What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (3 Viewers)

Big League Chew

Footballguy
no bueno

Spreadsheet created by Ned Corona - Non China tracker @Ned

@beer 302 Live COVID google map via Reddit

Data from Italy:

99% of deaths are those who had underlying conditions, namely high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease.

Avg age of death is 79.5

LINK

Update: The World Health Organization has declared the Coronavirus a Global Health Emergency.

Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Situation Dashboard

The CDC's Dedicated Coronavirus Resource,

The WHO's Dedicated Coronavirus Resource,

You can also check out this live tracker/map of the spread of the coronavirus provided by John Hopkins University.

And the University of Chicago School of Medicine's handy FAQ style resource.

What is a coronavirus? What is a novel coronavirus?

A coronavirus is actually the name for a set of illnesses, including the common cold and other respiratory infections. A novel coronavirus means it’s a new virus that originated in animals, but has jumped to humans. This particular virus from Wuhan is being called the 2019 novel coronavirus or 2019-nCoV.

How does the Wuhan coronavirus spread?

So far, there’s limited information about the Wuhan novel coronavirus, including how easy it is to spread and how dangerous it is. But we know the virus can be transmitted from person to person and it is passed by coughing and other close contact.

Close contact is a vague term that means a lot of things to different people. But in this case, it specifically means being within about six feet of someone for a prolonged period of time without wearing recommended personal protective equipment such as a disposable face mask. It could also be having direct contact with infectious secretions of someone who has a case of the virus (for example: being coughed on) while not wearing personal protective equipment.

That can sound scary, but it’s important to know that influenza is also transmitted the same way.

Is this coronavirus deadly?

The numbers of how many people have been diagnosed or how many have died are changing rapidly. Without accurate numerators and denominators, the jury’s still out. That said, we do know that more than 100 people in China have died from this virus. Based on the information I’m seeing, it looks very similar to SARS in a number of ways — except for the fact that it’s likely less deadly, but more transmittable.

What are the symptoms of the virus?

We’re still learning more about Wuhan novel coronavirus, but we know it typically causes flu-like symptoms including a fever, cough and congestion. Some patients — particularly the elderly and others with other chronic health conditions — develop a severe form of pneumonia.

How do you treat patients with this virus? Can you vaccinate against it?

Things like antibiotics are designed to kill bacteria, not a virus. So typically doctors can treat the symptoms, but not the virus itself. There’s no vaccine yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent 7 days in Wuhan in Sept...luckily I had my kids with me so we mostly at Pizza Hut and Noodles.  

Ut oh.  I'm sick right now.  Like I'm blowing some real nasty yellowish-brown junk out of my nose every hour or so.   :oldunsure:
i hear the yellowish-brown stuff is good for the face. try to seperate the brown and use just that the yellow dries up too quickly

goodluck and report back GB

800+ cases worldwide  25 dead.

“Make no mistake, this is an emergency in China. But it has not yet become a global health emergency. It may yet become one,” Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters on a conference call following a second emergency meeting on the disease on Thursday."

Texas investigating 3rd possible patient.

Wuhan market at center of outbreak

The Chinese market at the center of the deadly coronavirus outbreak sold live animals — including wolf pups, foxes, rats and peacocks — to eat, according to a new report.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coronaviruses Symptoms

• runny nose.
  • headache.
  • cough.
  • sore throat.
  • fever.
  • a general feeling of being unwell.

That's literally everyone in my office 

Whatever China reports, you should actually multiply that by four to get a number that’s actually closer to the truth
This.  This is a far bigger epidemic that the Chinese government is painting it to be.  The Chinese finally just admitted that 15 medical workers contracted the disease while caring for patients.  They should have disclosed this the moment it happened as opposed to waiting a week (or possibly weeks).   The fact that they are restricting mass transit, banks are implementing restrictions, Disney Shanghai is closing right around lunar New Year is a clear indication of how serious this is.  I’m not saying that this is going to be some sort of global pandemic that should be treated like the apocalypse—but I do think that it is a far bigger problem than its being made out to be. 

Coronaviruses Symptoms

• runny nose.
  • headache.
  • cough.
  • sore throat.
  • fever.
  • a general feeling of being unwell.

That's literally everyone in my office 
This is at least better than West Nile Virus.  They would be like, "You can have this and actually not have any symptoms."

Well, then it's not a disease.  

Normally I joke about most mass hysteria stuff, but illnesses scare the crap out of me. My wife is a teacher (so around lots of people) and had white blood/auto-immune issues, and my daughter has a weakened immune system b/c of medication for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Being sick around here is nothing to sneeze at.  (yea, I did that) 

This isn't getting nearly enough press in the US.  I think the reason is that people here tend to believe official government numbers and the numbers coming from China are not scary.

But China has literally QUARANTINED like 5-10 of their major cities.  They've shut down all movie theaters.  If you go by their actions and not their words, this is a massive disaster unfolding. 

Perhaps I've seen too many movies and read too many books but this one scares the crap out of me. 

Normally I joke about most mass hysteria stuff, but illnesses scare the crap out of me. My wife is a teacher (so around lots of people) and had white blood/auto-immune issues, and my daughter has a weakened immune system b/c of medication for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Being sick around here is nothing to sneeze at.  (yea, I did that) 
Just received a notification that someone "who passed through" Nassau County is being tested for the virus.

Users who are viewing this thread