What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Florida Politics (2 Viewers)

At least she nailed him down to admit that covid vaccinations reduce hospitalizations. "Based on scientific data of course." You could tell he really, really did not want to say anything good about vaccines.  Her rephrasing to get an answer was teeth pulling.

It's amazing that we are supposed to take advice from such a quack. And even more amazing that our gov appointed him to lead FL in public health matters.

At least she nailed him down to admit that covid vaccinations reduce hospitalizations. "Based on scientific data of course." You could tell he really, really did not want to say anything good about vaccines.  Her rephrasing to get an answer was teeth pulling.

It's amazing that we are supposed to take advice from such a quack. And even more amazing that our gov appointed him to lead FL in public health matters.
Joseph Lapado still doesn't want the public to know if he has been vaccinated. That's a step further than DeSantis who got his J&J shot behind closed doors.  Maybe he could save a few lives, especially among the high number of vaccine hesitant blacks, by promoting vaccinations as aggressively as he and DeSantis have promoted monoclonal antibodies that are highly unlikely to work against omicron, based on laboratory data. But instead, he's lamenting about patient appointments with the Lilly and Regeneron treatments that have been canceled. Lilly and Regeneron agree with the FDA. Lapado's reply is basically these infusions are safe, so what if they're just like saline, hope is more important than science. 

Joe Mammy said:

It would be shocking if any other governor did that. Not shocking for that particular governor. Bad, really bad, but not shocking.

Republicans in Florida are inviting lawsuits with a proposed law that allows businesses to sue local governments for regulations that cause lost business. Such as when Key West residents voted to ban large cruise ships from docking due to environmental issues. Or potentially a new Miami-Dade County law, which imposed a fertilizer ban on lawns and plants during the rainy season to prevent algae blooms and fish kills, could have led to a lawsuit by businesses that saw big drops in fertilizer sales. Even the conservative Florida Tax Watch warned that this new proposed law could lead to dozens of unintended lawsuits. I think the practically imaginary defund the police laws have given impetus to such laws. I can't wait to see the outcome of Miami Beach trying to get a handle on a huge local problem with out of control airbnb rentals. Meanwhile, the population struggles with the affordable housing crisis. What happened to home rule?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article257791098.html

I can't help but wonder what the impact of all this hollow legislation Ron keeps throwing out there (this time with airlines and immigrants) is going to be should he run nationally.  Personally, this is why I wouldn't be all that bent out of shape if he became President and kept doing what he's doing which is simply creating headlines far more egregious than the actual legislation that gets passed....if it gets passed.  

Personally, this is why I wouldn't be all that bent out of shape if he became President and kept doing what he's doing which is simply creating headlines far more egregious than the actual legislation that gets passed....if it gets passed.  
Call me a pretzel.

Joe Mammy said:
Call me a pretzel.
Yeah I know...I guess my point is, this is more "social damage" to the country if he becomes President rather than legislative.  At this point, I consider that a win.

The question of why all these Republican politicians seem to have a problem forthrightly condemning neo-Nazis is starting to remind me of a famous Onion headline.

In all seriousness, I don't believe for a second DeSantis is an anti-Semite (I absolutely think Trump is one, but that's a question for another thread). And I think his press secretary is a professional troll who seems to have no appreciation of the fact that she's speaking on someone else's behalf. But I do think the common thread between this incident and Charlottesville is that both Trump and DeSantis regard the question as some sort of gotcha by the liberal media where their only option is to never apologize and pivot to attacking Democrats. But it's not a gotcha! It's really simple. Just condemn the neo-Nazis! If your spokeswoman says something stupid, just say that she shouldn't have said it. And then condemn the neo-Nazis again.

There are some things that are more important than owning the libs 

The question of why all these Republican politicians seem to have a problem forthrightly condemning neo-Nazis is starting to remind me of a famous Onion headline.

In all seriousness, I don't believe for a second DeSantis is an anti-Semite (I absolutely think Trump is one, but that's a question for another thread). And I think his press secretary is a professional troll who seems to have no appreciation of the fact that she's speaking on someone else's behalf. But I do think the common thread between this incident and Charlottesville is that both Trump and DeSantis regard the question as some sort of gotcha by the liberal media where their only option is to never apologize and pivot to attacking Democrats. But it's not a gotcha! It's really simple. Just condemn the neo-Nazis! If your spokeswoman says something stupid, just say that she shouldn't have said it. And then condemn the neo-Nazis again.

There are some things that are more important than owning the libs 
Well...he DID call him jackasses on TV yesterday, so there's that.  I appreciate most of the words he said in that press conference and his promise to have "the most tough legislation against antisemitism in the country".  I'll be looking out for it to be out shortly.  :thumbup:  

If I remember correctly he was in a new conference (or maybe SM...don't remember source) and uttered the words "Without a shred of clinical data to support its decision,....." after the drug makers THEMSELVES were out front saying their products didn't work.  Then he proceeded to demand 15K MORE doses for his sites that the drug makers THEMSELVES said wouldn't work.  I'm not sure what he thinks the words "Without a shred of clinical data to support its decision,...." mean but they definitely aren't what normal everyday people would guess.

If I remember correctly he was in a new conference (or maybe SM...don't remember source) and uttered the words "Without a shred of clinical data to support its decision,....." after the drug makers THEMSELVES were out front saying their products didn't work.  Then he proceeded to demand 15K MORE doses for his sites that the drug makers THEMSELVES said wouldn't work.  I'm not sure what he thinks the words "Without a shred of clinical data to support its decision,...." mean but they definitely aren't what normal everyday people would guess.
It's almost like he expects an adequate portion of people to automatically treat whatever he says as truth even if they know or suspect it is wrong.

Apologies if I missed it but what's going on with the legislative debate about ranked choice voting?
They are actually talking about this?  I hadn't heard anything about it.  There is ZERO way I see this happening....not in this state in it's current political climate, but it feels like a small win if they're actually talking about it.

Apologies if I missed it but what's going on with the legislative debate about ranked choice voting?
They are actually talking about this?  I hadn't heard anything about it.  There is ZERO way I see this happening....not in this state in it's current political climate, but it feels like a small win if they're actually talking about it.
Just a brief look...it appears citizens are trying to get this on the ballot to vote on as an amendment to the state constitution :thumbup:

Of course we know how that's gone with other amendments.  But at least it's a start.

Interesting piece on DeSantis trying to ride the MAGA tiger:

DeSantis Could Be Haunted by Florida’s ‘Generous’ Abortion Ban

The expectation that the U.S. Supreme Court will reverse Roe v. Wade and abandon any federal constitutional right to an abortion by June or July has unsurprisingly excited people in the anti-abortion movement, while alarming their pro-choice opponents. But as the days tick by before the announcement of a decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, potentially important divisions are becoming apparent in the ranks of those happy anti-abortion activists and their captive national political party, the Republicans.

[...]

This choice and its political fallout are being played out right now in Florida, where Governor Ron DeSantis and Republican legislators are pushing through a 15-week ban over the objections of activists on both sides of the abortion barricades. As the state senate advanced the ban in a committee on a party-line vote last week, there was a noticeable amount of angst exhibited by those favoring a stricter ban, as the Washington Post reported:

One prominent antiabortion lobbyist, Andrew Shirvell, executive director of Florida Voice for the Unborn, has publicly called on DeSantis to join fellow GOP Govs. Kristi L. Noem of South Dakota and Greg Abbott of Texas to back stricter bans. To date, the strongest abortion law signed by DeSantis, who is up for reelection this year and widely seen as a potential presidential candidate, is a 2020 measure requiring parental consent.\

“We’ve had pro-life majorities in our legislature for close to 30 years and a Republican governor for decades. There is really little excuse for this,” Shirvell said. “If you believe that abortion is murder, then you need to act like it.”

[...]

Florida Democrats are sure to make the new law, once it has been adopted and then activated by the Supreme Court, a major midterm-campaign issue. But DeSantis, who may have an interest in becoming president of the United States in 2024 or later, has a dual problem. He must defend what is likely to be an unpopular law during his own reelection campaign this year, while dealing with the perception of him as a RINO squish by the anti-abortion activists who are an immensely powerful force in the Republican presidential nominating process. If the Court’s ruling in Dobbs appears to be broad enough to make Texas-style bans constitutionally permissible, then DeSantis could always change his position and go for a more draconian law at the risk of making his own reelection a bit harder and possibly splitting his own party. The timing is tricky, but it’s the natural outcome of the devil’s bargain the GOP struck with the anti-abortion movement many years ago. It’s like a mortgage with a giant balloon payment coming due.

Color me skeptical:

Florida Democrats, tired of losing, reveal a voter registration plan to reverse the trend

After watching their once formidable advantage in registered voters evaporate and losing an embarrassing amount of ground in South Florida in the last presidential election, Florida Democrats say they’ve received the message and are going to change. Their solution is to kick off what they’re calling an unprecedented, well-funded effort to register voters.

Top Democratic elected officials and party leaders have announced the launch of a $2.5 million effort to register new voters by the fall deadline for the November 2022 elections.

The effort will deploy “hundreds” of canvassers in “key markets” beginning with “five targeted areas” in Florida. The Democrats on Monday declined to reveal much else from their playbook.

It sounded similar to previous announcements. But state Democratic Party Chairman Manny Diaz, Florida Senate Democratic Leader Lauren Book of Plantation, incoming House Democratic Leader Ramon Alexander of Tallahassee, and Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava appeared together in a video news conference to outline the effort they said would be bigger and better than any party voter registration drive since at least former President Barack Obama’s successful 2012 re-election campaign.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah....I'll believe it when I see it
You could replace "Florida Democrats" with "Jacksonville Jaguars" and "voter registration plan" with "Doug Pederson" and I would have precisely the same level of optimism. Maybe more, given that Pederson has actually won something in the past five years.

Should be a very interesting senate race between Demmings and Rubio.

I voted for Snitker in 2010 and Stanton in 2016. Really don't like Rubio I think he is a typical sleazy politician who has never done a hard day's work in his life.

My problem  is I think the libertarian party in Fla has really gone off the deep end. I don't think they will offer me an alternative this time around.

Demmings has raised a lot of cash should be real competitive. Name recognition may hurt her a little. Should be a fun one to watch.

I have to do a little research and see which 3rd party I waste my vote on this time around.

I voted for Snitker in 2010 and Stanton in 2016. Really don't like Rubio I think he is a typical sleazy politician who has never done a hard day's work in his life.

My problem  is I think the libertarian party in Fla has really gone off the deep end. I don't think they will offer me an alternative this time around.

Demmings has raised a lot of cash should be real competitive. Name recognition may hurt her a little. Should be a fun one to watch.

I have to do a little research and see which 3rd party I waste my vote on this time around.
I don't know a ton about Demings, but from what I have seen of her she is pretty impressive and probably the best Democratic statewide candidate this year (which, if you've read my other posts on the FL Democratic Party, isn't saying a whole lot). 

But I think that, absent some exogenous shock (like, say, Rubio getting bogged down in a major scandal) she's going to have a very hard time beating him. Consider:

• 2022 is shaping up to be a pro-GOP year
  • Florida, while still fairly evenly divided, has been trending steadily redder over the past few cycles
  • The other major statewide race looks like it will be a landslide for DeSantis
  • Whatever his faults, Rubio has shown he is pretty good at appealing to Florida's electorate, especially when he can set the narrative and run as a sunny, telegenic, conservative-but-not-too-conservative. (The only time he's stumbled was in the 2016 presidential primary, when he had to try to pretend he was an angry, red-meat conservative, and he came across as a complete phony)
  • Demings seems like an attractive candidate on paper, but so far the only elections she has won have been to a D+12 Congressional district
Point being, in order to knock off an incumbent you need a lot of things to break in your favor, and so far at least, most of them are breaking against Demings. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

I don't know a ton about Demings, but from what I have seen of her she is pretty impressive and probably the best Democratic statewide candidate this year (which, if you've read my other posts on the FL Democratic Party, isn't saying a whole lot). 

But I think that, absent some exogenous shock (like, say, Rubio getting bogged down in a major scandal) she's going to have a very hard time beating him. Consider:

• Florida, while still fairly evenly divided, has been trending steadily redder over the past few cycles
  • Whatever his faults, Rubio has shown he is pretty good at appealing to Florida's electorate, especially when he can set the narrative and run as a sunny, telegenic, conservative-but-not-too-conservative. (The only time he's stumbled was in the 2016 presidential primary, when he had to try to pretend he was an angry, red-meat conservative, and he came across as a complete phony)
  • Demings seems like an attractive candidate on paper, but so far the only elections she has won have been to a D+12 Congressional district
Point being, in order to knock off an incumbent you need a lot of things to break in your favor, and so far at least, most of them are breaking against Demings. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am.
It’s uphill no doubt.  agree she’s probably the best candidate D can put forward.  I put some faith in rubio’s ability to be a spineless stuffed shirt.  fingers crossed.

I

I think she would have been a lot better off if she had emphasized her police career and voiced her support of law enforcement.  Especially when her colleagues were screaming defund the police. Instead she waited until now to push for more funding. Why did she wait was it because she was pandering to the far left then. That is not a good look. I also think she should have kept a low profile during the sham of impeachment hearings. I think both those things will hurt her with some voters. If there was a Democrat I could cast my vote for other than Stephanie Murphy it would be her. I've always said we need more regular Joe's to get into politics. She does fit that criteria. 

Looks like my guy is going to be Dennis Misigoy. He is from your neck of the woods know anything about him? He had what I guess was like a city commissioners seat at Enclave at Black point marina.

I wish Jerry Demings would run.  Dude seems like he has it together and is pretty reasonable.  I've admired his handling of the pandemic and his even keeled tone he's been able to maintain through all the chaos.  I don't know if he has aspirations for higher office though.  

He and his wife ran excellent law enforcement agencies.  There were no controversial issues with either the OCSD or the OPD while being run by them. He has also been a very good leader as Orange County Mayor. I think he may throw his hat in for Governor race sometime in the future.

Why not make a vote that can knock "Lil' Marco" out?

He and his wife ran excellent law enforcement agencies.  There were no controversial issues with either the OCSD or the OPD while being run by them. He has also been a very good leader as Orange County Mayor. I think he may throw his hat in for Governor race sometime in the future.
I've always wondered how family members who are politicians handle situations where they're both potential candidates. Bill and Hillary reportedly had some sort of deal where, as soon as his career was over, she got to run. I've heard rumors that, if Jeb had won his first race for FL governor in '94, he, rather than George W, would have run for president in 2000.

With the Demingses, it seems that her increased profile after the impeachment trial and then making Biden's shortlist meant that it was her turn. If she loses this year, as I expect her to, I could see him being well-positioned to run for the open governor's seat in 2026.

The Commish said:
Kinda surprised the state SC rejected Ron's request on the redistricting exercise.  :mellow:  
I've been trying to figure this out. There seems to be a substantial number of FL Republicans who want a less aggressive gerrymander, and then a few (like DeSantis) who want to go for it.

The most charitable explanation for the former group is that they're interested in a fair gerrymander, regardless of who it helps or hurts ... OK, that's probably not it.

The neutral explanation is that last cycle, the GOP maps got tied up in court for years and ultimately they were forced to scale them back. They figure there's no point in going through that again. 

The most cynical explanation is that they've calculated the best thing they can do isn't to try to expand their majority, it's to consolidate it. So rather than try to flip Democratic seats, they're going to shore up the Republican ones; in particular, the two S. Fla seats that flipped to the GOP in 2020. Both freshmen incumbents (Salazar and Gimenez) face potentially tough re-election fights (the Gimenez seat in particular has spent the past decade flipping back and forth like a pancake) so the GOP wants to make sure they're protected. Of course, as of now, neither even has a credible Dem challenger, but not sure if that's a function of the expected gerrymander.

My guess is that it's some combination of #2 and #3.

Weird story.

‘Highly suspect’: Unusual clusters of Miami voters switched to Republican, data show

More than 100 people who live in the twin Haley Sofge Towers — a public housing complex near the Miami River with about 475 units — changed their political party affiliations during a recent four-month period, adding to questions about whether some residents’ party affiliation was changed without their consent.

Every single one of those voters, 103 of them, switched to the Republican Party, according to a Miami Herald analysis of Miami-Dade voter registration data.

The Haley Sofge Towers has become the focus of county investigators and media in recent weeks, as longtime voters say their political affiliation was changed without their consent after interacting with canvassers. The story of a Little Havana voter whose story drew attention to the claims, 84-year-old Maria Jaramillo, was first reported by WPLG Local 10 News last December. Since then, several other voters have spoken publicly about receiving new voter ID cards in the mail with a different party affiliation.

According to the Herald’s tally, 5,428 people’s party affiliation changed between the October and January registration files. Many of the changes were concentrated in multi-family residential buildings, often low-income housing, raising questions about whether the changes are part of a targeted effort.
Here's how the article explains the effects of these party switches:

Taddeo has said the claims are just a piece of a larger puzzle, saying there’s “clearly a statewide effort that has affected the narrative in the media” about Florida Republicans’ voter registration advantage over Democrats. She has also alleged there are more sinister intentions at play, pointing to Democratic campaign donors who’ve refused to invest in key races across the state.

“They [Republicans] wanted this so that those donors and those investors in Democratic campaigns walk away from Florida, which is exactly what they did,” said Taddeo.

[...]

Taddeo alleged Friday that these changes in party affiliation would hurt primary candidates like herself, whose supporters wouldn’t be able to vote for her. (Florida has a closed primary system, which means that only voters affiliated with a party would be able to vote in that party’s primary.)
That's quite the bank shot. If the FL GOP is switching voters' registration without their consent, that's obviously wrong and whoever is involved in it should be punished. (I would also add that the state party hasn't exactly earned the benefit of the doubt given some of its recent shenanigans.) But I'm having a hard time imagining why anyone would go to such lengths for such an indirect benefit. If I had to guess, I'd say that some local volunteers* were incentivized to boost their registration numbers -- maybe even promised extra for party switchers -- and they got a little overzealous. Reminds me a little of the ACORN "scandal" more than a decade ago, where volunteers were committing fraud against ACORN by submitting registrations for fake names like "Mickey Mouse". 

* ETA: Do you still count as a "volunteer" if you're paid? If not, feel free to sub whatever word best describes a paid volunteer. Then again, this is all speculation anyway. For all I know the promise of a box of donuts was enough of an incentive for them to commit registration fraud.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I'm not all that concerned about DeSantis as President.  He's a jellyfish.  Either the "legislation" is created for headline purposes and you get into it and see there are no real teeth or it's created with legit teeth and when rubber meets the road, he backs off.  It's comical at this point.  

This is why I'm not all that concerned about DeSantis as President.  He's a jellyfish.  Either the "legislation" is created for headline purposes and you get into it and see there are no real teeth or it's created with legit teeth and when rubber meets the road, he backs off.  It's comical at this point.  
that would concern me

I take your point, but I'm not sure how much that says about how he would operate as president. History tells us that any Republican who gets elected will mostly focus on cutting taxes for rich folks and installing right-wing judges. Beyond that, they don't typically have much that they actually want to accomplish. So yeah, I suppose he wouldn't do much else, but that's more a function of today's GOP than it is any gelatinous qualities he may possess.

that would concern me
As it pertains to foreign policy it concerns me.  Not so much with respect to legislation stateside.  If we're being honest, NONE of this is a concern unless the GOP holds the presidency and both chambers of Congress.  That's the sad state of affairs we're living in.  

Crazy that a misplaced hyphen could lead someone getting a ticket in Miami to a website selling Trump merchandise. Was it an intentional typo, were any law enforcement officials involved?

>>In Miami Beach, getting pulled over by city police didn’t just mean a ticket for some drivers.  Officers also handed them an invitation to check out a website selling Trump 2024 merchandise.<<

>>A city police flier in circulation until last week explaining how to resolve minor traffic tickets online dropped a crucial hyphen for a Miami-Dade County courts website, steering drivers away from a bland judicial portal and to an online store selling flags, videos and caps celebrating former President Donald Trump and his potential third run for the White House. Offerings at miamidadeclerk.com include Trump 2024 camouflage caps, a DVD exploring the possibility of a “one-world centralized government” without Trump in the White House, and two Trump-themed flags featuring the obscenity “F***” (one paired with “Biden”, the other with “Your Feelings.”)<<

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1493652237343670272?t=rzHkOXeLxgHARo-tSqFl8A&s=19

How Miami Beach traffic stops led drivers to online pitches for Trump 2024 merchandise

Tim Miller, a Never Trump Republican who writes for the Bulwark, takes a look at the Don't Say Gay bill and pushes back against the "all for show" narrative we've been discussing in this thread:

Critics have termed the proposal “Don’t Say Gay” legislation and I have to be honest, when this first hit my radar I thought it was too ridiculous to be something that could actually become law.

Maybe this was one of those cases where a freakazoid state legislator proposes some hopeless nonsense for media attention? Or activists overstate the particulars of what’s being proposed for attention? Or maybe it’s one of those scenarios where a president attempts a multifaceted putsch to stay in power and New York Times columnists tell us we shouldn’t take it that seriously because he’s just a big joke and nothing will come of it?

But as it happened: No.

I talked with some people involved in Florida state politics and Don’t Say Gay is not at all DOA.

It has passed the education committees in both Florida’s House and Senate. It has the support of the governor. It is on track to be debated in both chambers in the coming weeks. And while controversial bills that arise early in the session sometimes die on the vine, as things stand today there remains a political path in Florida to codify this effort to silence any gay talk in the state’s schools.
Even worse, he says, because the bill cribs its enforcement mechanism from the Texas abortion law, it gives a huge incentive to schools to be overly cautious regarding anything that can get them sued:

The answer to these hypotheticals all hinge on whether a crazy-### parent of another student sees the valentine or family tree or Pulse book and decides to target the school. In each case, the Don’t Say Gay bill would give our Panhandle Karen something to sue over.

Representative Carlos Smith, the first openly gay member of the state’s legislature, argues that the open-ended nature of the language is a feature, not a bug for those pushing the bill.

“Lawyers are going to be conservative in a way that censors conversations,” he told me. In at least some school districts that is going to “push LGBTQ families back in the closet.” His view is that by keeping the language vague, a better-safe-than-sorry ethos will encourage certain districts to shut down all of these types of conversations.

This is especially a concern in the most sensitive scenario: safety precautions when a student is struggling with questions about their own sexuality or identity. Conversations with mentors at school can be an important outlet for this type of at-risk student. But a Don’t Say Gay bill would make administrators especially reluctant to have staff engage for fear of legal reprisals.

In short they “want kids to be fearful,” Smith said.

Going out on a limb and guessing the people buying the "don't say gay" nonsense are the same ones who swallowed the "white people can't feel discomfort" idiocy hook, line , and sinker.

Users who are viewing this thread