What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (6 Viewers)

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/04/bryan-2021-steelers-mock-draft-version-1-0-post-pro-days/

I like this, other than the Punter with the last pick.  Take a WR or S flier there.  
I like most of the guys on this list. However,  it is wishful thinking that any of picks 2,3 , and 4 would be there when that pick actually comes up. Waiting until the 4th round to address the OL would be nuts. Starting 2 rookie 4th round picks on your OL is a recipe for disaster. 

I like most of the guys on this list. However,  it is wishful thinking that any of picks 2,3 , and 4 would be there when that pick actually comes up. Waiting until the 4th round to address the OL would be nuts. Starting 2 rookie 4th round picks on your OL is a recipe for disaster. 
I am thinking RB in the first if Harris or Etienne is there is guaranteed now.  Creed Humphrey at 55 is possible, if not, I think they go best tackle available.  Go defense with the next pick either way (or RB if went D in the first).  Then, if they didn't get Humphrey earlier and got a tackle, they go with Kendrick Green or Trey Hill.

My last mock, neither RB was there though.  This draft will be fun.

24. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah - LB, Notre Dame

55. Jackson Carman - OT, Clemson

87. Trey Sermon -RB, Ohio State

128. Kendrick Green- IOL, Illinois

140. Dayo Odeyingbo - EDGE, Vanderbilt

216. Tay Gowan - CB, UCF

245. Matt Bushman - TE, BYU

254. Paris Ford - S, Pittsburgh

I know it's not likely, but I'd be interested to see Gurley sign in Pittsburgh. He couldn't be expected to be a workhorse but at a reasonable price, as a key part of rbbc, it could work well.

I am thinking RB in the first if Harris or Etienne is there is guaranteed now.  Creed Humphrey at 55 is possible, if not, I think they go best tackle available.  Go defense with the next pick either way (or RB if went D in the first).  Then, if they didn't get Humphrey earlier and got a tackle, they go with Kendrick Green or Trey Hill.

My last mock, neither RB was there though.  This draft will be fun.

24. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah - LB, Notre Dame

55. Jackson Carman - OT, Clemson

87. Trey Sermon -RB, Ohio State

128. Kendrick Green- IOL, Illinois

140. Dayo Odeyingbo - EDGE, Vanderbilt

216. Tay Gowan - CB, UCF

245. Matt Bushman - TE, BYU

254. Paris Ford - S, Pittsburgh
Freaky. I'm participating in a  "slow live" mock draft on another site, with each team being driven by an actual person.  My first four picks (just made my first fourth rounder a little earlier today) are: Collins, Carman, Sermon and Green. 

Was targeting Edge as a possibility for that second 4th, but it's looking more and more that the value is going to be at CB or TE in this one.

JoeSteeler said:
Hopefully he signs for > $2 million/yr so he will count in the comp formula.
Conner signed a one year contract for $1.25 million plus a $500,000 signing bonus for a total deal of $1.75M - all fully guaranteed.

Last edited by a moderator:
5-ish Finkle said:
Freaky. I'm participating in a  "slow live" mock draft on another site, with each team being driven by an actual person.  My first four picks (just made my first fourth rounder a little earlier today) are: Collins, Carman, Sermon and Green. 

Was targeting Edge as a possibility for that second 4th, but it's looking more and more that the value is going to be at CB or TE in this one.
Can't Stop Won't Stop.  This is a near perfect draft in my view for the Steelers.  This is probably the ONLY one I have done though where Humphrey was there at 55:

24. Najee Harris - RB, Alabama

55. Creed Humphrey - IOL, Oklahoma

87. Stone Forsythe - OT, Florida

128. Dylan Moses - LB, Alabama

140. Kary Vincent Jr. - CB, LSU

216. Malcolm Koonce - EDGE, Buffalo

245. Ihmir Smith-Marsette - WR, Iowa

254. Matt Bushman - TE, BYU

Can't Stop Won't Stop.  This is a near perfect draft in my view for the Steelers.  This is probably the ONLY one I have done though where Humphrey was there at 55:
Overall, that's a pretty good outcome.  Personally, though, I just can't get beyond burning a first rounder on a runner.  Unless the guy is going to be the next Barry Sanders/etc, the shelf-life is just too short (generally).  Aaaand.....I'mma be honest....I don't like Creed Humphrey that much. :)   The times I watched him (which were admittedly limited) he got blown off the ball a LOT at the POA in the run game.  If his technique lapses at all, he's in trouble.  Given that, and regardless of how much some think this team is going to be pass heavy (it will be), if the reports that the owner/president openly demanded the run game be improved, I'm not sure Humphrey fills the bill there.

An aside regarding what I mentioned about my mock in round 4 (cuz I know everyone cares):  Value at Edge, indeed, evaporated.  Got within a couple picks of landing St. Juste at corner, but the consolation prize was Ambry Thomas, who I loooove long term. Guy needs to get his discipline under control better, but he can ball.  Had he not opted out this year, and kept developing, I expect could have gone a couple rounds higher. And he's super, super young.  Plenty of time to coach that up.  Could contribute as a Nickle guy early in his career, maybe even do some work on teams returning, with a chance to develop into a really, really solid top 2 guy on the outside in the future.

Josh Dobbs also coming back
We were all worried for nothing everyone.  CHAMPIONSHIP!

I'm thinking Dobbs somehow came across all those old photos of Steelers brass humping goats that Will Blackwell clearly used to have in his possession.  Dude is just not a good NFL QB.  If he's just "a sounding board for Ben", hire him as a coach.

5-ish Finkle said:
We were all worried for nothing everyone.  CHAMPIONSHIP!

I'm thinking Dobbs somehow came across all those old photos of Steelers brass humping goats that Will Blackwell clearly used to have in his possession.  Dude is just not a good NFL QB.  If he's just "a sounding board for Ben", hire him as a coach.
4th camp arm.  Gotta think they give Haskins every chance to show he belongs so they know whether they are drafting an early QB in 2022 or having a Rudolph-Haskins competition.  

I already know everything I need to about Rudolpho.  No thankee.

They're taking a QB early in 2022.  The Steelers already know it too, IMO.  Just remains to be determined how "early" is "early."

At this point I'm just hoping the Steelers don't force a pick for position over BPA. If they're ok with Harris or Etienne, trade down to late 1st if possible. At most, 1 rb is going in the 1st.

At this point I'm just hoping the Steelers don't force a pick for position over BPA. If they're ok with Harris or Etienne, trade down to late 1st if possible. At most, 1 rb is going in the 1st.
I doubt there will be much demand to trade up to 24. However I would love a trade down. I don't think there is going to be good value at the need positions for the Steelers. Too early for a C, too late for a LT. I wouldn't take Harris with a 3rd round pick. Maybe a CB slides.

The Steelers ranked dead last in rushing last year.  Their RBs were trash last year and have gotten worse this offseason.  The offensive line needs a starting C and/or LT too.

Two of the first three picks better address these needs and IMO they need a RB at #1 or #2.   Their history of drafting later round RBs is not good.

If they don't drastically improve the running game this team will finish below .500 for the first time in almost 2 decades.

The Steelers ranked dead last in rushing last year.  Their RBs were trash last year and have gotten worse this offseason.  The offensive line needs a starting C and/or LT too.

Two of the first three picks better address these needs and IMO they need a RB at #1 or #2.   Their history of drafting later round RBs is not good.

If they don't drastically improve the running game this team will finish below .500 for the first time in almost 2 decades.
This is going to be a very pass heavy team. As currently configured they have likely the worst run blocking line in the NFL. It might be historically bad. A RB is a wasted pick before round 3. Also, I do not like this RB class at all. 

This is going to be a very pass heavy team. As currently configured they have likely the worst run blocking line in the NFL. It might be historically bad. A RB is a wasted pick before round 3. Also, I do not like this RB class at all. 
If the plan is to mimic the 2020 offensive scheme then we are doomed for failure. 

Obviously they need to improve the run blocking but you also need a decent RB too.  Just like a good offensive line can make an ordinary back good, a quality RB can make an offensive line better too.

I think Harris, Etienne and Williams are worlds better than any RB they have on the team.   Waiting to the 3rd or 4th will probably get you Sermon, Gainwell, or Hill.   You may hit gold with one of them but you could also be taking the next Bennie Snell.

If the plan is to mimic the 2020...
If you believe the reports about Art II ordering Tomlin/Colbert to "fix the running game immediately", then that does not appear to be the plan.

I think they'll certainly skew pass, but to think they're going to double down on "50 throws a game, try to make three yard timing routes replace runs" (after all it got them a year ago was a flaming heap), when the president/owner has basically made a direct demand to the staff, is misguided.  This front office is not going to totally flip Rooney the bird.

Will it work?  We can't know yet, but I'm willing to wager that they're going to hit the OL and RB early in this draft and the OL that they take will probably be strong run blockers, first and foremost.   What order they take the positions is up for debate, and I don't think they'll lock themselves into ANYTHING at 24, but I'd wager they would prefer to have two OL and a RB drafted by round 4.

They are taking Harris or Etienne.  
I think this depends on if one of the Ts fall.  Both are in the conversation for their first though, no matter how much anyone (including myself) likes it.

I like Williams in the second, or even better Gainwell in the third, more than any RB in the first.  Shelf life on RBs is just not worth wasting the 5th year option on a guy you may well have run into the ground by year 4.

I think this depends on if one of the Ts fall.  Both are in the conversation for their first though, no matter how much anyone (including myself) likes it.

I like Williams in the second, or even better Gainwell in the third, more than any RB in the first.  Shelf life on RBs is just not worth wasting the 5th year option on a guy you may well have run into the ground by year 4.
Unless they love Sermon, Chubba, or Gainwell, they need to take a RB in the first.  Williams isn't making it to 55.

Unless they love Sermon, Chubba, or Gainwell, they need to take a RB in the first.  Williams isn't making it to 55.
Meh. Weird ish happens.  Or they could trade up, of course.

I agree its more likely that the Ts don't slip and they take Harris in round 1.

I think Sermon or Gainwell in the 4th or 3rd would be way better than Harris/Etienne in the first. Neither Harris nor Etienne are worthy of a 1st round pick like Zeke, Cmac, or Barkley were. 

At this point my hope is OT or Defense in the 1st. If one of the top 3 CBs falls to us at 24 that could be great. Then we can get RB/C/Def with 2, 3, 4, 4. If we don't beef up the O-line, it doesn't matter what RB we take, they won't do well. 

At 24, based on the majority of mocks, it looks like a value defender should fall to 24, and 1 or 2 of the top OTs might fall (though Vera-Tucker might kick inside). 

(though Vera-Tucker might kick inside). 
He really should, honestly. He could be an okay T, but he should be a fantastic G.  "T's get the chicks" though, sooo...yeah.  I'm sure his agent will want him to stay a T. :)

I think Sermon or Gainwell in the 4th or 3rd
Herein lies the rub, from where I'm sitting at least.....even if you think those two guys are really 4th round talents, they'd almost have to draft either of them in the 3rd to make sure they get them. 

After those two guys go off the board, RB starts to look pretty "Benny Snail"-esque, to me.    Of the pair, I think Gainwell is the more complete player, but there's scuttlebutt on a couple services that the Steelers FO really like Sermon (who most services have ranked lower).  Who knows?

I've warmed to Sermon some though, especially after looking at what he did as a Sooner on top of what he was able to do this past bowl season.  He's a legit talent, just not a "complete" player.  You don't need to burn a first on him either though, so it's a give and take.

If you believe the reports about Art II ordering Tomlin/Colbert to "fix the running game immediately", then that does not appear to be the plan.

I think they'll certainly skew pass, but to think they're going to double down on "50 throws a game, try to make three yard timing routes replace runs" (after all it got them a year ago was a flaming heap), when the president/owner has basically made a direct demand to the staff, is misguided.  This front office is not going to totally flip Rooney the bird.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of this, but if true it'd certainly explain recent rumors and activity to date. Can't bring back the expiring talent with that sort of directive and don't have the funding to fix it in March, so you're forced into fixing it in April. And as you're describing navigating this RB class with their draft picks is going to be difficult. They have to reach, get lucky that someone falls, or be right about those they target early day 3 this time.

Tomlin signs a 3year extension

I know there will be mixed feelings from Steeler fans

Tomlin signs a 3year extension

I know there will be mixed feelings from Steeler fans
This is good news. He's still a top coach in the league and I think he deserves a chance to develop whatever young QB the Steelers get in the next 1-3 years. If the Steelers let him go/trade him I think it will end up like the Eagles and Andy Reid. Maybe he did need a change in scenery, but the Eagles are still trying to find their next solid HC (Super Bowl aside...). 

I love Tomlin.  Only one team wins the SB each season.  Tomlin coached in the Brady era -- like running up against Jordan in the 90s.  Practically every player who leaves the Steelers for money wishes they stayed with Tomlin.  He has been great for the brand. 
Since 2002 there have only been 2 Super Bowls without Brady, Peyton, Big Ben, or Mahomes. Meanwhile the NFC has had 12 different teams, and most of the repeat teams had different QBs (outside of Seattle). The Brady/Peyton roadblock prevented a lot of great AFC teams from reaching the Super Bowl. Not only because they knocked us out of the playoffs, but because they'd take the bye weeks, lowering the Steelers chances of moving on. 

I understand why they did it. But I don't agree with it.

His complete lack of playoff success since 2010 is littered with bad losses and underachievement. And its not like they've lost to Brady and Manning led teams every year in the playoffs either. 

In the playoffs...

5-2 in his first 4 years after taking over Cowher's roster filled with experience, championship pedigree, and talent. This is where he built his reputation.

3-6 in his last 10 years, with wins only over teams led by Matt Moore, Alex Smith, and AJ McCarron. Say what you want about the talent on those teams, but most would agree there's been plenty of it being led by a future HOF QB. They lost once to Brady and once to Manning in his final year. The other four losses were to teams led by Flacco, Tebow, Bortles, and Mayfield.

0-2 in his last 4 years, giving up 93 points, both losses at home as big favorites. Blame the defense, blame turnovers, blame lack of preparation, blame lack of discipline. Plenty to go around, but accountability for the good and the bad starts with the coach. At least it should.

The Steelers are blindly loyal to their guys, and I get that. But putting him on the hot seat wouldn't have been a bad idea.

I understand why they did it. But I don't agree with it.
Fair points. I think some of those losses can be attributed to bad luck with injuries right at the start of the playoffs (Bell, Pouncey, AB, etc). Also, some of the OC hires have been less than stellar, which is partially Tomlin, but also partially front office. 

One of my knocks on Tomlin is that he has 0 coaching tree. Very rarely are teams even trying to hire away Steelers assistants, which means that our staff isn't coveted by other teams around the league. He could/should work to improve the coaches under him, whereas they seem more likely to grow stagnant and be replaced internally, rather than leave for other teams (Munchak is the exception, and he wasn't developed). 

Fair points. I think some of those losses can be attributed to bad luck with injuries right at the start of the playoffs (Bell, Pouncey, AB, etc). Also, some of the OC hires have been less than stellar, which is partially Tomlin, but also partially front office. 

One of my knocks on Tomlin is that he has 0 coaching tree. Very rarely are teams even trying to hire away Steelers assistants, which means that our staff isn't coveted by other teams around the league. He could/should work to improve the coaches under him, whereas they seem more likely to grow stagnant and be replaced internally, rather than leave for other teams (Munchak is the exception, and he wasn't developed). 
Agreed. Injuries have played a role, but that's part of my issue. He's a player's coach, everyone loves him, his quotes are on Sportscenter, and he's a minority head coach for the Steelers, owned by the family the Rooney Rule is named for. It's never his fault, nothing ever touches him... it's the players, it's the assistants, it's the schedule, it's the drama. But in the end, when will the buck stop with him? Players and assistants come and go, the schedule changes, but the drama and underachievement has been a constant under him for a decade now.

When will people look past all the fluff and realize that his teams have been undisciplined and filled with off-the-field drama that surely has spilled over to the field on Sundays?

I know, I know... who's out there that's better? That's a chance I'd be willing to take, personally. Tomlin himself was an unknown when we hired him over Russ Grimm. I understand that people want to give him credit for making the most of the situations with guys like Bell, Brown, Bryant, JuJu... but it's the culture that he creates in Pittsburgh that allows those personalities to grow and ultimately get out of control.

I just want him to be held accountable with some pressure on him for a change, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread