What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (13 Viewers)

Yeah I don't see the Steelers paying the price to trade up to top 10 to get their future QB. Unfortunately. It sounds like the general assumption is that they will bring Ben back. So he and Rudolph are likely on their last year with team. If that's the case do they wait until 2022 to address QB or try to move up to get a guy like Mac Jones who may be around at 15-20?  Or possibly trade a high pick for Sam Darnold and unload Rudolph for a late pick? I'm hoping they don't just band-aid QB in 2021 and they address the position for short and long-term.

I doubt 10 is high enough. I don't think they can reasonably even trade up to 10. I would think that would take at least 1st, 3rd and next years 1st.
Maybe, I think Fields would be a stretch to fall out of the top 10 (he does have recent negative buzz), but I wouldn't be surprised if Lance goes in the 2nd half of the first round. He only played 1 game this year, and 1 other full season. And he didn't look that great as a passer in the game this year. 

Also, we're potentially getting 2 Comp 3rd round picks next year for Juju and Dupree, and possibly something for several other players, the Steelers could definitely make a move if they're sold on a QB (or TE, holding out irrational hope for Kyle Pitts).

Personally, I think it's much more likely that we stand at 24 and take BPA since we have so many positions of need. OT is looking possible with Cosmi, Leatherwood, and Darrisaw being talked about. With the state of our run defense, and possibly losing Alualu, Barmore could definitely plug up the middle. But spending a 1st on a 2 down player might not be the best move. 

I caught a bit of Gerry Dulac on the radio yesterday.  He was saying that Canada has not been named OC for two reasons:  1) they need to interview minority candidates and 2) they want to interview offensive line coach candidates to make sure a good match between the two.

He went on to say that Canada may indeed become the new OC but the call on that was premature and it is not a done deal.  

I did read today they plan on talking to Hank Fraley for the OL coaching position.  

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/report-steelers-to-interview-hank-fraley-for-o-line-coach-vacancy/

Butler officially resigned on a 1-year deal. Butler was the next man up with **** LeBeau left, is Olsavsky the next man up after Butler leaves? He's been with the Steelers for 10 years. Or do they go outside the organization? 

Way too early mock draft that won't come true because all of these players will move up. Used several big boards/mock drafts to try to not make any ridiculous reaches. Coming away with OT, C, RB, WR, CB with the first 5 picks would be an ideal scenario for me (if there's no QB the FO loves). 

• 1. Alex Leatherwood - OT - Bama
  • 2. Landon Dickerson - C - Bama
  • 3. Kenneth Gainwell - RB - Memphis
  • 4. Elijah Moore - WR - Ole Miss (Slot)
  • 4. Shemar Jean-Charles - CB - Appalachian State

Steelers interview Hue Jackson for OC

Browns fans already having fun in the replies but Hue would be a solid pick as OC - just keep him away from the fax machine on trade deadline day.

He's had that power grab instinct in thr pass but Tomlin is a perfect guy for him to serve under as that kind of stuff won't happen there.

-QG

Though it starts to edge the Steelers into Mike Brown/Father Flanagan territory kicking the tires on Haskins in very reasonable for them to do based on the QB situation and the fact that really aren't ideally positioned to address it.

-QG

Browns fans already having fun in the replies but Hue would be a solid pick as OC - just keep him away from the fax machine on trade deadline day.

He's had that power grab instinct in thr pass but Tomlin is a perfect guy for him to serve under as that kind of stuff won't happen there.

-QG
I could be wrong but my guess is this is to satisfy the requirements of interviewing minority candidates for the vacant OC job.

Maybe the Steelers haven't hired an OC yet because they are still figuring out their QB situation? Going to be a fun offseason!

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean he can't be worse than Mason Rudolph and Josha Dobbs.  But he currently doesn't have the maturity to be a replacement either.  Not sure who that teacher is going to be.  Quite a few knuckleheads on this team that thinks going to a strip club after leading your team to a crucial loss is A-OK

I think that if Ben and Pouncey retire, that they will promote Canada to OC; draft o-line, RB, and ILB in the first three rounds and let Mason start next season as a "prove-it" year.  If he sucks, we get at top 10 pick in 2022 for a new QB.

Having said that, apparently Haskins has started following all of the Steelers on IG just within the last week or so.  Perhaps he is brought in as a flyer/competition.  

They need to figure out a way to not waste Watt, Bush, and Fitz.  

This really was our year -- how we got treated with Covid scheduling and just too many injuries killed the season.

I mean he can't be worse than Mason Rudolph and Josha Dobbs.  
Actually he is. Complete garbage. And the problem isn't his arm (not that he was ever overly accurate) but its between the ears. Immature and just never seemed to process things quick enough in the pocket. I have the upmost respect for the Steelers coaches (especially your WR coach) but I don't think Haskins can be fixed. 

Steelers signed Dwayne Haskins to a one-year deal. 

The team signed Haskins after meeting with him Thursday. The 23-year-old quarterback will look to reestablish himself in Pittsburgh after a horrific two-year run in Washington that ended with Haskins losing his captain spot after violating COVID-19 protocols by attending a maskless party. Haskins certainly isn't a lock to be on the Steelers' 53-man roster to start the 2021 season, and we'd expect the team to add other QB options with Ben Roethlisberger entering the twilight of his career.

- Adam Schefter

Hue Jackson and Dwayne Haskins aren't the most confidence-inspiring names to be hearing.  Were Adam Gase and Johnny Manziel unavailable?
Hue was a horrendous head coach, but he has had top Offenses in the past, that's why he kept getting chances at OC. I still wouldn't like it, but it's not as bad as his run in Cleveland would make it seem. 

And the Haskins signing, not a fan. I think it could definitely work out if they can somehow get him to grow up in a few months, but I doubt that's possible. Some people just mature faster than others and he showed he's not ready. Maskless strip club while head coach has cancer, not great decision making. If the Steelers can somehow get him to focus on football and learn a damn playbook, he does have the physical skills. But I doubt this works out. 

Also, I hope they cut Haskins if they draft a QB early. I'd rather he learned from Rudolph than Haskins...

Actually he is. Complete garbage. And the problem isn't his arm (not that he was ever overly accurate) but its between the ears. Immature and just never seemed to process things quick enough in the pocket. I have the upmost respect for the Steelers coaches (especially your WR coach) but I don't think Haskins can be fixed. 
I agree 100%. My only thought was that somehow Tomlin kept AB in line for all those years, maybe the Vets and Tomlin could convince Haskins that this is the last stop and he needs to focus on football if he wants to succeed. Hopefully it was a minimum contract, and if he's not showing a desire to throw himself into training and the playbook, cut him. 

Something about beggars and choosers and law of supply/demand.

First no shot to draft a blue-chip prospect at #24.

---------------------

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout

Legitimate starting QB prospects (my rank): Lawrence (#1 overall) Wilson (#7) Lance (#11) Fields (#12) Trask (#35) Jones (#45)

Yep.

Marcus Mosher@Marcus_Mosher

I really think we are going to see four quarterbacks drafted inside the top-8 picks and five in the top-15.

----------------------------------

Free agents w/starting exp: Dak Prescott (franchise tag) Jacoby Brissett Mitchell Trubisky Tyrod Taylor Andy Dalton Cam Newton Jameis Winston

-----------------------

Next, demand is high.

-----------------------

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout Jan 20

Supply vs. Demand at the QB position is always insane, but this year is absolutely wild. A thread.

• Teams that may replace starting QB: Jets Panthers Broncos 49ers Rams
  • Teams that need a starter within 1-2 years due to age or play: Jaguars Falcons Lions Patriots Washington Chicago Colts Steelers Saints Buccaneers
Ross Tucker@RossTuckerNFL

Teams with legitimate quarterback questions for 2021: -NO -PIT -IND -LAR -MIA? -CHI -NE -WASH -DAL? -SF -CAR -DEN -DET -PHI -HOU -NYJ -JAX? 17!

More than half the league has some level of uncertainty.

That might be a record.

---------------------------------

You can quickly see how the draftable quarterbacks will be gone very early in Round 1.

The connection of need vs. available talent will leave multiple teams without good options at the position.

I don't think any of us are sold on Haskins but I really don't see a huge downside in signing him to what is most likely a non-guaranteed 1 year deal.   

You can always cut him without penalty any time in the offseason and up to week 1 if he acts up or looks like garbage.  He certainly has the tools you look for and maybe he wises up.  If not, move on.

I think one of Haskins' big issues was that he "went home" when the WFC drafted him. Not sure if Pitt is far enough away to offset those influences. 

QuizGuy66 said:

-QG
Dude leaks everything to the press. He’s a huge POS. I couldn’t imagine a worse hire in the twilight of Ben’s career.

Weird thread, I’m not going to quote everyone.

1) Haskins is not low risk, he’s a no risk signing. It’s a futures contract. I don’t care how horrible you think he is, Rudolph is horrible. Any competition for at least Rudolph is a good thing.

2) If the NFL has Mac Jones as a 2nd round QB, Pitt is in fine shape for a QB at 24. As long as it’s not Trask or if somehow Jaime Newman makes a late play for round 1 territory. Mac Jones is legit. People can scream about his weapons all day I don’t care. He had worse weapons than Tua had and did more. He’s better than Tua to me and I would love to have him as the heir to Ben.

3) No ####### Hue Jackson. 🤮 Just ####### no. Not only will he leak everything to our press Mary Kay Cabot will be puking up her nonsense to the Cleveland press. Just stay away from that cancerous #####. He’s awful, everyone in the entire Cleveland org already knows it. We don’t need Todd Haley 2.0. Go coach high school Hue, you’ve worn out your welcome.

1) Haskins is not low risk, he’s a no risk signing. It’s a futures contract. I don’t care how horrible you think he is, Rudolph is horrible. Any competition for at least Rudolph is a good thing.
Apparently if he does well for us, we can tender him with an original round tender after 2021 and any team that signs him would have to give us a 1st round pick in 2022. I doubt we get him to show enough for that to happen, but it means that we basically have him for 2 years for close to the minimum. 

Also, Pep was the guy I wanted us to at least talk to! Excited about that and hope we get the chance to interview him, I think the Chargers can turn it down. He's shown an ability to be innovative in the past (as an XFL head coach, still counts?). He didn't do amazing in Indy back in the day, but it looks like he's improved since then. And his ability to help craft Herbert bodes well for our need to mold a young QB in the next few years. 

Lastly, there's an advantage to hiring a minority OC with the new NFL rules. If he's awesome and stays, great for us. If he's awesome and gets hired to be a HC, we get 2 3rd round picks, still solid for us. 

Oh man, Rumor Mill swirling again. Rodgers said his future is uncertain, and reporters are already saying the Steelers might trade for him. 

It's getting ridiculous. We're not getting Aaron Rodgers, his contract and draft cost are too high for what we can afford. 

We're either rolling out Big Ben, Mason Rudolph, or a Rookie next year. 

Also, saw a mock with Kyle Pitts going Pick 25, right after we take a guard. If that happens I'll lose my god****ed mind. We haven't had a stud TE since Heath left, and he was never a burner. Pitts would add a ridiculous talent just as we lose Juju. It won't happen, he's almost certainly a top 10 pick, but it would kill me if he fell past us at 24. 

Nick Farabaugh@FarabaughFB

• Center is the top need on this team if Pouncey is gone. Landon Dickerson, Creed Humphrey, and Josh Myers are the 3 to watch. Good bet one of them becomes a Steeler.
Gerry Dulac@gerrydulac

• Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey has told teammates he is likely retiring after 11 seasons. Barring a change of heart, could be making a decision soon, per sources.

Yep it sounds like Pouncey is gone but I don't think they will take a center in the first round. I could see them pulling the trigger on Myers in the 2nd though.

I do have to laugh at the idea of Aaron Rodgers coming to Pittsburgh.  I hear we might be getting Derrick Henry and Travis Kelce too  :P

• Center is the top need on this team if Pouncey is gone. Landon Dickerson, Creed Humphrey, and Josh Myers are the 3 to watch. Good bet one of them becomes a Steeler.
Gerry Dulac@gerrydulac

• Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey has told teammates he is likely retiring after 11 seasons. Barring a change of heart, could be making a decision soon, per sources.
Definitely a serious need, but not the top need. OT in 1 and C in 2 is probably what the Steelers should do. What they choose to do is anybody's guess. 

Canada officially the OC. In my mind this means Ben is coming back, and that there will be more jet sweeps next season. Also, hopefully, more passing when a jet sweep happens, because we ran the ball 100% of the time when Claypool swept across. I'm hoping that is a result of Fichtner poorly implementing parts of Canada's scheme. 

Mark Madden also stirring up trouble. I believe about 10% of what he says, but allegedly Watt was not happy with regards to his exit interview. I wouldn't be surprised if he was unhappy with how the season ended, but I would be surprised if he acted unprofessionally. 

Also, Madden stated that Omar Khan was informed that he's not next in line to take over from Colbert. At this point that seems like a given since he's been interviewing with other teams for years, and Hunt is apparently the most likely replacement (as reported by Ed Bouchette). 

Canada officially the OC. In my mind this means Ben is coming back, and that there will be more jet sweeps next season. Also, hopefully, more passing when a jet sweep happens, because we ran the ball 100% of the time when Claypool swept across. I'm hoping that is a result of Fichtner poorly implementing parts of Canada's scheme. 
Who other than Ben?  I mean honestly you're stuck which means the OC is limited by what he does well which isn't throwing the deep ball with any sort of consistency which is why Claypool was hit-and-miss and a lot of misses for the guy running the deep routes.

Ju-Ju benefited the most but he's likely gone so I have to figure Claypool will get a crack of a lot more of the intermediate routes that went to Ju-Ju.

The guy who will continue to clean up is...

------------------------------------------------------

Diontae Johnson is about to go nuclear in this Matt Canada offense. Couldn’t pick a better skillset than his for the Canada offense overall.

Mark Madden also stirring up trouble. I believe about 10% of what he says, but allegedly Watt was not happy with regards to his exit interview. I wouldn't be surprised if he was unhappy with how the season ended, but I would be surprised if he acted unprofessionally. 

Also, Madden stated that Omar Khan was informed that he's not next in line to take over from Colbert. At this point that seems like a given since he's been interviewing with other teams for years, and Hunt is apparently the most likely replacement (as reported by Ed Bouchette). 
TJ Watt's response to Mark Madden:

"Would love to hear who Mark’s sources are. They certainly can’t be myself, Coach T, Kevin Colbert or Coach Butler. All of whom I met with during exit interviews, prior to packing my own things after a hard fought season trying to give everything I have for the city of Pittsburgh."

As we have said in previous Steelers threads,  Mark Madden might know hockey and the Pittsburgh Penguins but he is a horrible source of info on the Steelers.  

Bracie Smathers said:
Who other than Ben? 
A rookie or Mason Rudolph. Using a QB other than Ben would not improve our team next year (or even maintain the level of quality most likely). The point would be to essentially dump the cap space, not push it into the future, bite the bullet and move on. It's going to suck when Ben leaves, the odds of us finding another franchise QB in the next 10 years is very small. But this team is at at the precipice of a whole new era, and I'd rather take the leap sooner than later. 

Ben is a HOFer and has lead us to many successful seasons, but after this year (even with the 11-0 streak) I don't think he can get us to a Super Bowl win. If that's the case, it's time to start the cycle again. Build up the defense and offensive line, get a QB on a cheap contract, and try to make a push with a QB on a rookie contract. 

We have hardly any players signed through 2022 and 2023, and our cap space opens up after the 2021 season. We have some major signings that will be coming up in the next few years including Watt, Minkah, and Bush, and our team is about to see a lot of turnover in the next 3 years.

We tried to keep the team together right after the Super Bowl in 2010 and entered cap hell for the next 10 years. We kept some talent longer than we should have, and we haven't been back to the Super Bowl since. I'm hopeful that building around a core of defensive players that we can work to get back to the Super Bowl. 

Moving on from Ben is not going to improve us in the near term, and we could enter a new era of mediocre QBs that lasts much longer than we'd like, but I think that holding on too long would be worse than moving on a bit early. 

Rudolph or the fifth or sixth rated QB from this year's draft class is a prayer not a plan.

Too many teams are looking, I don't see any option other than Ben.
With that defense, an upgraded o-line and better running back I think the Steelers could maybe compete with Ben in 2021 but they have a brutal, brutal schedule.  And keeping Ben will come at a price because if they want to retain some of their defensive players they'll have to reduce Ben's $40 million cap hit and that would mean yet another extension.

The alternative, as steelers1080 laid out, is to roll with Rudolph (or some inexpensive FA), bite the bullet and take our lumps in 2021.  If they can keep the defense mostly intact, and draft well in 2021 and 2022 there is no reason the team must wallow in mediocrity for years (although that is certainly a possibility).   

With that defense, an upgraded o-line and better running back I think the Steelers could maybe compete with Ben in 2021 but they have a brutal, brutal schedule.  And keeping Ben will come at a price because if they want to retain some of their defensive players they'll have to reduce Ben's $40 million cap hit and that would mean yet another extension.

The alternative, as steelers1080 laid out, is to roll with Rudolph (or some inexpensive FA), bite the bullet and take our lumps in 2021.  If they can keep the defense mostly intact, and draft well in 2021 and 2022 there is no reason the team must wallow in mediocrity for years (although that is certainly a possibility).  
Agree with this but what are the odds Pittsburgh cut Ben? The only hope for success in the next few years is cutting Ben and I find it highly unlikely.

Any way to add a pole? My questions would be do the Steelers cut or keep Ben? Next question would be, do YOU think they should cut or keep Ben?

Agree with this but what are the odds Pittsburgh cut Ben? The only hope for success in the next few years is cutting Ben and I find it highly unlikely.

Any way to add a pole? My questions would be do the Steelers cut or keep Ben? Next question would be, do YOU think they should cut or keep Ben?
I don't think the Steelers will cut Ben nor do I think that he would play for another team at this point in his career.  I am guessing of course but if they truly want to move on they will ask him to retire and I think he would do so.  

If it came to a black/white pole on cutting and keeping my answers would be

1)  They will not cut him

2)  They should keep him

I just don't think you can cut Ben.   If it means having him fulfilling his last year on his contract you hope for the best in 2021 and know that you'll be in a much better cap position in 2022 and also have a large number of compensatory picks since a lot of good players will likely be lost this offseason.

Users who are viewing this thread