What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (10 Viewers)

A 7th round RB?   I guess that means Benny Snell is your starter with McFarland as 3rd down/change of pace guy and Ballage as the goal line back.   

Good Lord.
I like McFarland over most of the players in this draft. He us younger, bigger built, and about the same speed as Etienne. 

I like McFarland over most of the players in this draft. He us younger, bigger built, and about the same speed as Etienne. 
I know he is young and the line sucked but he showed absolutely nothing last year.  My recollection is he was making 3-4 moves before he got to the line and was so off-balance he was falling before/as he got hit.

Maybe with an improved line he will turn out to be something but I don't see him being anything more than a role-player.   

They need a feature back.

A 7th round RB?   I guess that means Benny Snell is your starter with McFarland as 3rd down/change of pace guy and Ballage as the goal line back.   

Good Lord.
My thinking was that if they take a RB in the 4th/5th I wouldn't be shocked if they grabbed another with their final pick, and that Funk already has a prior history with Canada. So if they ended up with like Chuba Hubbard, they could double dip. 

If they don't take a single RB until the 7th round, then I think the team is much much higher on Snell and MacFarland than we know. 

Also, MacFarland has the skills to be really good, he just moves his feet 3x more than necessary on every run. He jukes himself into self-tackles, but I think he can work on that and improve in year 2. 

So I take it that when Jaylen Samuels seizes the starting RB job during training camp, everyone in here is going to be stunned...

...a man holding a sliver of hope can dream, can't he? (at least before the Draft?)

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-seven-round-mock-draft

This mock is not common, but turns out pretty solid for the Steelers if you're ok with Spencer Brown at OT. 

1. Greg Newsom II, CB
2. Creed Humphrey, C
3. Michael Carter, RB
4. Spencer Brown, OT
4. Cameron McGrone, ILB
6. Antonio Phillips, CB
7. Robert Jones, IOL
7. Matt Bushman, TE

It hits the key positions except OLB and S if the Steelers let Edmunds walk after this year, but we don't have enough picks for all our needs. 

So I take it that when McFarland seizes the starting RB job during training camp, everyone in here is going to be stunned...

...a man holding a sliver of hope can dream, can't he? (at least before the Draft?)
Matt Canada was his OC in college and likes to get the ball to his playmakers with jet sweeps and misdirection. Can expect plenty of motion and attempts to create mismatches with his speed.

also watch for McCloud and Claypool to get their opportunities to make plays every week. 

I still think they are going Harris in the first.  

24.  Harris - RB - Alabama

55.  Freirmuth - TE - Penn State

87.  Spencer Brown - OT - Northern Iowa

128.  Kendrick Green - C - Illinois

140.  Shaun Wade - CB - Ohio State

216. Malcolm Koonce - Edge - Buffalo

245.  Tuf Borland - ILB - Ohio State

254.  Trevon Grimes - WR - Florida

ProFootballNetwork's Tony Pauline is reporting that the Steelers "love" Trey Sermon as a Day 2 pick. He's been mocked from the 2nd - 4th round, so it's tough to tell if we'd have to spend a 2nd rounder on him, but wouldn't hate him as the 3rd round pick. 

ProFootballNetwork's Tony Pauline is reporting that the Steelers "love" Trey Sermon as a Day 2 pick. He's been mocked from the 2nd - 4th round, so it's tough to tell if we'd have to spend a 2nd rounder on him, but wouldn't hate him as the 3rd round pick. 
Sermon in the 3rd is worlds better than Harris in the first, but I think 87 is still a bit too high for him. 

Please let Buffalo or the Jets get ahead of them and take Harris. Please. A friggin almost 24 year old RB who only had 25 career carries of 25 yards and who refused to run the 40 in the high 20’s would be the worst pick since Ziggy Hood. I guess I could choke down Etienne or Williams but for the love of god not Harris. You’re not a ‘playmaker’ at RB if you can’t even break long runs. 

My fear is that if they love Sermon, they are going to reach in the first for some Oline guy that they could get later, then grab Sermon at 55 because they will be scared they will miss out on him. And we leave value on the board. 

My fear is that if they love Sermon, they are going to reach in the first for some Oline guy that they could get later, then grab Sermon at 55 because they will be scared they will miss out on him. And we leave value on the board. 
Yeah, if they drafted like Mayfield 1st and Sermon 2nd that would be pretty bad value. I still love the idea of trading back with the Packers, giving up 24 and 140 for 29 and 92. At 29 I'd feel better about those bubble guys like Jamin Davis, Asante Samuel Jr, Random OT that should go mid-2nd, etc. And then we could take Sermon with 1 of the 2 3rd round picks and still have another that can be used for a Center or CB. 

If there's no trade back and we stick with 24, 55, 87, I hope they just gamble that Sermon will be there at 87, which is still a bit high for him IMO, but if the FO loves him and thinks he'll slot into the offense well, it'd be ok. Hopefully if we get Sermon at 87, we got good value at 24 and 55. 

Going back to my original pick of O-line for the Steelers....

LINK - to tweet with chart showing every NFL team's expense on the offensive line...
Travis Wingfield@WingfieldNFL
Daniel Jeremiah had a very interesting comment on the latest Move the Sticks pod. Said your WORST offensive lineman is more important than your BEST guy. Says more sacks are given up than earned.

If they see the difference between Harris and Sermon as insignificant, and think the OLine is the biggest need to get tougher and run the ball, then the will go OLine.  Here is my final mock, with these thoughts in mind.  Things have to fall a certain way, but this seems fairly realistic and I tried to keep in mind which prospects the Steelers have met with and schools they like to draft from:

24. Teven Jenkins - OT, Oklahoma State

55. Quinn Meinerz - C -Wisconsin-Whitewater

87. Trey Sermon - RB, Ohio State

128. Shaun Wade - CB, Ohio State

140. Daelin Hayes - EDGE, Notre Dame

216. Avery Williams - CB, Boise State

245. Trevon Grimes - WR, Florida

254. Luke Farrell - TE, Ohio State

Travis Wingfield@WingfieldNFL
Daniel Jeremiah had a very interesting comment on the latest Move the Sticks pod. Said your WORST offensive lineman is more important than your BEST guy. Says more sacks are given up than earned.
This may be true but for the Steelers right now isn't about the sacks it is all about run blocking.  The desperately need an upgrade at center and LT.  They should be good at G and RT.

Who are some late (5th round or later) that you guys like?
I like Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, Appalachian St. He tends to get mocked in the 6th/7th and looks like he could develop into a corner, he just comes from a small school who played lesser competition. 

I'm a Jake Funk fan, RB, Maryland. I saw him play in college and he had some splash plays, while also looking like a guy who could contribute on special teams from day 1. Plus, he has experience in Matt Canada's system, and he ran in the 4.4's so he offers some burst. He's likely to go 7th round or undrafted. 

Whop Philyor, WR, Indiana, purely for his nickname. 

Darius Stills, DT, WVU, I'd only really want him as a UDFA, but he shows flashes of talent at the NT position and could learn from Alualu. Feels like we take a D-line prospect in every draft. 

Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama, he could go in the last 3 rounds of the draft which is almost unheard of from the lead ILB in a Nick Saban defense, but he definitely has question marks. He has a couple serious injuries in his past, and he doesn't have that hard hitting tackling that we're used to for a Bama LB. Also, he can be a liability in pass coverage.

Trevon Grimes, WR, Florida, he just felt like a WR who never quite lived up to his potential, and with Toney and Pitts on the same team he should have been open quite often, but might have had a harder time getting targets. To me he's a solid 4th WR with upside, not bad for a mid/late day 3 selection. 

I still believe that you have to go for Najee Harris in the 1st round if he is available.  I don't want to even think about Bennie Snell as my #1 running back.  Unless they really think that Ben throwing 50 times a game is a good idea which it isn't.   If they went after a running back in free agency maybe but the didn't.     

I still believe that you have to go for Najee Harris in the 1st round if he is available.  I don't want to even think about Bennie Snell as my #1 running back.  Unless they really think that Ben throwing 50 times a game is a good idea which it isn't.   If they went after a running back in free agency maybe but the didn't.     
They are going to throw a ton regardless of who is the RB.

I think we need to get one of the big three: Harris, Etienne or Williams, ideally in the 2nd round.  I don't think that will happen though.  

Unless they trade down I think they go OT, CB or EDGE in the first, C in the second and get Sermon in the 3rd.

This may be true but for the Steelers right now isn't about the sacks it is all about run blocking.  The desperately need an upgrade at center and LT.  They should be good at G and RT.
DeCastro is in the final year of his deal. I thought he would have been extended by now to make more cap room, but if they plan to let him walk then Guard could be a target in rounds 3/4. 

If the Steelers draft based on positions that aren't yet filled for 2022:

• QB - 0 QBs under contract for 2022, but Haskins is a RFA if he ends up showing anything. 
  • RB - Snell and MacFarland are under contract for 2022, but obviously RB could use an upgrade.
  • WR - Claypool and Diontae under contract for 2022, still need 3 more WRs. 
  • TE - Gentry only TE under contract for 2022, need 1-2 TEs. 
  • OT - Banner and Haeg under contract for 2022, need 1-2 OTs
  • G - Dotson under contract for 2022, need 1-2 guards. 
  • C - 0 under contract for 2022. 
  • DE and NT - Locked down for 2022, including depth. 
  • OLB - Only Highsmith signed for 2022, if they don't extend TJ Watt before the season starts it's a huge mistake for the team. Need at least 2 OLBs for depth/compete with Highsmith. 
  • ILB - Bush and Gilbert signed for 2022, and Spillane is a RFA. Need 1 for depth/compete for starter role. 
  • CB - Sutton, Layne, and James Pierre signed for 2022. I think they need at least 1-2 CBs, but Pierre played more and more down the stretch for the Steelers at the end of last year, it's possible that they like him enough to only need 1 CB. 
  • S - Only Minkah signed for 2022, they need a strong safety to replace Edmunds. 
  • ST - Only Bos signed for 2022, need a long snapper and P. They probably try out some UDFAs but resign Canaday. 
So, if we don't extend anyone, we need 2 QBs, 1 RB, 3 WRs, 2 TEs, 1-2 OTs, 3 IOL (G/C), 0 DE/DT, 2 OLB, 1 ILB, 2-3 DBs. And that's just to fill holes mostly, not to improve upon the existing talent at each position. 

The point is, even if positions look ok right now, we have a ton of spots that will be vacant in 2022, so don't be surprised by pretty much any position. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a fair amount of extensions after the draft. The Steelers could be waiting to see who falls to them and then extend players at positions where they weren't able to fill needs. 

Unfortunately true we are going to dink and dunk to nothing but I don't think anyone fears Snell or McFarland in the backfield.   I guess I would rather work with the unknown then something we know it destined for failure.  Unless Snell has REALLY up his work.

DeCastro is in the final year of his deal. I thought he would have been extended by now to make more cap room, but if they plan to let him walk then Guard could be a target in rounds 3/4. 

If the Steelers draft based on positions that aren't yet filled for 2022:

• QB - 0 QBs under contract for 2022, but Haskins is a RFA if he ends up showing anything. 
  • RB - Snell and MacFarland are under contract for 2022, but obviously RB could use an upgrade.
  • WR - Claypool and Diontae under contract for 2022, still need 3 more WRs. 
  • TE - Gentry only TE under contract for 2022, need 1-2 TEs. 
  • OT - Banner and Haeg under contract for 2022, need 1-2 OTs
  • G - Dotson under contract for 2022, need 1-2 guards. 
  • C - 0 under contract for 2022. 
  • DE and NT - Locked down for 2022, including depth. 
  • OLB - Only Highsmith signed for 2022, if they don't extend TJ Watt before the season starts it's a huge mistake for the team. Need at least 2 OLBs for depth/compete with Highsmith. 
  • ILB - Bush and Gilbert signed for 2022, and Spillane is a RFA. Need 1 for depth/compete for starter role. 
  • CB - Sutton, Layne, and James Pierre signed for 2022. I think they need at least 1-2 CBs, but Pierre played more and more down the stretch for the Steelers at the end of last year, it's possible that they like him enough to only need 1 CB. 
  • S - Only Minkah signed for 2022, they need a strong safety to replace Edmunds. 
  • ST - Only Bos signed for 2022, need a long snapper and P. They probably try out some UDFAs but resign Canaday. 
So, if we don't extend anyone, we need 2 QBs, 1 RB, 3 WRs, 2 TEs, 1-2 OTs, 3 IOL (G/C), 0 DE/DT, 2 OLB, 1 ILB, 2-3 DBs. And that's just to fill holes mostly, not to improve upon the existing talent at each position. 

The point is, even if positions look ok right now, we have a ton of spots that will be vacant in 2022, so don't be surprised by pretty much any position. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a fair amount of extensions after the draft. The Steelers could be waiting to see who falls to them and then extend players at positions where they weren't able to fill needs. 
With so many unsigned players in 2022 pretty much anyone they draft will be a position of need next season.  It almost becomes a non-factor.

Really what we need to draft is a quarterback but I doubt we will trade up for one.   I am sure it will piss off people but I wouldn't be averse to trying to get move up and get Trask or Mond in the 2nd/3rd round.  

Jason La Canfora is saying that the Steelers will take one of the top 2 RBs, Landon Dickerson, or Zaven Collins in the 1st. 

Based on what would make me the saddest, I think the draft is going to go:

1. Landon Dickerson
2. Trey Sermon
3. Spencer Brown

Basically a round or 2 reach on each player, 0 value. All 3 could be solid, but we could have had them each a round later and still had another 1st round talent, instead of another 4th round talent. It will be just like taking Terrell Edmunds, a 3rd round talent, in the 1st round...

Also, the only reason I don't like Dickerson is because he can't stay healthy. If they gave him robot legs and guaranteed 0 ACL tears or lingering ankle issues, I'd be 100% fine with him at 24, he could be an excellent leader for many years to come. But I just don't think he'll stay healthy in the NFL because he didn't stay healthy any year in college, all 4 years he got hurt.

Jason La Canfora is saying that the Steelers will take one of the top 2 RBs, Landon Dickerson, or Zaven Collins in the 1st. 

1. Landon Dickerson
2. Trey Sermon
3. Spencer Brown

Basically a round or 2 reach on each player, 0 value. All 3 could be solid, but we could have had them each a round later and still had another 1st round talent, instead of another 4th round talent. It will be just like taking Terrell Edmunds, a 3rd round talent, in the 1st round...

Also, the only reason I don't like Dickerson is because he can't stay healthy. If they gave him robot legs and guaranteed 0 ACL tears or lingering ankle issues, I'd be 100% fine with him at 24, he could be an excellent leader for many years to come. But I just don't think he'll stay healthy in the NFL because he didn't stay healthy any year in college, all 4 years he got hurt.
Yes I do not want Dickerson for anything higher than a 3rd.  Way too much risk for a team that has immediate needs.

Yes I do not want Dickerson for anything higher than a 3rd.  Way too much risk for a team that has immediate needs.
Oh man, I just pictured the pure value draft if certain players slip past where mocks have them going. If the Steelers traded back with GB (picks 29 and 92 for 24 and 140):

1. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB/S, Notre Dame - Play a hybrid LB/Safety and take over after Edmunds moves on next year. 
2. Sam Cosmi, OT, Texas - Great tackle prospect, just needs refining. If the class wasn't as deep he'd go top 20 (and still could).
3. Landon Dickerson, C, Bama - Falls due to medical concerns, still a huge risk
3. Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB, Syracuse - Very solid CB who can take on #1 WRs and learn from Haden for a year
4. Trey Sermon, RB, Ohio St - Where he should go value-wise but will probably be pushed up by really weak RB class. 

This won't happen, but this is the dream, value at every pick (IMO). 

Even ignoring long term risk he is likely not ready at the beginning of the year. Given it would be a need pick, that us extra dumb.

Even without his injury history, 24 is a bit of a reach. He is not a particularly athletic prospect. Not many Cs go in round 1.

Recent rumors are that the Steelers don't think highly of Trey Lance (not that it'll matter), but that they have Trask ranked over him. I don't think they'd take Trask in the 1st or 2nd, but they might if he's still there in the 3rd. I was high on him after the season but the post-season coverage has tamped down my interest somewhat (still think he's better than Rudolph...). 

Really what we need to draft is a quarterback but I doubt we will trade up for one.   I am sure it will piss off people but I wouldn't be averse to trying to get move up and get Trask or Mond in the 2nd/3rd round.  
Both would a reach with 87. No way you trade up for either. Not athletic and average at best arm strength. Rudolph was a much better prospect than either.

1. Landon Dickerson
2. Trey Sermon
3. Spencer Brown

That is the EXACT scenario I fear.  

That is the EXACT scenario I fear.  
Though, I don't mind Spencer Brown there (I had him there in at least one of my stupid mocks).  And if Dickerson's injuries are actually a non-issue and Sermon ends up being solid, then this isn't bad.  Just seems like big reaches in the first two rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
hammerva said:
Najee Harris is Benny Snell with hands… so he’s Jamaal Williams. You’re asking for them to draft Jamaal Williams round 1 with a ####ty OLine. We could have just signed Jamaal Williams. 

JoeSteeler said:
If they are not able to get a RB , I hope they consider signing Brian Hill. Not sure the cost but I think he is miles better than anyone on the roster now. Coming out of Wyoming he was touted for his vision and pass protection skills.

Here is a profile Steelers Depot did on him back in 2017. Will only be 25 when the season starts.

https://steelersdepot.com/2017/02/2017-nfl-draft-player-profiles-wyoming-rb-brian-hill/
Isn’t that what they did with Ballage. Uber-athlete with the vision of Trent Richardson?

It just feels like the year something crazy happens and a top talent falls to 24, and the Steelers pass on them. Could end up being a blessing, like when they passed on Reuben Foster in the 2017 draft. Players that people expect to go in the top 15 have some concerns which are rumored to push them down, like Fields or Farley, or a player like DeVonta Smith who came in 10 lbs lighter than everyone thought at 166 lbs. Lots of comps to Marvin Harrison, but he played around 185 lbs. 

This draft just feels weird, like a lot of the picks we'll be reacting with "Them?!". 

If the smoke around Jacksonville getting an RB is true why not try to maneuver for James Robinson? That would be absolutely fire in my mind. Outside the box I know but say Jacksonville gets Etienne after you’ve gone OL in the first. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Just a thought.

Darrell Henderson, Royce Freeman, Rashaad Penny, Sony Michel, Alexander Mattison all on rookie contracts, maybe could catch the ear of those teams. It would be easy to sling #### at the wall and see what sticks over these guys. 

Like I said I would tolerate Etienne, Williams or Sermon later on. I just do not trust a guy with so few explosive runs who played on Bama for four years and refused to run a 40. He’s more Trent Richardson/TJ Yeldon than he is Derrick Henry/Josh Jacobs/Mark Ingram.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on "expert" mocks, it looks like Jenkins (if he falls), Dickerson (if Steelers medical staff didn't just blacklist him), or Harris.  In that order.

I personally really like Harris, but if Jenkins is there, I would take him and hope for Williams at 55 or Sermon at 87.  

I REALLY HATE how the draft is televised now.  Wish it was rounds 1-2 Friday Night.  3-4 Saturday and 5-7 Sunday.

Based on "expert" mocks, it looks like Jenkins (if he falls), Dickerson (if Steelers medical staff didn't just blacklist him), or Harris.  In that order.
I don't know where you're seeing that, I'm seeing Harris overwhelmingly in mocks, followed by Etienne and Jenkins from mocks posted yesterday and today. If the mock draft gurus actually have sources, then it looks like RB is the pick at 24 if either is still there. I'd be disappointed, but will still support them 100% once they're a Steeler. 

The only mocks where I see defensive players going to the Steelers have been fan-made, not "experts". Again, just looking at the last 48 hours, which should presumably be more accurate. 

I don't know where you're seeing that, I'm seeing Harris overwhelmingly in mocks, followed by Etienne and Jenkins from mocks posted yesterday and today. If the mock draft gurus actually have sources, then it looks like RB is the pick at 24 if either is still there. I'd be disappointed, but will still support them 100% once they're a Steeler. 

The only mocks where I see defensive players going to the Steelers have been fan-made, not "experts". Again, just looking at the last 48 hours, which should presumably be more accurate. 
https://steelersdepot.com/2021/04/2021-steelers-draft-day-packet-what-you-need-to-know/

Fair enough. I think that some of those are from earlier in the week, but the ratio seems right, the mocks coming in with Najee are still overwhelming. Fantasy Pros compilation of expert mocks has Najee in 70% as the Steelers 1st pick. 

Based on where Colbert and Tomlin visited together, the pick will be one of:

• Najee Harris
  • Landon Dickerson
  • Alex Leatherwood
  • Jaylen Waddle
  • DeVonta Smith
  • Patrick Surtain II
  • Mac Jones
  • Christian Barmore
  • Travis Etienne
  • Azeez Ojulari
  • Eric Stokes
  • Tyson Campbell
  • Asante Samuel Jr
  • Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
  • Liam Eichenberg
  • Justin Fields
  • Kwity Paye
  • Jalen Mayfield
  • Micah Parsons
  • Jayson Oweh
A handful of these players are expected to go top 15, but you never know what could happen. And another bunch are expected to be 2nd rounders, but the Steelers have reached in the past if they have them high on their big board. 

The Steelers are apparently also very high on Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn (projected 4th round). 

Rumors and speculation surrounds Zaven Collins and Tevin Jenkins, but Colbert and Tomlin didn't attend their pro-days, so that would be going against the historical precedent. They did have video calls with Darrisaw and Farley, but couldn't attend the V-Tech pro day because they were at Michigan's pro day. 

This was my mock for what is worth.  Not sure how realistic it is and obviously a needs draft but here it is:

1 (24) RB Najee Harris, Alabama
2 (55) C Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma
3 (87) OT Jaylen Mayfield, Michigan
4 (128) LB Chazz Surratt, North Carolina
4 (140) CB Ambry Thomas, Michigan
6 (216) TE Kyle Granson, SMU
7 (245) WR Tevon Grimes, Florida
7 (254) LB Nick Neiman, Iowa

I have a feeling you guys will hate it!

Users who are viewing this thread