What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (6 Viewers)

With that defense, an upgraded o-line and better running back I think the Steelers could maybe compete with Ben in 2021 but they have a brutal, brutal schedule.  And keeping Ben will come at a price because if they want to retain some of their defensive players they'll have to reduce Ben's $40 million cap hit and that would mean yet another extension.

The alternative, as steelers1080 laid out, is to roll with Rudolph (or some inexpensive FA), bite the bullet and take our lumps in 2021.  If they can keep the defense mostly intact, and draft well in 2021 and 2022 there is no reason the team must wallow in mediocrity for years (although that is certainly a possibility).   
agreed, but they could maybe compete with Rudolph.  they competed two years ago with a more unprepared Rudolph and Hodges.

Rudolph can likely improve some.  Ben won't.  Ben deciding not to try to fall on that fumble was very telling and disturbing. i've never seen him decline to compete before.

so, hopefully, he will join his buddies McDonald and Pouncey and leave with dignity.  if not, it's time to rip the band-aid off and cut him.  see what you have in Rudolph and, if need be, Haskins.  if they are lacking, (likely), address QB the following year with better resources to do so.

if Colbert won't, or can't (because of Rooney), cut Ben, might be time for him to leave with dignity as well. (and i like Colbert, Rooney and Ben)

If Ben stays at his current salary, then nobody gets signed at all for 2021 in cap hell. If he's extended, now you're taking a cap hit for next year, and possibly beyond, when in fact, you should be saving room for the players who they will probably want to sign in the next 2 years including Tuitt, TJ, Minkah, DJ, and Bush. Keeping Ben means one or more of these guys walk, and the rebuild takes a hit. I would rather keep any of those over a rapidly declining Ben. It's time to rip off the Band-Aid now, and get ready for the 2022 off season. Bridge the QB situation with MR and DH. At the very least, some semblance of a deep game will return for next season.

Agree with this but what are the odds Pittsburgh cut Ben? The only hope for success in the next few years is cutting Ben and I find it highly unlikely.

Any way to add a poll? My questions would be do the Steelers cut or keep Ben? Next question would be, do YOU think they should cut or keep Ben?
Odds they ask Ben to retire: 10%. Only reason it's not 0% is because they did it with Polamalu. I think they should move on from Ben if they can't manage to contain his cap hit to next year. If they have to push his money into future years to make it work, I'd rather move on and finally get out from under the cap hell we've been in for around 10 years. If they can find a way to keep his entire hit in 2021, and still make the moves they want to, then I'm fine with keeping him (though I do think it's just one last hurrah, and not a push towards a Super Bowl). 

As Godsbrother mentioned above, our opponents for next year:

• Baltimore Ravens (11-5)
  • Cincinnati Bengals (4-11-1)
  • Cleveland Browns (11-5)
  • Buffalo Bills (13-3)
  • Chicago Bears (8-8)
  • Denver Broncos (5-11)
  • Detroit Lions (5-11)
  • Green Bay Packers (13-3)
  • Kansas City Chiefs (14-2)
  • Las Vegas Raiders (8-8)
  • Los Angeles Chargers (7-9)
  • Minnesota Vikings (7-9)
  • Tennessee Titans (11-5)
With the other teams within our division improving, and Herbert and Burrow having another year under their belt, it doesn't seem likely that we get 11+ wins next year. We often drop 1-2 games to lesser teams each year, and we're playing some of the best teams in the league next year; 3 of the 4 championship teams (Bills, Chiefs, & Packers). With Big Ben he definitely offers the opportunity to win any game; but it just feels like he comes up short more often than not in recent years, throwing a back breaking pick or starting too slowly to catch up with many 3 and outs to start a game. The Colts game this year felt like an outlier, not the norm. With each of the 11-0 wins, it felt like you had to be on the edge of your seat the entire game, even against poor teams, because there was no confidence that our team could hold on to a lead. 

Between Ravens, Browns, Bengals, Packers, Chiefs, Bills, Chargers, Titans, and a handful of scrubs, it just feels like a 9-7 year next year. Probably just pessimism taking over after a crappy loss, but it feels like if we're going to have a mediocre year, then lets just move forward and attempt to set up future success instead of enjoying one last gasp. 

Ravens getting two 3rd round picks since the Texans hired their assistant coach to be head coach... damnit. 
Hard to believe that no one wanted Fichtner...

Of course if it were the Steelers I would not be complaining but getting two 3rd round picks seems a little excessive IMO.

crushedspirit said:
Tomlin's coaching tree is virtually non-existent.  Fichtner won't be promoted anytime soon.
Yeah, we don't hire from outside, so there's not much turnover in our staff. LeBeau and Butler have had top tier defenses but never garnered much HC interest. It's definitely possible that Canada becomes a HC if he does well as our OC over the next few years. But, AFAIK, Canada isn't a minority hire, so we wouldn't get any picks. That was the double advantage if we went with Pep. If he does well, awesome; if he does well enough to get hired as a HC somewhere, still benefits the Steelers. 

“I don’t want to go too far down that road because we have a lot of discussions internally and with Ben. Salary cap and Ben’s contract is a big factor in where we go. That’s as much as I can say,” Rooney said, via Brooke Pryor of ESPN.
So, at least the team is acknowledging the issue. There's been talk of an extension with voidable years, but I'm not 100% sure on how that works. Like if the most we could reduce is from $41 million down to $22 million + signing bonus/whatever years are added, or if we could reduce the hit even further. 

Right now it sounds like Ben being with the team next year is still up in the air, but that there's a potential middle ground if both sides compromise. 

So, at least the team is acknowledging the issue. There's been talk of an extension with voidable years, but I'm not 100% sure on how that works. Like if the most we could reduce is from $41 million down to $22 million + signing bonus/whatever years are added, or if we could reduce the hit even further. 

Right now it sounds like Ben being with the team next year is still up in the air, but that there's a potential middle ground if both sides compromise. 
He is 100% coming back and doing a restructure. The question is whether  Pouncey is too

Ben doesn't care about Salary?

Ben Roethlisberger wants to return to Steelers, doesn't care about 2021 salary

Liz Roscher

Updated Thu, January 28, 2021, 4:35 PM

Since the Pittsburgh Steelers were eliminated from the playoffs in the wild-card round on Jan. 10, we haven’t heard from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger about what his plans are for next season. On Thursday, we got our first news about his future.

In a Zoom call with the media, Steelers president Art Rooney II revealed that Roethlisberger wants to come back next season. Roethlisberger later confirmed that, and then he went even further: he’s willing to restructure his salary so the Steelers can welcome him back and field a competitive team at the same time.

Liz Roscher

Since the Pittsburgh Steelers were eliminated from the playoffs in the wild-card round on Jan. 10, we haven’t heard from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger about what his plans are for next season. On Thursday, we got our first news about his future.

In a Zoom call with the media, Steelers president Art Rooney II revealed that Roethlisberger wants to come back next season. Roethlisberger later confirmed that, and then he went even further: he’s willing to restructure his salary so the Steelers can welcome him back and field a competitive team at the same time.
He isn't taking a paycut, as the headline alludes to. They will convert his salary to a bonus so he will get all of the money up front, and then spread it out over a few years to lessen his cap hit this year.

I honestly don't know what to think. I don't believe we will compete for the SB this season, especially with a tough division and schedule, along with so many holes to fill with FAs leaving, and would rather just take the entire hit this season to clear him of the books, assuming this is his last season. Seeing Woodley's dead money a full 2 seasons after he was gone still haunts me.

On the other hand, if he intends to continue playing even after this season, then I am for it. I am not necessarily saying I agree with him continuing to play, but if that is his intention, then yes spread out the cap hit.

Liz Roscher

"Doesn't care about 2021 salary"-my-###. Pushing money into 2022 is not the same as a pay cut. If he doesn't care about his salary, agree to a pay cut of $19 million to open up cap space. This just means he's willing to restructure and push money into the future. No crap he's willing to do that, if he's cut he loses $19 million. The only takeaway from this article is that it sounds like Ben wants to come back. I'll believe it when I see it that he "doesn't care about the money". If he takes a pay cut for 2021 I'll be beyond shocked. 

The question is whether  Pouncey is too
The bad snap against the Browns wasn't his only one, just the most costly one this year. And his blocking has been poor for 2 years. If he comes back our O-line will have to work harder to cover for him than if we just replaced him. Thank you for your amazing years of play Pouncey, but it's time to retire. 

Ben wants him back because they're very close, not because he's still a top tier center. His cap hit is so far and away above his current talent level. Harsh, but honest. 

His signing bonus proration cannot be reduced, and stands at $22.5 mil for 2021. Will Ben agree to spread out his $15 mil roster bonus plus 4$ mil base salary? I'm curious to see how low him and his agent would go. As for Pouncey, that's a joke, no thanks.

Leatherwood apparently wasn't great in Senior Bowl practices, frequently losing 1 on 1's and not showing great leverage. Not sure how much this will move his stock in the draft. 

Some of the other prospects people are tying to the Steelers via Mocks:

• Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa (1st) - Won Nagurski award for best defender, but expected to clock high 4.7's. Projects to be OLB in NFL, not sure 1st round need with Highsmith looking good last year. 
  • Teven Jenkins, OT, Ok St (1st and 3rd)- Mocked to us in the 1st round, and 3rd round. People don't seem sure where he'll go. Solid OT, but probably not a value in the 1st. 
  • Javonte Williams, RB, UNC (2nd) - Very talented RB. Often mocked to us in the 2nd. If he ends up being a complete gamechanger that's a solid pick, but we have lots of needs and RBs don't last as long as other positions. 
  • Landon Dickerson, C, Bama (2nd) - Seen mocked several times to us in the 2nd. I'm a fan of his because he seems like an excellent leader who can re-anchor our O-Line, but he's not as athletic as some other prospects. Also, gets hurt a lot.
  • Christian Darrisaw, OT, V Tech (1st) - Very athletic with a relentless motor, also raw. High upside prospect that is frequently mocked going before our 1st pick. 
  • Najee Harris, RB, Bama (1st) - This was a popular mock pick in the 1st after the Championship, but in the last week or so the frequency that I've seen this pick has fallen off. I'm not a huge fan of taking a RB in the 1st when we have so many needs, but since RBs don't last long there is some logic to having a 5th year option since the odds of a 2nd contract are small. 
  • Sam Cosmi, OT, Texas (1st) - OTs are a popular pick with Big Al leaving. Cosmi is another prospect considered raw but very talented. 
  • Jamie Newman, QB, Georgia/Wake Forest (2nd) - He sat out of 2020 due to COVID, which I completely understand, but his performance at the Senior Bowl practices and game did not impress. The general consensus was poor accuracy and decision making at times that lead to 4 picks in practice and 1 during the game, and that his TD was more the WR making a play than a good throw. He was mocked to us in the 2nd before the Senior Bowl, if we can get him with our 2nd pick in the 4th round I'd be more ok with it. We need to take at least 1 QB in the draft, and he could be a good value at this point if he can turn things around. 
  • Kenny Gainwell, RB, Memphis (3rd) - Big fan of this pick. He's lightning on the field and was the reason Antonio Gibson saw hardly any snaps at RB while he was there. Would be a great value in the 3rd compared to one of the other RBs in the 1st or 2nd, IMO. 

Leatherwood apparently wasn't great in Senior Bowl practices, frequently losing 1 on 1's and not showing great leverage. Not sure how much this will move his stock in the draft. 

Some of the other prospects people are tying to the Steelers via Mocks:

• Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa (1st) - Won Nagurski award for best defender, but expected to clock high 4.7's. Projects to be OLB in NFL, not sure 1st round need with Highsmith looking good last year. 
  • Teven Jenkins, OT, Ok St (1st and 3rd)- Mocked to us in the 1st round, and 3rd round. People don't seem sure where he'll go. Solid OT, but probably not a value in the 1st. 
  • Javonte Williams, RB, UNC (2nd) - Very talented RB. Often mocked to us in the 2nd. If he ends up being a complete gamechanger that's a solid pick, but we have lots of needs and RBs don't last as long as other positions. 
  • Landon Dickerson, C, Bama (2nd) - Seen mocked several times to us in the 2nd. I'm a fan of his because he seems like an excellent leader who can re-anchor our O-Line, but he's not as athletic as some other prospects. Also, gets hurt a lot.
  • Christian Darrisaw, OT, V Tech (1st) - Very athletic with a relentless motor, also raw. High upside prospect that is frequently mocked going before our 1st pick. 
  • Najee Harris, RB, Bama (1st) - This was a popular mock pick in the 1st after the Championship, but in the last week or so the frequency that I've seen this pick has fallen off. I'm not a huge fan of taking a RB in the 1st when we have so many needs, but since RBs don't last long there is some logic to having a 5th year option since the odds of a 2nd contract are small. 
  • Sam Cosmi, OT, Texas (1st) - OTs are a popular pick with Big Al leaving. Cosmi is another prospect considered raw but very talented. 
  • Jamie Newman, QB, Georgia/Wake Forest (2nd) - He sat out of 2020 due to COVID, which I completely understand, but his performance at the Senior Bowl practices and game did not impress. The general consensus was poor accuracy and decision making at times that lead to 4 picks in practice and 1 during the game, and that his TD was more the WR making a play than a good throw. He was mocked to us in the 2nd before the Senior Bowl, if we can get him with our 2nd pick in the 4th round I'd be more ok with it. We need to take at least 1 QB in the draft, and he could be a good value at this point if he can turn things around. 
  • Kenny Gainwell, RB, Memphis (3rd) - Big fan of this pick. He's lightning on the field and was the reason Antonio Gibson saw hardly any snaps at RB while he was there. Would be a great value in the 3rd compared to one of the other RBs in the 1st or 2nd, IMO. 
Never liked them picking Leatherwood. He always had issues against speed rushers, and senior bowl practices showed that weakness again.

1st Rd Tackles,

• Slater (should be gone before)
  • Darrisaw (might be gone, but if not, take and forget)
  • Jenkins 
  • Cosmi
There are no RB's worth first round IMHO. If any of these Tackles are gone, or someone drops that can't be passed, then Liam Eichenberg becomes a must in the second round.

2nd and 3rd Rd,

• Javonte Williams (RB)
  • Landon Dickerson (Center)
  • Creed Humphrey (Center)     
  • Jabril Cox (ILB)     
Now if they miss one of those Centers, then I'm okay with taking Drake Jackson later, or even Josh Myers.                                                                                                                                         

If they somehow go CB in the 1st or 2nd I think that a Trade or Cut of Haden or Nelson is imminent. That said, we've had a terrible track record for early CBs and Safeties recently (Justin Layne, Edmunds, Sutton has worked out, Artie Burns, Sean Davis, Golson), just a lot of not great players. Minkah is obviously excellent, but that wasn't our pick...

I think we'd be better off resigning Sutton and Hilton and cutting Nelson, but that's just my opinion. I assume that if we draft a CB, they'll stink. 

“I had multiple players on other teams tell me that (the Steelers' offense) was the easiest offense to prepare for in the NFL." - @AKinkhabwala
Why Steelers fans wanted to replace Fichtner...

The Texans have leaked their initial asking price: two 1sts, two 2nds, and two young defensive starters for Watson. 

I don't think we can meet the threshold. We have so many holes to fill and will need our 1sts and 2nds, and I wouldn't want to give up Watt, Minkah, or Bush, and I don't think Edmunds and Buggs are gonna cut it. Seems like Watson is destined for Miami, unless the Jets can work Darnold into that mix somehow. Maybe 1st, 1st, 2nd, Darnold for Watson? Idk what exactly it would take. 

With Easterby in charge who knows what this trade ends up looking like, but it does seem like Watson will be on the move. I'd rather he goes NFC, but that's just because I'd want to decrease our chances of playing him. Watson on the 49ers would make them Super Bowl contenders again. 

I always thought Watson was going for three firsts and a pro bowl player at minimum. I still believe only Miami and the Jets have that draft stock to make it happen. People forget in 2009 Cutler went for Orton, a third, and two firsts. Watson is easily a top 5 QB, and on a friendly contract. Price will be high, and Texans are in the driver's seat.

The Texans have leaked their initial asking price: two 1sts, two 2nds, and two young defensive starters for Watson. 

I don't think we can meet the threshold. We have so many holes to fill and will need our 1sts and 2nds, and I wouldn't want to give up Watt, Minkah, or Bush, and I don't think Edmunds and Buggs are gonna cut it. Seems like Watson is destined for Miami, unless the Jets can work Darnold into that mix somehow. Maybe 1st, 1st, 2nd, Darnold for Watson? Idk what exactly it would take. 

With Easterby in charge who knows what this trade ends up looking like, but it does seem like Watson will be on the move. I'd rather he goes NFC, but that's just because I'd want to decrease our chances of playing him. Watson on the 49ers would make them Super Bowl contenders again. 
Of course you give up Minkah, Bush and the picks for Watson. The latter will be a franchise QB for 10+ years. I absolutely don’t see it happening though.

Of course you give up Minkah, Bush and the picks for Watson. The latter will be a franchise QB for 10+ years. I absolutely don’t see it happening though.
initial asking price: two 1sts, two 2nds, and two young defensive starters for Watson
I know Pittsburgh fans don't believe it but that package with low-in-the-round picks is dirt cheap for a 25 year old QB of Watson's caliber.  

I don't think its enough for Houston but that is one shabby run organization.  Hopefully someone comes up with a better package with higher picks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they somehow go CB in the 1st or 2nd I think that a Trade or Cut of Haden or Nelson is imminent. That said, we've had a terrible track record for early CBs and Safeties recently (Justin Layne, Edmunds, Sutton has worked out, Artie Burns, Sean Davis, Golson), just a lot of not great players. Minkah is obviously excellent, but that wasn't our pick...

I think we'd be better off resigning Sutton and Hilton and cutting Nelson, but that's just my opinion. I assume that if we draft a CB, they'll stink. 
Cut Haden for sure since the money saved for an aging vet is critical. I would try to re-sign Hilton, re-sign Sutton, and extend Nelson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking on the Ben situation.  His cap hit this year is $41.25 million and the Steelers are on record as saying that is not workable.  Supposedly Ben "doesn't care" about the money and just wants to come back next season.

Taking him at his word what do you guys think of this proposal that I read a few days ago:

So what’s the answer? Is there any way that Steelers can save a little bit more without kicking the can too far down the road?

The $22.25 million dead cap hit is going to be applied to the 2021 salary cap regardless. The decisions the Steelers have to make will be in regards to the other $19 million Roethlisberger is set to make this season.

Of course, should Roethlisberger retire or be released, there’s the $19 million. But there is also another option. If the Steelers extend Roethlisberger for a couple more seasons, it could lighten his cap number for 2021 in what seems to be a crucial ‘cap crunch’ year for the entire NFL.

If I were trying to do a deal with Roethlisberger and work an extension, I would offer him an extra $0.5 million which would be paid in 2021 in order to extend him for two more years. Rather than $19 million, I would ultimately play Roethlisberger $19.5 million, $1.5 of which would be his base salary and $18 million would be his signing bonus. This would lower the Steelers 2020 cap number by $11.5 million and get Roethlisberger under the $30 million salary cap hit for this year. It would also put $6 million of dead money in each of the next two years for the Steelers.

Of course, they would have to offer Roethlisberger a base salary in the next two seasons, which I would do around the same range as he would be making this season of $19 million. This number is not something I’m worried about getting into at this point because the Steelers can work that out and whichever way they want. Should Roethlisberger then retire following the 2021 season, he would just count $12 million in dead money against the cap which is certainly to go up for 2022. If he were to play again in 2022, his cap hit would be significantly lower at around $25 million if he were to make a $19 million base salary/roster bonus.

crushedspirit said:
He seems to have support from current and ex-Steelers. People point out that he was in charge of coaching up the rookies, and Dotson looked excellent in his playing time, so that gives me hope at least. We'll be having a lot of new O-Linemen in the next 2 years, so he'll have plenty of opportunity to mold young talent. Overall, it's a key position that I know very little about. I don't know who they should have gone after, but Ramon Foster and Trai Essex both gave their seals of approval. As did young Steelers O-Linemen. 

crushedspirit said:
Cut Haden for sure since the money saved for an aging vet is critical. I would try to re-sign Hilton, re-sign Sutton, and extend Nelson.
Nelson was great 2 years ago and mediocre last year. At this point I'd rather extend Haden with an out after 2022, and Trade Nelson. 

He seems to have support from current and ex-Steelers. People point out that he was in charge of coaching up the rookies, and Dotson looked excellent in his playing time, so that gives me hope at least. We'll be having a lot of new O-Linemen in the next 2 years, so he'll have plenty of opportunity to mold young talent. Overall, it's a key position that I know very little about. I don't know who they should have gone after, but Ramon Foster and Trai Essex both gave their seals of approval. As did young Steelers O-Linemen. 

Nelson was great 2 years ago and mediocre last year. At this point I'd rather extend Haden with an out after 2022, and Trade Nelson. 
If I remember correctly players were also in support of Sarret being promoted, and we all saw how that worked out. I'm not sure Klemm is the right guy as well,

https://www.dailynews.com/2019/05/30/jim-mora-adrian-klemm-ucla-staff-bullied-injured-players-lawsuits-allege/

Also, UCLA's rankings when he was the run game coordinator from 2012 to 2016 were abysmal, (34th to 127th). I guess time will tell. 

If I remember correctly players were also in support of Sarret being promoted, and we all saw how that worked out. I'm not sure Klemm is the right guy as well,

https://www.dailynews.com/2019/05/30/jim-mora-adrian-klemm-ucla-staff-bullied-injured-players-lawsuits-allege/

Also, UCLA's rankings when he was the run game coordinator from 2012 to 2016 were abysmal, (34th to 127th). I guess time will tell. 
Dang, didn't know about that. I had heard about his work at UCLA, but just that they rated very highly for Run Blocking and Pass Blocking, not about the lawsuits, or how their team overall fared. Doesn't look great, but I agree, time will tell. If he tries to force a player to play with a concussion now, I hope he's fire immediately. 

Dang, didn't know about that. I had heard about his work at UCLA, but just that they rated very highly for Run Blocking and Pass Blocking, not about the lawsuits, or how their team overall fared. Doesn't look great, but I agree, time will tell. If he tries to force a player to play with a concussion now, I hope he's fire immediately. 
He's not someone the Steelers typically hire, especially with controversy in tow. I was hoping for Campen, but he bolted for LA. 

Wentz trade talk is heating up, I'm guessing the Steelers will be thrown around, but I'm not sure he's worth the cost at this point. Obviously if he can return to MVP form, it'd be worth the $$ and picks, but if this season is the new normal, he's not worth much. 

Wentz trade talk is heating up, I'm guessing the Steelers will be thrown around, but I'm not sure he's worth the cost at this point. Obviously if he can return to MVP form, it'd be worth the $$ and picks, but if this season is the new normal, he's not worth much. 
Wouldn't touch him. What I saw last season was a QB who couldn't make any throw outside the hash marks. He continually floated passes over everyone, including simple wheel routes. His issues go way beyond just not making plays. He needs to re program himself, starting with getting back to basic throwing mechanics.

Kordell published a pretty good article. Fairly good timing too as we start to return to a murky QB future. Aside from just enjoying his recollections on this wild incident my main take away is that there's a reasonable way to act when you aren't sure your QB is a long term fit and heartless way to lash out at them.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/kordell-stewart-nfl-football-pittsburgh-steelers
I remember the rumors in Pittsburgh back then.  It was a dirty lie and a terrible thing to do to a good guy and a decent QB.  Not great but certainly better than a lot of Steelers fans give him credit for.  

Kordell was always a class act and it is a shame that he doesn't come around here very often but I don't blame him at all. Pittsburgh is a great city but just like everywhere else in the US we have our share of racists and idiots.

Godsbrother said:
I remember the rumors in Pittsburgh back then.  It was a dirty lie and a terrible thing to do to a good guy and a decent QB.  Not great but certainly better than a lot of Steelers fans give him credit for.  

Kordell was always a class act and it is a shame that he doesn't come around here very often but I don't blame him at all. Pittsburgh is a great city but just like everywhere else in the US we have our share of racists and idiots.
There were Cowher cheating on his wife/divorce rumors at that time too.  Weird times.

Rumors that Steelers are interested in Aaron Jones. Thanks, but no thanks. We're not 1 RB away from a Championship run, especially with how many Free Agents we're expected not to resign. We don't need to be tying up serious cap space in an RB. Also, Aaron Jones is 26 years old. He most likely only has 2-3 more years of prime RB production remaining, and who knows what our QB situation will look like over that time. With how many needs we have, going significant RB in FA or going with a 1st round RB pick, just seems like a bad idea. 

I don't deny that RB is a significant issue, but I'd rather spend a pick than spend our precious cap space. 

Rumors that Steelers are interested in Aaron Jones. Thanks, but no thanks. We're not 1 RB away from a Championship run, especially with how many Free Agents we're expected not to resign. We don't need to be tying up serious cap space in an RB. Also, Aaron Jones is 26 years old. He most likely only has 2-3 more years of prime RB production remaining, and who knows what our QB situation will look like over that time. With how many needs we have, going significant RB in FA or going with a 1st round RB pick, just seems like a bad idea. 

I don't deny that RB is a significant issue, but I'd rather spend a pick than spend our precious cap space. 
Agreed.  They need to solidify the offensive line before worrying about RB.  Don't get me wrong, they will need someone better than what they currently have on their roster but spending money on a high profile RB with an offensive line that can't make a push or create a hole is a fool's errand.

Agreed.  They need to solidify the offensive line before worrying about RB.  Don't get me wrong, they will need someone better than what they currently have on their roster but spending money on a high profile RB with an offensive line that can't make a push or create a hole is a fool's errand.
I'm holding out hope for Kenny Gainwell in the 3rd. He's electric. We'd still probably need a short yardage back though, because Snell has proven time and time again he can't get 1 yard when we need it. 

As far as Steelers draft rumors/mocks, I've seen more and more talk of an LB in the first. Not sure if that's due to any news out of Pitt, or just because the Steelers love drafting LBs. It's almost split 40%/40% OT or LB (ILB or OLB). The last 20% is people projecting RB or QB. 

The OTs most often projected now are Teven Jenkins (Who I've seen mocked in the 1st and 3rd, not much consensus), Sam Cosmi, or Alex Leatherwood. 

This seems like the perfect year to trade down if we can, we have needs at OT, LB, and WR in a class that seems fairly deep at those positions. 

So Ben is supposed to meet with the Steelers to discuss his future.  Whatever happens it seems certain to occur before March 17 because that's the beginning of the new league year and Ben's $41 million cap hit kicks in, putting the Steelers way over the cap.

I think it is unlikely that Ben will retire.  He's already said he would like to come back and after watching Brady win a Super Bowl at 43 he probably thinks he can still do it. (Note: I am not comparing Ben to Brady, I am just speculating on what might be going through Ben's mind)

I also think there is little chance the Steelers would cut Ben.  Financially it makes sense:  they would save $19 million in the cap in 2021 while taking a one-time dead money hit of $22 million but then they would be free and clear and in a much better position for 2022.  However having Ben's Steeler career end that way is not something that neither he nor the team wants to see.

The most likely scenario is Ben's contract will be restructured and extended to lessen the cap hit for 2021 and clearing the way for him to end his career in Pittsburgh, whether it be for one or two more seasons.

Whatever they do with Ben there are other decisions that need to be made before March 17 in order to be in compliance with the cap.  Should be an interesting 4 weeks.

So Ben is supposed to meet with the Steelers to discuss his future.  Whatever happens it seems certain to occur before March 17 because that's the beginning of the new league year and Ben's $41 million cap hit kicks in, putting the Steelers way over the cap.

I think it is unlikely that Ben will retire.  He's already said he would like to come back and after watching Brady win a Super Bowl at 43 he probably thinks he can still do it. (Note: I am not comparing Ben to Brady, I am just speculating on what might be going through Ben's mind)

I also think there is little chance the Steelers would cut Ben.  Financially it makes sense:  they would save $19 million in the cap in 2021 while taking a one-time dead money hit of $22 million but then they would be free and clear and in a much better position for 2022.  However having Ben's Steeler career end that way is not something that neither he nor the team wants to see.

The most likely scenario is Ben's contract will be restructured and extended to lessen the cap hit for 2021 and clearing the way for him to end his career in Pittsburgh, whether it be for one or two more seasons.

Whatever they do with Ben there are other decisions that need to be made before March 17 in order to be in compliance with the cap.  Should be an interesting 4 weeks.
Yeah, I'm guessing a 2 year extension putting $$ into 2022 and 2023 with an out after this year and next year. At this point I wouldn't be completely shocked if he was off the team before next season, or if he was still our QB in 2022. There's just so many rumors swirling. That said, I hope that any extension is very team friendly and that Ben is showing that he understands that any run will only be possible if his cap hit is as small as possible. 

If Ben stays I think that increases the chances of us going RB/OT/TE/WR early, instead of defense. The defense will still be largely intact next year (minus Dupree, and possibly Hilton and Sutton), and they already draft Highsmith to take over at OLB. I don't love any TE prospect outside of Pitts, so I'd hope for 1st OT, 2nd WR, and 3rd RB. (maybe Amon-Ra and Kenny Gainwell?)

The articles I'm seeing are starting to lack common sense, and I regret clicking on some. One write posits that the Steelers should trade for Zach Ertz from the Eagles, possibly giving up a 3rd round pick. That is a terrible idea for several reasons:

1. He's only signed through 2021, so it could be a 1-year rental. 
  2. He didn't play great this past year, is 30, and has been hurt recently. 
  3. They were proposing giving up a 3rd round pick for him. For a 1-year rental on a 30 year old TE who didn't play well this year and showed signs of being a purely volume pass catcher with little burst left. 
  4. He's owed $8 million for 2021, aka the same amount as Ebron. I'd rather keep Ebron and a 3rd, than spend $$ cutting Ebron, give up a 3rd, and have Ertz. 
  5. They might cut him. Don't trade for a player that could be cut and signed for no draft pick compensation. 
Ertz might have a few years of play left in him, and if he gets healthy this offseason he could even play at a high level, but we already have a decent TE on the roster and have other greater needs elsewhere. 

Thanks, but no thanks. 

The articles I'm seeing are starting to lack common sense, and I regret clicking on some. One write posits that the Steelers should trade for Zach Ertz from the Eagles, possibly giving up a 3rd round pick. That is a terrible idea for several reasons:

1. He's only signed through 2021, so it could be a 1-year rental. 
  2. He didn't play great this past year, is 30, and has been hurt recently. 
  3. They were proposing giving up a 3rd round pick for him. For a 1-year rental on a 30 year old TE who didn't play well this year and showed signs of being a purely volume pass catcher with little burst left. 
  4. He's owed $8 million for 2021, aka the same amount as Ebron. I'd rather keep Ebron and a 3rd, than spend $$ cutting Ebron, give up a 3rd, and have Ertz. 
  5. They might cut him. Don't trade for a player that could be cut and signed for no draft pick compensation. 
Ertz might have a few years of play left in him, and if he gets healthy this offseason he could even play at a high level, but we already have a decent TE on the roster and have other greater needs elsewhere. 

Thanks, but no thanks. 
Some of these offseason "articles" have been ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread