What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (12 Viewers)

Two things:

1. OC candidates - I think we should try to hire Ken Dorsey (Buffalo QB coach), though he's not leaving Buffalo if Daboll leaves (unless he goes with Daboll). Or we should hire Pep Hamilton (Texans QB Coach, was Indy QB coach for Andrew Luck). 
  2. I think people are underestimating our cap situation moving forward. A large part of why we couldn't spend to improve positions over the past decade was because we were always in a terrible cap situation. With Big Ben retiring and most of our roster being young players (except Heyward), we are going to have $38 million next year, and possibly up to $150 million in 2023. We have hardly any players signed long term which is scary, but also poses a lot of opportunity. The free agent class isn't that great this year, but having a ton of room gives us options. We could trade for players on the cheap with large contracts or who have contracts that are expiring that we could extend. We do have players of our own to extend like Minkah and Diontae, but we should soon have mountains of cap space which, if used wisely, could elevate the Steelers into contention sooner than expected. 

Godsbrother said:
Well they picked Green up in the 3rd and Dan Moore in the 4th and signed BJ Finney and Joel Haeg so not really ignored but obviously it wasn't even close enough.
Hindsight is 20/20. I think we all wish we left the draft with Freiermuth and Creed Humphrey. Najee is great, and fun to watch, but he's a 1st round RB and the value just isn't there for a team that's not actively contending. 

Hindsight is 20/20. I think we all wish we left the draft with Freiermuth and Creed Humphrey. Najee is great, and fun to watch, but he's a 1st round RB and the value just isn't there for a team that's not actively contending. 
Even with hindsight I don't agree.

I would still have selected Najee and that says something to me when the best OL you can name the Steelers passed in round one was available for them to draft in round 2, yet people keep yammering on that they should have taken an OL over Najee in round one.

Now should Steelers have moved back in round one? Yes and that is something me and probably a lot of others felt was right at the time, especially when Darrisaw went in front of them. But that's a whole other subject and I have zero issue with them not addressing OL with those first two picks in light of who was available. To me Friermuch or Creed was/is debatable, Najee was clearly the right choice to me.

Let's not get all caught up in round one vs early round two either. It's not like Najee was a top 10 pick. Taylor and Derrick Henry were round two guys but not selected much later then Najee. They are main reasons those teams are contenders despite sub-standard QB play and I think Najee offers the same possibility. 

I still think Ben should have been gone last, year and this past year, however it was sad to see his last game.  Im glad he was our QB for so long 

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could name one thing I'd like the Steelers to do ASAP is to do everything they can to lure Mike Munchak back if he's not part of the new staff in Denver. Make him the highest paid non-coordinator in the league, whatever it takes. He'd improve the OL more then using a first round pick on one.

would still have selected Najee and that says something to me when the best OL you can name the Steelers passed in round one was available for them to draft in round 2, yet people keep yammering on that they should have taken an OL over Najee in round one.
The OL didn’t break right for them last year value wise. I wasn’t happy with the Najee pick but recognize they were trying to help Ben i his last go around 

Even with hindsight I don't agree.

I would still have selected Najee and that says something to me when the best OL you can name the Steelers passed in round one was available for them to draft in round 2, yet people keep yammering on that they should have taken an OL over Najee in round one.

Now should Steelers have moved back in round one? Yes and that is something me and probably a lot of others felt was right at the time, especially when Darrisaw went in front of them. But that's a whole other subject and I have zero issue with them not addressing OL with those first two picks in light of who was available. To me Friermuch or Creed was/is debatable, Najee was clearly the right choice to me.

Let's not get all caught up in round one vs early round two either. It's not like Najee was a top 10 pick. Taylor and Derrick Henry were round two guys but not selected much later then Najee. They are main reasons those teams are contenders despite sub-standard QB play and I think Najee offers the same possibility. 
That's fair, I wasn't even banging the drum for Creed Humphrey in the 1st and would still be very happy with Pat in the 2nd. My ideal the whole time after Darrisaw and Jaelen Phillips were gone was to trade back. I'd have been much, much happier if we traded back to get more picks and grabbed Tevin Jenkins or Sam Cosmi at tackle. I know Jenkins has been hurt most of this year, but I think he still can develop into a great road grading tackle. 

Najee is awesome, and will be fun to watch even if our team stinks, but 4 years from now some of those other guys will still be dominant and will be signed to 2nd contracts. Najee won't be worth a 2nd contract unless he's an absolute aberration from the norm at RB, and with how hard we work our RBs I doubt he will be. With all the touches he's going to see, come years 6 and 7 he'll be wearing down. If the Steelers do give him a 2nd contract we'll be in the same boat as the teams that signed Zeke, David Johnson, Todd Gurley, Christian McCaffrey, etc. 

If the Steelers somehow luck into an amazing QB in the next 2-3 years I could eat my words, but IMO RB is the last piece to a great team, not the first piece to a rebuild...

If I could name one thing I'd like the Steelers to do ASAP is to do everything they can to lure Mike Munchak back if he's not part of the new staff in Denver. Make him the highest paid non-coordinator in the league, whatever it takes. He'd improve the OL more then using a first round pick on one.
100%, but he moved to Denver to be closer to family more than for the team. At 61 if he's not re-signed by Denver (which they'd be fools to let him go), he might just retire. 

100%%  The team started going backwards when he left.

I am glad they drafted Najee.  I think he is a unique talent and hard worker. I don't care what analytics say, he is a Steeler.

I think we have some nice pieces on both sides of the ball and cap room  -- I don't know that we are in for some long rebuild and playoff draught.  

Get Canada out.  Let Rudolph, Haskins, and another retread battle it out next season, and see what happens.  

Godsbrother said:
Well they picked Green up in the 3rd and Dan Moore in the 4th and signed BJ Finney and Joel Haeg so not really ignored but obviously it wasn't even close enough.
There wasn't really a ton more they could have done. They didn't have the cap space to make a splash in free agency. As much as I hated the Harris pick, there was no O-line there that would have been worth drafting in that spot. D-line didn't look like a hole last year. 

Humphrey has been good in KC, but isn't the same fit in Pittsburgh. He went 63rd in the draft. It would have been a big reach to take him with a first. I would have loved a trade down, but that depends on somebody making you an offer. They should have taken a CB in the 1st.

There wasn't really a ton more they could have done. They didn't have the cap space to make a splash in free agency. As much as I hated the Harris pick, there was no O-line there that would have been worth drafting in that spot. D-line didn't look like a hole last year. 
This year we're going to have a lot more money (and way more in 2023), but it doesn't look like there's going to be solid O-line options under 30. It will be interesting to see where the money gets spent. Hoping we don't invest in old players because this year doesn't look like one where we'll be contenders. 

If we don't reach then the Steelers would be almost guaranteed to get a great player at a position of need at pick 20. There will probably be at least 1 or 2 QBs drafted before us and the top 18 players at other positions are positions where we need support, OT, OC, S, CB, Edge, WR, ILB, DL. As a team with so many needs, it would be a shame if we reached on a player for a specific position.

Many big boards have the same players around picks 12-20: Tyler Linderbaum (C), Nakobe Dean (ILB), Jordan Davis (DL), Jameson Williams (WR), Sauce Gardner (CB), Devin Lloyd (ILB), Kenyon Green (OT), Charles Cross (OT), Garrett Wilson (WR), Drake London (WR). We'll see how the offseason shakes out, but I don't think it looks like a value to trade back, getting one of those top 20 players could really help any of our position groups.

Wide receiver is a huge need for us with only 2 signed for 2022. This WR class is deep, but that could mean that taking a WR in the 1st is a good idea. Since there is a larger group of great WRs, the talent is expected to fall further than if there was a limited quantity at the position. Instead of the top 3 WRs going top 11, they're expected to go top 22 (at least at this point in the process). Garrett Wilson, Drake London, and Jameson Williams are all incredible and would instantly give us weapons for whoever ends up being QB. The Steelers have been very solid at WR scouting so I'd trust that whoever they bring in would be an absolute game changer. After seeing Diontae's drops during the playoff game watching Wilson's tape just popped even more. His hands are ridiculous. 

I think it's probable that the Steelers try to re-sign Adams to play NT along with Alualu next year, but we could go after Jordan Davis in the 1st. I've seen him mocked top 12 or as low as the late 20's. He's a NT, or at least a huge DT, and that's usually seen as a position not worth a high pick. Based on how horrendous our run defense was last year, we could really use a mountain of a man at the point of attack. He's 350 lbs, but if you watch the tape he often is reacting faster to the snap that many of his teammates. If we could get a player like Casey Hampton who could help turn our run defense from a liability into an asset I would definitely support that. The AFC North is filled with amazing running talent, we need to find a way to nullify the advantages that Cle, Cin, and Bal have at those positions. The only benefit to having a team with so many needs is that as long as we take BPA, we'll be filling a hole that needed help. 

Right now, the only reasons to trade down would be an offer we can't refuse (like a future 1st in 2023) or if the Steelers are taking a QB. If they're taking a QB no matter what, trade down but stay in the 1st for that 5th year option. And take whatever you can get, even if it's just a 3rd or 4th. 

This year we're going to have a lot more money (and way more in 2023), but it doesn't look like there's going to be solid O-line options under 30. It will be interesting to see where the money gets spent. Hoping we don't invest in old players because this year doesn't look like one where we'll be contenders. 
If we go with early pick(s) on offensive line, I don't have a problem bringing in a reasonably priced veteran lineman that could improve the running game and help keep Rudolph (or whoever the QB is) upright.

Yikes. Rudolph's made no progress despite being there 15 years. Get Winston/Stache/even Mariota if wanting a cheap bridge. At least there's a small chance they become multiyear starters 

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly said "all signs point" to Mason Rudolph as the Steelers' starting QB in 2022. 

A rookie class bereft of elite quarterback prospects and a free agent QB pool without a standout name likely means the Steelers will be stuck with Rudolph for at least one season. In three seasons in Pittsburgh, Rudolph has shown he's not a long-term answer under center. He's completed 61.5 percent of his passes for 16 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, with a middling 6.2 adjusted yards per attempt over 17 regular season appearances (including 10 starts). Rudolph was embarrassing in his Week 10 start against Detroit, a 16-16 tie in which Pittsburgh managed one touchdown -- and 4.8 yards per pass attempt -- against the porous Lions defense. Rudolph as the team's starter represents a downgrade for every pass catcher in the Steelers offense. 

Some potential good news: https://steelersdepot.com/2022/01/montravius-adams-definitely-wants-to-finish-career-with-steelers-says-they-have-family-feel-hes-lacked-since-college/

He was better than our other D-linemen (excluding Heyward and Wormley), bringing him back could be a value and add solid depth behind Alualu (who is only signed for 1 year). Loudermilk looked ok in limited action, but definitely didn't impress. A D-line with Heyward, Alualu, Tuitt, Adams, and Loudermilk would be one of the stronger position groups on the team, but Tuitt and Alualu are entering their final year of their contracts so we'll need more talent soon. 

Some potential good news: https://steelersdepot.com/2022/01/montravius-adams-definitely-wants-to-finish-career-with-steelers-says-they-have-family-feel-hes-lacked-since-college/

He was better than our other D-linemen (excluding Heyward and Wormley), bringing him back could be a value and add solid depth behind Alualu (who is only signed for 1 year). Loudermilk looked ok in limited action, but definitely didn't impress. A D-line with Heyward, Alualu, Tuitt, Adams, and Loudermilk would be one of the stronger position groups on the team, but Tuitt and Alualu are entering their final year of their contracts so we'll need more talent soon. 
Loudermilk was pretty bad really, however I do see some potential there. He could develop into a starter at DE 

If we don't reach then the Steelers would be almost guaranteed to get a great player at a position of need at pick 20. There will probably be at least 1 or 2 QBs drafted before us and the top 18 players at other positions are positions where we need support, OT, OC, S, CB, Edge, WR, ILB, DL. As a team with so many needs, it would be a shame if we reached on a player for a specific position.

Many big boards have the same players around picks 12-20: Tyler Linderbaum (C), Nakobe Dean (ILB), Jordan Davis (DL), Jameson Williams (WR), Sauce Gardner (CB), Devin Lloyd (ILB), Kenyon Green (OT), Charles Cross (OT), Garrett Wilson (WR), Drake London (WR). We'll see how the offseason shakes out, but I don't think it looks like a value to trade back, getting one of those top 20 players could really help any of our position groups.

Wide receiver is a huge need for us with only 2 signed for 2022. This WR class is deep, but that could mean that taking a WR in the 1st is a good idea. Since there is a larger group of great WRs, the talent is expected to fall further than if there was a limited quantity at the position. Instead of the top 3 WRs going top 11, they're expected to go top 22 (at least at this point in the process). Garrett Wilson, Drake London, and Jameson Williams are all incredible and would instantly give us weapons for whoever ends up being QB. The Steelers have been very solid at WR scouting so I'd trust that whoever they bring in would be an absolute game changer. After seeing Diontae's drops during the playoff game watching Wilson's tape just popped even more. His hands are ridiculous. 

I think it's probable that the Steelers try to re-sign Adams to play NT along with Alualu next year, but we could go after Jordan Davis in the 1st. I've seen him mocked top 12 or as low as the late 20's. He's a NT, or at least a huge DT, and that's usually seen as a position not worth a high pick. Based on how horrendous our run defense was last year, we could really use a mountain of a man at the point of attack. He's 350 lbs, but if you watch the tape he often is reacting faster to the snap that many of his teammates. If we could get a player like Casey Hampton who could help turn our run defense from a liability into an asset I would definitely support that. The AFC North is filled with amazing running talent, we need to find a way to nullify the advantages that Cle, Cin, and Bal have at those positions. The only benefit to having a team with so many needs is that as long as we take BPA, we'll be filling a hole that needed help. 

Right now, the only reasons to trade down would be an offer we can't refuse (like a future 1st in 2023) or if the Steelers are taking a QB. If they're taking a QB no matter what, trade down but stay in the 1st for that 5th year option. And take whatever you can get, even if it's just a 3rd or 4th. 

It is going to be a weird draft. Generally I think 1st round picks should be premium positions: QB, WR, LT, Edge, or CB. This could be a year, that I say screw that though.

I don't think there is a QB worth drafting at 20. I think Moore is the LT of the future. Edge is not a need. It would have to be crazy value before that seems like a good choice. CB is probably my preferred 1st round pick, but wouldn't hate WR. Homer, but I think Dotson is the real deal and I can see going IOL, RT, or even NT.

If they go online, Cross will not be around at 20, I think Green is a guard and a small reach at 20. I think Penning is the likely best choice if the look for an OT. Linderbaum and Ekwonu look like great prospects if they go IOL. However I am not sure either will be there.

Drafting a NT in the first is fairly crazy. It is really a part time position in the NFL now. However,  Davis looks like an amazing fit. I wouldn't hate that pick.

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly said "all signs point" to Mason Rudolph as the Steelers' starting QB in 2022. 

Kaboly is a really good beat writer, one of the best IMO,  but I think he's a tad premature on that comment.

I think the more accurate way to put it would be to say "all signs point to Rudolph being in competition to start". Now that sucks in and of itself but I think we are a long way from him being some kind of assumed starter. And a key I'd keep an eye out for is if he gets extended another year. If they do then gulp, but fact they only extended him to cover 2022 season again suggests to me they wanted him as insurance while they try and figure out a plan this offseason, in other words he's the backup option or temporary placeholder for a rookie.

I'm going to end up saying this a lot I think over next few months but regarding the the incoming QB class not seen as very good. That may be true but I think back to years like 2017 and  people thought that class was not very good either.

I looked up Daniel Jeremiahs first top 50 for the 2017 NFL class, which he published almost on this exact date, January 17th of 2017.

His #1 QB was Kizer, who was 15th overall, followed by Trubisky at 31, Watson at 32. Mahomes did not make his top 50.

For some reason I can't locate his updated rankings for that year so I looked up Matt Millers final big board just for reference sake and he had Trubisky as his top QB, Watson in the 20's and Mahomes was #37.

Obviously real NFL teams were higher on these players but at this point in the process people on the outside like us did not hold very high opinions of this class and there have been a few more like it and with the craziness of COVID the last two seasons I think it's more likely then past years a prospect we are not overly high on right now ends up being really good or coveted.

I'm going to end up saying this a lot I think over next few months but regarding the the incoming QB class not seen as very good. That may be true but I think back to years like 2017 and  people thought that class was not very good either.
And that's sort of the reason I'm not absolutely ruling out that they take a QB early.  Chances are one or two of this class will wind up being decent/better than that.  The rub is picking the right one, of course, and the odds for it will be lower this year.  That said, I won't hate them for taking a shot on someone in the first couple of rounds who they think has a game that will play at the pro level.  I just would hope they don't do it at #20. 

I like Strong's game the best of the available bodies in this group, but wouldn't want to bank a top 20 on it translating enough to make it worth the risk.  Late first?  High second?  I'd be able to be convinced.

I like Strong's game the best of the available bodies in this group, but wouldn't want to bank a top 20 on it translating enough to make it worth the risk.  Late first?  High second?  I'd be able to be convinced.
Always take a QB late first if you think they're the answer long term, that 5th year option can save buckets of money and give extra time for evaluation. 

Bringing back Canada and hitching the wagon to Rudolph would seem to put Tomlin’s streak of non-losing seasons in serious jeopardy.  

As rough as it was to watch the offense this year, that’s not an encouraging recipe heading into next season.

"I wouldn't characterize them as 'everyday starters'" Tomlin talking about Haskins and Rudolph when asked about next season's starter. Full press conference here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-K9ageWTCs

Press Conference Takeaways:

• Sounds like Tomlin wants Canada back as OC and was more blaming the players/situation than Canada and his schemes.
  • Keith Butler may retire, that could hurt our pass rush which has been one of the best over the past 5 years (even if our ILB and Secondary play has been poor). 
  • Hassenauer passed Green on the depth chart due to poor play. Not ruling out KG at center, but his first response was that KG has positional flexibility. Sounds like he could be moving to guard, but he's small and weak, not seeing a big advantage there.
  • Terrell Edmunds #1 asset is availability. That says it all. It's not a skill like tackling or reading the offense (which is obvious from the missed tackles, terrible angles, and all around ineptitude). Sounds like he's going to be re-signed because he doesn't get hurt a lot...
  • Asked about Banner and Bush, some criticism of game and said their game "wasn't fluid" after knee injuries. Expects improvement in 2022 two years out from injuries. Sounds like both could be back. 
  • Asked about Witherspoon and Haden, basically said that options will be weighed. Said depends on Free Agent field and draft component. 
  • Tomlin said he wants a QB with "mobility". Obviously.
Potential Cuts and Savings:

• Zach Banner - $5 million
  • Stephon Tuitt - $4 million
  • Joe Schobert - $8 million (following 2 years are $11+ mil each)
  • Joe Haeg - $2.5 million
  • Derek Watt - $2.8 million
  • Total ~$22.3 million
Not a whole lot of savings opportunities, but we also aren't as strapped for cash as usual. 

Bringing back Canada and hitching the wagon to Rudolph would seem to put Tomlin’s streak of non-losing seasons in serious jeopardy.  

As rough as it was to watch the offense this year, that’s not an encouraging recipe heading into next season.
This is the secret plan to lose enough games to get a top 2 QB in 2023. Our defense is too good to lose 13+ games, but if we roll with Canada again they could make 1-2 wins happen...

Personally I would rather not see Canada back as OC but I do think the biggest problem was that horrendous offensive line.    This has to be priority number 1.  Zach Banner at $5 million should be cut.

Not crazy about Edmunds being back.  He knows the system, stays healthy and should come fairly cheap.  Still would rather move on from him.

I really would like to see Witherspoon back.  I love Joe Haden but he's long in the tooth, only would want him back for vet minimum.

Always take a QB late first if you think they're the answer long term, that 5th year option can save buckets of money and give extra time for evaluation. 
For sure, if you can find an appropriate trading partner at the end of round one.  That's the perfect scenario.

If they couldn't, but could get into the top 5 or round two and still have the chance to draft a guy, I wouldn't want that to stop them from taking the shot at whichever QB they felt had the game to justify a Day One pick.

Pep Hamilton declined to interview with the Panthers for what is likely a 1-year job (if Rhule gets fired). Still hoping we bring him in, he's worked so well with young QBs and it's clear that we'll need to develop a young QB over the next few years. A possible bonus is that Pep could do well and earn looks at HC, which would net us extra 3rd round picks. He was pretty solid as the DC Defenders head coach!

Steelers DC Keith Butler could retire

Tomlin said that defensive coordinator Keith Butler “has had conversations about this potentially being his last year,” but that no final determination about his status has been made because the coaches have been doing exit interviews with players.

“Defensively, we didn’t play as well as we’d like,” Tomlin said, via Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “We have to get better in that area. You can talk about player availability or lack thereof. You can seek comfort. I don’t. We don’t. All we have is what’s on tape and our record. We need to be better. I’m not comfortable with what we did against the run. I don’t think any of us are. That needs to improve. It will improve. We’ll plot a course to do so.”

Butler joined the Steelers as linebackers coach in 2003 and moved to his current role in 2015. Secondary coach Teryl Austin is seen as the top in-house candidate to replace him.

Butler joined the Steelers as linebackers coach in 2003 and moved to his current role in 2015. Secondary coach Teryl Austin is seen as the top in-house candidate to replace him.
Why? Our secondary has not been anything to write home about in many years. I know that's largely lack of investment and talent, but part of it has to be coaching...

Why? Our secondary has not been anything to write home about in many years. I know that's largely lack of investment and talent, but part of it has to be coaching...
Austin interviewed for the TItans DC last year.  I remember he was a hot property and did a quick search assuming this bio was from this year since it came from the Steeler web page, but it quotes stats from last year dated 2020:

https://www.steelers.com/team/coaches-roster/teryl-austin

...Austin coached a group of defensive backs that helped Pittsburgh's defense rank as one of the NFL's best in 2020. The Steelers limited 11 opponents below a 60.0 completion percentage, which led all teams for the season. Pittsburgh's opponents averaged a 56.7 completion percentage and a 76.7 average quarterback ranking. Both marks not only led the NFL but were the lowest by a Pittsburgh defense since 2011. The Steelers also finished near the top of the League in interceptions (t-1st, 18), takeaways (2nd, 27), games with multiple takeaways (1st, 11) and passes defensed (1st, 84).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing we all know about the preference of Steeler coaching hires.

What's next for the Steelers defense if Keith Butler retires?

... the Steelers don’t hire guys from the outside. And defensive assistant Teryl Austin is right there waiting for the promotion.

Austin interviewed for the TItans DC last year.  I remember he was a hot property and did a quick search assuming this bio was from this year since it came from the Steeler web page, but it quotes stats from last year dated 2020:

... the Steelers don’t hire guys from the outside. And defensive assistant Teryl Austin is right there waiting for the promotion.
Fair enough. I think they took a big step back this year, but being so weak against the run probably affected the secondary too. Also, having one of the best sack rates in the NFL probably helped the secondary a lot. 

Honestly though, I think most of the issues on defense this year were injuries and lack of talent, not scheme. Missing Tuitt and Alualu killed our run defense. Bush, Schobert, Edmunds, and whoever was playing across from Haden were just not good enough this year. The ILBs often hit the wrong gap in the run game and got washed out of plays, Edmunds is frequently out of position or whiffs on tackles, and Sutton and Pierre really struggled at times. Sutton played much better when he was moved to the slot, and Witherspoon performed pretty solid after he got more playing time. 

From the most recent Tomlin comments,  it looks like the putrid Matt Canada will be back as OC. Be prepared for a looooong year of seeing no points again.

From the most recent Tomlin comments,  it looks like the putrid Matt Canada will be back as OC. Be prepared for a looooong year of seeing no points again.
If Tomlin keeps Canada and the offense sucks in 2023 (idgaf about QB situation, I mean the scheme/play calls) then Tomlin deserves to be on the hot seat. I don't care that he hasn't had a losing season, this is our longest playoff win drought in like 50 years. I want AR2 to make it clear that he is responsible for the performance of his OC and not just his defense. The OC for any team as inept as ours in the first half should be fired, the first drive is when the offense should shine because it's all scripted and that's when we fall flat on our faces. This support for Canada seems ridiculous. 

I hope I'm wrong and with different personnel next year the offense becomes a juggernaut. I would happily eat crow if it means that the Steelers are great, but after watching the 2021 season that seems like an impossibility. 

If Tomlin keeps Canada and the offense sucks in 2023 (idgaf about QB situation, I mean the scheme/play calls) then Tomlin deserves to be on the hot seat. I don't care that he hasn't had a losing season, this is our longest playoff win drought in like 50 years. I want AR2 to make it clear that he is responsible for the performance of his OC and not just his defense. The OC for any team as inept as ours in the first half should be fired, the first drive is when the offense should shine because it's all scripted and that's when we fall flat on our faces. This support for Canada seems ridiculous. 

I hope I'm wrong and with different personnel next year the offense becomes a juggernaut. I would happily eat crow if it means that the Steelers are great, but after watching the 2021 season that seems like an impossibility. 
I am more concerned with the on-field personnel.   If they don't drastically improve the on-field talent it doesn't matter who is coaching.

I am more concerned with the on-field personnel.   If they don't drastically improve the on-field talent it doesn't matter who is coaching.
True, but likewise, if they drastically improve the on-field talent but don't improve the coaching then the play won't improve. 

Also appears that they will let Rudolph and Haskins battle it out, with another vet brought in as well.  Doubt they go QB in the draft this year.

Also, appears that they will let Rudolph and Haskins battle it out, with another vet brought in as well.  Doubt they go QB in the draft this year.
I keep seeing posts that the Steelers will draft a QB in the 1st round because if they figure the QB position out they will "be contenders". What? In what world will that make them contenders? I think that if the Steelers had Aaron Rodgers or Watson at QB next year somehow as our 1st round pick and we still got to make the other picks, we still wouldn't be contenders. The O-line is too bad, the Defense is losing pieces and really wasn't great outside Watt, Heyward, and Minkah. Minkah wasn't able to be his best (imo) because he was too busy covering for everyone else on the back end. 

I do think it's possible that within 2 years we could return to being a legitimately great team. I think that's possible if almost everything breaks right for us in the draft and free agency. The Chiefs fixed their O-line in one offseason; that's so freaking rare. If we get lucky this year and next year it might be possible to have a quick turnaround, and we do have the cap space to go after some solid vets. We have some players to build around, but the list isn't really that long: Watt, Heyward (getting older), Minkah, Highsmith, Freiermuth, Najee, Dan Moore, Diontae, Boswell, Long Snapper (he's fine, whoever he is). IMO those are the only players who we can rely on and that don't necessarily need upgrades or replacement. I know that even great teams have points of weakness, but usually it's like 2-3 starters, not 14. Also, I didn't include Claypool because at this point he seems like a WR3, and that's not going to be worth the contract he can probably get in 2 years. This year he was glorified James Washington, except James Washington seemed to make the clutch catches...

I keep seeing posts that the Steelers will draft a QB in the 1st round because if they figure the QB position out they will "be contenders". What? In what world will that make them contenders? I think that if the Steelers had Aaron Rodgers or Watson at QB next year somehow as our 1st round pick and we still got to make the other picks, we still wouldn't be contenders.
I would disagree with this. I don't think its talked about enough how bad Roethlisberger was this season. Like, he was arguably the worst QB in the NFL that wasn't either a rookie, or starting due to injury. Despite this, the Steelers won 9 games and made the playoffs. I'm aware the Steelers have holes, but a good QB(and an excellent HC) masks a lot of them. 

I think the difference between Ben and somebody like Watson or Rodgers is probably 3-4 wins. Hell, even a guy like Cousins is probably 2-3. 

Who knows how good a rookie QB would be, but I think its reasonable to assume it could be both a short and long term upgrade.  

I would disagree with this. I don't think its talked about enough how bad Roethlisberger was this season. Like, he was arguably the worst QB in the NFL that wasn't either a rookie, or starting due to injury. Despite this, the Steelers won 9 games and made the playoffs. I'm aware the Steelers have holes, but a good QB(and an excellent HC) masks a lot of them. 

I think the difference between Ben and somebody like Watson or Rodgers is probably 3-4 wins. Hell, even a guy like Cousins is probably 2-3. 

Who knows how good a rookie QB would be, but I think its reasonable to assume it could be both a short and long term upgrade.  
Roethlisberger was bad, no doubt.  An obvious lack of mobility and inability to connect consistently beyond 5 yards although some of that was due to lack of running game, poor pass protection and head scratching play calling. There was also a surprising amount of miscommunication with his receivers which was on full display in the Chiefs game.  

He did manage to protect the ball for the most part and he did have respectable numbers in the 4th quarter which resulted in some come from behind wins.  I think he led the league in this department although you could certainly make he argument that with a good QB a 4th quarter comeback would not have been necessary.  Still he did get it done late in the game more often than not.

All things considered it was definitely time to move on (maybe a year or two late).   I don't expect good things from Rudolph/ Haskins/Dobbs but the Big Ben era had to come to a close.

Didn’t Rudolph get benched for street QB Duck Hodges two years ago or was that more injury driven?  Honestly can’t remember 

Even as bad as aged Ben has looked I can’t get behind any thought that Rudolph would be even at best a lateral shift in talent.  I don’t see them going for a rookie QB in the 1st and I'd be even more surprised if trade rumors for big name vet became a reality.  Personally in the camp of go after Trubisky as bridge 

Didn’t

Rudolph

get benched for street QB Duck

Hodges

two years ago or was that more injury driven?  Honestly can’t remember 

Even as bad as aged Ben has looked I can’t get behind any thought that

Rudolph

would be even at best a lateral shift in talent.  I don’t see them going for a rookie QB in the 1st and I'd be even more surprised if trade rumors for big name vet became a reality.  Personally in the camp of go after

Trubisky

as bridge 

Maybe Cousins as a bridge?

Didn’t Rudolph get benched for street QB Duck Hodges two years ago or was that more injury driven?  Honestly can’t remember 
I think Rudolph got hurt and was going to miss 1 game and then Duck played way better and fans pleaded to keep him in. After a few games Duck fell apart and was shown to really just have had a great streak and we went back to Rudolph. We've already see what Rudolph is capable of, he's just not a long term answer. 

You might be right. Getting a great QB in the draft would fix a lot of problems (though none of the guys this year appear great). But let's say that we drafted Justin Herbert as he is today (generally considered a top 10 QB), would the Steelers be that much better than the Chargers? Our O-line is terrible, our D-line has 1 star, 2 injured starters, and some scrubs, our ILBs can't stop the run and are liabilities in the passing game, we have 1 starting corner signed for next year, our SS is terrible and a FA, we have 2 WRs signed for next year. I don't think we're that much better than the Chargers and they just missed the playoffs, they're not contending for a Super Bowl.

I'm hopeful that with a full offseason some of our young players can develop and improve to be solid depth or potential starters, but right now I'm only seeing Pierre at CB (let up some long TDs this year), Maulet, Norwood at safety, Dotson and Moore on the O-line, and possibly Loudermilk at DE though he struggled a lot. I think that even if we get a stud QB, we're still at the very least 1 more year away from being true contenders and that's if we are perfect in the draft and free agency. Yes, we beat the Bills in week 1 and this season has shown "any given Sunday" to be true, but it's teams that are able to sustain success that take home the Super Bowl. 

It will be fun here if the Steelers should take a QB #1 and see how the people calling for a bridge QB react (me included).

It is my nature to defer judgement to the Steelers organization but I feel pretty strongly that we need to address the offensive line above everything else.   

It will be fun here if the Steelers should take a QB #1 and see how the people calling for a bridge QB react (me included).

It is my nature to defer judgement to the Steelers organization but I feel pretty strongly that we need to address the offensive line above everything else.   
I can't imagine putting a rookie QB behind this o-line.  That has the potential to set the franchise back years.  A lot of good young QBs have been ruined in this exact situation.

Its hard for the game to "slow down" when your running for your life.

I thought his contract ended this year?
Nope

Cousins came to the Vikings as a free agent in 2018, signing the NFL’s first fully guaranteed contract – a deal worth $84 million over three years. He received a two-year extension with $66 million guaranteed in March 2020, which would keep him with the Vikings through the 2022 season.

At the start of the 2021 league year, Cousins’ $35 million base salary for 2022 became fully guaranteed. Next season, the quarterback carries a $45 million cap charge that accounts for 21.24% of Minnesota’s salary cap.
https://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/31527/why-final-five-games-may-help-determine-kirk-cousins-future-in-minnesota

Users who are viewing this thread