What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

NYC changed guidance to recommend wearing 2 masks (a cloth one over a disposable one). Ridiculous
They just added a paragraph to the guidance, they aren't requiring it. Here's the paragraph they added:

How do I wear two face coverings? Wearing two face coverings can provide you and others with added protection by increasing the number of layers of material and making for a snugger fit. When wearing two face coverings, consider the following: • Use one cloth face covering and one disposable mask. The disposable mask should be worn underneath and the cloth face covering on top. • Do not use two disposable masks. • Do not use a face covering over or under a KN95 mask. A KN95 should be worn alone.

My in-laws have a 50 year anniversary and it was previously decided we'd celebrate in the early summer. Well, my wife got a call yesterday and plans changed, they are now planning a 14-20 person (that we know of) celebration at a restaurant Sunday - against state restrictions. Not that restaurants in their county care about such things re: the overblown pandemic, GB rural counties. Major guilt trip laid how my wife is the only child not coming, that it's harmful to social development of our own children to keep them isolated from cousins, etc. Wife has been crying off and on for 2 days. It bothers me a lot, since my folks have passed and have really considered these otherwise awesome in-laws my own family. I can't help picturing us being a significant talking point during the gathering, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to move past my own resentment for being put in this position. Not sure why I'm posting; I just don't have a lot of other conduits for this grief since I'm doing my best to downplay it talking with the wife for obvious reasons. 

In MN, you can register for the vaccine. It wont do anything for you other than you'll get notified when your turn is up. I cant for the life of me figure out why sexual orientation is one of the required fields? 

Less encouraging news for zinc and vitamin C as Covid treatment: :sadbanana:

Effect of High-Dose Zinc and Ascorbic Acid Supplementation vs Usual Care on Symptom Length and Reduction Among Ambulatory Patients With SARS-CoV-2 Infection

Key Points

Question  Do high-dose zinc, high-dose ascorbic acid, and/or a combination of the 2 reduce the duration of symptoms of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)?

Findings  In this randomized clinical trial of 214 patients with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection receiving outpatient care, there was no significant difference in the duration of symptoms among the 4 groups.

Meaning  These findings suggest that treatment with zinc, ascorbic acid, or both does not affect SARS-CoV-2 symptoms.

Last edited by a moderator:
These ?

From what I have heard from a few that have them...quite comfortable.  How effective they are...I don't know.  I have read a few reviews that are pretty positive.
Went into the office this week for a demonstration and noticed all the VP's had these sheer masks on where you could see their mouth/nose. Probably these things, I scratched my head some but whatevs, I stayed upwind.

Not sure if this is the right thread or not. Wife and I have been super careful. Always masks around anyone etc. Don't do much outside of shopping. Wife had a headache and didn't feel right - got a rapid test and it came back positive. PCR test is this afternoon. Have you folks heard of many false positives from the rapid tests (15 to know)? I'm getting a regular PCR test as well. She is 40's and otherwise healthy so praying she'll be fine even if she's positive.

Not sure if this is the right thread or not. Wife and I have been super careful. Always masks around anyone etc. Don't do much outside of shopping. Wife had a headache and didn't feel right - got a rapid test and it came back positive. PCR test is this afternoon. Have you folks heard of many false positives from the rapid tests (15 to know)? I'm getting a regular PCR test as well. She is 40's and otherwise healthy so praying she'll be fine even if she's positive.
Do you know what manufacturer for the rapid test?

Read a snippet this AM that said 10% of the U.S. population has now been vaccinated. 👍 
It's 15% in my county.  Throw in ~25% who've been infected and a vaccination rate of about 3% every 4 days (currently, could increase soon) and we'd be at herd immunity in the next 60 days or so.

Cases aren't just declining in the US (and most other places), they are cratering right now.

So far the variants seem to be able to evade fast-responding antibodies, but not later-arriving T-cells (which means you might still get sick if you've had COVID already had it or have been vaccinated, but are very unlikely to die).

The US is about to be awash in vaccines generally, with 10s of millions arriving each month for the forseeable future.

In many parts of the country the weather is likely to start lending a hand in the next few weeks.

Light at the end of the tunnel, people!  Even if what's on the other side may not be exactly like the place we left 12 months ago.

It's 15% in my county.  Throw in ~25% who've been infected and a vaccination rate of about 3% every 4 days (currently, could increase soon) and we'd be at herd immunity in the next 60 days or so.

Cases aren't just declining in the US (and most other places), they are cratering right now.

So far the variants seem to be able to evade fast-responding antibodies, but not later-arriving T-cells (which means you might still get sick if you've had COVID already had it or have been vaccinated, but are very unlikely to die).

The US is about to be awash in vaccines generally, with 10s of millions arriving each month for the forseeable future.

In many parts of the country the weather is likely to start lending a hand in the next few weeks.

Light at the end of the tunnel, people!  Even if what's on the other side may not be exactly like the place we left 12 months ago.
All this indeed, but still a reminder:

-- We still had almost 3,000 deaths yesterday in the US.  We are already at almost 2,000 for today.  Still over 70K cases yesterday and 50K so far today.

-- Death toll in the US alone is over 1/2 million. 

-- Our current case counts are still at the same level that our peak was prior to this last surge that started in November

The trend is great and it should hopefully keep in the right direction.  But, there's still a lot of Covid out there with a lot of sick people.  Don't get complacent just yet.

All this indeed, but still a reminder:

-- We still had almost 3,000 deaths yesterday in the US.  We are already at almost 2,000 for today.  Still over 70K cases yesterday and 50K so far today.

-- Death toll in the US alone is over 1/2 million. 

-- Our current case counts are still at the same level that our peak was prior to this last surge that started in November

The trend is great and it should hopefully keep in the right direction.  But, there's still a lot of Covid out there with a lot of sick people.  Don't get complacent just yet.
Yep, I share his optimism, but also your caution. 

There are still a whole lot of vulnerable vectors out there. 

Part of the catering of cases could be due to the storms the past week. Keep that in mind
Straight line down in most US states, the US as a whole, Canada, England, Sweden, South Africa (and probably a bunch of other places I didn't bother to check).

All starting within a day or two of January 12th.

Light at the end of the tunnel doesn't mean take your eyes off the prize. Stay vigilant people. Time to double down on your precautions. You don't want this crap if you can avoid it. Thoughts and prayers for all who've had it that you're lucky enough to avoid all the long term chronic nastiness.

Almost a third of people with 'mild' Covid-19 still battle symptoms months later, study finds

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/19/health/post-covid-syndrome-long-haulers-gupta-wellness/index.html?utm_source=fbCNN&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2021-02-20T01%3A02%3A00&utm_term=link

The UK strain already came through IMO, we've only begun to catch up on the genome testing the rest of the first world has been doing for months.

Why haven't we had any US variants? Because we haven't been looking for them.
Thought I saw the other day there are at least 7 US variants. They are being named after birds now.

BigJim® said:
My in-laws have a 50 year anniversary and it was previously decided we'd celebrate in the early summer. Well, my wife got a call yesterday and plans changed, they are now planning a 14-20 person (that we know of) celebration at a restaurant Sunday - against state restrictions. Not that restaurants in their county care about such things re: the overblown pandemic, GB rural counties. Major guilt trip laid how my wife is the only child not coming, that it's harmful to social development of our own children to keep them isolated from cousins, etc. Wife has been crying off and on for 2 days. It bothers me a lot, since my folks have passed and have really considered these otherwise awesome in-laws my own family. I can't help picturing us being a significant talking point during the gathering, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to move past my own resentment for being put in this position. Not sure why I'm posting; I just don't have a lot of other conduits for this grief since I'm doing my best to downplay it talking with the wife for obvious reasons. 
Ridiculous selfishness. These type of people infuriate me. Completely unnecessary and cruel. Sorry you have to deal with this. 😐

Ridiculous selfishness. These type of people infuriate me. Completely unnecessary and cruel. Sorry you have to deal with this. 😐
I've seen a sister go from literally mocking anything covid and the precautions therein.  To watching it bring her totally fit, stud husband to his knees, praying to god.  Only a week before he contracted it she was trying to convince our 90 year old high-risk (BP) Mom to come have dinner in her enclosed smaller boat, maskless of course.  And also many times at her house.  Kind of in a defiant way, to prove all this was nothing.

But guess who changed her tune -- once her husband, who said it was the sickest he's ever been -- from hoaxer, to finding a way to finagle a vax for herself, even though she's under 65.  Hypocrite.  And so ignorant, for almost a year she could have passed that #### on to her own Mother on NUMEROUS occasions.  Thankfully my Mom was smarter than her and steered clear.

The divide this has caused will be lifelong.  True colors have shown bright.  I have similar sentiments with some long-time friends.  Sad at first, but now I see it all as beneficial, really.  The energy, time and effort to keep relationships like those in tact is a total waste.  Time's much better spent on the selfless, not the selfish.  Things are much more discernible now after all that transpired.  Some good things have come from all this.

I’m sure that’s true, but conversely, those people aren’t out spreading it right now either. 
Yea probably a combination of a few things. We are passed the holiday spikes; vaccines rolling better; snowy weather has people staying home more; less testing due to weather (closures or people not heading out for tests). 

But the weather and testing doesn’t play into the hospitalizations and deaths going down really. 

Yea probably a combination of a few things. We are passed the holiday spikes; vaccines rolling better; snowy weather has people staying home more; less testing due to weather (closures or people not heading out for tests). 

But the weather and testing doesn’t play into the hospitalizations and deaths going down really. 
Right. Hospitalization to me is the real indicator and that is heading rapidly down.

I am not as full-blown confident as culdeus that we are in the clear but things are looking good.  I am planning a few trips for the second half of the year. 

Right. Hospitalization to me is the real indicator and that is heading rapidly down.

I am not as full-blown confident as culdeus that we are in the clear but things are looking good.  I am planning a few trips for the second half of the year. 
Yea, I am not sure what to think. I have a bad feeling that the vaccine penetration is going to plateau in May and then we have a false sense of security in the summer and the fall goes in the pooper again because 60% of the population didn’t bother to get the shots. 

I have been out of the office since March 12 and haven’t traveled at all. I take the train to work. Just not sure when normal will be even on the horizon and if new normal is wearing a mask on transportation all year forever or next few years. 

I do see some light now though and will make some appointments I have put off once I get the second shot. Maybe even socialize with other vaccinated people?

Yea, I am not sure what to think. I have a bad feeling that the vaccine penetration is going to plateau in May and then we have a false sense of security in the summer and the fall goes in the pooper again because 60% of the population didn’t bother to get the shots. 

I have been out of the office since March 12 and haven’t traveled at all. I take the train to work. Just not sure when normal will be even on the horizon and if new normal is wearing a mask on transportation all year forever or next few years. 

I do see some light now though and will make some appointments I have put off once I get the second shot. Maybe even socialize with other vaccinated people?
Honestly, you don't get the shot IDGAF.  It's like not wearing seatbelts. (yes, I realize for one reason or another some people can't get shots for good reasons)

Honestly, you don't get the shot IDGAF.  It's like not wearing seatbelts. (yes, I realize for one reason or another some people can't get shots for good reasons)
Yea but those without shots who are infected have a larger viral load to spread the disease to you, and you could bring it home and spread it to your unvaccinated children or spread it to others etc. And then we get mutations and we are still stuck in this. 

Users who are viewing this thread