What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best TV crime solver/detective (1 Viewer)

parasaurolophus

Footballguy
Been watching The Mentalist on Amazon Prime. I really like the show (minus the lame hypnosis stuff). Got me wondering if there was one crime to solve and you could have any TV detective who would you want? Assume that their abilities are real as presented on TV. 

1.) Columbo is my best/favorite closely
2.) Magnum P.I. - because I spent my teenage years trying to figure out how I could live in paradise, be a beach bum detective, have tons of hot girlfriends and drive someone else's exotic cars while I live in their mansion. . . with endless use of their expensive toys, wine cellar, etc.
3.) Midsomer Murders (seasons 1-13 w/John Nettles)
4.) Sherlock is just an amazing series - I get the impression Cumberbatch is mostly being himself though
5.) Foyles War is pretty excellent

Others:
6.) If The Wire is considered a detective series then The Wire
7.) Rockford Files - I haven't watched this since I was a kid but I was glued to the tube when it was on t.v. way back when.
8.) True Detective first season was amazing

Last edited by a moderator:
Philip Marlowe would be my choice but he's a movie detective, so i'll go with one of the great underdogs in crime fiction, DCS Foyle of BBC's Foyle's War

There are a lot of options and here are some that weren't mentioned:

Shawn & Gus of Psych

Simon & Simon

NCIS Crew

Criminal Minds group

Sherlock from Elementary

Castle

A-Team (although not really sure they are solving crimes but it is a side effect for them)

Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap (he does make right what once was wrong)

Starsky & Hutch

Ponch & John

Charlies Angels

If its for a murder that happened months or years ago where the body has decayed then you probably have to go with the crew from Bones

I miss those two in the booth.    
i miss Summerall/Brookshire much, much more ... not to mention Gowdy/DeRogatis and Frank/Howie/Dandy Don - all better than any booth(s) Madden worked.  

once he (Madden) morphed from legit, fresh personality into  brand schtick it was all over, and he became a tedious watch/listen. 

Magnum PI was always a personal hero.

I remember watching a lot of Murder She Wrote as a kid but I believe they tended to cheat, making the final solution rely on a piece of information Jessica knew but the viewer did not have until nearly the end. 

There was a Murder She Wrote/Magnum PI crossover event at one time too.

But if anyone had to solve a crime for me, just might have to be Lennie Briscoe and Mike Logan. 
Plus they always had to have it wrapped up in about 25 minutes so the lawyers could take over and prosecute the case.  They were way more efficient than these hour long detectives....

I assume that superheroes are out of the running because they are not considered detectives even if they are crime solvers.  That means no Greatest American Hero...……...

But what about MacGyver? 

You mean the guy that didn’t know his own brother-in-law was the biggest meth dealer in the world? Seems like a terrible choice.
Well if he had caught on right off the bat it wouldn't have been much of a series, would it now?

Users who are viewing this thread