What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (6 Viewers)

I kind of like the first half of the Collins mock.  Really warming to him as the pick.  Can do a lot of things.  Urlacher Lite vibe maybe...which means theyll pass. 😕

Not a real Hubbard fan.  That dings it for me a touch.

I kind of like the first half of the Collins mock.  Really warming to him as the pick.  Can do a lot of things.  Urlacher Lite vibe maybe...which means theyll pass. 😕

Not a real Hubbard fan.  That dings it for me a touch.
Sermon was there too. Both gone by our next pick each time I have done one.  I have a feeling that in reality we dont get a top 3 back if we don’t take one in the first. And to not get a scrub we have to draft one by the third. 

Sermon was there too. Both gone by our next pick each time I have done one.  I have a feeling that in reality we dont get a top 3 back if we don’t take one in the first. And to not get a scrub we have to draft one by the third. 
I am starting to warm up to Sermon

Just because I am bored, My Tackle First Mock Draft:

24. Christian Darrisaw, T, VT

55.  Javonte Williams - RB, UNC

87.  Jamin Davis - ILB, Kentucky

128.  Trey Hill - C, Georgia

140.  Benjamin St.-Juste - CB, Minnesota

216.  Janarius Robinson - Edge, FSU

245.  Tony Poljan - TE, Virginia

254.  Greg Eisworth- S, Iowa State
If Darrisaw is there and they don't take him, I will flip out. I doubt Williams makes it to 55. I am sure Davis doesn't make it anywhere near 87. Given his times, I am not sure he makes it to 24. 

I am starting to warm up to Sermon
FWIW, it sounds like so has Pittsburgh.

I like Sermon a little bit, especially the fact they wouldn't need to expend a first rounder on him.  He can do a lot of different things pretty well, but he isn't what I'd call "great" at any of them. He's a pretty good receiver, he's a pretty good pass blocker, and he's a pretty good runner. 

Biggest ding I see consistently mentioned on him by multiple services is that he's much better running outside than inside (and they call out him for being indecisive/non-creative between the tackles).  Well, that and they keep bringing up how much better he looked at Oklahoma than at Ohio State (although, I assume they mean regular season, since he was nutso this last bowl season before getting hurt).

Can we maybe conclude that a Matt Canada O is going to feature outside zone stuff more frequently than in recent years if they're "liking Sermon's game"?

I am sure Davis doesn't make it anywhere near 87. Given his times, I am not sure he makes it to 24. 
Yeah, just about no way Davis was lasting that long even before his Pro Day.  Now?  He'd have to shoot someone between now and the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read this article this morning from The Athletic: Steelers Offseason

If you can't access the article or don't want to here is the biggest takeaway below, which some of you may have already been aware but I was not.

The Steelers currently have only 22 players under contract for 2022 (second fewest in the league) and have the most cap space ($106 million) and effective cap space ($90 million) in the NFL based on a $203 million cap projection. In 2023, they have only six players under contract as of now and will have somewhere in the neighborhood of $194 million to spend, depending on how high the new television deal affects the cap. Right now, that projection is at $225 million.

Those cap commitments will change over the next 13 months with two draft classes and the imminent extensions for Watt and Fitzpatrick.

Read this article this morning from The Athletic: Steelers Offseason

If you can't access the article or don't want to here is the biggest takeaway below, which some of you may have already been aware but I was not.

The Steelers currently have only 22 players under contract for 2022 (second fewest in the league) and have the most cap space ($106 million) and effective cap space ($90 million) in the NFL based on a $203 million cap projection. In 2023, they have only six players under contract as of now and will have somewhere in the neighborhood of $194 million to spend, depending on how high the new television deal affects the cap. Right now, that projection is at $225 million.

Those cap commitments will change over the next 13 months with two draft classes and the imminent extensions for Watt and Fitzpatrick.
QB of the future Russell Wilson?

I don't generally think spending 40 million on  QB is going to be the way to win Superbowls. They should actually use all that cap money on lineman.
Depends on the QB.  Wilson's one of the few who'd be worth it, IMO.

Doesn't matter.  The Steelers won't be going after him.

Sorry to clog the thread with my mocks.  Just interesting to see how these play out.  This is what I get if I go Collins in the first.  I know I am repeating some guys a lot.  Missed on TEs here.

24. Zaven Collins - ILB, Tulsa

55.  Liam Eichenberg - T, Notre Dame

87.  Chuba Hubbard - RB, OK State

128.  Trey Hill - C, Georgia

140.  Benjamin St.-Juste - CB, Minnesota

216.  Malcolm Koonce - Edge, Buffalo

245.  Greg Eisworth- S, Iowa State

254. Shemar Jean-Charles - CB, Appalachian State
I like this one the most I think. Mine would be:

24. Jaelan Phillips - OLB, Miami

55.  Liam Eichenberg - T, Notre Dame

87.  Cameron McGrone - ILB, Michigan

128.  Osa Odighizuwa - DT, UCLA

140.  Josh Myers - C, Ohio St.

216.  Brandin Echols - CB, Kentucky

245.  Jermar Jefferson - RB, Oregon St.

254. Shemar Jean-Charles - CB, Appalachian State

I know that Phillips could go way before 24, but he could fall for the same reason he's a big risk, his injury history. If the Steelers think he's past that, his upside is as high as TJ Watt. Eichenberg and Myers help solidify the offensive line, bringing solid but not spectacular play. McGrone is a sideline to sideline ILB who fought through injuries in 2020 but flashed greatness in 2019. Osa has apparently drawn attention from the Steelers, and is a short stout d-lineman with long arms and power. The word on the Street is that the Steelers are talking to Karl Joseph, so I didn't include a safety hoping that he could take over for Edmunds next year in 2022. Gave us a slot corner in Echols, and kept the Shemar pick because we really need some depth at corner. Jermar Jefferson is a solid back, and the Steelers have apparently been showing interest. I'm suspicious that the Steelers don't see RB as such a drastic need since Macfarland has history with Canada's offense. 

They send anyone other than the regional scout?  Butler? Olsavsky?
Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert were not at the Tulsa pro day to watch Collins, but according to Michael Beck of Behind the Steel Curtain via Jeremie Poplin, Steelers scout Kelvin Fisher and assistant outside linebackers coach Denzel Martin were in attendance at Tulsa’s pro day today.

I like Collins and feel like he would be a great fit, but I read the Steelers haven't drafted a non "Power 5" 1st rounder since Roethlisberger.

I like Collins and feel like he would be a great fit, but I read the Steelers haven't drafted a non "Power 5" 1st rounder since Roethlisberger.
and since 2009 Tomlin and/or Colbert attended the Pro Days of ever player they drafted in the first round.  The entire coaching staff did attend a Zoom meeting with Collins.

I've been obsessively running mock drafts on the PFN site this morning.  I need to stop, since none of them are making me particularly warm and fuzzy. :)

It's at least a fun time waster though.

I've been obsessively running mock drafts on the PFN site this morning.  I need to stop, since none of them are making me particularly warm and fuzzy. :)

Mine via Draft Network today seemed more realistic than the ones from last week.

24. Jamin Davis LB, Kentucky

55. Jalen Mayfield OT, Michigan

87.Trey Sermon RB, Ohio State

128. Trey Hill IOL, Georgia

140. Adetokunbo Ogundeji EDGE, Notre Dame

216. Tay Gowan CB, UCF

245. Damar Hamlin S, Pittsburgh

254. Sage Surratt WR, Wake Forest

I did a 3 round one.

24. Micah Parsons

LB Penn State

55. Landon Dickerson

OC Alabama

87. Davis Mills

QB Stanford

I would be more than warm and fuzzy with this. Parsons gets nowhere near 24 though. I don't think Mills would be there in the 3rd. He would be hard to pass at that point though. This also illustrates why I want a LT at 24 though. 

Didn't despise this one.  No TE at all, and OL didn't really fall right early for many to make sense, but later picks were there for it:

24. Zaven Collins LB
55. Wyatt Davis IOL
87. Kenneth Gainwell RB
128 Dayo Odeyingbo EDGE
140. Ambry Thomas CB
216. Drake Jackson IOL
245. Landon Young OT
254. Jaelon Darden WR (returner, really)

Didn't despise this one.  No TE at all, and OL didn't really fall right early for many to make sense, but later picks were there for it:

24. Zaven Collins LB
55. Wyatt Davis IOL
87. Kenneth Gainwell RB
128 Dayo Odeyingbo EDGE
140. Ambry Thomas CB
216. Drake Jackson IOL
245. Landon Young OT
254. Jaelon Darden WR (returner, really)
I like it but if Steelers are serious about upgrading their running game I really think they need to upgrade C and/or OT before G.

Their narrowing down is a strange process. Just looking at the Penn State guys, Parsons would be reasonable to remove. No chance he gets out of the top 15. Friermuth wouldn't be an unreasonable reach at 24. I expect him to go between 30-40. There some guys they leave on the list that will likely be there when the Steelers draft in the 2nd round. 
Agree, but the point is that this is probably the list of guys they are considering at 24.  No Collins etc.

Last one for a while!  I promise.  Pretty much the exact draft that I want:

24. Travis Etienne RB, Clemson

87. Quincy Roche EDGE, Miami

128. Israel Mukuamu CB, South Carolina

140. Trey Hill IOL, Georgia

216. Malcolm Koonce EDGE, Buffalo

245. Tony Poljan TE, Virginia

254. Tuf Borland LB, Ohio State

Even if the resign Big Al, LT is a huge need. If they don't resign him, I am not sure how they can not take a LT in the first even if it is a reach. C is also a huge need. I will be furious if they take a RB in the first round. 

Have you done any of the mock drafts at PFF?

This is what they really need to do:

26. Teven Jenkins OT Oklahoma State

55. Landon Dickerson OC Alabama

59. Dillon Radunz OT North Dakota State

128. Adrian Ealy OT Oklahoma

140. Aaron Banks OG Notre Dame

216. Jack Anderson OG Texas Tech

245. Larnel Coleman OT Massachusetts

254. Khyiris Tonga DT BYU

I don't know if he'll be there at 24, but the Steelers were in attendance at Notre Dame's pro day, and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is a very versatile LB. 

I wasn't a huge fan of his until I saw Brett Kollmann's breakdown. 

Drunken Cowboy said:
This is what they really need to do:

26. Teven Jenkins OT Oklahoma State

55. Landon Dickerson OC Alabama

59. Dillon Radunz OT North Dakota State

128. Adrian Ealy OT Oklahoma

140. Aaron Banks OG Notre Dame

216. Jack Anderson OG Texas Tech

245. Larnel Coleman OT Massachusetts

254. Khyiris Tonga DT BYU
IdiotBoxer, is this you?

Drunken Cowboy said:
Even if the resign Big Al, LT is a huge need. If they don't resign him, I am not sure how they can not take a LT in the first even if it is a reach. C is also a huge need. I will be furious if they take a RB in the first round. 
While I agree they should address the offensive lines woes first they also need a MAJOR upgrade at RB.   I mean Snell, Ballage, McFarland, Samuels is probably the worst RB group in the league.

The biggest needs are LT, C, RB, ILB and EDGE so there is no need to reach for any of these positions in round 1.   Get the best player available at one of those positions and I'll be okay but they better get a RB in the draft because what they have right now smells and there are no quality free agents left (Conner and Duke Johnson are probably the best).

While I agree they should address the offensive lines woes first they also need a MAJOR upgrade at RB.   I mean Snell, Ballage, McFarland, Samuels is probably the worst RB group in the league.

The biggest needs are LT, C, RB, ILB and EDGE so there is no need to reach for any of these positions in round 1.   Get the best player available at one of those positions and I'll be okay but they better get a RB in the draft because what they have right now smells and there are no quality free agents left (Conner and Duke Johnson are probably the best).
First, this is going to be a very pass heavy team again. They need for a running game at all next season is mostly just to keep defenses honest.

Second, successful running games are much more about OL play than RB ability. It doesn't matter who they draft at RB. Behind this line they are going to look terrible. 

Third, good RB's can be drafted late and bringing back Conner is certainly an option. 

I am normally all about drafting for best player available, but if you are planning on starting a rookie LT, you need to draft one in the first round. 

First, this is going to be a very pass heavy team again. They need for a running game at all next season is mostly just to keep defenses honest.

Second, successful running games are much more about OL play than RB ability. It doesn't matter who they draft at RB. Behind this line they are going to look terrible. 

Third, good RB's can be drafted late and bringing back Conner is certainly an option. 

I am normally all about drafting for best player available, but if you are planning on starting a rookie LT, you need to draft one in the first round. 
Again my preference would be to draft an OT first but what they currently have at RB is so below-par it is laughable.   While a great offensive line can make an ordinary RB look good the same can be said in reverse.

I love Conner but he is a china doll.   He would be a great depth guy but that's about it.   Pairing him up again with Snell and the gang yet again would be a colossal mistake.

As far as getting a RB late in the draft yes it is possible to find a good one but McFarland and Snell were 4th rounders and you see how that worked out.  Chris Rainey, Jonathan Dwyer, Jaylen Samuels, and Barron Batch are the great RBs the Steelers have gotten with late round draft picks over the last decade.  The Steelers have actually done a better job striking gold with offensive lineman with later picks than running backs.

I would like to see the Steelers get a starting LT that can run block in round one and grab a quality RB in round 2 but if they do the reverse I am fine with that as well.  

Is it really fair to label him a bust already after 30 carries? 
No and I didn't intend to do that although I can see where it comes off that way.  But the running game was a disaster and if the Steelers thought that McFarland was the answer they probably would have given him more than 30 carries.  Then again maybe he will thrive under Canada's offense but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.  I think they need to draft a RB and do it within the first 3 rounds.

Leeroy Jenkins said:

First 3 picks are as solid as they get and getting Hill in the 4th would be nice.

Any idea who else wa s there at 128 and 216? They desperately need a CB but not a huge fan of Makuamu. Hoping they are able to get Luke Ferrell with one of the later picks.

First 3 picks are as solid as they get and getting Hill in the 4th would be nice.

Any idea who else wa s there at 128 and 216? They desperately need a CB but not a huge fan of Makuamu. Hoping they are able to get Luke Ferrell with one of the later picks.
I wanted Benjamin St.-Juste, but he was gone in this one.

No and I didn't intend to do that although I can see where it comes off that way.  But the running game was a disaster and if the Steelers thought that McFarland was the answer they probably would have given him more than 30 carries.  Then again maybe he will thrive under Canada's offense but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.  I think they need to draft a RB and do it within the first 3 rounds.
Fair enough, I often wondered that myself. I mean, we all know what Benny Snell is. I think a lot of times McFarland would get in the game and press too much, feeling like he had to hit the home run to try and earn more playing time. I thought he looked pretty good at times. He definitely doesn’t have the build to be an every down back, but I still believe he can carve out a role and be a pretty good player. 

At this point, I think I have a serious problem.  I do think these Draft Network Mocks are getting better.  I am noticing certain players draft positions shifting significantly this week.  Anyway . . . .

24. Najee Harris - RB, Alabama

55. Jalen Mayfield - OT, Michigan

87. Olaijah Griffin - CB, USC

128. Dylan Moses - LB, Alabama

140. Trey Hill - IOL, Georgia

216. Malcolm Koonce - EDGE, Buffalo

245. Ihmir Smith-Marsette - WR, Iowa

254. Matt Bushman - TE, BYU

Looking at the pro day list, clearly Pittsburgh focus is upgrading the running game. Plan B is grab one of the top CB. Feature RB is a possibility as well.

Sooo, unless they have an under the radar starting LT gem in their pocket, going to say that’s priority number 1 in the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread