Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Florida Politics

The Commish

We have a murder trial in Minnesota, let's get the opinion of the Governor of Florida!;

Ron DeSantis on Chauvin's jury conviction: "If that's something that can potentially happen, where you have justice meted out because the jury is scared of what a mob may do -- not saying that's what happened here ... [but] that's completely antithetical to the rule of law."

:moneybag:

moRoness is ramping up idiotic decisions at a record pace:

moRoness sued over new anti riot law

moRoness suggest Chauvin jury scared of mobs

moRoness lets the unemployed suffer, $275 is plenty

Just before midnight, moRoness reveals he’s signed $1 billion tax on consumers

This is the new Republican life raft presidential candidate they're about to cling to?

LMFAO, this guy will seal his own doom without any assistance. Watch him implode without dignity, just a matter of time.

• Sad 1

Seems things are going a "different" direction these days...almost like one has switched course and focused on the White House.  Apparently, this new era is going to be one where businesses AREN'T allowed to do what they feel is right for themselves, their customers/employees or their platforms.

https://flaglerlive.com/162802/forcing-speech/

On 4/17/2021 at 7:38 PM, Joe Mammy said:

And I guess there will be a degree of his believers that will get sick and die. Wonderful indeed...

I think the key word was vaccinated. I am happy that I'm lucky enough to live in the free state of Florida and that we have competent leader such as Desantis. I mean lord I could live in a disastrous  place like California or heaven forbid New York.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rustycolts said:

I think the key word was vaccinated. I am happy that I'm lucky enough to live in the free state of Florida and that we have competent leader such as Desantis. I mean lord I could live in a disastrous  place like California or heaven forbid New York.

Remember this time last year, when DeSantis was the evil guy cooking the books on covid-19 while Andrew Cuomo was the role model for how good government is supposed to operate?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:
49 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Remember this time last year, when DeSantis was the evil guy cooking the books on covid-19 ... ?

This part is still true, right?

Nate Silver says no. (Well, he says no about cooking the books now ... not sure about a year ago.)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Maurile Tremblay said:
37 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:
49 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Remember this time last year, when DeSantis was the evil guy cooking the books on covid-19 ... ?

This part is still true, right?

Nate Silver says no. (Well, he says no about now ... not sure about a year ago.)

"We'd have mentioned it." - 60 Minutes probably

1 hour ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Remember this time last year, when DeSantis was the evil guy cooking the books on covid-19 while Andrew Cuomo was the role model for how good government is supposed to operate?

Point being, they arent all that different after all?  Bad, but in different ways?

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

Point being, they arent all that different after all?  Bad, but in different ways?

Come on man. I enjoy reading your posts because your an intelligent guy who usually does not go off the deep end. I rarely agree with you but I like getting your perspective.  You could not be more wrong here. They are as different as nite and day. You may not like DeSantis but comparing him to Cumo its not even close. Cumo imo only cares about himself and no one else. He is an example of what gives politician's a bad name.

26 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Come on man. I enjoy reading your posts because your an intelligent guy who usually does not go off the deep end. I rarely agree with you but I like getting your perspective.  You could not be more wrong here. They are as different as nite and day. You may not like DeSantis but comparing him to Cumo its not even close. Cumo imo only cares about himself and no one else. He is an example of what gives politician's a bad name.

You will see my honest assessment of DeSantis in this thread.  When he was doing good things, I said so.  When he was doing bad things I said so.  He's made a pretty clear choice as of September this last year putting politics over everything else.  To me, and yeah, it's a high bar, but neither of those men clear it.  I can't speak personally about either one.  I know very little about either one, but to my standard I hold my representatives they both seem to be failing quite easily.  :shrug: 

16 hours ago, The Commish said:

I don't have an opinion on whether DeSantis is a good governor or not, but he didn't kill a bunch of old people, cover up their deaths, and later unwind by sexually harassing everybody in a skirt.  So no, I'd say they're quite a bit different.

Edit: Bonus points if, after killing a bunch of old people and covering up their deaths, you write a book telling the world how great you are at not killing old people.

Edited by IvanKaramazov
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I don't have an opinion on whether DeSantis is a good governor or not, but he didn't kill a bunch of old people, cover up their deaths, and later unwind by sexually harassing everybody in a skirt.  So no, I'd say they're quite a bit different.

Edit: Bonus points if, after killing a bunch of old people and covering up their deaths, you write a book telling the world how great you are at not killing old people.

Thanks....thought it was primarily a "handling of Covid" thing you were talking about. 

Florida State Surgeon General counterdicts CDC. Says if you are fully vaccinated no need to wear masks. Makes sense I mean if your vaccinated you can't get it so you can't spread it. Sorry no link because I don't know how to do that on this stupid cell phone.

16 hours ago, rustycolts said:

Florida State Surgeon General counterdicts CDC. Says if you are fully vaccinated no need to wear masks. Makes sense I mean if your vaccinated you can't get it so you can't spread it. Sorry no link because I don't know how to do that on this stupid cell phone.

I could be mistaken but I thought that part was still being debated/researced...meaning that even if I'm fully vaccinated, I could still possibly be a carrier of it to someone else (even if doesn't really affect me).  No?

3 hours ago, eoMMan said:

I could be mistaken but I thought that part was still being debated/researced...meaning that even if I'm fully vaccinated, I could still possibly be a carrier of it to someone else (even if doesn't really affect me).  No?

You know I can't honestly say. It seems in the past vaccines eradicated these extremely dangerous diseases. Polio and small pox just a couple of examples. Maybe I have a false sense of security but isn't that what vaccines are for to make it safe for people again.

21 hours ago, rustycolts said:

I posted in the coronavirus thread but Florida passed a law to ban vaccine passports but rejected the amendment you could be fired for getting a vaccine....that seems pretty freaking dumb, especially with this news.

I'll support "freedom of choice" towards the vaccine argument but how they then support the opposite? Zero sense 😂

2 hours ago, rustycolts said:

You know I can't honestly say. It seems in the past vaccines eradicated these extremely dangerous diseases. Polio and small pox just a couple of examples. Maybe I have a false sense of security but isn't that what vaccines are for to make it safe for people again.

Not all vaccines are alike.

Some vaccines prevent you from catching the disease. Other vaccines only prevent you from experiencing symptoms (but you could still catch it and spread it).

Some vaccines give you permanent immunity. Others (like the flu vaccine) will only give you immunity for a few months.

Some vaccines give you immunity from many "mutations" of the same disease. Others will not.

Because the COVID vaccines are so new, we don't know exactly how they will work for the long term. But based on what has been observed so far, it seems that the COVID vaccines DO significantly reduce the likelihood of catching and spreading the disease, and also give you immunity from some of the mutations.

But some of the mutations are stronger than others. For example, the vaccines are not as effective against the strain in South Africa known as B.1.351. And there's a new strain in India (B.1.617) which may be at least partially to blame for their recent spike in cases. India's vaccination record is so poor that we really don't know yet if the vaccines are effective against B.1.617.

I'm fully vaccinated, but I still wear a mask when I'm indoors around large groups of strangers. It just doesn't seem worth the risk to me, even if that risk is tiny. It's such a minor inconvenience to continue wearing the mask, and I'd rather be overly cautious then permanently sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yea my family and I are still wearing masks,but it really just to make others feel better. I'm a little older so I believe in vaccines. I have seen what they can do in my lifetime. I'm also a strong believer in science and medicine in most cases. When I was in the service in the 70s I contracted hep c because of the way they administered shots back then. Of course never knew I had it until I tried to give blood after 9/11. Anyway when they said they could probably get rid of it with a regiment of shots and pills if I continued treatment for 6 months. I jumped all over it.It was the hardest thing I've ever done but it was worth it. They have a single pill now that they take that cures it. Medicine is a wonderful thing.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, belljr said:

I posted in the coronavirus thread but Florida passed a law to ban vaccine passports but rejected the amendment you could be fired for getting a vaccine....that seems pretty freaking dumb, especially with this news.

I'll support "freedom of choice" towards the vaccine argument but how they then support the opposite? Zero sense 😂

It's pretty in line with "Open up the way I, ME, MYSELF says open up!!!"  It's really weird.  

20 hours ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Florida's Grim Reaper celebrating 1 year anniversary of being completely wrong. LINK

Uhlfelder is a cool guy. I've hung with him at chamber mixers in Destin. He does alot to fight to keep the beaches open to the public as the condos squeeze privacy lines in the sand. 

Completely wrong? Hardly. Deaths still mounting. Do you live in a cave?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

Uhlfelder is a cool guy. I've hung with him at chamber mixers in Destin. He does alot to fight to keep the beaches open to the public as the condos squeeze privacy lines in the sand. 

Completely wrong? Hardly. Deaths still mounting. Do you live in a cave?

He's such a cool guy an appeals court in Florida has referred one of his cases to the Florida Bar for possible ethics violations.  Great guy!!!!

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/401750-court-refers-grim-reaper-beach-case-to-florida-bar/

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, John123 said:

He's such a cool guy an appeals court in Florida has referred one of his cases to the Florida Bar for possible ethics violations.  Great guy!!!!

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/401750-court-refers-grim-reaper-beach-case-to-florida-bar/

Have you had a bev with him? I have. He's a cool guy in my opinion. So be cool says I.

Edited by Joe Mammy
  • Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

Have you had a bev with him? I have. He's a cool guy in my opinion. So #### off!

Obama had a beer with a cop and a professor and set race relations back 50 years and is responsible for the "woke" and "cancel" cultures we have now.

Edited by BladeRunner

2 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Obama had a beer with a cop and a professor and set race relations back 50 years and is responsible for the "woke" and "cancel" cultures we have now.

I'm glad you captured my initial post before I wisely edited to avoid any time out situations.

Are you guys out of your minds? You're now #####ing about Obama?

In case you are not aware, this is the FL ####### Politics thread. Can we please remember why we're here?

1 minute ago, Joe Mammy said:

I'm glad you captured my initial post before I wisely edited to avoid any time out situations.

Are you guys out of your minds? You're now #####ing about Obama?

In case you are not aware, this is the FL ####### Politics thread. Can we please remember why we're here?

Just sayin', dude.  Geez.

You seem to think just because you have a beer with someone they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I just showed that it takes more than a beer.  :shrug:

Just now, BladeRunner said:

Just sayin', dude.  Geez.

You seem to think just because you have a beer with someone they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I just showed that it takes more than a beer.  :shrug:

To put it nicely, you didn't show dick. I know this guy fights for public beaches in a money grabbing, every speck of beach sand is $$$$ and he fights for the public space. Few do.

Just now, Joe Mammy said:

To put it nicely, you didn't show dick. I know this guy fights for public beaches in a money grabbing, every speck of beach sand is $$$$ and he fights for the public space. Few do.

I not only showed you Richard, I set it up so even a caveman could understand it.  :shrug:

8 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

I not only showed you Richard, I set it up so even a caveman could understand it.  :shrug:

Have you contributed one thought on the current actual subject here? Do you even know what it is? 

My thoughts evolved around a guy I know who fights for public beach space. I like him. Get it?

9 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

Not sure I agree with his take from a year ago, but it was a year ago so maybe he is not so Grim anymore. 

Anyone fighting for our beaches is OK in my book. Development has ruined a lot of our beaches as far as I am concerned.  In my area you have yo go to Flagler Beach or better yet Canaveral National Park to get even close to the beautiful beaches we used to have. So thumbs up to that guy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

Doing St. Aug and Flagler Beach next week. I LOVE FL!

Don't know if you have been before but you should try The Conch House or Creek Side Dinery both great places  to eat with great views. Also the ghost tour is pretty fun.

1 minute ago, rustycolts said:

Don't know if you have been before but you should try The Conch House or Creek Side Dinery both great places  to eat with great views. Also the ghost tour is pretty fun.

I've been a fan of the Conch House, particularly the crow's nest since the '80s. Always firing water balloons at the dinghy and digging the Reggae Sundays.

Creek Side Dinery will be new.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Completely agree - but the nutjob wasn't fighting for our beaches.

Yea I know, but maybe he has in the past. I don't know I don't live in L.A. (lower Alabama)but maybe he has done some good. I can put up with fruit cakes when they are actually doing some good.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Completely agree - but the nutjob wasn't fighting for our beaches.

To be clear. He is a brilliant attorney. He fights for the public. He wore the reaper outfit to fight opening the beaches early. At the time it was not unreasonable.

Nutjob? undeserving

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

I've been a fan of the Conch House, particularly the crow's nest since the '80s. Always firing water balloons at the dinghy and digging the Reggae Sundays.

Creek Side Dinery will be new.

Since the 80s well your definitely not wet behind the ears. Next to Cedar Key , Flagler Beach and St. Augustine my favorite day trips.

And DeSantis' response was pretty funny:

“I implore them, from my political interest: Run on closing schools,” Mr. DeSantis said on Tuesday about Democrats. “Run on locking people down. Run on closing businesses.” He added: “I would love to have that debate.”

Who the hell is going to run on that?  :lmao: 

I hope he's aware that he's going to have to explain why businesses were closing under his watch at a higher clip when everything was "open" than when the mandates were in place.  He's also going to have to explain his "We have to let businesses make decisions on what's best for them to operate safely" vs "Oh, you can't open that way!" messaging among a myriad of other things.  I doubt ANYONE takes the positions he's hoping they do :lol: 

No way Crist even makes it out of the Primary and that’s a good thing. This guy always seems like he’s shooting for another job while not really doing the one he has imo.

46 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

No way Crist even makes it out of the Primary and that’s a good thing. This guy always seems like he’s shooting for another job while not really doing the one he has imo.

Agreed. Nikki Fried and Val Demings would be better choices. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

Agreed. Nikki Fried and Val Demings would be better choices. 

I know no one is talking about Jerry Demings, but he's been impressive with the work he's doing in the Orlando area.  I don't know all his political positions, but almost every single decision he's made here has a well thought out philosophy behind it.  

• Like 1