Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The ***OFFICIAL*** Pittsburgh Steelers Thread


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

From watching last year, it appeared like Nelson had regressed from 2019 and that Haden was clearly the better CB (when healthy). I thought extending Nelson was possible, but so was extending Haden (2 year extension w/ voidable years). I think Nelson and Sutton are close to even, and I think that keeping Juju a Steeler is more valuable than keeping Nelson a Steeler (if they extend Juju long term next offseason). If Juju walks next offseason, then this was a wash imo. 

If Nelson is traded then CB becomes another top priority, but it looks like Nelson wasn't ok with whatever offer the Steelers had for him. 

Steelers have an excellent track record at drafting a WR, but the exact opposite at CB. They can replace JuJu's production, but if Nelson goes, and with Haden on his last legs, and with no Hilton in the slot, you would have to acknowledge your secondary is much worse off than it was last season. Can't say the same if JuJu left the receiving unit.

I would love both as a Steeler, trust me. If I have to pick one though, then it's Nelson based on reasons above.

Edited by crushedspirit
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, crushedspirit said:

Steelers have an excellent track record at drafting a WR, but the exact opposite at CB. They can replace JuJu's production, but if Nelson goes, and with Haden on his last legs, and with no Hilton in the slot, you would have to acknowledge your secondary is much worse off than it was last season. Can't say the same if JuJu left the receiving unit.

That's true. Artie Burns isn't exactly an all-star. Quick extensions/cuts to make room for Kendall Fuller?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, steelers1080 said:

That's true. Artie Burns isn't exactly an all-star. Quick extensions/cuts to make room for Kendall Fuller?

They had to create 3 voidable years on Sutton's contract just to fit JuJu in. Don't know what rabbit out of a hat trick it would take to sign Fuller. Would be nice though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, crushedspirit said:

They had to create 3 voidable years on Sutton's contract just to fit JuJu in. Don't know what rabbit out of a hat trick it would take to sign Fuller. Would be nice though.

don't they save $8 million by cutting/trading Nelson?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, crushedspirit said:

When you keep kicking the can down the road, problems happen. 

I think it’s okay to kick can down road for a team like Pitt who has pretty much a one year run at a super bowl right now. But kicking it down the road for a position that is already a strength? With some big holes already on the roster? Just doesn’t make sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They are not closer to any SB run now, so these moves are curious. This type of thinking worked successfully for many years past, but the last 4 seasons has shown a different look at things might be needed. Colbert and Ben are pushing the future down the road for the now, and I'm not sold on that. This all started when that outrageous 2019 extension was given to a then 37 year old QB past his prime. Most of the future has been put on hold since then. Now the D is losing starters and depth.

They seriously need to hit homeruns with this draft.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Balco said:

I think it’s okay to kick can down road for a team like Pitt who has pretty much a one year run at a super bowl right now. But kicking it down the road for a position that is already a strength? With some big holes already on the roster? Just doesn’t make sense.

I don't think resigning JuJu was realistically in their plans but I give them credit for adjusting. I just think main thing is they got a chance to retain a homegrown player at a discount. Once his price dropped he became a great value combined with your QB taking a pay cut for one last shot, especially with that QB coming out in support of wanting to keep JuJu, that once his price became a value it all made sense in the construct of the 2021 roster.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, steelers1080 said:

Juju deal has voidable years, cap charge for this year is $2.4 million. Not sure how much dead cap is getting pushed to 2022, but right now seems like a fair amount. 

Looks like 3 voidable years, so higher than $2.4 mil, but much less than $8 mil. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we move Nelson to make cap room for Big Al, that would be really disappointing. There's a reason there haven't been rumors of his signing elsewhere, he's mediocre. I just don't see what others do when watching tape. I'm not sure he's opened a running lane since he became a tackle. He's big, sure, that helps him pass block decently. But he's just ok. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

If we move Nelson to make cap room for Big Al, that would be really disappointing. There's a reason there haven't been rumors of his signing elsewhere, he's mediocre. I just don't see what others do when watching tape. I'm not sure he's opened a running lane since he became a tackle. He's big, sure, that helps him pass block decently. But he's just ok. 

Depends on price.  He is Ben's guy, right?  Protects his blind side?  Banner is starting though at one of the spots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

There's a reason there haven't been rumors of his signing elsewhere, he's mediocre. I just don't see what others do when watching tape. I'm not sure he's opened a running lane since he became a tackle. He's big, sure, that helps him pass block decently. But he's just ok. 

It's a telling tale with many teams in need of a LT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

If we move Nelson to make cap room for Big Al, that would be really disappointing. There's a reason there haven't been rumors of his signing elsewhere, he's mediocre. I just don't see what others do when watching tape. I'm not sure he's opened a running lane since he became a tackle. He's big, sure, that helps him pass block decently. But he's just ok. 

Mediocre LT's are incredibly valuable 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2021 at 11:20 AM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Gotta think they have a plan to use the Nelson money.  Another cb?  Still expect jesse james back  

Draft probably still C, T and rb in first three rounds one way or another. Depth everywhere else. 

Well, at this point they're quite short on funds and still need to sign rookies. I'm still surprised about the lack of extensions. I wonder if they're planning on letting Haden and DeCastro walk next year, and really rebooting the team with youth. At the very least they could reduce Watt's cap cost with an extension, but I wonder if he's hesitant to sign anything due to pandemic cap size. They could also be waiting for the compensatory pick deadline to pass before signing more external players. 

Lost:

  • Alualu
  • Feiler
  • Dupree
  • Hilton
  • Ola (to Titans, not sure if contract big enough to count)

Signed:

  • Miles Killebrew
  • Joe Haeg

As far as I can tell we're sitting at one 3rd round pick and one 4th round pick for Dupree and Hilton, and our signings have cancelled out Feiler and Alualu (might get 1 more now). We could still have more free agents sign elsewhere, which would free up more picks: Conner, Big Al, Avery Williamson. But if they're signed after the comp pick deadline then they don't count towards the compensatory equations. The deadline is usually a few days after the draft (as far as I can tell). So, hopefully our guys get signed sooner rather than later (if we don't re-sign them). 

Edited by steelers1080
Ola signed - Titans
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to know if it was a case where Nelson was unhappy as a Steeler and wanted a trade or if the Steelers and Nelson could not come to an agreement on a long term deal.  I suspect it was the latter.

I am not sure what a team would be willing to trade for Nelson if the Steelers are going to cut him soon.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I would like to know if it was a case where Nelson was unhappy as a Steeler and wanted a trade or if the Steelers and Nelson could not come to an agreement on a long term deal.  I suspect it was the latter.

I am not sure what a team would be willing to trade for Nelson if the Steelers are going to cut him soon.  

I see lots of speculation regarding the Eagles.  Either a pick or Zach Ertz with pick swaps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I see lots of speculation regarding the Eagles.  Either a pick or Zach Ertz with pick swaps.

According to OTC, Ertz's cap hit is 12 million. 2 million less than Nelson if I'm reading it right. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Seems the Steelers are looking hard at Nick Bolton.

Yeah, he'd be a great pick early in the 2nd, so we'll probably take him at 24. If we end up going elsewhere in the 1st, and he's available in the mid-2nd, they should probably trade up for him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, geneyus said:

Steelers terminated Steven Nelson's contract.

Was hoping they could get something in return or have a change of heart and extend his contract.   CB depth is now definitely a concern now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Was hoping they could get something in return or have a change of heart and extend his contract.   CB depth is now definitely a concern now.

I don’t get it. I haven’t read what started the issue but to just release him without any compensation? Couldn’t of got even a 4th or 5th for him? Pretty sure no comp pick either since he was released.

How much do they save on the cap? Definitely need another CB now but not sure where he will come from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoeSteeler said:

I don’t get it. I haven’t read what started the issue but to just release him without any compensation? Couldn’t of got even a 4th or 5th for him? Pretty sure no comp pick either since he was released.

How much do they save on the cap? Definitely need another CB now but not sure where he will come from.

He was a $14MM cap hit this year.  The Steelers didn't think he was worth that.  I think if you look back when he signed the contract there was discussion that this would really be a 2yr deal because of that high cap hit.  They either were going to cut or extend him and they didn't agree with the extension values is my bet.  Allowed him to seek trade as courtesy.  Does he need to clear waivers now?  Cap hit to the next team I think is either $8 or $6 if claimed?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

So it is a savings of $7.47MM.  But there is dead money of $6.17MM this year due to signing bonus and a restructure last March.

Seven and a half million is a pretty big deal for a team so close to the cap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, crushedspirit said:

I hope this story is not true. You cut this guy, and kept an old Haden, plus re-signed JuJu? And you're getting no comp for this at all. Bad business move, yet again. 

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/03/report-cb-steven-nelson-didnt-ask-steelers-to-trade-him/

 

Haden is older but still the better CB.  The Steelers were not going to keep Nelson with a $14 million cap hit.   I am not sure why they couldn't come to terms on an extension but they didn't.  

There is a reason no one was willing to give up even a late round pick and pay him $8.25 million.  Assuming he signs elsewhere for less it will prove that holding on to Nelson at that price would be overpaying which is something this team cannot afford to do. 

Like you I also question the JuJu signing but the two are not connected in any way.  They were going to have depth problems at CB regardless of what they did with JuJu.  If nothing else it solidifies them at for 2021 so that is one of the few positions they don't need to address in the draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haden will be 32 in April, is signed for one more season, and saves you 7 mil if cut now. Nelson just turned 28, and makes 8.5 average, which is less than Haden's 11.2 a season. They already lost Hilton. You really need the money, but don't want to cut Haden, then look at a digressing DeCastro, with 1 year left, and saves you 9 mil, with a dead cap of 5.5. Slippery fingers Ebron at 1 year left, and saves you 6 mil, with a dead cap of 2.5. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, crushedspirit said:

Haden will be 32 in April, is signed for one more season, and saves you 7 mil if cut now. Nelson just turned 28, and makes 8.5 average, which is less than Haden's 11.2 a season. They already lost Hilton. You really need the money, but don't want to cut Haden, then look at a digressing DeCastro, with 1 year left, and saves you 9 mil, with a dead cap of 5.5. Slippery fingers Ebron at 1 year left, and saves you 6 mil, with a dead cap of 2.5. 

 

As thin as we now are on CB I think we're even thinner at OL and TE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Ebron restructured with what looks like voidable years.  Saves another $3.95MM this season.  Moves are coming?

I hope so.

In other news it sounds like Chase Claypool was involved in a bar fight in California.   :wall:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...