What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFCCG: Titans at Chiefs - Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
Chiefs looked unstoppable for the last three quarters today, but the Titans are on a roll right now, with Derrick Henry leading the way. Should be a great game. 

Tenn is vulnerable to the pass and KC is vulnerable to the run. Will Chris Jones play?  Both coaches are great. Should be a good one I agree. 

When they played back in early November (week 10) the Titans were able to pull out a win. I think this will be a different challenge but it shows that the titans “can” win this game. Back then, this was Mahomes first game back from injury and he still threw for 440+ yards and 3 TDS, but nothing else was really working for the Chiefs. Less than 100 yards rushing. No INTs but 4 sacks. That was Tannehill’s 4th start but his first statement game where he beat a quality opponent. He only threw for 181 but 2 TDS, with his second TD coming with 23 seconds left to play to put the Titans ahead. What a moment. And that was also Derrick Henry’s first statement game for 2019 where he ran for 188 yards and 2 TDS. It was only his second 100+ yard rushing effort on the year with his first being exactly 100 yards back in week 4. Since that game he has only been held under 100 yards once and has had MONSTER games during this stretch, including two playoff games, and has rushed for 1,273 yards in those 8 games combined. Historic. But the Titans also got a fumble recovery scoop and score for a TD that game and a huge field goal block at the end of regulation to secure the win. That was a statement win for the Titans, for Tannehill, for Henry, for Vrabel, and ideally the perfect game plan for the game again this weekend vs the Chiefs. Run the ball. Control the clock. High percentage passes. Defense and special teams need to manufacture some turnovers and points. Stay calm. Weather the punches. And get a little sprinkle of magic... It’s been their formula. They’ve done it for weeks and weeks. Each week they say "The Titans have to play perfect to win..." and yet they keep winning. So, is it perfect, or just do what they do. Whatever it is, they need to do it one more time to continue on to the big game.

The challenge is that that Titans loss is the last loss the Chiefs have had. They were 6-4 after that game ended with losses to the Titans, Colts, Texans and Packers in the first 10 weeks. Three AFC South teams, which is crazy, and their other potential super bowl matchup the Packers. But that loss to the Titans got under their skin. It changed them. It was a hard fought game that went down to the last play. And they came up short. Mahomes hated to lose his first game back. The team was hurt. Some of them cried. Literally. They have since won 7 straight to now sit 14-4. A great season, but the last bitterness they have felt was due to the Titans. They hated that feeling. They will remember that, definitely, just like some of them remember the Mariota led Titans beating them in 2017 in round one of the playoffs. The Titans have had their number as of late and it is clear to see.

Chiefs Quotes After Blown Lead to Titans

I anticipate both offenses attempting to keep the other offense off the field. Mahomes will attempt to dink and dunk and short rush to run the clock. He will put them to sleep with the short throws and hit Hill over the top once or twice for big gains. The Titans DBs are vulnerable. The titans will do what they do to attempt to keep Mahomes off the field. Henry will get his but I don’t think he can win this one alone like he basically has the last two weeks. Even if he gets 200 and 3 I don’t think it will be enough without help. Mahomes is that good. I “think” Tannehill has the magic to put up points, and even do so quickly. The chiefs defense is vulnerable too. We need AJ Brown to be our Hill, and give us some explosive over the top plays of his own. But will he? Both defenses are basically the same although the Chiefs have done better over the season of limiting points. They only gave up 52 points in their last 5 reg season games combined! That’s legit! But they did just give up 31 to the Texans and looked over matched defensively in the first quarter. And the two coaching staffs are legit as well. A hall of famer on one side and a clear up and coming mastermind (risk taker?) on the other side. The clear difference in this game will be the QBs. Mahomes is the stud kid on campus, like Ferris Bueller where everything typically just goes his way and people hate him for it, and is clearly destined for a gold jacket at this pace, and Tannehill is the nerdy cast away kid with no friends who likes Minecraft as an adult and lives in his parents basement, but recently went to JC Penny and got a makeover and is finally looking and feeling right. Girls are starting to notice him and his confidence is growing. He has a punchers chance. For the sake of fun, I say Tannehill and the Titans pull it off. Nerds rule, Jocks drool! The Titans are destined.

Its going to be a great game. Hopefully.

Titans 34-31

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to think KC will do everything they can to stop Henry.....and try to stop him in the backfield before he gets a head of steam.....run blitzes, etc.....which means Tannehill will have to make some plays....and make them early....if they can make a few plays early in the passing game or get some PI calls, KC defense may have to back off...IMO you really almost can't punt against the Chiefs you have to convert on 3rd and go for it on 4th down if you don't....if field position allows....and you have to score TD's, not just FG's....short passes to the TE that are easy to complete and keep the clock running like a run play....

I feel this KC team is different than last year and different then when they played TEN earlier.....if Chris Jones is able to play, that is a huge difference maker.....Jones/Clark, T sizzle, can be disruptive....as is the case in many playoff games I feel it may come down to turnovers, bad penalties, and special teams.....one big special teams play or turnover/penalty at the wrong time could be the difference......

I think KC and Spags will figure out a way to limit, not stop, but limit Henry....forcing Tannehill to convert on some third downs with Henry on the sidelines....not sure TEN can stop the Chiefs offense and at some point TEN will punt a few too many times.....27-17 KC....

The Titans are the one team the Chiefs are going to have to figure out at some point. And with what Vrabel is building there, this is a game we may see year after year for awhile.

Should be fascinating to watch. 

To me, that line is too high. I see this game as a coin flip. 

The challenge is that that Titans loss is the last loss the Chiefs have had. They were 6-4 after that game ended with losses to the Titans, Colts, Texans and Packers in the first 10 weeks. Three AFC South teams, which is crazy, and their other potential super bowl matchup the Packers. But that loss to the Titans got under their skin. It changed them. It was a hard fought game that went down to the last play. And they came up short. Mahomes hated to lose his first game back. The team was hurt. Some of them cried. Literally. They have since won 7 straight to now sit 14-4. A great season, but the last bitterness they have felt was due to the Titans. They hated that feeling. They will remember that, definitely, just like some of them remember the Mariota led Titans beating them in 2017 in round one of the playoffs. The Titans have had their number as of late and it is clear to see.
This is an excellent point.

The Titans are the one team the Chiefs are going to have to figure out at some point. And with what Vrabel is building there, this is a game we may see year after year for awhile.

Should be fascinating to watch. 

To me, that line is too high. I see this game as a coin flip. 
This is the game I really wanted to see. Personally, I really liked the chiefs while living in Kansas for 6 years, and this really does make a good matchup. 

Thankfully Adoree seems healthy.  He's one of the few who can stay with Tyreek. Kelce is just unstoppable, but so is Henry.  

My mind says the chiefs win as Mahomes shows why he's the best in the league.  Heart says Titans. 

Can anyone stop Henry?  That's how you beat KC.  Keep Mahome slice off the field by giving Henry 30+ touches. 
The challenge is that say they give the ball to Henry 30-35 times and chew, chew, chew the clock.... As evidenced against the Texans, Mahomes can score 21 points in like 6 plays in less than 3-4 minutes..... While chewing the clock is the best strategy, they cant keep the ball away from him for literally the entire game. Mahomes will touch the ball. And he will be expected to produce with 1/3 of the clock while the Titans hold onto 2/3 of the clock. Can the Titans stop him, or at least severely slow him down, when he has his chances with 1/3 of the clock is the question? It is going to be extremely tough. The only chance the Titans have is to muck it up. Make this a half court press basketball game. If the Titans to try to run with the Chiefs, they will get dunked on, repeatedly. They have to slow EVERYTHING down... and then in the 4th quarter, be within reach to have some magic happen. They either win a close one or lose by a ton...

The challenge is that say they give the ball to Henry 30-35 times and chew, chew, chew the clock.... As evidenced against the Texans, Mahomes can score 21 points in like 6 plays in less than 3-4 minutes..... While chewing the clock is the best strategy, they cant keep the ball away from him for literally the entire game. Mahomes will touch the ball. And he will be expected to produce with 1/3 of the clock while the Titans hold onto 2/3 of the clock. Can the Titans stop him, or at least severely slow him down, when he has his chances with 1/3 of the clock is the question? It is going to be extremely tough. The only chance the Titans have is to muck it up. Make this a half court press basketball game. If the Titans to try to run with the Chiefs, they will get dunked on, repeatedly. They have to slow EVERYTHING down... and then in the 4th quarter, be within reach to have some magic happen. They either win a close one or lose by a ton...
Sounds about right. On the bolded, I agree but then again that's how I felt heading into the Baltimore game. Anything can happen so I'll be hoping for one more week of magic.

Everybody's talking about the Titans, maybe its fun. The point spread is saying something else.
The point spreads in the NE/Ten and Balt/Ten games were saying the same thing. I like KC, and hope they win as I have family there who are die hards, but the Titans kind of remind me of the Philly run 2018. Dogs the whole way. Much tougher odds to do it from the wildcard round, but they are hot at the right time.

The Chiefs lost to the AFC South teams and they were all rough with them and pushed them around. I remember the old Rams with Warner losing several and having this problem before they figured out how to succeed against it. It looks like the Chiefs figured it out last week, in the second Q. The Titans will still be the tougher team and Casey and Simmons should be a big handful for the Chiefs OL. The Titans probably win the battle in the trenches except for the occasional sack allowed. The Chiefs can get after it.

I don't understand why the Chiefs stopped using their backup RBs. Andy Reid has had a timeshare backfield since the Eagles. They can run wide on the Titans, but there will have to be runs up the middle to make Simmons and Casey pause. They are elite DTs and ya just can't ignore them despite the crazy speed they have outside on offense.

Hill had a real good game last time and that was despite Adoree showing the world that he is just as fast and keeping up step for step. Mahomes made great throws and Hill great catches. A good number were "well, there's nothing you can do about that." 

The Titans shut down Andrews well and aren't really the best at defensing the TE. The opposing tight ends usually get theirs, just have to earn it. Byard is an all-pro safety but he is usually back deep. Brown should return and should cover Kelce. I wouldn't be surprised if Kelce does well and there's another key interception by Byard too. For weeks, the Titans safeties have got an INT.

The Titans are weak at OLB. Correa played the best game of his life last week. Landry is playing against the LT and just can't hack it. When he goes against the RT he does have the speed to make an impact here n there. Mahomes takes the longest drop I've ever seen. Is that seven steps back? 10? It's the same from shotgun. Last game, the Titans took occasional shots at him but all in all they didn't rush him in a normal way. He's back too far and with the quick release or weird throw capabilities it's pretty difficult to get to him. I expect the same "ears back this play" then not for a few.

Ryan matches up well with Watkins who hasn't been playing as great as he is, but those two have known each other forever with Bills Pats. 

It's the Chiefs other guys and the Titans other DBs. Hardman and Robinson do nothing and then vroom off to the races. The Titans have been so susceptible to those players this year. In two playoff games, they were ready. During the regular season, they were caught sleeping. 

Henry ran for 188 the first game and since that's about his playoff average, he might be able to again. The problem is the Chiefs almost don't care. Last week, the Titans D was on the field a ton and they were forced to sub third stringers to get rest. This week could almost be that the offense gets tired. Yeah it's nice when Henry has a 7 minute drive for a TD, but when Mahomes throws a deep ball and they score in 40 seconds, it sets up a weird setting where the Titans O is actually on the field too much.

The Chiefs were all over the Titans WRs last game and they could throw to the TE at will. This isn't smart D for them to play against a ball control ToP eating offense but it almost worked last time. Brown wasn't considered elite or really known as he is now. They might do the same. The Titans should try and get Humphries(if he returns) or Sharpe involved in this weak middle as well.

The Chiefs are not awful over the middle, it's just what they gave last game. If they play it more straight up, the Chiefs corners are very good but they have been pushed around at times. Brown shouldn't be a factor again, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was. Hopkins was cute last week using his moves and all. The gem he is, he should have recognized and been rough with them.

I have never understood how Raymond (or his type) are just fast deep, so he comes onto the field, and toasts a team deep. The Chiefs did get burned by the Texans speed guys but I doubt Raymond can surprised them this week.

The Titans scored on their first opening possession against the Pats for the first time this year. They were excellent against Baltimore in the first Q. These Chiefs score too quick for the Titans to come out slow as they have much of this season.

I expect a 14-3 Chiefs lead and us to debate whether the Titans should still be giving it to Henry. 

Ultimately the Chiefs speed kills and Henry is too big n fast for most. It's really different strengths. Opposite that, I think the Titans passing is better than the Chiefs running. Still...it's how many times is Mahomes gonna burn them with his speedy targets

Prisco-Talked to some Chiefs players Sunday about what it's like to tackle Derrick Henry and Tyrann Mathieu said he thought he broke his jaw hitting him on one play in the first meeting. Said it was like it hitting solid rock.

We haven't seen a lot of repeat games for Henry in his two years of starting. This is what I wonder about. They allowed 188, their stud thought he broke his jaw, so are they really tough enough to discard that and go at him a second time? Or is Henry like Jim Brown where defenders will actually be (a little bit) scared of him in repeat games?

gpthatsme said:
Oh sure, KC is gonna score.  It'll be interesting to see how the Titans D plays.  They were supposed to get smoked by the Ravens offense.

Prisco-Talked to some Chiefs players Sunday about what it's like to tackle Derrick Henry and Tyrann Mathieu said he thought he broke his jaw hitting him on one play in the first meeting. Said it was like it hitting solid rock.

We haven't seen a lot of repeat games for Henry in his two years of starting. This is what I wonder about. They allowed 188, their stud thought he broke his jaw, so are they really tough enough to discard that and go at him a second time? Or is Henry like Jim Brown where defenders will actually be (a little bit) scared of him in repeat games?
I would think that no doubt there's an intimidation factor going up against Henry cuz he's so big, and so fast.  Not only will it hurt when he has a full head of steam, but if you don't get him down, he's got the top end speed to take it to the house. 

got a feeling the Chiefs and Spags will have a plan for slowing Henry down at or behind the line of scrimmage....I am sure they will be tired of "hearing about Henry" all week and will make it a team effort to slow him down.....I realize he is still a lot to handle, and many teams have thought about it "before" the game too.....but this is the friggin AFCCG.....Tannehill is going to have to make some plays early.....and TEN will need to stay out of 3rd and long....no false starts, holding calls, etc will be huge for TEN....

No Chris Jones would be a huge blow. If he can't play, I think Titans win in a close one.
I was thinking the opposite. Chris Jones apparently sucks against the run. Since Mike Pennel has been around, the Chiefs D has done quite well. Pennel was inexplicably not active for the previous meeting with the Titans.

Chiefs should win this easily.    Henry can keep it close for a bit, but the Titans will not be able to keep up with the KC O.   
It seems we've heard this before. 🤔

It's entirely possible the Chiefs get an early lead which makes it tough for Tennessee to catch up. Or Mahomes to Hill can score in ten seconds. But the Titans absolutely can keep this one tight. 

Chiefs should win this easily.    Henry can keep it close for a bit, but the Titans will not be able to keep up with the KC O.   
The Chiefs don't do anything easily.

1. The game this year vs. the Titans. A back and forth game all day. Chiefs finally go up 29-20 in the 4th quarter. Tennessee scores. Chiefs get a FG. Chiefs then have an opportunity to get a FG to go up by 8. But wait - they botch the snap and Tennessee gets great field position and go down the field  to score. The Chiefs then drive and have ANOTHER opportunity to tie the game and the FG gets blocked. Titans win.

2. In the Mariota playoff game, Chiefs are comfortably ahead and Mariota throws a TD pass to HIMSELF when the ball bounces off our defenders and goes right back to Mariota, who proceeds to run it in and change the momentum in the game. On top of that, we sack Mariota and cause a fumble later in the game, only to have Triplett the worst referee in football history call forward progress.  No fumble.   :lol:

The point is, the Titans have the Chiefs number for whatever reason. So this game is a toss-up. And the Titans team is good, and sound in all phases of the game. And they have a coach that has them believing. And that's pretty powerful.

For the Chiefs sake, that Texans game hopefully is their wake-up call. Because if the Titans go up 24-0 with their running game, it's over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to this game.  I don't have any dog in the fight and will be happy for either team that wins the AFC Crown.  I think the game will be close but gotta go with Mahomes.

got a feeling the Chiefs and Spags will have a plan for slowing Henry down at or behind the line of scrimmage....I am sure they will be tired of "hearing about Henry" all week and will make it a team effort to slow him down.....I realize he is still a lot to handle, and many teams have thought about it "before" the game too.....but this is the friggin AFCCG.....Tannehill is going to have to make some plays early.....and TEN will need to stay out of 3rd and long....no false starts, holding calls, etc will be huge for TEN....
Henry does this EVERY season though!  He is a beast down the stretch.  Tannehill has made plays ever since taking over.....I'd bet on the Titans offense over KC's D at this point, unless the crowd noise, and home field advantage gets to to Tannehill.  Biggest game of Tannehills career, and it's going to be rockin in KC......I'm really looking forward to this game!

Titans D doesn't get a lot of love, but they played really good against the Pats and the Ravens.....IF they can get a few key stops, Titans have a decent shot, imo

Henry does this EVERY season though!  He is a beast down the stretch.  Tannehill has made plays ever since taking over.....I'd bet on the Titans offense over KC's D at this point, unless the crowd noise, and home field advantage gets to to Tannehill.  Biggest game of Tannehills career, and it's going to be rockin in KC......I'm really looking forward to this game!

Titans D doesn't get a lot of love, but they played really good against the Pats and the Ravens.....IF they can get a few key stops, Titans have a decent shot, imo
yeah....tyson once said everybody has a plan until they get in the mouth....could be a little of that here....but I think KC will be up to the challenge this week if they sellout....then it's just a matter of can Tannehill and his receivers take advantage consistently throughout the game.....

yeah....tyson once said everybody has a plan until they get in the mouth....could be a little of that here....but I think KC will be up to the challenge this week if they sellout....then it's just a matter of can Tannehill and his receivers take advantage consistently throughout the game.....
If KC carries over from last game, it's curtains for Tennessee......best thing Titans can do is take opening kickoff and run it down KC's throat.....this might be a game where both teams would want to be on offense opening kickoff.

superbowl is on the line....and kc has bren winning ugly lately

Going to be COLD Sunday.

23 at kickoff with a 10mph wind from the NNW. Wind chill should be about 13.

Going to be COLD Sunday.

This bodes well for Henry and the Titans running game......if you've ever played linebacker and had to tackle RB's in super cold weather, you'd know it hurts like a sum#####!

Going to be COLD Sunday.

This bodes well for Henry and the Titans running game......if you've ever played linebacker and had to tackle RB's in super cold weather, you'd know it hurts like a sum#####!
If you've ever played linebacker and had to tackle Derrick Henry in super cold weather... 🥺🥶🥴

Shaping up to be the Titans day for sure.  
I'm certainly not betting on a win there, the chiefs are still (probably) the better team overall. But the Music City boys have a fair chance. 

They just really can't get down early.

Nope. 

They don’t have much of a chance from where I sit.  Look at the odds from Vegas. 
Vegas stupidly doesn't account for the "Ridiculous And Gut Punching Ways The Chiefs Lose" factor.

I have an ulcer that only seems to come up during playoff time to prove it. 

I’d like to get this out-of-the-way now. If the titans win, are Chiefs fans going to call for Reid’s dismissal? It seems like it’s a common thing now and Reid doesn’t have a great “big game” track record. 

I’d like to get this out-of-the-way now. If the titans win, are Chiefs fans going to call for Reid’s dismissal? It seems like it’s a common thing now and Reid doesn’t have a great “big game” track record. 
I doubt it.  They are trending up (young stud QB and an improving defense), and I doubt Reid's boss will hold losing to the team that just beat the Patriots and the 14-2 Ravens against him too much. 

KC knocked off the rust and smoked Houston. They’ll keep it going by overloading the box, limiting Henry and building a lead. 31-17.

Henry has carried 96 (32, 34, 30) times over the last 3 weeks.  I know he is a monster, but does he have another 30-carry game in him?  I checked to see if any other RB has ever had 4 straight 30-carry games, and I couldn't find one.  As a matter of fact, I could only find one other instance of a RB with 3 consecutive 30-carry games (Earl Campbell).  Will Henry be the first to have 4 in a row?  Will he even need to reach 30 to allow TEN to win?

Henry has carried 96 (32, 34, 30) times over the last 3 weeks.  I know he is a monster, but does he have another 30-carry game in him?  I checked to see if any other RB has ever had 4 straight 30-carry games, and I couldn't find one.  As a matter of fact, I could only find one other instance of a RB with 3 consecutive 30-carry games (Earl Campbell).  Will Henry be the first to have 4 in a row?  Will he even need to reach 30 to allow TEN to win?
Wow really? That's surprising. And really impressive. Oilers/Titans for the win.

Cjw_55106 said:

Ghost Rider said:
I doubt it.  They are trending up (young stud QB and an improving defense), and I doubt Reid's boss will hold losing to the team that just beat the Patriots and the 14-2 Ravens against him too much. 
You may find a couple fans who don't understand that other teams can be good too. But there's no chance Veach or the Hunts let him go.

Thanks Frank

he should be running harder at his weight and at his size. I don't see no difficulty in tackling him ...

How many Chiefs smacked Frank for the comment? Honey badger was smarter.

You may find a couple fans who don't understand that other teams can be good too. But there's no chance Veach or the Hunts let him go.
Agreed. 

Now, if the Chiefs lose today and look unprepared in doing so, they may have some questions for Andy considering in KC's last two playoff games prior to today, the team looked unfocused and not ready to play at the start of the game.  Reid's teams are usually awesome off a bye, which is why their terrible start last week was so shocking to me.  

Users who are viewing this thread