What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Music Thread. 9/11 - Flaming Lips, Everything Everything (2 Viewers)

posted this in the Doc thread... felt like it should get put in front of the music people too- I hadn't seen it before, and it's right in their musical sweet spot IMO...

a bunch of years before Stop Making Sense, RAI recorded the Talking Heads live in Italy (1980). if you like the Talking Heads, it's absolutely worth watching... all the same energy and joy as SMS, without any stage sets or costumes. Movie-wise, I wish they didn't just do closeups... I'd have loved to have seen the whole band play at once- especially with all that energy and joy on stage.

interesting RR today...

Streets with IDLES! (not so great, as it turns out... was hoping for more IDLES ala their Streets mashup, and less Skinner)

GRMLN (another week, another GRMLN tune. was thinking about them/him... I always like the tunes and want to playlist them- just hit the right spots for me- but none of them elevate or stick in my noggin).

GBV

James Blake

Bully

Surfjan Stevens

The Beths

Future Islands

Surfer Blood

The Clientele

DA Stern

Frankie and the Witch Fingers

Throwing Muses (!!!!!... seems to be two tracks released- incredible if they're actual new tracks. this one sounds pretty decent in a shoe-gazey way. paging @Musesboy )
Digging the new Bully album.

Pottery... anybody? NV maybe... cannuck band.

google pushed them on my news feed based on a recent parquet courts search (hoping for new material from them). they're interesting- a bit talking heads meets pile meets omni meets ... dunno. I think I like them.

texas drums pt 1
This didn't hold up for me after diving deeper.

rockaction said:
That's what made it so funny. That and I never dug J Church, per se.
They didn't do themselves any favors by putting out so many songs. Or by being Jawbreaker-y while Jawbreaker was active. But, still better than almost all of the Jawbreaker-y bands that proceeded them.

They didn't do themselves any favors by putting out so many songs. Or by being Jawbreaker-y while Jawbreaker was active. But, still better than almost all of the Jawbreaker-y bands that proceeded them.
I never got any of those bands in particular, though I was listening to Jets To Brazil the other day and quite liked it. "Speed on your breakfast plate," begins one of their songs. Interesting thought, that one. 

I should probably revisit J Church and Dear You by Jawbreaker sometime. I remember a friend with an astute music mind (think he trained as an engineer at the Hartford Conservatory or something) was surprised I wasn't into any of those types of bands, really. 

I also think it's interesting you're in a Facebook group. Homeowner's association? 

I never got any of those bands in particular, though I was listening to Jets To Brazil the other day and quite liked it. "Speed on your breakfast plate," begins one of their songs. Interesting thought, that one. 

I should probably revisit J Church and Dear You by Jawbreaker sometime. I remember a friend with an astute music mind (think he trained as an engineer at the Hartford Conservatory or something) was surprised I wasn't into any of those types of bands, really. 

I also think it's interesting you're in a Facebook group. Homeowner's association? 
It's a 90's punk/hc/emo group. Forget the exact title. I'm an old, man, fb is where we hang out.

The new Taylor Swift album is really strong on first listen.  It's produced with Aaron Dessner of the National.

The new Taylor Swift album is really strong on first listen.  It's produced with Aaron Dessner of the National.
figured there was a reason they were pimping it on their IG

new Haken out today finally.  been wearing out those first 3 tunes all summer

RR of interest today...

GRMLN (eta- typically good stuff... I get the sense the pandemic makes no difference to prolific GRMLN)

metz 

####kid

rolling stones + jimmy Page (I haven't liked the stones stuff in a long time... but I'm interested to hear what this sounds like... eta- I liked it. less roots boring bluesy, more jangly 70s)

ron gallo

mini skirt (new album!... eta- another good track- loiokng forward to listening to the album )

lala lala, Beths (looking forward to listening... eta- Baths, not Beths :doh: )

hoodoo gurus (?!)

pj harvey (is this new?)

the wytches

protomartyr (I need to listen to the whole album)

the streets (ditto)

yo la tengo (hoping it's not more ambient drones... I'm not against such stuff- but need to be in the right mood and prefer something else from ylt).

eta: late bloomer track is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
new RR of interest:

spoon

new order (I couldn't make it more than a couple notes into this- ear bleedingly terrible)

districts

tropical #### storm (eta- huh... cover of TH's heaven)

clap your hands say yeah (I've liked the new releases so far)

dizzee rascal

bob mould

shame (was just thinking they were due for something)

bee bee sea (favorite italian garage band)

doves (looks like a full album is out today- :popcorn:  )

lo tom

wasuremono

Share some of the other stuff...the algorithm gremlins aren't setting me up like that.
I was working while it while it was on in the background and I did not note all of them, but I think it was some of these:

Dope Body

Alien Nosejob

USA Nails (I actually thought this one was IDELS)

Surfbort

Touche Amore

Inevitables

and the new Repalcements!

I really liked my RR this week... it was a little rappy, and I have no idea why John WIlliams is there every week, but this is the best one I have had in a while. 

I was working while it while it was on in the background and I did not note all of them, but I think it was some of these:

Dope Body

Alien Nosejob

USA Nails (I actually thought this one was IDELS)

Surfbort

Touche Amore

Inevitables

and the new Repalcements!

I really liked my RR this week... it was a little rappy, and I have no idea why John WIlliams is there every week, but this is the best one I have had in a while. 
Thanks!

It's been giving me Surfbort, but none of the others. And it's fixated on giving me songs weekly from the dirty projectors latest thing, which is not so great. Also get some out there rap- japanese, russian, spanish language and uk grime.

Replacements?!! New, or backissue/rerelease?

I'll give the usa nails a go. 

True story: I just accidentally watched that video. No clue it was new.

ETA: it was bananas
I actually haven't watched it all the way through. I posted it because I've listened to the song at least ten-fifteen times since Rhymesayers announced his album in my inbox yesterday. I'll have to check it out, then. 

eta* indeed bananas. very cool, IMHO.

This is the first year in over 2 decades that I have paid no attention to new music. I am going to blame COVID but I could just be getting old. 

Despite being squarely in my wheelhouse, the Flaming Lips never seem to land with me. This one is awesome. 

You might want to give The Soft Bulletin another listen.  I agree that this new one is quite good.  One of their best.
I haven't liked a Lips album since Embryonic, but the singles I've heard from the new one are good and I am reading many good things about it, so I will check it out.  Wayne Coyne's voice is done (it was done the last time I saw them live 6-7 years ago), but they do enough studio magic with their trippy effects to hide it most of the time.

The Soft Bulletin through Embronic was a helluva run.

You might want to give The Soft Bulletin another listen.  I agree that this new one is quite good.  One of their best.
it's their best imo. kind of came out of nowhere too considering they were a 1-hit wonder 90s band and they came with something with the sonic and thematic depth of Softest Bulletin

Users who are viewing this thread