeks, but still waiting on Turner news. 

As for CB, I do like what Pierre and Norwood have shown.

Reports are that Watt had MRIs on his hip and knee which revealed no damage.  He's just very sore and it is too early to speculate how much time, of any, he will miss. 

So a little good news this afternoon...

Minkah Fitzpatrick tested Covid-19 positive,  putting his availability for Sunday in doubt.

Ben Roethlisberger is also still experiencing symptoms so he may also miss another week.

Minkah Fitzpatrick tested Covid-19 positive,  putting his availability for Sunday in doubt.

Ben Roethlisberger is also still experiencing symptoms so he may also miss another week.
The pandemic is surging in northern states. Just like it was surging in Florida from July to September when we experienced our worst ICU and death rates of the entire pandemic.  Our seasonal pattern was similar to the 2020 surge, except it was slightly delayed and lasted longer.  Delta was the primary culprit along with people thinking the pandemic was over and letting their guard down. I hope Ben and Minkah recover quickly.

Fitzpatrick is vaccinated, according to Dale Lolley of DK Pittsburgh Sports. He would be able to return in less than 10 days if he is asymptomatic and can produce two negative tests 24 hours apart.

Well they came back to bite them yesterday.  Two extremely bad calls went against the Steelers proving that bad officiating goes for and against all teams.
As always, teams need to overcome bad calls... and the Steelers had a chance to do that... until D. Johnson fumbled after that long pass in OT (or late 4th quarter)... That play cost the Steelers more than any of the bad calls, IMO.

We could be missing Big Ben, TJ Watt, Kevin Dotson, Trai Turner, Chase Claypool, Joe Haden, and Minkah Fitzpatrick (in addition to those previously injured, Tuitt/Alualu/Juju) when we face the Chargers next Sunday night. So, if the history of the Steelers has shown me anything, we'll win. 

I can already see it now, Highsmith has a strip sack, Norwood has a pick, Najee has over 100 yards, Mason gets hurt early and Dwayne Haskins plays better than he has since college, Heyward has multiple sacks, and Herbert gets the yips. It's a lock!

Chargers 35 - Steelers 17

5-ish Finkle said:
I haven't listened to the Steelers on the radio in over a decade.  JFC, these guys are horrid.  Hilgrove is still alive?   Who's the other baboon with him on color?  Wolfley?

This is bad.  Like, "baaaaad" bad.
I listened as well,  pretty sure Hilgrove was drunk

This does seem to be the best total rookie class in a while, despite struggles from Green and Dan Moore (who was thrust into play). 
I actually think they have played well enough that I expect good things in the future.  Green hasn't played much C. He is struggling getting low after snapping the ball. He will fix this. Moore has played about as good as you can expect a rookie LT to play. 

I actually think they have played well enough that I expect good things in the future.  Green hasn't played much C. He is struggling getting low after snapping the ball. He will fix this. Moore has played about as good as you can expect a rookie LT to play. 
Whatever they do next year at QB, they simply must upgrade the offensive line, whether by draft or FA or both.

Unfortunately they have holes to fill on the defensive side too. Maybe get some guys that can tackle

Whatever they do next year at QB, they simply must upgrade the offensive line, whether by draft or FA or both.

Unfortunately they have holes to fill on the defensive side too. Maybe get some guys that can tackle
They need a RT and a G. They shouldn't draft a QB just because they don't have one. I am not sure there is an NFL in next year's class. WR is likely a need. 

CB and S will be the biggest needs on D, but they need to get younger on the DL too. Bush hasn't been good this year. Maybe still slow from the injury last year, but mLB might also be a need.

Wingnut said:
Fitzpatrick is vaccinated, according to Dale Lolley of DK Pittsburgh Sports. He would be able to return in less than 10 days if he is asymptomatic and can produce two negative tests 24 hours apart.
Truth is, at this point, if you haven’t had your booster, you’re not fully vaccinated now. 

They could have had Creed second round, and Green in the third as a guard.

They took Muth instead. So far, that has not proven to be a good move.

They could have had Creed second round, and Green in the third as a guard.

They took Muth instead. So far, that has not proven to be a good move.
He has done well in KC, but is a bad fir in Pittsburgh's system. He is also an injury risk. 

Pat has been the 2nd best player on the Steelers offense. Hard to regret that choice. 

He has done well in KC, but is a bad fir in Pittsburgh's system. He is also an injury risk. 

Pat has been the 2nd best player on the Steelers offense. Hard to regret that choice. 
Bad fit?

He can run block, as well as pass block, and is the highest rated C in the league. Steelers greatest need, arguably, was a C. 

So . . . Do we see Norwood starting for Fitz, and Joseph up from practice squad? 

Witherspoon dress? 

Who is the extra OLB this week?

Anthony Miller or Sims?

So . . . Do we see Norwood starting for Fitz, and Joseph up from practice squad? 

Witherspoon dress? 

Who is the extra OLB this week?

Anthony Miller or Sims?
Good questions and I honestly don't know, things are a mess right now:

Wednesday's practice report:

WR Chase Claypool (toe): LP
CB Joe Haden (foot): DNP
OL Trai Turner (ankle): DNP
OL Kevin Dotson (ankle): DNP
LB TJ Watt (Hip/knee): DNP
DT Cam Heyward (Coaches decision): LP

QB Ben Roethlisberger and S Minkah Fitzpatrick are on the Reserve/Covid so do not appear on the practice report since technically neither are part of the 53 man roster until they are activated 

The only way we win this game is if we win the turnover battle. I just don't see a way that Rudolph outperforms Herbert, especially if Dotson and Claypool are out. Even if Najee has a monster game, I'm not confident that he can overcome Rudolph throwing a pick or 2, the Chargers can catch better than the Lions...

The only way we win this game is if we win the turnover battle. I just don't see a way that Rudolph outperforms Herbert, especially if Dotson and Claypool are out. Even if Najee has a monster game, I'm not confident that he can overcome Rudolph throwing a pick or 2, the Chargers can catch better than the Lions...
I still expect Ben to play. 

I thought Ben was playing?

The defense isn't off the charts but they are overall a good unit that with health and a few patches could be a good unit.

Boswell is top 5 at least, Harvin seems average but whatever, Ray Ray is pretty sus - but that again can be patched.

OL, QB and backup RB are so bad they make the whole team suffer and render the good players we do have on O irrelevant against a good team.  NE would do about the same to us as they did to ATL.

The defense isn't off the charts but they are overall a good unit that with health and a few patches could be a good unit.

Boswell is top 5 at least, Harvin seems average but whatever, Ray Ray is pretty sus - but that again can be patched.

OL, QB and backup RB are so bad they make the whole team suffer and render the good players we do have on O irrelevant against a good team.  NE would do about the same to us as they did to ATL.
Sorry but I don’t agree that a unit giving up 200+ Rushing yards to a terrible Detroit Lions team is good.

Sure they miss Alualu and Tuitt but the rest of the defense was healthy for most of that game.  They’re also likely going to be moving on from Hayden so there’s another hole to fill.

This team has some good parts but they’re have a lot of work to do this off-season to improve.

Fortunately they’re going to have a boatload of cash, hopefully they spend wisely and couple that with a good draft.

My strategy would be to solidify the offensive line first, bolster the defense as much as you can and sign a veteran QB to compete with Rudolph and look to draft a QB in 2023.

That said I would definitely be interested in Russell Wilson…

It sounds like the Steelers will have Big Ben and Chase Claypool back.  

Unfortunately the defense will be missing Watt, Hayden and Minkah.

I think the Steelers only chance is to get ahead early and run the ball to keep the defense off the field.   That hasn’t worked very well this season but I don’t think we want to get into a shoot out.

Who the heck is delontae scott?  How did they screw up the backup OLB so bad??  

Cut Roche. Cut Jamir Jones. Both playing relatively well. Trade Ingram who would be perfect now and this scenario was the whole reason they signed him in the first place?!

Who the heck is delontae scott?  How did they screw up the backup OLB so bad??  

Cut Roche. Cut Jamir Jones. Both playing relatively well. Trade Ingram who would be perfect now and this scenario was the whole reason they signed him in the first place?!
Im not sure about Roche or Jones but Ingram wasn’t really setting the world on fire with the opportunities given here.  Take a look at his stats with with the Chiefs, they are underwhelming to say the least

OG Kevin Dotson placed on IR due to high ankle sprain means he will miss at least 3 weeks.

It looks like J.C. Hassenauer will replace Dotson in the starting lineup against  the Chargers.. 

In their current state, this might just be the worst team in football.  Maybe.  When fully healthy, they're average to decent but the product on the field tonight would lost to several college teams.  And then of course you have another fluke Ravens win.  The season can't end soon enough.  

The Devon Bush pick is really a killer. He is invisible every single game. When is the last time you heard his name on a play, unless he was getting beat.

Not sure what Tuitt's contract is like but I hope they aren't anchored down by him. Cut him and be done, he's missed more games than he played here. 

In their current state, this might just be the worst team in football.  Maybe.  When fully healthy, they're average to decent but the product on the field tonight would lost to several college teams.  And then of course you have another fluke Ravens win.  The season can't end soon enough.  

I'll agree that as banged up as they are, they're pretty bad.  That said, last night's 2nd half effort was as gritty of a performance by a Steelers team that I've seen in quite a while.   They were playing with one, maybe both arms tied behind their back and almost pulled it off.

Disappointing overall, but that was quite an entertaining game for those that stayed up to watch it.

The Devon Bush pick is really a killer. He is invisible every single game. When is the last time you heard his name on a play, unless he was getting beat.
I came to post the same thing. Not sure if it is the ACL or what, but if he cannot shed a block and doesn’t have elite speed, he is useless out there. Makes no plays and is covered up on every TD. 

That Witherspoon trade looks terrible. Can we cut him and save the comp pick at least?

And I dont care that Ingram isn’t lighting up with the Chiefs or that he was upset with snap count (he should have had more snaps); they signed him for depth and they needed him. We had 4th stringers out there (though they were better than Bush and Edmonds). 

That was a winnable game if anyone could tackle the QB. 

I'll agree that as banged up as they are, they're pretty bad.  That said, last night's 2nd half effort was as gritty of a performance by a Steelers team that I've seen in quite a while.   They were playing with one, maybe both arms tied behind their back and almost pulled it off.

Disappointing overall, but that was quite an entertaining game for those that stayed up to watch it.
I went to sleep right after I posted that.  Obviously missed a very entertaining 4th quarter!

You would think that the Steelers would try to run Najee more, given that the Chargers have a poor run-D and our defense was so banged up . . . . 

The comp pick the Steelers expect for losing Bud DuPree looks like it could end up being a 4th rounder.  He is currently on IR and has to miss three games which according to the article I linked  below will.   He may not play enough snaps to qualify for a third round comp pick.

Also Joe Haeg plays 25% or more of the snaps then he will be counted in the comp pick formula and could cancel out a late round comp pick.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/11/steelers-in-danger-of-losing-3rd-round-comp-pick-for-bud-dupree/

You would think that the Steelers would try to run Najee more, given that the Chargers have a poor run-D and our defense was so banged up . . . . 

They did try running a bit but they were only averaging a little over 3 yards a carry.   The offensive line is just not very good and not healthy, a bad combination.  Aside from getting way too cute on 1st & 2nd downs when we're inside the 5, I was quite pleased with the offense.

Bush has been horrible this season.

Sure glad they took Muth over a real C though. That move will haunt them, and force them to go back looking for another starting C next year. Green was slapped around like a ragdoll last night. Haeg playing G was tough to watch. Also, that Witherspoon trade looks bad, real bad. He stinks.

On the bright side, Heyward is a beast. He was fighting off double teams all night, and showed the heart of a lion. An inspiring performance, and it's too bad he was a lone wolf with no support.

Users who are viewing this thread