What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (5 Viewers)

🙄

Yeah, it was a joke... That said, I do think that Austin is much more talented and should offer way more upside than Ray Ray did. 
Well, fwiw, that one probably shouldn't make the cut for your tight five. ;)

Austin is certainly a better pure receiver than McCloud was coming out of college, and it isn't particularly close.  Not a lot of doubt about that. 

You can argue McCloud was the superior returner in the NCAA, but I thinks that's a secondary item where Austin's concerned anyway.  I think they drafted him because they think he'll be able to contribute 11-on-11, not because they think he's a "teams" only asset.

So do we cut that dude we signed from the Pats??
Possibly at the end of camp, but I imagine it will be a competition. I think Austin makes the team either way, and if his return practices aren't better than Gunner then we keep both with Gunner as 6th WR and ST. I think he'd replace our 4th RB. 

Diontae, Claypool, Pickens, Austin, Boykin, Gunner - Najee, MacFarland, and Snell or Edmunds. Probably Snell since the ST usage is replaced by the additional WR. 

I don't know if the offensive line s going to hold up but whoever wins the starting QB is going to have some pretty good weapons to throw to.

Steelers officially declined Bush's 5th year option, a move I think we all saw coming. 

I would still not be shocked if he gets a 2nd contract. Another year out from the ACL with a stronger partner in the middle of the field and a better D-line this year. He could improve a lot over last year and be worth a 2nd contract. 

I don't know if the offensive line s going to hold up but whoever wins the starting QB is going to have some pretty good weapons to throw to.
Najee, Freiermuth, Diontae, Pickens, Claypool, Austin, Gentry (jk); it's not a bad skill position corps. Every team has weak points, it's hard to argue that this team is worse than last year's. Last year's team faced the toughest schedule and still made the playoffs...

Already got in my bets on Steelers over 7.5 wins. 

Najee, Freiermuth, Diontae, Pickens, Claypool, Austin, Gentry (jk); it's not a bad skill position corps. Every team has weak points, it's hard to argue that this team is worse than last year's. Last year's team faced the toughest schedule and still made the playoffs...

Already got in my bets on Steelers over 7.5 wins. 
This team is much better than last year. I expect at least 10 wins.

It wasn't fully his fault, but Ben probably provided the worst QB play in the NFL last year. Really almost has to be better. If Tuitt comes back the D should be miles ahead of last year. I think the receiver/TE group should play better. The Oline should be average, which is a massive improvement from last year.

Don't know if this was already asked but I wonder why the Steelers drafted Oladokun over Strong? 
Reports on Strong right after the Combine were that his knee looked fine(recall at least a couple team doctors being publicly quoted about that. Rams, etc.), although I'm sure it still was an issue for some, but he allegedly flunked the interviews with multiple teams in Indy and came off "very immature" (take that to mean whatever you will).  Guy can throw darts on a dime, so even if teams thought his knee was going to explode the arm talent alone should have got him picked late.  That kind of makes me assume that there's probably something to all the "flunked interviews" stuff.

Even if Strong aced his meetings with Pittsburgh though, I'm guessing Oladokun would have likely been preferred anyway just due to Canada's offense(his full offense, not the stuff they ran with Ben;  lots more RPO, moving pockets, etc.  Not really Strong's bag, bay-bee.)

Last edited by a moderator:
5-ish Finkle said:
Reports on Strong right after the Combine were that his knee looked fine(recall at least a couple team doctors being publicly quoted about that. Rams, etc.), although I'm sure it still was an issue for some, but he allegedly flunked the interviews with multiple teams in Indy and came off "very immature" (take that to mean whatever you will).  Guy can throw darts on a dime, so even if teams thought his knee was going to explode the arm talent alone should have got him picked late.  That kind of makes me assume that there's probably something to all the "flunked interviews" stuff.

Even if Strong aced his meetings with Pittsburgh though, I'm guessing Oladokun would have likely been preferred anyway just due to Canada's offense(his full offense, not the stuff they ran with Ben;  lots more RPO, moving pockets, etc.  Not really Strong's bag, bay-bee.)
I wasn't able to find any interview reports, everything I saw was concerns that the knee issues are degenerative and that he's a significant medical risk. Similar to why Justyn Ross went undrafted. If he came out of school after his freshman year, he might have been a 1st round pick. Kind of sad the Steelers didn't take him over Oladokun. 3 WRs in one draft would have been a lot, but his upside is immense if he can fully rebound from his neck issue. 

I still wish we figured out how to use/keep him last year!
I thought it was ironic that we let Ingram go just because he wanted to go meanwhile the Chiefs are slapping tags on him to block him from being able to leave without them having a say.

I was a fan of the "we want volunteers not hostages" line and all when Tomlin first said it but it's not exactly the way I want to see the franchise run.

Justin Houston and Ryan Kerrigan are out there still.
Houston got tagged by Ravens so if anyone signs him then they get a comp pick, no thanks.

I would go for Kerrigan, he'd be a rotational pass rusher but he could definitely provide value at the right price, especially if he was the #3. 

Houston got tagged by Ravens so if anyone signs him then they get a comp pick, no thanks.

I would go for Kerrigan, he'd be a rotational pass rusher but he could definitely provide value at the right price, especially if he was the #3. 
Kerrigan sorta looked like a smacked ### last year though.  He may have just bottomed out.  It happens.

Yeah, if Houston is tagged then screw that.

Just need a rotational guy that won't look out of place if Watt or Highsmith miss a few games.
Yep.   Someone who  isnt a complete liability versus the run would be nice, but it is absolutely secondary at that position.  They need that third guy that can rush passer. 

Their defense relies way too heavily on pressure to "only have two guys" at Edge who have that in the tool kit.  It really does suck that Ingram wasn't happy with his role, because he was basically perfect for it.

I am intrigued by Calvin Austin III.  I could not find any information that reflects him being related to former Rams 1st rd (2013 8th overall) pick Tavon Austin who was also a speedy WR of diminutive size.

Calvin seems more explosive based on combine results. 

Moving into the 2nd round of interviews, the Steelers are interviewing "Ryan Cowden, the Titans vice president of player personnel, and Buccaneers vice president of player personnel John Spytek".

I still think it's:

• 50% Brandon Hunt
  • 30% Omar Khan
  • 20% Field
Could be wrong, but I think they want a continuation of culture. If they go outside the organization I'd expect Hunt and Khan to leave even if it's a lateral move. If we could get great new GM and keep Khan and Hunt that would probably be best case scenario, to bring in new ideas while maintaining our internal talent, but that might be a hard pill to swallow. 

Moving into the 2nd round of interviews, the Steelers are interviewing "Ryan Cowden, the Titans vice president of player personnel, and Buccaneers vice president of player personnel John Spytek".

I still think it's:

• 50% Brandon Hunt
  • 30% Omar Khan
  • 20% Field
Could be wrong, but I think they want a continuation of culture. If they go outside the organization I'd expect Hunt and Khan to leave even if it's a lateral move. If we could get great new GM and keep Khan and Hunt that would probably be best case scenario, to bring in new ideas while maintaining our internal talent, but that might be a hard pill to swallow. 

I think Andy Weidl is the favorite.  

I think Andy Weidl is the favorite.  
Just personally or you saw that reported somewhere?

It was reported that Colbert recommended Weidl to Rooney for the 1st round of interviews, but it was then reported that he had recommended all of the candidates interviewed so that wasn't particularly newsworthy. The only report I've seen in the last 2 years was that Hunt is the assumed protégé of Colbert and that's why Khan has been interviewing elsewhere (partly). 

Just personally or you saw that reported somewhere?

It was reported that Colbert recommended Weidl to Rooney for the 1st round of interviews, but it was then reported that he had recommended all of the candidates interviewed so that wasn't particularly newsworthy. The only report I've seen in the last 2 years was that Hunt is the assumed protégé of Colbert and that's why Khan has been interviewing elsewhere (partly). 

Personally, but also here in Philly people are assuming he is gone it seems.  

The only place I've seen Weidl being reported as the favorite is by Gerry dulac... who was also who was reporting the loudest that there was no way the Steelers were going to take a quarterback in the first round last week. :)

Weidl makes some sense if they went outside the org though: Scouting background, moved into Player Personnel Director positions, has local ties.  Similar in that regard to Colbert.   Seeing where he was an intern for them 100 years ago too.

I still assume that this job is Hunt's.  Between he and Omar, he is the one that has the scouting background and western PA ties which has pretty much been the gimmick for all of their GMs back to, like, **** Haley. 

Khan gets a new, fancier title("Asst. GM and VP of Football Ops" or something, with a raise) if he stays. 

The only place I've seen Weidl being reported as the favorite is by Gerry dulac... who was also who was reporting the loudest that there was no way the Steelers were going to take a quarterback in the first round last week. :)

Weidl makes some sense if they went outside the org though: Scouting background, moved into Player Personnel Director positions, has local ties.  Similar in that regard to Colbert.   Seeing where he was an intern for them 100 years ago too.

I still assume that this job is Hunt's.  Between he and Omar, he is the one that has the scouting background and western PA ties which has pretty much been the gimmick for all of their GMs back to, like, **** Haley. 

Khan gets a new, fancier title("Asst. GM and VP of Football Ops" or something, with a raise) if he stays. 

In Dulac's defense, my understanding is the Steelers had no intention on taking a QB in the first round until just a day or two before the draft. 

Brandon Hunt interviewing with Eagles for high front office job. Wonder if he's preparing in case he's not the pick for GM. Also, don't think we'd get a compensatory pick unless he's hired for GM. Would really freakin suck if he left for Eagles, was there for 1 year, then got hired as a GM by someone else...

The Steelers apparently have the lowest road miles this year, and 0 games on the West Coast, or even Central time-zone. Pretty happy with that!

Our games will be located in Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Buffalo, Charlotte, Indianapolis, Miami, and Philly. 

The Steelers apparently have the lowest road miles this year, and 0 games on the West Coast, or even Central time-zone. Pretty happy with that!

Our games will be located in Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Buffalo, Charlotte, Indianapolis, Miami, and Philly. 

That's crazy. Never leaving your own time zone is huge IMO.

Seattle travels the most with 29,446 miles

Steelers as you mentioned travel the least, with 6,442 miles.

Don't know if this was already asked but I wonder why the Steelers drafted Oladokun over Strong? 
Just saw this and to add to it I just heard Michael Lombardi on a podcast after the draft say he had an impeccable source tell him the Steeler's were going to draft Strong and draft him high. Say's he has know idea what happened, kept saying his source was outstanding on Steeler information but then added that's why you can't believe anything before the draft.

Just saw this and to add to it I just heard Michael Lombardi on a podcast after the draft say he had an impeccable source tell him the Steeler's were going to draft Strong and draft him high. Say's he has know idea what happened, kept saying his source was outstanding on Steeler information but then added that's why you can't believe anything before the draft.
"April is the month of lies."

Steelers sign a few players after tryouts, including a slot WR and DE. Both have positive buzz coming out of the rookie camp, but there's a reason they weren't drafted. 

They cut Rico Bussey and John Simon, a little surprised by the Simon cut but I wonder if Robinson is intended to take that camp spot. 

Hunt and Khan have reportedly had their 2nd round of interviews for the GM position. Wonder if there's a timeline for when the Steelers expect to make the announcement. OTAs start soon, I wonder if the Steelers will try to make the announcement before the end of OTAs so the GM can get in-house and start being involved in personnel decisions. 

Have you guys seen/heard anything on Xavier Gaines during rookie camp? He’s a dark horse for sure. There’s not much out there on him…

Users who are viewing this thread