What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Florida Politics (2 Viewers)

It was a simple yes or no question.  it's also not good to answer a question with a question but I understand why.
I guess you wish to stay unenlightened. In the article the Miami Herald has irrefutable evidence of mishandled numbers by the FDH. It does mention her previous run-ins with the law and points out she has never been convicted. It also has text messages between the Dem who just came forward and her. He is obviously terrified he will lose his job if he doesn't back goober.

So I believe after reviewing the evidence that her claims about goober have validity. 

I guess you wish to stay unenlightened. In the article the Miami Herald has irrefutable evidence of mishandled numbers by the FDH. It does mention her previous run-ins with the law and points out she has never been convicted. It also has text messages between the Dem who just came forward and her. He is obviously terrified he will lose his job if he doesn't back goober.

So I believe after reviewing the evidence that her claims about goober have validity. 
Wait, are you talking about Rebekah Jones?  I can't read the article because it's behind a paywall or something. 

Still can't give a yes or no, huh?  Don't want to be held to it later I guess.  Understandable.

Still can't give a yes or no, huh?  Don't want to be held to it later I guess.  Understandable.
Again. How many times do I have to spell it out for you? Please read the article. The Miami Herald offers a free read of the evidence holding article complete with tweets and text messages.

Again. How many times do I have to spell it out for you? Please read the article. The Miami Herald offers a free read of the evidence holding article complete with tweets and text messages.

A simply yes or no on her credibility will suffice, so you can't weasel your way out of it later.  Why are you unwilling to commit?

A simply yes or no on her credibility will suffice, so you can't weasel your way out of it later.  Why are you unwilling to commit?
I've answered. No weasel.  For the third time:

If you took the time to read the evidence you would have to agree. You obviously won't read it. So I'm done with you. Have fun poking sticks with your head buried in the sand.

At it again....first it was "CRT" that had nothing to do with actual CRT, now we are vetoing civics legislation that passed unanimously through the lower chambers.  It's almost like he doesn't want people understanding how civics works.  The bill in question

At it again....first it was "CRT" that had nothing to do with actual CRT, now we are vetoing civics legislation that passed unanimously through the lower chambers.  It's almost like he doesn't want people understanding how civics works.  The bill in question

Turns out Desantis had good reason to veto this bill:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/desantis-vetoes-stealth-protest-civics-bill/?utm_source=blog-landing&utm_medium=desktop&utm_campaign=continue-reading

Two questions about the Florida civics bill:

1) Is there a way to override DeSantis’s veto?  If it passed unanimously it seems like that would happen.

2) What’s so bad about teaching kids how to protest and lobby for what they want from the government?  Isn’t that part of civic engagement?

This was a bill driven by the state GOP and the dems jumped on board. I can only imagine the "take" national review is trying to sell you. State GOP all part of the deep state now?
I don't care who created the bill.  I don't know squat about Florida politics, nor do I really care.  What I care about is what is best for this country.  I give credit to a politician willing to do what's right, regardless of whether it affects his own party or not.  In this case, I read a compelling article that showed there was a valid reason to veto this bill.  Your hatred of Desantis is affecting your objectivity.

I give credit to a politician willing to do what's right, regardless of whether it affects his own party or not.
I’m not sure where you’re getting the “regardless of whether it affects his own party” idea.  This is from the linked National Review article:

In fact, it was a quiet effort to gain money and state sponsorship for protest civics (aka “action civics”), a practice that grants course credit for student political protests and lobbying, almost invariably for leftist causes. 

Seems to me that the National Review article and DeSantis likely took their positions for political reasons.

I’m not sure where you’re getting the “regardless of whether it affects his own party” idea.  This is from the linked National Review article:

In fact, it was a quiet effort to gain money and state sponsorship for protest civics (aka “action civics”), a practice that grants course credit for student political protests and lobbying, almost invariably for leftist causes. 

Seems to me that the National Review article and DeSantis likely took their positions for political reasons.
I was responding to the Commish's post.  Talk to him.

I was responding to the Commish's post.  Talk to him.
Right, you correctly pointed out that DeSantis and Republicans in the Florida legislature disagreed here.  Then you seem to have jumped to the conclusion that the DeSantis’s veto was therefore apolitical.  That seems like an unjustified assumption.

I don't care who created the bill.  I don't know squat about Florida politics, nor do I really care.  What I care about is what is best for this country.  I give credit to a politician willing to do what's right, regardless of whether it affects his own party or not.  In this case, I read a compelling article that showed there was a valid reason to veto this bill.  Your hatred of Desantis is affecting your objectivity.
The bill is linked above. If you can read it and then explain how the article you linked is "compelling" given its gross misinterpretation of the bill you put forth in your comment, that would be great. 

My comment had nothing to do with DeSantis, rather what appears to be a gross mischaracterization by National Review that you seemed to lap up, without question. I linked the bill for all to read on their own.  Its short. You should read it. 

I'll also point out that i think its cute you think he did this for the right reasons and not political ones. That might be a worse read on motive than National Review read on what the bill is. 

The Commish said:
The bill is linked above. If you can read it and then explain how the article you linked is "compelling" given its gross misinterpretation of the bill you put forth in your comment, that would be great. 

My comment had nothing to do with DeSantis, rather what appears to be a gross mischaracterization by National Review that you seemed to lap up, without question. I linked the bill for all to read on their own.  Its short. You should read it. 

I'll also point out that i think its cute you think he did this for the right reasons and not political ones. That might be a worse read on motive than National Review read on what the bill is. 
I read the bill.  I'm gonna pass on continuing this discussion.  You're a little too heated about it.  I don't know what your beef is with this governor but clearly it makes it impossible to have a reasoned discussion with you about him or anything he touches that you don't agree with.  I notice you didn't comment on his signing of the police reform law I posted above.  I wonder why........

I read the bill.  I'm gonna pass on continuing this discussion.  You're a little too heated about it.  I don't know what your beef is with this governor but clearly it makes it impossible to have a reasoned discussion with you about him or anything he touches that you don't agree with.  I notice you didn't comment on his signing of the police reform law I posted above.  I wonder why........
Did you ask our thoughts or make a comment or were we just supposed to guess your intentions or desires?  

I haven't discussed the governor personally yet. Its not about him,  but you keep bringing him up and I'm glad that after reading the bill you decide to not go further. Thats really the only option given the article's interpretation.  :hifive:

Last edited by a moderator:
So 16 months out, what are people thinking about the governor's race? I'm having a hard time picturing anyone taking out DeSantis. He won a squeaker last time as a non-incumbent in a generally pro-Dem environment, and this year he's an incumbent in what's likely to be a GOP year, and while I think there's some BS in his "winning the pandemic" narrative, Dems don't really have a good counter to it.

There's also the fact that the Dem field appears underwhelming. I like Nikki Fried, but I've long suspected she doesn't have "it". And don't even get me started on Crist. I don't know what issues the guy has (and no, I'm not talking about the rumors), but it's just weird that he voluntarily gave up the governor's mansion as an incumbent and then keeps trying to get it back. I think Demings is the strongest candidate the Dems have, and I expect her to give Rubio a run for his money, but it leaves the cupboard pretty bare for the gubernatorial race.

I also think that when it comes to his opponents' incompetence, DeSantis is the luckiest politician since Bill Clinton. I think there are plenty of legitimate lines of attack on him -- most significantly, his refusal to lift a finger to get anyone other than seniors vaccinated -- but both Dems and the media are constantly overplaying their hand with the likes of #DeathSantis, Rebekah Jones and the 60 Minutes hit piece.

So 16 months out, what are people thinking about the governor's race? I'm having a hard time picturing anyone taking out DeSantis. He won a squeaker last time as a non-incumbent in a generally pro-Dem environment, and this year he's an incumbent in what's likely to be a GOP year, and while I think there's some BS in his "winning the pandemic" narrative, Dems don't really have a good counter to it.

There's also the fact that the Dem field appears underwhelming. I like Nikki Fried, but I've long suspected she doesn't have "it". And don't even get me started on Crist. I don't know what issues the guy has (and no, I'm not talking about the rumors), but it's just weird that he voluntarily gave up the governor's mansion as an incumbent and then keeps trying to get it back. I think Demings is the strongest candidate the Dems have, and I expect her to give Rubio a run for his money, but it leaves the cupboard pretty bare for the gubernatorial race.

I also think that when it comes to his opponents' incompetence, DeSantis is the luckiest politician since Bill Clinton. I think there are plenty of legitimate lines of attack on him -- most significantly, his refusal to lift a finger to get anyone other than seniors vaccinated -- but both Dems and the media are constantly overplaying their hand with the likes of #DeathSantis, Rebekah Jones and the 60 Minutes hit piece.
It's his to lose.  He started out much better than I could have ever imagined but since COVID has turned into the standard political hypocrite.  It's unfortunate because I do think some of his ideas are decent and make sense, especially on environmental problems, but his desires to be President have turned him into a shill and he plays the part very well.  This should be relatively clear when you see people drop from these threads like flies after reading the actual legislation vs what the "right wing" interpretation is of said legislation.  

Kudos for putting the politics to the side and addressing the tragedy in Surfside with class Ron :thumbup:  
It's interesting. My wife is currently in Maine while I'm in Miami (heading up tomorrow to be with her). A few days after this happened, she commented to me that, based on the national news reports she was seeing, DeSantis was all over the response. I was surprised to hear her say that, because my impression being on the ground here was that it was Miami-Dade Mayor Levine Cava who had really been out front, while DeSantis had receded into the background.

I don't really care to speculate on political implications and who's "winning" the Surfside response (even typing that phrase makes me feel gross). I just thought it was funny that we had such opposite perspectives.

It's interesting. My wife is currently in Maine while I'm in Miami (heading up tomorrow to be with her). A few days after this happened, she commented to me that, based on the national news reports she was seeing, DeSantis was all over the response. I was surprised to hear her say that, because my impression being on the ground here was that it was Miami-Dade Mayor Levine Cava who had really been out front, while DeSantis had receded into the background.

I don't really care to speculate on political implications and who's "winning" the Surfside response (even typing that phrase makes me feel gross). I just thought it was funny that we had such opposite perspectives.
Yes.  I was happy to see him relegate himself to a support role.  That's his job.  He hasn't politicized this at all that I know of and for that I am grateful.  That's a big step in today's political climate.  Others have chosen to take different paths.  

I can't speak to what the national news is saying.  I'll watch CBS Evening News occasionally, but not all the time.  The times I have watched, he's not been mentioned at all.  

Yes.  I was happy to see him relegate himself to a support role.  That's his job.  He hasn't politicized this at all that I know of and for that I am grateful.  That's a big step in today's political climate.  Others have chosen to take different paths.  

I can't speak to what the national news is saying.  I'll watch CBS Evening News occasionally, but not all the time.  The times I have watched, he's not been mentioned at all.  
I don't generally watch national news either, but I did the first couple days after it happened, and I feel like I mostly saw DLC. I obviously saw both of them appearing with Biden last week.

Aside from his politics (which I abhor), my general impression is that DeSantis isn't that bad of a guy. He's way smarter than people give him credit for, and while he is a bit of a weirdo introvert, I can't exactly hold that against him, being a bit of a weirdo introvert myself. If for whatever reason Trump doesn't run in '24 (which is looking increasingly unlikely), DeSantis will be formidable in both the primary and the general.

On the other hand, if Trump runs and makes DeSantis his running mate, I'll be less worried. The irony of DeSantis so slavishly embracing Trump early on is that it gives him some wiggle room in terms of carving out his own identity that folks like Cruz or Nikki Haley don't have. But if he has to spend months on the campaign trail tying himself to Trump's increasingly unhinged conspiracy theories (not to mention the background leaks about how they'd have a better chance with him at the top of the ticket, which you just know will go over well with a narcissist like Trump), he will be significantly diminished by the time it's over.

I don't generally watch national news either, but I did the first couple days after it happened, and I feel like I mostly saw DLC. I obviously saw both of them appearing with Biden last week.

Aside from his politics (which I abhor), my general impression is that DeSantis isn't that bad of a guy. He's way smarter than people give him credit for, and while he is a bit of a weirdo introvert, I can't exactly hold that against him, being a bit of a weirdo introvert myself. If for whatever reason Trump doesn't run in '24 (which is looking increasingly unlikely), DeSantis will be formidable in both the primary and the general.

On the other hand, if Trump runs and makes DeSantis his running mate, I'll be less worried. The irony of DeSantis so slavishly embracing Trump early on is that it gives him some wiggle room in terms of carving out his own identity that folks like Cruz or Nikki Haley don't have. But if he has to spend months on the campaign trail tying himself to Trump's increasingly unhinged conspiracy theories (not to mention the background leaks about how they'd have a better chance with him at the top of the ticket, which you just know will go over well with a narcissist like Trump), he will be significantly diminished by the time it's over.
Pretty much agree with everything here and if one goes back in this thread, it's noted that I was pleasantly surprised with his decision making early on.  If I can have THAT Ron DeSantis, it's no big deal to me.  If we get the one that has shown up lately, then I'm not all that interested.  There's no question of his ultimate goal and I'd be surprised if he latched himself to Trump directly as his running mate.  

Kudos for putting the politics to the side and addressing the tragedy in Surfside with class Ron :thumbup:  
That's what I'm seeing from the Miami locals. I like these comments from Val Demmings and Danielle Levine Cava:

>>The governor has been decisive. He’s been constant. He’s been collaborative,” Miami-Dade County Mayor Danielle Levine Cava, a Democrat who has sparred with DeSantis in the past, said in an interview. "Hats off to the governor for how he has supported us in this crisis.”<<

>>Rep. Val Demings, a Democrat seeking to challenge GOP Sen. Marco Rubio, said she was “glad to see productive partnership between local, state, and federal officials as we work to save lives.

“In times of crisis,” she said, “we need to set partisanship aside and do what’s right for our communities.”<<

https://www.local10.com/news/politics/2021/07/09/desantis-parts-with-trump-in-response-to-surfside-tragedy/

Why are people posting GA crap in the FL Politics thread? Start a GA thread. 

We're busy fighting red tide.
How is it this year? I’ve heard it’s going to be a bad one. 

Also, where are you located? I’m in Miami, which hasn’t seen anything yet (although typically, if we’re getting a red tide then you know it’s really bad).

Also, where are you located? I’m in Miami, which hasn’t seen anything yet (although typically, if we’re getting a red tide then you know it’s really bad).
It’s all over the place around Tampa Bay

Seems to be a ton of posts in here from people who really have no idea of the local things going on...only what CNN, MSNBC and FOX are telling them...it's weird, but expected to some extent.  Though I will say, it's always interesting to hear how the state's painted nationally vs the realities of what's really going on.  Just furthers my disdain for our national media complex.  

It’s all over the place around Tampa Bay
Had some friends in the St Pete Beach area a few weeks ago.  They saw some questionable things a couple days, but generally enjoyed themselves.  Thought there was a funk in the air a couple days too.  Honestly, I've not seen it here in Central Florida.  Not sure I'd even know it if I saw it.

Had some friends in the St Pete Beach area a few weeks ago.  They saw some questionable things a couple days, but generally enjoyed themselves.  Thought there was a funk in the air a couple days too.  Honestly, I've not seen it here in Central Florida.  Not sure I'd even know it if I saw it.
You’d know it if you saw it. And you’d definitely know if you smelled it. 

And there's a bunch of dead fish that go along with it right?
Dead fish, manatees, dolphins. The dead fish stink horribly. And if you breath red tide you'll know it, affects sinuses and magnifies allergies.

I saw on the local news last night very affluent neighborhoods that are on canals off of Tampa Bay with just wall to wall dead fish.

Dead fish, manatees, dolphins. The dead fish stink horribly. And if you breath red tide you'll know it, affects sinuses and magnifies allergies.

I saw on the local news last night very affluent neighborhoods that are on canals off of Tampa Bay with just wall to wall dead fish.
:X

Saw the same story. That looks real bad. 

I know there was big talk about fixing this red tide issue in the Governor race and I THOUGHT I had seen some changes come down, but maybe that's wrong?  What's the status on resolving that issue?

I know there was big talk about fixing this red tide issue in the Governor race and I THOUGHT I had seen some changes come down, but maybe that's wrong?  What's the status on resolving that issue?
Just declarations and no real changes imo. 

The Commish said:
Wonder what the hold up is....it's obvious they can do what they want.
Here's a great read by one of my fav FL authors, Craig Pittman:

Florida’s air quality is great — just don’t inhale the algae bloom poison

Paraphrased:

In May 2019, the CDC announced it would conduct its first-ever study of the health effects of blue-green algae among Lake Okeechobee fishing guides.

John Cassani of the Southwest Florida environmental group Calusa Waterkeeper said such a study is desperately needed as the frequency and duration of these algae blooms increase.

“We feel a sense of urgency,” he told me.

That same sense of urgency has apparently not reached DeSantis or the Legislature. A bill filed earlier this year to adopt all the recommendations of the scientists the governor had appointed to the Blue-Green Algae Task Force died in committee.

Cassani noted that DeSantis did nothing to try to resuscitate it, despite promising in 2018 that he’d work tirelessly to dispel the blooms and their effects.

Joe Mammy said:

Florida politics are boring.. Desantis will beat Crist by 10 points plus.. DeSantis is probably the best Governor in America. Most popular too.

I love how he triggers the left.

Florida politics are boring.. Desantis will beat Crist by 10 points plus.. DeSantis is probably the best Governor in America. Most popular too.

Troll much? If you had a clue about FL you'd know that Nikki is the babe to beat in the next Guber. 

You suffer from FL envy. Too bad we're full.

Now go beat your lousy GA gov's drum who's afraid of the babe who flipped the Senate.

The Commish said:
Seems to be a ton of posts in here from people who really have no idea of the local things going on...only what CNN, MSNBC and FOX are telling them...it's weird, but expected to some extent.  Though I will say, it's always interesting to hear how the state's painted nationally vs the realities of what's really going on.  Just furthers my disdain for our national media complex.  
Right on cue :lol:

Speaking as one internal to the state, the only thing I take issue with his is flip flopping on businesses being allowed to do what they feel is the right thing for the businesses.  I am not surprised at his choosing of narrative over science when that choice had to be made.  Disappointed?  Yes, but only because he was on the right track and could have stayed there and NOT wasted our tax dollars by doing the right thing.  The back tracking on cruise lines has probably been the most entertaining thing about him, but again, not surprising.

The rest of his action has generally be punting to local groups allowing locally elected officials to do their thing.  It's always funny to watch him run in and take credit, but it's not unexpected.  Generally speaking, he could have been a lot worse, but most of his "decrees" have been relatively toothless and he's done very little to the municipalities who have ignored him/them.  This is a general comment across the board, not just with COVID.  

I know few people who have a strong opinion of him one way or the other.  Most are of the 'meh' opinion of him and his impacts on the state.  Our state will continue to be a petri dish in terms of COVID, but at this point I don't care about those choosing not to get vaccinated.  That's on them.  It sucks for my 4 and 9 year old who can't get vaccinated yet that they have to continue to wear masks when they see few others wearing them any more, but my county is near the bottom of the state in terms of vax %, so we have to do what's right for them.  Hopefully we'll get emergency auth for them sooner rather than later.  Until then we'll enjoy our local Trump parades for what they are and just shake our heads as we experience this new world we're living in.  It's a site to behold down here for sure.  

Right on cue :lol:

Speaking as one internal to the state, the only thing I take issue with his is flip flopping on businesses being allowed to do what they feel is the right thing for the businesses.  I am not surprised at his choosing of narrative over science when that choice had to be made.  Disappointed?  Yes, but only because he was on the right track and could have stayed there and NOT wasted our tax dollars by doing the right thing.  The back tracking on cruise lines has probably been the most entertaining thing about him, but again, not surprising.

The rest of his action has generally be punting to local groups allowing locally elected officials to do their thing.  It's always funny to watch him run in and take credit, but it's not unexpected.  Generally speaking, he could have been a lot worse, but most of his "decrees" have been relatively toothless and he's done very little to the municipalities who have ignored him/them.  This is a general comment across the board, not just with COVID.  

I know few people who have a strong opinion of him one way or the other.  Most are of the 'meh' opinion of him and his impacts on the state.  Our state will continue to be a petri dish in terms of COVID, but at this point I don't care about those choosing not to get vaccinated.  That's on them.  It sucks for my 4 and 9 year old who can't get vaccinated yet that they have to continue to wear masks when they see few others wearing them any more, but my county is near the bottom of the state in terms of vax %, so we have to do what's right for them.  Hopefully we'll get emergency auth for them sooner rather than later.  Until then we'll enjoy our local Trump parades for what they are and just shake our heads as we experience this new world we're living in.  It's a site to behold down here for sure.  
What happened to My Body, My Choice?

Aand get those masks off your kids. The virus has very little effect on kids that age. Especially 9.

Users who are viewing this thread