What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (3 Viewers)

Daniel Jeremiah had him at #24

Pickett has ideal size, athleticism and accuracy for the position. He has a lot of twitch in his lower half, which shows up in his ability to avoid defenders inside the pocket or escape to make plays. He has a quick release and incorporates a variety of arm angles. He doesn't have elite velocity, but makes up for it with outstanding anticipation. He has quick eyes to get to his third progression. His accuracy is generally exquisite, but there are occasions when his eyes are faster than his feet, which affects his ball placement. He is very poised and comfortable throwing on the move. He doesn't panic and he delivers strikes. He has solid speed and elusiveness as a runner. There will be talk about his hand size and throwing with a glove -- neither topic concerns me. Overall, Pickett is kind of a more athletic Matt Hasselbeck.

Hopefully I am wrong. I just don’t like that according to what I am hearing, the football people didn’t have a qb there, but Rooney wanted one. Having said that, the football guys had Pickett as their top qb. 
Don’t get me wrong Leeroy, I’m not in love with the pick but they didn’t mortgage the future with the pick.

That’s what I was worried about.

Don’t get me wrong Leeroy, I’m not in love with the pick but they didn’t mortgage the future with the pick.

That’s what I was worried about.
Thats the one thing i feel good about.  No trade up.

I dont think Pickett is total garbage....the pick just smacks of "panic"/pandering/drafting with your #### instead of your brain.

Its done though.  Hopefully he winds up the next "Insert Awesome QB Name Here" and not the next Andy Dalton.   On to round 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
:towelwave:  

Pickett!

As I have been writing in his thread for a while now...

Posted March 9

17-5 as the starter in Pittsburgh the last 2 seasons...we are talking the Pittsburgh Panthers college football team, not exactly the strongest program in the country the last 2 or 3 decades despite Arron Donald being a HoF player from there, I do remember a kid in '83 that went late 1st round and was routinely bad mouthed and we saw how that story turned out, was the guy's name Dan Marinara or something like that?

I think Pickett is one of the better QBs to gamble on late 1st/early 2nd this year.

Posted April 6th

If I were to show you a QB's Junior Year and it says 3,000 yds, 37 TD, 23 Int...and then his Senior Year he drops to 2,500 yds passing, 17 TD and the same 23 Interceptions, you would say that person is having issues with strong processing tendencies wouldn't you? It looks easy when you pick apart those stats, right?

Pickett went from 2,400 yds, 13 TD and 9 Int in 2020, then last year he throws for 4,300 yds, 42 TD! and just 7 Int, what part of the processing is this guy getting wrong exactly? I think some folks think too highly of their personal opinions that are being quoted by Bloom. 

Pickett went from about 60% completion to over 67% last year, how is not described any other way than accurate when you factor in the iNterceptions? I'm not berating anyone, just seems like we need to ask questions and get clarity since some of you have a negative opinion about the guy's future, seems a little off base or not rooted in factual data. 

BTW: That guy I used as an example in the first paragraph, you may have heard of him, his name was Dan Marino and I believe he went to Pittsburgh in the early 80s, had quite a career for the Miami Dolphins. 

-MoP thinks you all pulled off quite a coup tonight. I hope next year Miami can get their local hometown boy, Tyler Van Dyke from UM, whatever it takes to get him. 

-i like the selection and maybe he can learn for a few weeks and watch Mitch run things. He doesn't have to take the first snap in Week 1. 

This could set us back 7 years. 
I try hard in Team Threads which often turn into #####fests yet I try not to rebuke the fans of the team because they bleed the colors and they have a lot of passion but 7 years? 😆

I think you'll eventually appreciate the selection. 

Biggest needs that i see for the Steelers are their OL specifically OT and then Secondary after QB. Would you have preferred them wait until 52 and take 3rd or 4th QB off the board? Would Corral at 52 been another way to go?

52 and 84, what would be your plans? 

Tackle-I like Rainmann a lot

DB-Pitre from Baylor can play Safety and also plays Slot very effectively. He will be gone possibly before Pitt picks at 52, at 84 they might find Kerby Joseph from Illinois. 

I just keep coming back to nobody wanted a QB. None on the board. Then Rooney said he wanted one. Feels like a Dan Snyder move and making up for passing on Dan Marino. 

Media wont report this, but that is what happened. Tomlin doesn’t even seem excited on the call to him. 

It’s ironic. They probably don’t take a qb if Haskins is alive. His death moved qb up the priority list. And the interference is similar to how Haskins was picked in Washington. 

I just keep coming back to nobody wanted a QB. None on the board. Then Rooney said he wanted one. Feels like a Dan Snyder move and making up for passing on Dan Marino. 

Media wont report this, but that is what happened. Tomlin doesn’t even seem excited on the call to him. 

I know you have your sources but I don't buy it.  

I definitely could be very wrong, but I think Mitch is a lot more likely to be a quality starter.
Pickett does seem a lot like Mac Jones, solid guy, adequate starter but uninspiring.  

This is pretty much my ideal draft. I think he'll be gone in the first 40 picks, but if Pickens in there at 52 that would be my ideal. Idk about those 2 7th round guys, but they're 7th round fliers and we need a RB and more WRs. Pickens reminds me of Juju where early in his career everyone raved about him, and then for reasons (QB issues / Injuries) they didn't maintain their high stock, but his talent when healthy is legit. 

The rumors and "news" is flying furiously at this point, the first round seems like the biggest crapshoot it's been in ages. I think the Steelers first round pick is Davis if he makes it past the Vikings/Ravens/Eagles, then Hamilton, then Willis. If they're all gone, then Pickett, Georgia LB or Daxton Hill. I don't think the Steelers trade up past 12, and if they do trade up past 17 I think it's for a defensive player. If they trade up to 17 or 18 I think it's for a QB. 

Also, would not be shocked if top 2 CBs, Hamilton, Davis, 2-3 WRs, etc are gone at 20 and we trade down, maybe with KC for their 1st and 2nd so KC can move up for a WR and we will get a player at 29 with similar value to what we'd get at 20. IMO Pickett is there at 29 if we don't take him at 20...

"If they're all gone, then Pickett" 

Nice call. 🙂🏻

Not at all.  But I think we have a real competition potentially.  Willis would have sat, period.
Exactly. The thing with Pickett is he doesn’t need to sit. Run that offense through Najee. I just don’t see any real upside with him. There’s a really good chance Pittsburgh finishes 4th in their division the majority of Pickett’s career as a starter.  

Not being snarky, but is it really a given Pickett beats out Trubisky? 

Are these the same scouts that felt Baker Mayfield was the #1 player in the 2018 draft?

Yup, the ones who put Mayfield and Darnold over Allen and Rosen over LJax.

With the influx of QBs and QBs playing late into their 30s I personally see the pendulum swinging.  I suspect there's talent being overlooked after being rushed in to start or playing for bad coaches.  

Exactly. The thing with Pickett is he doesn’t need to sit. Run that offense through Najee. I just don’t see any real upside with him. There’s a really good chance Pittsburgh finishes 4th in their division the majority of Pickett’s career as a starter.  
I am as lukewarm on the Pickett selection as anyone but I think it is a bit premature to speculate where the Steelers are going to finish before the guy even takes his first snap in practice.

Not being snarky, but is it really a given Pickett beats out Trubisky? 
Starting with Aaron Rodgers, there have only been a handful (3 or 4 including Rodgers out of dozens and dozens taken in the 1st) that were not named the starter during their rookie season.

He will eventually be named the starter at some point his rookie season.

If he doesn't eventually beat out Trubisky as the starter...

Lots of other questions because he better win the starter job.  I believe the majority of 1st round QBs were named starter by the 3rd game so that is the standard grace period.  

Three games to win the starting job.

Like it or don't, Kenny Pickett is your #1 pick.   Who do you want at #52?   

I like Leal there.  I have mocked him at 52 several times.  I think we need D-Line help now and the near future.  Will help the LBs too.

Otherwise I like Pickens and Sky Moore -- though I think we can get a good WR in the 3rd or 4th too.

Brisker at SS or Faalele at OT would be fine by me as well.

Cross in the 3rd (if no Brisker in second).

Some players I like at 52..not sure any will be there though.

Skyy Moore

Travis Jones

Jalen Pitre

Kyler Gordon

Jaquan Brisker

Christian Watson

Darian Kinnard

Nakobe Dean

Please no Pickens. 

Godsbrother said:
Okay but they traded their best receiver, not that he was that great, but you need someone to throw to right?
Bateman is going to pop off this season, book it. They'll grab another WR as well, and they already have a top 3 TE.

They grabbed Hamilton at #14, which is an outright steal, and they get a plug and play C who can be a dominant one.

Bateman is going to pop off this season, book it. They'll grab another WR as well, and they already have a top 3 TE.

They grabbed Hamilton at #14, which is an outright steal, and they get a plug and play C who can be a dominant one.
Oh don't get me wrong, I like Baltimore's draft much more than I do the Steelers but it would have taken some serious draft capital to get Hamilton and the Steelers have much bigger needs than center.

I don't think Hollywood is all that but he was their #1 wide receiver last year.  You may be right that Bateman or an as yet to be drafted WR will fill the void.

Im ready to move past my ambivalence about Pickett for the moment, but can we stop with the Marino comparison BS in this(now a third, at minimum) thread?  Just because a guy sniffed a locker where Dan Marino's jockstrap once hung does not impart him with mystical abilities.

Kenny Pickett is an okay QB prospect with a tendancy to hang on to the ball too long.  Behind their 2021 OL, thats going to be a challenging playstyle.  Hoping the new guys they've brought in will help rectify that, but if the OL play is as sieve-like as last year Pickett's going to need to make reads quicker.

As for the pick at 52, there are still wide receivers left I really like...but not anyone that I couldn't live without, especially since I'm not sure there aren't similar types that might be available in the third.

Same with safety. Do I like Brisker/Pitre? Sure. Better than Cook in the third? Ehhh....

They have got to do something to addresses run defense, and they can't wait until around 5 to do it.  That is where I would be leaning.

I have 2 questions 

1. Will Pickett really be starting out of the gate? (Topic title accuracy check) 

2. who in SF dynasty will be brave enough to draft Pickett in the 1st?

Users who are viewing this thread