What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (14 Viewers)

Reports coming out confirming what we already knew, "The Steelers will under no circumstances bench Big Ben."
Fowler reported that his source said "Heck no." when asked if benching Ben was on the table. 

So, it's either the Big Ben farewell tour, or he gets hurt and one of the younger QBs start, or he says F it and ignores Matt Canada's play calls and just goes no huddle all the time and wins 5-8 games. 

steelers1080 said:
Reports coming out confirming what we already knew, "The Steelers will under no circumstances bench Big Ben."
Fowler reported that his source said "Heck no." when asked if benching Ben was on the table. 

So, it's either the Big Ben farewell tour, or he gets hurt and one of the younger QBs start, or he says F it and ignores Matt Canada's play calls and just goes no huddle all the time and wins 5-8 games
It is time for this.

The Steelers get absolutely destroyed this Sunday by the Packers, but then the players hold a secret team meeting and rally to go on a winning streak to win the next 5 games in a row. They then split the last 8 games to end the season 10-7, sweeping the Ravens to everyone's delight. 
Still good so far. 

Ben still missed some passes a decent QB makes, but the running game was much improved. 

Still good so far. 

Ben still missed some passes a decent QB makes, but the running game was much improved. 
Fun prediction. Ride it as far as you can.
Agree Ben missed too many passes and should have had multiple interceptions. Lucky. Happy to see Pittsburgh control the clock and commit to the run. That’ll mask some QB deficiencies.

The most frustrating thing about this game was that whenever Ballage or Snell entered the game, they just looked so terrible in comparison to Harris. They would mostly lose yards or drop easy passes that cost us first downs. Really goes to show why they invested a 1st rounder in him, but also shows why using a 1st on a RB is risky, because he came out of the game numerous times, and RB is a riskier position long term. 

Good win today, though the defense which played great for most of the game sure made it an interesting ending 

Thiught Ben played pretty well and the offensive line actually looked competent. 

It sounds like JuJu may be out for a while and Bush got hurt again 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good win today, though the defense which played great for most of the game sure made it an interesting ending 

Thiught Ben played pretty well and the offensive line actually looked competent. 

It sounds like JuJu may be out for a while and Bush got hurt again 
Bush hurt again?  What a shocker. He is turning out to be an awful pick, moving up like they did. Tuitt with his contract even worse. 

Update:  Steelers are expected to put JuJu Smith-Schuster on injured reserve and are fearful he will miss rest of the season after injuring his shoulder vs Broncos, per Gerry Dulac.

Bush hurt again?  What a shocker. He is turning out to be an awful pick, moving up like they did. Tuitt with his contract even worse. 
I mean, he got hurt after making a key sack that helped us win the game... and last week he had a turnover. 

Basically, he's lightning in a bottle. He flashes greatness, but not for extended periods. Looking back at what we gave up to get him, it could have gone better, but there were a ton of busts who we could have ended up with who are much, much worse than Bush. 

I mean, he got hurt after making a key sack that helped us win the game... and last week he had a turnover. 

Basically, he's lightning in a bottle. He flashes greatness, but not for extended periods. Looking back at what we gave up to get him, it could have gone better, but there were a ton of busts who we could have ended up with who are much, much worse than Bush. 
Agreed plus injuries are impossible to predict.   They had a need and made a move to get a playmaker at that position.   Of all the things you could fault the Steelers for, this one seems pretty far down the list.

Seemed like a totally different game plan.  Ran the ball.  Threw slants. Went deep.  Ben under center.  FINALLY.

Harris needs 25-30 touches per game.  

With Juju out, how will they move the WRs around?  Claypool to the slot in 3-wide?

They need to get Freiermuth the ball more.  Wasting the second round talent.  Maybe he gets more routes with Juju out?

Leeroy Jenkins said:
With Juju out, how will they move the WRs around?  Claypool to the slot in 3-wide?

They need to get Freiermuth the ball more.  Wasting the second round talent.  Maybe he gets more routes with Juju out?
I wouldn't be surprised if we had a lot more sets with Diontae, Claypool, Freiermuth, and Ebron. Also, wouldn't be shocked if the Steelers signed/traded for a WR. 

I know it won't happen, but Aiyuk seems to be on the outs in San Fran, if we could trade for him that would be awesome. He plays a similar role to Juju, but younger and faster. 

Re-watching lots of the Broncos game, it's evident why the Steelers didn't re-sign Haden to another extension. He whiffed on a number of tackles and a fair amount of 3rd down completions were had at his expense. Looks like he lost half a step from last year, and CBs can have a quick decline. I think he's still solid, but might be a big liability in a year or 2. 

Re-watching lots of the Broncos game, it's evident why the Steelers didn't re-sign Haden to another extension. He whiffed on a number of tackles and a fair amount of 3rd down completions were had at his expense. Looks like he lost half a step from last year, and CBs can have a quick decline. I think he's still solid, but might be a big liability in a year or 2. 
Agreed

Where is Witherspoon who we traded a 5th for?

Any reason why Texans cut him?  Miller seems to have potential and hasn't played bad, right?  Reading draft scouting reports, he could be a nice slot receiver for the Steelers for a while between Claypool and DJ.

Any reason why Texans cut him?  Miller seems to have potential and hasn't played bad, right?  Reading draft scouting reports, he could be a nice slot receiver for the Steelers for a while between Claypool and DJ.
It seems like he's just underwhelmed wherever he's been, Chicago and Texas. He's JAG at this point. 

Steelers should trade a 7th to the Jets for Denzel Mims. High ceiling, low floor but not used at all by his current team, inactive most games. 

JoeSteeler said:
Why would they lose a comp pick?
It has to do with how comp picks are calculated. He was signed and counted against the compensatory formula, when he was traded to the Steelers, his counting against the formula was traded too, so he would cancel out the 5th rounder they'd get for Matt Feiler. (This is conjecture by people who study Comp Picks, but is not guaranteed)

If he gets cut, do we get the comp pick back?
Not sure, I know that cuts of comp players frees them up again, but there is a cutoff for that. I remember Matakevich got cut one year and cost us a late round pick. 

I've been impressed with moves made.  Melvin Ingram in particular and Anthony Miller was one of the bigger 'names' available.  Can't find fault with that signing even if it costs a late comp pick.  Solid move.

One thing that hasn't been talked about is the lack of sacks from Highsmith.  Sure he's been hurt but he's played in 4 games and nadda.  That is hard to stomach playing opposite TJ considering how he was tear'n-it-up over the last few weeks of 2020. 

He was getting solid camp-buzz and I really thought he'd take off.  Their HAS to be heat coming from the weak-side on a consistent basis for the D to optimally function.  I think if the offense wasn't such an issue that this would have gotten more attention.

Also heard that Tomlin isn't looking at using a high pick on any rookie going forward next year to replace Ben.  He said he WILL go the route of getting a veteran QB.  I was thinking A-Rodgers or even Russell/Deshaun but the names others have mentioned are Derek Carr or Jamies Winston or even Nick Foles.

Discuss.           

I've been impressed with moves made.  Melvin Ingram in particular and Anthony Miller was one of the bigger 'names' available.  Can't find fault with that signing even if it costs a late comp pick.  Solid move.

One thing that hasn't been talked about is the lack of sacks from Highsmith.  Sure he's been hurt but he's played in 4 games and nadda.  That is hard to stomach playing opposite TJ considering how he was tear'n-it-up over the last few weeks of 2020. 

He was getting solid camp-buzz and I really thought he'd take off.  Their HAS to be heat coming from the weak-side on a consistent basis for the D to optimally function.  I think if the offense wasn't such an issue that this would have gotten more attention.

Also heard that Tomlin isn't looking at using a high pick on any rookie going forward next year to replace Ben.  He said he WILL go the route of getting a veteran QB.  I was thinking A-Rodgers or even Russell/Deshaun but the names others have mentioned are Derek Carr or Jamies Winston or even Nick Foles.

Discuss.           
I don't think anyone on the Defense has really played well since Week 1, where they looked elite as a unit, including Highsmith.  Injuries at all 3 levels taking toll on game plan and in-game fatigue I think.

I do not think the Steelers would touch Watson, unless it comes out that this was an elaborate extorsion scam with zero truth to it.  

I think the Steelers would use a high pick on a franchise QB, if one were available.  I am told that they would have traded with the Chargers this season, had Fields fallen to them.  They probably want to see if there is anything to Haskins and give him and Rudolph a chance to compete.  If Rogers or Russ are available, that is a different story, but any other vet next season will be for depth I think.  Carr could be interesting though too.

When the front 4 was completely healthy (Highsmith, Alualu, Heyward, and Watt) they were getting QB pressures like crazy on Allen. Then Alualu and Watt went down to injury, and Highsmith followed up with an injury of his own. From the eye test, when he's been mostly healthy and on the field, I thought he's looked decent. It seemed like he was getting QB pressures, but not necessarily sacks. But stats guys recently have pointed out that QB pressures is the much more consistent gauge by which to judge pass rushers, not sacks. Jarvis Jones lead all college football in sacks, but he was not good at pressuring the QB. Overall, I'll wait to judge until both Watt and Highsmith are fully healthy again. 

Wouldn't surprise me if the Steelers signed a vet QB next year and don't use their 1st on a Rookie QB. The QB class looks very weak. Initial mock drafts have 1 QB in the top 10. I would not expect the Steelers to trade for a QB like Carr who could still be under contract if the Raiders don't cut him. If Wilson or Rodgers is available, a trade could happen, but I don't think the Steelers offer would get accepted. Teams would be more likely to take three 1sts from Miami or Oakland or Houston who are expected to be worse and have higher picks. I don't think the Watson trade would happen due to character concerns unless it was proven to be a bunch of bunk (which doesn't seem likely). 

The starter week 1 next year is probably Rudolph or Haskins. I think the only way this isn't the case is if Ben gets hurt and they start this year and are absolutely terrible. Would not be surprising at all if the Steelers start a mediocre vet next year and then draft a QB in 2023. Also wouldn't be shocking if "the standard is the standard" and we start mediocre vets for the next 3 years, unfortunately. 

Agree with the sentiments of Leeroy and 1080.

While I am not opposed to drafting a QB with next year's #1, I'm not convinced that anyone in this class is franchise caliber.  I am also not opposed to trading or signing a veteran QB but I don't see them giving up the draft picks to get Rodgers, Wilson and definitely not Watson.  I could see someone like Carr if the price was right but is Winston or Foles any better than what they have?

I think the Steelers should concentrate on getting that offensive line up to snuff and adding another playmaker or two on defense.   

I think the Steelers should concentrate on getting that offensive line up to snuff and adding another playmaker or two on defense.   
I think this is one reason they don't go QB in the 1st next year.

Also, Tomlin has never really had to develop a rookie QB with high stakes. Landry Jones and Mason Rudolph weren't 1st or 2nd rounders, and the team knew that Big Ben was going to be the starter and they were just drafting backups. With the "Retool not Rebuild" philosophy that Tomlin repeats over and over, it's not surprising that he doesn't want to have to rebuild the team behind a rookie QB. The rookie class this year is expected to be an excellent one, and they've all struggled mightily in the first 5 games: Mac Jones 2-3, Trevor Lawrence 0-5, Zach Wilson 1-4, Trey Lance 0-1, Fields 2-1 (but he's been mediocre, 29 for 57 and 388 passing yards... in 3 games). If we draft a 1st round QB and start them right away, the odds are that he will not be as good as an average NFL vet. 

Agree with the sentiments of Leeroy and 1080.

While I am not opposed to drafting a QB with next year's #1, I'm not convinced that anyone in this class is franchise caliber.  I am also not opposed to trading or signing a veteran QB but I don't see them giving up the draft picks to get Rodgers, Wilson and definitely not Watson.  I could see someone like Carr if the price was right but is Winston or Foles any better than what they have?

I like the Carr option if the compensation was reasonable.  I think Rodgers and Wilson will be too expensive.  I’d rather go into next year with Haskins than go after someone like Foles or Winston.  Spend the draft picks to build the O-line and defense. And if Haskins flames out in 2022, then look to draft a QB in 2023. 

I like the Carr option if the compensation was reasonable.  I think Rodgers and Wilson will be too expensive.  I’d rather go into next year with Haskins than go after someone like Foles or Winston.  Spend the draft picks to build the O-line and defense. And if Haskins flames out in 2022, then look to draft a QB in 2023. 
I'd rather the Steelers didn't trade anything for Carr, he's owed $20 million and only signed for 1 more year. I don't think he's worth signing to another big contract which we'd have to do to make any trade worth it. He's not a Super Bowl winning QB, he's just meh. He's probably better than Mason or Dwayne, but not by enough to be worth $20 million and a pick or more. 

The upside of Rodgers and Wilson is that they have the talent to lead a team deep in the playoffs, even if the cast around them isn't great. 

I'd rather the Steelers didn't trade anything for Carr, he's owed $20 million and only signed for 1 more year. I don't think he's worth signing to another big contract which we'd have to do to make any trade worth it. He's not a Super Bowl winning QB, he's just meh. He's probably better than Mason or Dwayne, but not by enough to be worth $20 million and a pick or more. 

The upside of Rodgers and Wilson is that they have the talent to lead a team deep in the playoffs, even if the cast around them isn't great. 
I disagree.  I think with a “decent O-line” and our WRs, Carr would be a lot better in Pittsburgh than he is in LV. 

I disagree.  I think with a “decent O-line” and our WRs, Carr would be a lot better in Pittsburgh than he is in LV. 
Why? He had a decent O-line last year and was just ok. He has one of the top TEs in the league, and solid WRs in Ruggs, Renfrow, and Edwards. They have a very solid, if oft injured, back in Jacobs. 

Our O-line is not decent and our offensive play calling has been suspect except when Ben goes no huddle. 

Also, Carr is not typically willing to let WRs go for 50/50 balls, he often has to see a WR open before throwing. Part of the reason people were upset with him in recent years and his refusal to throw deep. He's throwing deep more now, but only when people are wide open. 

I think Carr is probably top 20 in the league, but I'm just not seeing a difference maker who can lead the team that much better than Mason Rudolph. I'm not sure the cost in $$ and picks is worth the improvement, and we could use that money and picks to improve O-line and retain young players like Minkah, Claypool, or Diontae. 

Why? He had a decent O-line last year and was just ok. He has one of the top TEs in the league, and solid WRs in Ruggs, Renfrow, and Edwards. They have a very solid, if oft injured, back in Jacobs. 

Our O-line is not decent and our offensive play calling has been suspect except when Ben goes no huddle. 

Also, Carr is not typically willing to let WRs go for 50/50 balls, he often has to see a WR open before throwing. Part of the reason people were upset with him in recent years and his refusal to throw deep. He's throwing deep more now, but only when people are wide open. 

I think Carr is probably top 20 in the league, but I'm just not seeing a difference maker who can lead the team that much better than Mason Rudolph. I'm not sure the cost in $$ and picks is worth the improvement, and we could use that money and picks to improve O-line and retain young players like Minkah, Claypool, or Diontae. 
Carr is far better than Rudolph.  Rudolph is barely backup QB material.  Our WRs are a significant upgrade to Ruggs, Renfrow, and Edwards and that’s even taking into consideration that JuJu won’t be back next year.  The only place LV has an edge is at TE with Waller.  

Mariota should get a look in my opinion, especially since he'll come cheap. I always thought he deserved another shot after his injury.

Hopefully, the OL can carry some momentum forward. Keeping Ben at about 25 attempts has always been a recipe for success. As Pittsburgh Dad says, keep giving the "Rock To The Naj".

The Steelers #1QBs since 1980 (not just those who started a game):

Bradshaw

Stoudt*

Mark Malone

Bubby Brister

Neil O'Donnell

Jim Miller** forgot he was initially named starter for the season -- for 1 game.

Mike Tomczak

Kordell

Kent Graham (does this count?)

Tommy Maddox

Big Ben

They are NOT drafting a rookie to take over and start.  There will be a veteran holdover until the right guy is available and he still will sit.

They are NOT drafting a rookie to take over and start.  There will be a veteran holdover until the right guy is available and he still will sit.
100% agree. Mason and Dwayne are only signed for 1 more season (restricted FA for Haskins). That would tend to the support the idea of draft a QB and let them sit a year; or, if there isn't a franchise QB available this year, the Steelers could sign a QB for the next 3-4 years to wait for a better QB draft. 

Mariota was one of the others mentioned.
At this point, I'd probably be more inclined to go into a post-Ben season with Mariotta and Haskins than I would with Carr and Rudolph.  Not sure what that says about any of them other than  "JFC, anyone have Bubby Brister's number handy?"

QB is going to a be a problem for a year or two, most likely.  They just need to steel themselves(seewutIdidthere?) for it.

Kordell looks like a HoF on that list
As a WR, maybe.  Ain't nobody realistic being mentioned who I'd really care to see them hitch their wagon to. 

Rodgers/Russ?  Sure, sign me up.  Better line up a bunch of guys to get cut/re-structured to make someone like that work while still having a team around them, though.

Can any of you Yinzers kindly let me know your opinion on the D and if you see them shaping back into form? I know they were ravaged by injuries earlier in the year and Ben is putting them in terrible spots, but I’m wondering how you see the unit performing down the stretch here.

Can any of you Yinzers kindly let me know your opinion on the D and if you see them shaping back into form? I know they were ravaged by injuries earlier in the year and Ben is putting them in terrible spots, but I’m wondering how you see the unit performing down the stretch here.

The injuries have been pretty devastating but they are getting healthier.   Sutton and Bush both practiced in full yesterday as did Watt & Highsmith who both played last week but were not all that effective so hopefully they'll be closer to 100% this week.

Alualu broke his ankle week 2 and was placed on IR/Return list but probably wouldn't be in game shape until week 10 or longer if he returns at all.  Stephen Tuitt has been on the IR/Return list and it seemed unlikely he would be playing this season a few weeks ago but he was with the team on Friday, supposedly looking to be in pretty good shape.   Either one of these guys coming back would be huge.

Fortunately for the Steelers they have a bye week 7 which comes at a time they really need it.  If they can get and stay healthy after the bye they should be a pretty solid defense in the second half of the season.  They have some tasty matchups in week 9 & 10 but the schedule gets tougher as the season goes on:

SEA, bye, @CLV, CHI, DET, @LAC, @CIN, BAL, @MIN, TEN, @KC, CLV

Wednesday Practice report:

QB Ben Roethlisberger    Pectoral/Hip        DNP
LB Melvin Ingram III    Not Injury Related    DNP
G  Trai Turner        Not Injury Related    DNP
WR Chase Claypool    Hamstring        LP
WR James Washington    Groin            LP
DT Carlos Davis        Knee            LP
DT Cameron Heyward    Neck            LP
CB Cameron Sutton    Groin            FP
LB Devin Bush        Groin            FP

Witherspoon a DNP - Coaches Decision.  What is up with this guy?
He's not performing better than the people we already have on the team. Wonder if the Steelers are trying to move him for a 7th and don't want to risk him getting hurt. 

Otherwise, cut him and hope we still get that 5th round comp pick for Feiler. Suck cost fallacy and whatnot. 

Users who are viewing this thread