What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (5 Viewers)

They will most likely 5th year option Minkah to avoid increasing hit this year. Watt should get extended because they can structure to reduce his hit this year. Hopefully they don't 5th year option Edmunds.

They just signed Hassenauer to a restricted FA deal, but I don't think that eliminates them from resigning Finney. Dotson and DeCastro will be starting guards (hopefully) and some combo of Feiler, Banner, Chuks, and Rookie will be OTs/Cs. 

They could restructure/extend the following players to make cap space:

• DeCastro - $15 mil cap hit, $8.75 mil base salary. Could be extended or cut or traded. 
  • Tuitt - $9 mil base salary and 1 other year on contract. Could be extended or restructured to reduce from $9 mil. 
  • Watt - $10 mil base salary. An extension could significantly reduce this cap hit by including a signing bonus/guaranteed money that counts as a hit spread over all the years, and back loaded guaranteed money. 
  • Vince Williams - $4 mil base salary. Could be cut or extended to reduce slightly. He's 31, so cut is more likely, but we also have very little ILB depth. 
  • Haden - $7 mil base salary. Could be cut or extended. I think it's more likely he's extended 2-3 years with back loaded money.
  • Nelson - $8.25 mil base salary. Could be cut or extended. I didn't think he played great last year, but some film breakdown "experts" think he performed as well as possible under the circumstances after injuries to Dupree and Bush.
  • Ebron - $6 mil base salary. Could be extended or cut. Right now I think neither, that the team just holds for 1 more year. 
Through extensions/cuts we could save up to ~$30 million, but that's through drastic cuts and players taking team friendly back loaded contracts with small signing bonuses. More realistic is clearing ~$15 million. That said, I didn't think they'd be able to do as well as they did with Ben's contract, so they might be able to free up money that I can't see available. 

Almost $30 million of this year's cap is gone because of previous restructures. So, yes, the Steelers are able to work cap magic and keep the team together, but there's a cost and we're paying it now. We've already restructured some contracts to limit our cap in the future (Cam & Ben), so we'll see how much more we mortgage our future cap availability. I'm hoping that the team extends players that the FO wants for the long term, and limits restructures. 

New buzz that Trask might be a target of the Steelers. Could definitely just be nonsense because 1 article said "Trask just seems like a Colbert guy", but I have seen this in a number of different places now. I am a fan, and would be happy with him in the 2nd, but I'm not sure he falls that far. We'll see, and the Steelers true interest is TBD.

At this point, with the draft, almost nothing would shock me. Any of the options below seem almost equally possible to me in the early rounds:

• Take BPA (OT, LB, RB, WR, etc)
  • Trade up for QB
  • Trade back for picks (jk, this would shock me)

New buzz that Trask might be a target of the Steelers. Could definitely just be nonsense because 1 article said "Trask just seems like a Colbert guy", but I have seen this in a number of different places now. I am a fan, and would be happy with him in the 2nd, but I'm not sure he falls that far. We'll see, and the Steelers true interest is TBD.

At this point, with the draft, almost nothing would shock me. Any of the options below seem almost equally possible to me in the early rounds:

• Take BPA (OT, LB, RB, WR, etc)
  • Trade up for QB
  • Trade back for picks (jk, this would shock me)
I think they would take a QB that they have high on their board if he fell to them, but they aren’t trading up for one. This is the all-in super bowl or bust year with Ben. They need rookies who can help him win this year because of the cap. Why I think RB is first round. Of any position, a rookie at RB can produce quickest, especially a guy like Harris. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they would take a QB that they have high on their board if he fell to them, but they aren’t trading up for one. This is the all-in super bowl or bust year with Ben. They need rookies who can help him win this year because of the cap. Why I think RB is first round. Of any position, a rookie at RB can produce quickest, especially a guy like Harris. 
Take it from a packer fan who had to watch in horror as the packers took a QB round 1 and a 3rd string rb in round 2 - when you have a window go all in. Steelers need to draft for help today not in the future. If that’s RB round one do it.  Every round.

Take it from a packer fan who had to watch in horror as the packers took a QB round 1 and a 3rd string rb in round 2 - when you have a window go all in. Steelers need to draft for help today not in the future. If that’s RB round one do it.  Every round.
I would love Javonte Williams over anyone else. He might not there in round 2.

The best I honestly see is about 15 mil MAX to sign any UFA. That's after restructuring Tuitt, Boswell, and D Watt. You also extend Nelson, and sign TJ Watt long term. Maybe they can squeeze more blood from that stone, but I doubt more than 15 mil can be saved. That's all after signing their ERFAs Spillane and Allen, leaving money for rookies after offset, and the annual slush fund to cover injuries.

With the money left Sutton needs to be priority one. Sign Alualu, Banner, and Feiler as well. Trying to keep their 2021 cap hit under 10 mil for all 4 of these signings will be a major challenge. Best case scenario, there will be money left for depth purchases here and there after those guys are taken care of. Again, even if the cap is 185 mil, say goodbye to JuJu and Dupree, as well as Villanueva and Connor. 

You guys sound pessimistic.
Highsmith had a really good rookie season, and looks like he can fill that role left by Dupree. They have a young talented Claypool, and an underrated Washington to cover for losing JuJu, so not a big issue. Many pieces are still intact, but they do need to re sign Sutton or Hilton to play slot, and Alualu to play NT. Losing those guys makes the D weaker. 

The draft is where it's at. Smart picks will instantly upgrade RB, LT, and C. There's little hope at QB for now, but hopefully they address that soon for 2022 and beyond. The team has ignored the regressing oline, and have not used a high pick since DeCastro in 2012, and it showed the last couple of seasons. They need to get back to a play action type offense led by a younger oline, and a consistent run game. 

Highsmith had a really good rookie season, and looks like he can fill that role left by Dupree. They have a young talented Claypool, and an underrated Washington to cover for losing JuJu, so not a big issue. Many pieces are still intact, but they do need to re sign Sutton or Hilton to play slot, and Alualu to play NT. Losing those guys makes the D weaker. 

The draft is where it's at. Smart picks will instantly upgrade RB, LT, and C. There's little hope at QB for now, but hopefully they address that soon for 2022 and beyond. The team has ignored the regressing oline, and have not used a high pick since DeCastro in 2012, and it showed the last couple of seasons. They need to get back to a play action type offense led by a younger oline, and a consistent run game. 
I think of all free agents - Alualu would be really tough to lose. He was the 9th rated DT per Pro Football Focus last year. His age will limit long term contract offers but a team flush with cap space is going to make him a nice offer. Since this is the last chance at SB run for a while, they need to prioritize for the now. Alualu would be a huge loss, way more than Ju Ju. 

That offensive line was an unmitigated disaster. I don’t think Jerome Berris could find holes behind that line. I think targeting an interior lineman in second round who can immediately come in and start would be smart. Wyatt Davis and Landon Dickerson both come to mind. Both have some prior injury questions which might make them fall. 

Balco said:
And I would absolutely not take a qb. When Ben goes the team is going on the tank for a few years. Make  your play for franchise qb when you have a top 3-5 pick.
The Steelers went 8-8 with Duck Hodges and Mason Rudolph. There's almost 0 chance the Steelers will have a top 3-5 pick and the owners will never be ok with tanking. Neither will Tomlin. The defense is strong enough to keep the team mediocre even if QB play is poor. 

A lot of Steeler fans support drafting a QB because we don't want to waste our talented D. If we wait another year to draft a QB then that's another year they need to develop (assuming whoever they get isn't immediately great). 

Due to the resigning of Ben, I don't think the Steelers prioritize QBs, but if one they love falls I bet they draft them. 

The Steelers went 8-8 with Duck Hodges and Mason Rudolph. There's almost 0 chance the Steelers will have a top 3-5 pick and the owners will never be ok with tanking. Neither will Tomlin. The defense is strong enough to keep the team mediocre even if QB play is poor. 

A lot of Steeler fans support drafting a QB because we don't want to waste our talented D. If we wait another year to draft a QB then that's another year they need to develop (assuming whoever they get isn't immediately great). 

Due to the resigning of Ben, I don't think the Steelers prioritize QBs, but if one they love falls I bet they draft them. 
I am not saying the Steelers will intentionally tank I am saying they will be bad enough to get a pick in that range.

The  window for a super bowl is one year - this year.  That decision was made when Ben was resigned. Every resource should be used assembling parts that can contribute this year. Deal with the cap issues the next two years when the team will be terrible. Cut players in 2022 to take cap hits and then start anew in great cap position in 2023. Key is getting Watt and Fitzpatrick extended, and then building around them.

All focus needs to be on 2021.

I am not saying the Steelers will intentionally tank I am saying they will be bad enough to get a pick in that range.

The  window for a super bowl is one year - this year.  That decision was made when Ben was resigned. Every resource should be used assembling parts that can contribute this year. Deal with the cap issues the next two years when the team will be terrible. Cut players in 2022 to take cap hits and then start anew in great cap position in 2023. Key is getting Watt and Fitzpatrick extended, and then building around them.

All focus needs to be on 2021.
As steelers1080 said, this defense if far too good to pick in the top 5 anytime soon.

As steelers1080 said, this defense if far too good to pick in the top 5 anytime soon.
I don't know about that, was good enough in 2019 but I'm not ready to say that for sure about 2022.

Also you don't have to pick top 5 for a QB but let's say in the 2022 draft you do  and let's say we are pick13 in the 2022 draft, that's a lot less prohibitive to move up.

Honestly I don't see any QB past Mac Jones I would clearly say is better then Rudolph or a possibly more matured Haskins. I get their contracts are not on the books past this year but neither is likely to break the bank. Don't have a lot of reps to go around, I'd much rather see these two as 2/3 and do everything you can in draft to go for 2021.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/08/steelers-website-suggests-chase-claypool-has-diva-tendencies/

Just what we need, Labriola labeling Steelers' divas and making big fusses over nothing. Claypool uses social media, like 99% of people his age. The Juju tik tok nonsense was a non-story until the media started reporting on it like it was the biggest affront to decency. It's just young players being young players. I'd 100% much rather have some WRs that use social media and play video games, than have players who don't use social media but are terrible people. Some players commit actual crimes, and reporters seem to equate the two to the same level of seriousness. 

If Claypool is being an ### behind the scenes, then report that with thorough descriptions of what happened. Not, oh no, another diva. Some of these reporters and their "good old days" BS. Ernie Holmes shot a cop and played the following season. If people could overlook that, how about giving young players using social media a freakin break. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/08/steelers-website-suggests-chase-claypool-has-diva-tendencies/

Just what we need, Labriola labeling Steelers' divas and making big fusses over nothing. Claypool uses social media, like 99% of people his age. The Juju tik tok nonsense was a non-story until the media started reporting on it like it was the biggest affront to decency. It's just young players being young players. I'd 100% much rather have some WRs that use social media and play video games, than have players who don't use social media but are terrible people. Some players commit actual crimes, and reporters seem to equate the two to the same level of seriousness. 

If Claypool is being an ### behind the scenes, then report that with thorough descriptions of what happened. Not, oh no, another diva. Some of these reporters and their "good old days" BS. Ernie Holmes shot a cop and played the following season. If people could overlook that, how about giving young players using social media a freakin break. 
I'm 62 and think that Bob Labriola is an old fart.  He, like some other "Steelers insiders", are about as much fun as folding laundry on a Saturday night. 

They are also arrogant as hell -- his tone on his "asked and answered" columns is frequently condescending. If you don't like answering questions then don't ask for them.

As for Claypool or any other players I really don't care too much about social media as long as they keep it light and positive.

I'm 62 and think that Bob Labriola is an old fart.  He, like some other "Steelers insiders", are about as much fun as folding laundry on a Saturday night. 

They are also arrogant as hell -- his tone on his "asked and answered" columns is frequently condescending. If you don't like answering questions then don't ask for them.

As for Claypool or any other players I really don't care too much about social media as long as they keep it light and positive.
I thought I was the only one who thought his asked and answered is totally condescending.  He barely answers the questions, and I am certain there are questions that he doesn't even post.   So why even bother writing something snarky to people, when you can just not post the question at all?

This draft needs to be OL, OL, and then OL
They definitely need an LT and C but they seem set at G (DeCastro, Dotson) and RT (Banner, Okorafor or Feiler, if he is re-signed).    BJ Finney was released by the Bengals and could fill the need at Center if he can be signed cheap.

They desperately need a starting RB.  I know that a RB is only as good as the line in front of him but it works both ways:  a top RB can make an offensive line look a whole lot better too.  You simply have to do better than Snell, McFarland and Samuels and I don't think a 4th round pick is going to do the trick.

Unless they sign a quality FA running back they need to draft a RB in the first two rounds IMO.

They definitely need an LT and C but they seem set at G (DeCastro, Dotson) and RT (Banner, Okorafor or Feiler, if he is re-signed).    BJ Finney was released by the Bengals and could fill the need at Center if he can be signed cheap.

They desperately need a starting RB.  I know that a RB is only as good as the line in front of him but it works both ways:  a top RB can make an offensive line look a whole lot better too.  You simply have to do better than Snell, McFarland and Samuels and I don't think a 4th round pick is going to do the trick.

Unless they sign a quality FA running back they need to draft a RB in the first two rounds IMO.
I doubt Connor would be that expensive to sign

They definitely need an LT and C but they seem set at G (DeCastro, Dotson) and RT (Banner, Okorafor or Feiler, if he is re-signed). BJ Finney was released by the Bengals and could fill the need at Center if he can be signed cheap.

The closer we get to the draft, the more confident I get that we won't get a top 3 RB this draft. Thus, we will probably take an RB in the 1st or 2nd... Also, McFarland Jr. was very successful in Canada's scheme in college. Any chance he could be the answer with 1 more year under his belt? 

I'm still hopeful we can cobble a line together with Finney at C, Feiler at RT, Dotson and DeCastro at Guards, and Chuks/Banner at LT, and then draft a LT and C to compete. 

At this point I'd like the draft to fall 1. Zaven Collins, LB; 2. Liam Eichenberg, OT; 3. Michael Carter, RB; 4, Trey Hill, C; 4. Kary Vincent Jr, CB

Still leaves lots of holes, especially if the Steelers let Edmunds walk next year (which I hope they do), but fills in some gaps and gives the Steelers a talented RB. Zaven Collins is an unusual prospect who has grades as high as the #10 player in the class, and as low as #45. He's a LB who can work at ILB or OLB and is versatile, which falls in line with our defense which can require players to move around. He just seems like the type of player who would be a Steelers Star. 

I doubt Connor would be that expensive to sign
Conner is always hurt and just a nod above average when healthy.   If they resign Conner and go in the 2021 season with the same RBs as last year the running game is guaranteed to suck.

The closer we get to the draft, the more confident I get that we won't get a top 3 RB this draft. Thus, we will probably take an RB in the 1st or 2nd... Also, McFarland Jr. was very successful in Canada's scheme in college. Any chance he could be the answer with 1 more year under his belt? 

I'm still hopeful we can cobble a line together with Finney at C, Feiler at RT, Dotson and DeCastro at Guards, and Chuks/Banner at LT, and then draft a LT and C to compete. 

At this point I'd like the draft to fall 1. Zaven Collins, LB; 2. Liam Eichenberg, OT; 3. Michael Carter, RB; 4, Trey Hill, C; 4. Kary Vincent Jr, CB

Still leaves lots of holes, especially if the Steelers let Edmunds walk next year (which I hope they do), but fills in some gaps and gives the Steelers a talented RB. Zaven Collins is an unusual prospect who has grades as high as the #10 player in the class, and as low as #45. He's a LB who can work at ILB or OLB and is versatile, which falls in line with our defense which can require players to move around. He just seems like the type of player who would be a Steelers Star. 
I guess we have to see how the market plays out. I think if the Steelers want Finney back, they will be able to get him at a minimum deal.  I don't know what Feiler's market is, but I agree that signing him and letting he, Banner, and Chuks fight for two spots is the probably best case scenario, unless a STUD LT falls in the draft.  I think that line would be good though if one of those guys can outperform the last two years of Villanueva, which allows the Steelers to go Harris in the first.

It's being reported that Godwin and Allen Robinson are being franchise tagged, but Golladay won't be. This is good news for the Steelers in one aspect. This increases Juju's chances of signing a big contract, and the bigger the contract the more likely the Steelers will get a 3rd round pick for him. Several OTs have also been tagged. It's possible the Steelers get between 1-3 3rd round comp picks in 2022 if Juju, Dupree, and Big Al sign big contracts. I think at worst it's looking like 3/4/5. 

Bud Dupree is around a top 3 Free Agent now that players have been franchise tagged or signed. That is just projection, but if the Steelers can't/won't resign these guys we should be rooting for them to get overpaid. 

I'm not sure if Avery Williamson will count towards comp picks or not, but between him, Hilton, Sutton, and Conner, it's possible we get another 2 comp picks (depending on our own signings). We could have an immense cache of picks in 2022 if we play our cards right and work the comp pick formula (like the Pats and Ravens typically do). 

If we have 4-5 extra picks to work with next year in rounds 3-6, we could use that to help us trade up (if that's the goal). 

Conner wasn't the problem. The line is terrible. The running game is going to suck unless it is hugely upgraded or they talk Barry Sanders out of retirement 
The problem with Conner is he is always hurt and cannot be counted on.  I love the guy and think he is pretty good but going into 2021 with Conner as your lead back is a fool's errand cause he's going to get hurt.

And while I agree the line was absolutely horrible last season the running game was better when Conner was in there vs Snell/McFarland/Samuels.  I think Harris or Williams would be a big upgrade.

Ya, Spillane should be next.

It's being reported by Schefter that Steelers confirmed Bud will not be franchised, as expected. He and JuJu will get 15 mil elsewhere, if not more.

Sutton needs to be priority one, followed by Alualu, then Banner and Feiler. That's 10-15 mil gone, but they are needed.

I wonder if we see any extensions prior to Free Agency starting to free up money for 2021? Signing any combo of Watt, DeCastro, Haden, Ebron, and Nelson to extensions could reduce their cap hits this year and free up more money for other signings. 

It feels like the most likely signings are Sutton, Alualu, and Banner, but there hasn't been much news about any of them. Just Banner saying stay tuned. Haden's tweets about not being cut make me think it's possible that extensions have been discussed. 

Derek Watt's contract restructured to save $880k.   I wonder if they will actually use a FB this season?

The Steelers didn’t land J.J. Watt in free agency to unite all three Watt brothers on one team. But they did work with one of the three to create some cap room for 2021.

Per Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, Pittsburgh has restructured fullback Derek Watt‘s contract to create $880,000 of cap space. With the salary cap expected to come in at $182.5 million, every bit of space counts.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/10/steelers-restructure-derek-watts-contract/

With these other WRs getting tagged, looks like JuJu is the top free agent WR.  Someone will make him an offer he can't refuse I guess.  He is just so young and like a modern Hines Ward in a lot of ways -- wish we could keep him even with the other quality we have behind him.

With these other WRs getting tagged, looks like JuJu is the top free agent WR.  Someone will make him an offer he can't refuse I guess.  He is just so young and like a modern Hines Ward in a lot of ways -- wish we could keep him even with the other quality we have behind him.
Golladay is clearly the top option 

Cap is set at 182.5

This leaves them about 6 mil under with roll over from 2020. They need some extensions done soon, because the guys listed before need to be signed.

I think most of that money is already accounted for with what they need to put aside for rookie offset, and injury slush fund.

Cap is set at 182.5

This leaves them about 6 mil under with roll over from 2020. They need some extensions done soon, because the guys listed before need to be signed.

I think most of that money is already accounted for with what they need to put aside for rookie offset, and injury slush fund.
Yea, this will be tough.  Kind of BS that the NFL and Union didn't just agree to a flat salary cap given the TV deal on the horizon.  

Problem is, they need to restructure Tuitt just to fit the estimated 3 mil for rookie offset, and the 6-8 mil slush fund for injuries they put away every year.

Then they have to extend, cut, and restructure others just so they can sign Sutton, Alualu, Banner, and maybe Feiler. There's no magical calculator that fits Dupree or JuJu. Good thing for the team is that many vets will be available on the cheap after the draft looking for jobs. The cuts coming this week from some franchises will be bloody. I see Saints and Rams over the cap by 30+.

Considering the disparity of FA losses vs gains they will likely face this season I expect multiple high compensatory picks in 2022.  
We should get 3 or 4, but it depends on the contract size that our Free Agents get. I'm not sure what happens if contracts are lower due to lower cap. 

Also, there's talk that the cap could go up just $10 mil in 2022, which would mean that it's still lower than 2020's cap. Hopefully the NFLPA isn't that terrible at negotiating and the cap rises according to the new media deal. Though, the NFLPA is the worst of all the major sports' unions, so it wouldn't really surprise me. 

Would love him at that spot. 
I am hoping for Harris in the first.  A LB in the second like Moses maybe?  And Meinerz in the third.  The BPA at OT, DL, SS, TE ,WR with the others I guess.

Assume at this point that JuJu, Dupree, Conner, Villanueva, and Hilton are gone.

Sign as FA BJ Finney, Jesse James (likely cut), and Golden Tate.  Do we need another cheap CB too?

Resign Sutton, Tyson, Spillane, Ola, Feiler, Dangerfield, Banner.

Do we have to cut Vince Williams?  I hope not.  Will he take a new deal?  Restructure/extend Tuitt.  Will we have enough $$ for these piddly #### moves?

G/C Quinn Meinerz, U.W. Whitewater (Civ. III) (Senior). 

Pencil him in as the 3rd round pick.
All 32 teams sent scouts to his Pro Day. He moved up a ton due to the senior bowl, so many people view him as a 3rd rounder now, but the significant interest might push him into the late 2nd/early 3rd, where he may or may not be worth it. I like him, but I like him at our 3rd round pick, not our 2nd. 

Users who are viewing this thread