Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, DallasDMac said:

 I want to add, we are both pushing 60, se we'd expect slightly less side effects than the younger folks.

Is there something really to this that younger folks are having more intense side effects?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Penguin said:

Is there something really to this that younger folks are having more intense side effects?

Yes. Basically, your immune system reacts to the vaccine. Younger people have stronger immune systems than us older folks, hence a more "violent" reaction. It's actually good in that it means the vaccine is working.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DallasDMac said:

Mine and my wife's were Pfizer. I posted hers, I'll post mine tomorrow, or later if I end up feeling really crappy.

Thanks, I'm scheduled for dose 2 on Tuesday

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went and saw live music for the first time in a year last night.
 

Tables were distanced, still used mask when up from table and going to bathroom (many did not).... But I got to feel comfortable going to see live music thanks to this vaccine. :wub: 

'

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Penguin said:

Thanks, I'm scheduled for dose 2 on Tuesday

Woke up with no side effects other than the sore arm. Keep in mind a) I'm older, pushing 60 and b) I had 39 days between doses. So both of those could explain a lack of side effects compared to others. I did keep very busy after my shot. I think that does help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2021 at 12:03 PM, Shatner! said:

Little tidbit I heard the other day somewhere, all of the Covid virus in the entire world that has infected people could fit into one can of soda, with room to spare.

I'd probably choose the can of coronavirus before opening a can of Tab.  

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Penguin said:

Has anyone gotten the 2nd dose of Pfizer yet? I'm curious as to how the felt afterwards.

My brother is FDNY and they got the Moderna vax, he said he didn't fell too bad after the 2nd dose but some of the other firemen were down for a few days.

Was supposed to have mine Thursday, but waiting on a re-schedule. A good many of my co-workers have gotten it (almost all were Pfizer, a few were Moderna) and I'd say it's about 50/50 on reactions. About half ran fever and had fatigue/headache/nausea type symptoms and the others had just some mild fatigue only. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I'd probably choose the can of coronavirus before opening a can of Tab.  

Although ... regular consumption of Tab is probably a great COVID preventative. The virions get a taste of that Tab-tainted bloodstream and say "Nope".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jobarules said:

If you go on NY state vaccine website, its says no vaccines available at any of their vaccine sites until April 16th. They even blame the shortage on supply issues right there on the website.

Is this a new issue or more recent?  could it be weather related.  I know there were stories on the local news about some areas down here that would be affected due to the weather (with FedEx being affected big time in Memphis and things needing to be rerouted)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Is this a new issue or more recent?  could it be weather related.  I know there were stories on the local news about some areas down here that would be affected due to the weather (with FedEx being affected big time in Memphis and things needing to be rerouted)

Im sure some is weather related but that would just delay appointments a few days.

Quote

 

*ALERT: The Federal Government determines how much vaccine New York State receives. The Federal Government has only given New York approximately 300,000 vaccines/week for over 7 million people who are eligible – as a result supply is very limited*

Vaccines are available at pharmacies, hospitals and through local health departments statewide – please contact your provider of choice to schedule your vaccine appointment.
Additionally, there is a network of State-run sites distributing vaccine statewide – to determine eligibility and to schedule a first-dose appointment through April 16 at New York State-run vaccination sites only, use the Am I Eligible app.
AN APPOINTMENT IS REQUIRED. IF YOU VISIT A LOCATION WITHOUT AN APPOINTMENT YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A VACCINE.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Penguin said:

Has anyone gotten the 2nd dose of Pfizer yet? I'm curious as to how the felt afterwards.

My brother is FDNY and they got the Moderna vax, he said he didn't fell too bad after the 2nd dose but some of the other firemen were down for a few days.

Wife and I both had it. I had a little bit.of a sore arm and a little run down maybe. Next day.my sinuses acted up for a couple days. Not sure if related. My wife had a little more of a reaction. Low grade fever, sore arm, felt a little crummy overall for a couple of days. Also had some swelling and soreness of gland in the side armpit area. I guess this is somewhat common in women.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Z Machine said:

So NY State will take until mid-April to vaccinate all of their Group 1 people that want a vax?   Ugh.  Time to saddle up and go to West Virginia for a jab.

Or hey, maybe time to stop sending so much of the vaccine to West Virginia and spread it around a little.   It seems weird how inconsistent the volume of vaccine allocation has been at the state level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Or hey, maybe time to stop sending so much of the vaccine to West Virginia and spread it around a little.   It seems weird how inconsistent the volume of vaccine allocation has been at the state level.

It's pretty frustrating to say the least.  My MIL in Louisiana walked into a Wal-Mart and got hers, but my 83-year-old dad and 74-year-old mom in California have been on some stupid waiting list for over a month and ended up getting COVID. :(

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was scheduled for tomorrow but got a text from Rite Aid changing it to Saturday.   Then got a call tonight from the actual pharmacist saying it was back on at the original time.  Same thing happened with our caregiver.

I asked what vax and finally found out it's Moderna (Rite Aid).

Just heard from a friend that got one today at a drive-up this morning, no problem.  It was Pfizer.  Same guy was turned away from a different drive up just days before.

So in a 3 days I've gone from thinking I was months away to more or less having a choice between the two.

 

I know it's Coke or Pepsi but having read only parts of this thread, is there a prevailing MODERNA or PFIZER preference here?  Just curious, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

Was scheduled for tomorrow but got a text from Rite Aid changing it to Saturday.   Then got a call tonight from the actual pharmacist saying it was back on at the original time.  Same thing happened with our caregiver.

I asked what vax and finally found out it's Moderna (Rite Aid).

Just heard from a friend that got one today at a drive-up this morning, no problem.  It was Pfizer.  Same guy was turned away from a different drive up just days before.

So in a 3 days I've gone from thinking I was months away to more or less having a choice between the two.

 

I know it's Coke or Pepsi but having read only parts of this thread, is there a prevailing MODERNA or PFIZER preference here?  Just curious, thanks.

I think they are both miracles, but if given the choice I would take the Pfizer, just because it is three weeks between shots instead of four for Moderna.  That's one week sooner to full effect! You can't make a bad choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm volunteering for the FEMA site Fri/Sat.  I do this with a small chance I get the leftovers, if in fact there are any.  If there is a FEMA site in your area find out if they offer the same thing.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2021 at 8:39 AM, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Was supposed to have mine Thursday, but waiting on a re-schedule. A good many of my co-workers have gotten it (almost all were Pfizer, a few were Moderna) and I'd say it's about 50/50 on reactions. About half ran fever and had fatigue/headache/nausea type symptoms and the others had just some mild fatigue only. 

Walked in to re-schedule yesterday and ended up getting dose #2 on site around 5PM. As of this post, no effects whatsoever, other than sore injection site. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Walked in to re-schedule yesterday and ended up getting dose #2 on site around 5PM. As of this post, no effects whatsoever, other than sore injection site. 

There's kind of a thought out there that something like 8 out of 10 people will have a severe reaction to their second does (whether Moderna or Pfizer). "Severe" here being defined as "something beyond soreness at the injection site; something you'll feel the next day or two and will keep you sick from work or other activities".

By that definition, what's our spitball figure for what percentage experiences a severe second-shot reaction? One in ten? One in four? Something else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Doug B said:

There's kind of a thought out there that something like 8 out of 10 people will have a severe reaction to their second does (whether Moderna or Pfizer). "Severe" here being defined as "something beyond soreness at the injection site; something you'll feel the next day or two and will keep you sick from work or other activities".

By that definition, what's our spitball figure for what percentage experiences a severe second-shot reaction? One in ten? One in four? Something else?

I honestly didn't know what to expect after polling those I know over the last 4-6 weeks. It's all over the place, and as I stated above it's about 50/50 on some effects (flu like symptoms, low fever, fatigue, etc.) vs. no effects (other than arm soreness, 100% have had that). I very rarely get sick (*knocks on wood*) and have never had the flu or a flu vaccine, so was very curious to see how this affected me. So far, so good. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, worrierking said:

I think they are both miracles, but if given the choice I would take the Pfizer, just because it is three weeks between shots instead of four for Moderna.  That's one week sooner to full effect! You can't make a bad choice.

Thanks for the reply.  I ended up digging around for the minor differences.  I noted yours but since we've come this far, decided an extra week (for the booster) is nothing at this point.  I actually prefer Moderna slightly, due to better results vs the UK variant, although it obviously doesn't matter.

The other difference in the two which gave me a slight Moderna lean was the storage.  The Pfizer vax and its necessity for more stringent measures with the very low temps, along with the smaller window for administration, simply made me feel there's more, but very slight, chance for human error with all the logistics involved.  I mean, who's on the stopwatch during each next step before it hits your arm?  I did see that some of those restrictions for storage have been loosened, but it's just not as easy as Moderna's.  Again, super duper slim chance of anything mattering so whatever.

Pfizer does have a slightly higher efficacy rate, and I think that's why some tend to prefer that one (and the name?).  However it's less than one percentage point and we are talking mid 90's already, so that's a total wash for me.

To reiterate, all VERY minor, silly stuff, I couldn't be happier, just curious.  It was kind of fun/interesting to learn more about it is all.

Edited by Rodrigo Duterte
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All things being equal I'd rather take the moderna also both for the storage constraints and the titrated dosage in the second shot.  To be honest I'm not sure if Pfizer does same on 2nd shot but they easily could.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/21/2021 at 7:49 PM, Penguin said:

Has anyone gotten the 2nd dose of Pfizer yet? I'm curious as to how the felt afterwards.

 

I got my 2nd Pfizer dose yesterday morning. The injected area is somewhat sore (slightly more than after the first dose) but that's been about my only side effect thus far. I'm in my early 60's, if that matters.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So got an email yesterday that a kid on my sons middle school basketball team tested positive over the weekend. Last time they were together was last Wednesday at a game. They wear masks while playing, are separated on the bus with windows open. School said they need to quarantine through this Friday unless he had a negative test then he could return for his normal hybrid days of Thursday and Friday. He is feeling fine but since he is supposed to have a soccer tournament Saturday and Sunday (assuming snow melts) I thought might as well go get a rapid test tomorrow and be sure he is ok to play this weekend and he could get his two days of in person school in as well (he does much better in person and has been losing days because of the snow).

The local hospital has a rapid testing clinic set up, I call to get an appointment and I'm told that they won't test him because without symptoms they won't test until after 10 days from exposure because it could take that long to develop symptoms. I'm like that makes no sense, why would anyone that had no symptoms get tested 10 days after exposure when the quarantine is up? Explain again that the school nurses email said after 5 days if you get a negative test you are considered cleared, they say their guideline is to tell people to quarantine 10 days no matter if you get a negative test or not and they will only test with symptoms.

So you try and do the right thing, follow the guidelines and go get a test as an extra precaution and they won't let you. It's no wonder people don't follow the rules. For what it is worth I did find another rapid testing center that is no appointment required and a drive thru so I'll be taking him tomorrow. Difference is this is a lab and not hospital affiliated so no insurance I have to pay $85.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

For those who had the second injection. Did you get it in the same arm as the first?  Switch it up?

Just got my 2nd dose today, same arm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My daughter threw up Sunday night. Didn't feel too bad though. No fever, no other symptoms other than some light diarrhea. 

Took her to get tested.... positive. 

So, now we are quarantined. Wife gets two weeks of vacation (sick time... but she has like 6 months worth built up so no biggie). 

My stomach has been uneasy since Sunday but other than that I feel fine. My wife has had some minor throat things but felt fine. Neither of us would think anything other about how we felt other than just normal life but now we are wondering if we have it too or not. 

  • Sad 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the Moderna today and man what a great pharmacist.  If you read up thread, I got a text that I was to be delayed 5 days.  Then that night I got a phone call, direct from the pharmacist, saying my shot was back on.  Well, there was indeed a delay, however she gave out her reserves or whatever to customers, instead.

Long story short, her own 2nd shot was scheduled for Friday, along with staff.  But they only have enough left for today and tomorrow.  So she put herself and staff at the end of the line and honored the current appointments until there will be more vaccines.

Yes, those boosters can get done at a later date but still, it's the principle and how she went about the situation that was selfless.  Very cool.

Edited by Rodrigo Duterte
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2021 at 7:48 AM, jobarules said:

If you go on NY state vaccine website, its says no vaccines available at any of their vaccine sites until April 16th. They even blame the shortage on supply issues right there on the website.

I could be wrong but I highly doubt NY is booked April 16th, it may just look that way. Our system is the same way but we only book one week ahead. With the supply like it is now, we barely can guarantee through the next week and preparing for even more uncertainty. With delays from the storm a lot of places are catching up on rescheduled appointments before putting new ones out.

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

Got the Moderna today and man what a great pharmacist.  If y read upthread, I got a text that I was to be delayed 5 days.  Then that night I got a phone call, direct from the pharmacist, saying my shot was back on.  Well, long story short, there was indeed a delay, however she gave out her reserves or whatever to customers, instead.

Long story short, her 2nd shot was scheduled for Friday, along with staff.  But they only have enough left for today and tomorrow.  So she put herself and staff at the end of the line and honored the current appointments until there there will be no more vax left (tomorrow).

Yes, those boosters can get done at a later date but still, it's the principle and how she went about the situation that was selfless.  Very cool.

Exactly what I’d hope most places would do. We keep employees separate off the schedule and just fit them in when we have no shows or extra doses once they are in their window.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

For those who had the second injection. Did you get it in the same arm as the first?  Switch it up?

I thought about it before the shot. Went with same arm. Mild soreness, but it seems to be less than the first one. The shot itself was nearly 100% pain free. So maybe it just hit in a little less sensitive spot this time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, SwampDawg said:

So got an email yesterday that a kid on my sons middle school basketball team tested positive over the weekend. Last time they were together was last Wednesday at a game. They wear masks while playing, are separated on the bus with windows open. School said they need to quarantine through this Friday unless he had a negative test then he could return for his normal hybrid days of Thursday and Friday. He is feeling fine but since he is supposed to have a soccer tournament Saturday and Sunday (assuming snow melts) I thought might as well go get a rapid test tomorrow and be sure he is ok to play this weekend and he could get his two days of in person school in as well (he does much better in person and has been losing days because of the snow).

The local hospital has a rapid testing clinic set up, I call to get an appointment and I'm told that they won't test him because without symptoms they won't test until after 10 days from exposure because it could take that long to develop symptoms. I'm like that makes no sense, why would anyone that had no symptoms get tested 10 days after exposure when the quarantine is up? Explain again that the school nurses email said after 5 days if you get a negative test you are considered cleared, they say their guideline is to tell people to quarantine 10 days no matter if you get a negative test or not and they will only test with symptoms.

So you try and do the right thing, follow the guidelines and go get a test as an extra precaution and they won't let you. It's no wonder people don't follow the rules. For what it is worth I did find another rapid testing center that is no appointment required and a drive thru so I'll be taking him tomorrow. Difference is this is a lab and not hospital affiliated so no insurance I have to pay $85.

I've heard this a few times around here. The simple way around is say the kid has a fever and get the test. Is it right? No, you're lying about it but is it right that they are imposing a silly requirement of 10 days wait? Screw it, testing is plentiful enough now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Chadstroma said:

My daughter threw up Sunday night. Didn't feel too bad though. No fever, no other symptoms other than some light diarrhea. 

Took her to get tested.... positive. 

So, now we are quarantined. Wife gets two weeks of vacation (sick time... but she has like 6 months worth built up so no biggie). 

My stomach has been uneasy since Sunday but other than that I feel fine. My wife has had some minor throat things but felt fine. Neither of us would think anything other about how we felt other than just normal life but now we are wondering if we have it too or not. 

How old is your daughter?  Is she in school?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Z Machine said:

FDA gives J&J vax EUA.

Truly infuriating to me how this is getting reported. Had 3 friends text me today about the 66-75% efficacy thing. How it’s less than Moderna and Phizer. The headlines leave out the fact that if you get the vax you will not die from covid. 
 

You see, covid is bad because it kills people. Why is this not the screaming headlines?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Capella said:

Truly infuriating to me how this is getting reported. Had 3 friends text me today about the 66-75% efficacy thing. How it’s less than Moderna and Phizer. The headlines leave out the fact that if you get the vax you will not die from covid. 
 

You see, covid is bad because it kills people. Why is this not the screaming headlines?

I though it was also bad because of the long term effects?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Capella said:

Truly infuriating to me how this is getting reported. Had 3 friends text me today about the 66-75% efficacy thing. How it’s less than Moderna and Phizer. The headlines leave out the fact that if you get the vax you will not die from covid. 
 

You see, covid is bad because it kills people. Why is this not the screaming headlines?

The ‘not dying’ is a little too simplistic but considering the reduction of severe illness and hospitalizations is more important than the percentage effective. It’s not as great but still great in terms of what really matters on the goal of returning to normal.

Give two doses to medium-high risk people - anyone 55+, high risk health conditions or high exposure jobs. Everyone else give Johnson and Johnson or consider delaying the second dose of Moderna/Pfizer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went on Safeway's website this morning and they had appointments for this afternoon--so I am going to get mine here in a few hours. My wife already completed her two doses. Now we are going to stick our 16 year old on a waiting list. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...