What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

masks work
So that is my concern:  that we all send our kids back full time, so the distancing is gone due to class-size and masks aren't required either.  We all know kids get sick and bring home flu and other fun stuff in normal years.  Why would COVID be different?  Maybe kids don't get sick or as sick, but they certainly could spread it like they do every other thing.

We did 100% cyber this year mainly because we felt our son does better with a consistent routine:  constant remote, to hybrid, to full-time, to closures and changing around wouldn't be good for him.  Was also not confident he would be very mask compliant.  But we intend to send him in the fall -- just want them to do it right and not just pretend it is 2019.

So that is my concern:  that we all send our kids back full time, so the distancing is gone due to class-size and masks aren't required either.  We all know kids get sick and bring home flu and other fun stuff in normal years.  Why would COVID be different?  Maybe kids don't get sick or as sick, but they certainly could spread it like they do every other thing.

We did 100% cyber this year mainly because we felt our son does better with a consistent routine:  constant remote, to hybrid, to full-time, to closures and changing around wouldn't be good for him.  Was also not confident he would be very mask compliant.  But we intend to send him in the fall -- just want them to do it right and not just pretend it is 2019.
In September this won't be a concern. All adults who will want a vaccine will have one.

My county just dropped down a tier to "everybody with one underlying condition" which puts me in queue (asthma).  I'm now signed up to get my first shot on the 11th and the second shot on April 8.  That's earlier than I had expected, to be honest.
Yep Im getting it Saturday because my BMI is 33 which is above the 30 threshold. 

My daughter teaches 3rd grade here in SC. They have been full in person since September. The kids know the routine, they mask up when told, have partitions around their desks, do everything in room (school, lunch) and have outside recess when possible to get some fresh air. No issues in her class. Students drop in & out because of COVID but no major outbreaks. The HS just started back to full in person last week, have been virtual since the beginning of the year. We'll see how they fare.

Invariably, most COVID related incidents at daughters school are tied back to adults getting it, I don't recall any kids getting it and spreading.

We've figured this thing out for 8th grade and under, the only addition I would recommend is putting a low cost air scrubber in every room. The government threw stupid money at this but no one has even brought this up yet, seems stupid not to.

Must be nice to live in a state that is allowing those with underlying conditions get the vaccine.  Given the recent drop in cases, the incoming warmer weather/seasonal aspect that should decrease virus spread, and the growing level of immunity due to prior infection or vaccination, I probably won't even need the vaccine by the time they get to my group (which is a horrible outcome group due to an immune system disorder).  My state is going to *talk* about when to open it up to comorbidities in 1-2 weeks.  I'll just keep hiding until its safe. 

i probably wont have won until May  - it makes no sense here in NJ

They have these tiers but then they have private signups, outside of the mega sites - it just seems random 

Must be nice to live in a state that is allowing those with underlying conditions get the vaccine.  Given the recent drop in cases, the incoming warmer weather/seasonal aspect that should decrease virus spread, and the growing level of immunity due to prior infection or vaccination, I probably won't even need the vaccine by the time they get to my group (which is a horrible outcome group due to an immune system disorder).  My state is going to *talk* about when to open it up to comorbidities in 1-2 weeks.  I'll just keep hiding until its safe. 
You still need the vaccine.  

i probably wont have won until May  - it makes no sense here in NJ

They have these tiers but then they have private signups, outside of the mega sites - it just seems random 
PA is an absolute mess.   The state is still in group 1A and they just keep adding to it.  Smokers, fat people, and now teachers are ahead of first responders. 

It is absolutely nuts.

My wife and I (both in early 60s and in group 2) will be lucky to get vaccinated before June.  Meanwhile we have friends and their adult kids vaccinated due to the above relaxations of Group 1A.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've figured this thing out for 8th grade and under, the only addition I would recommend is putting a low cost air scrubber in every room. The government threw stupid money at this but no one has even brought this up yet, seems stupid not to.
A thousand times this. Can keep using them in the future, too, to keep down not just COVID but also influenza, rhinoviruses, 'legacy' coronaviruses, etc.

I lucked into a dose that was going to be wasted on 1/26. I haven't been able to find a second shot. I just got an appointment for Tuesday, exactly 42 days after my first shot.

PA is an absolute mess.   The state is still in group 1A and they just keep adding to it.  Smokers, fat people, and now teachers are ahead of first responders. 

It is absolutely nuts.

My wife and I (both in early 60s and in group 2) will be lucky to get vaccinated before June.  Meanwhile we have friends and their adult kids vaccinated due to the above relaxations of Group 1A.
It pretty stupid and semantics.  Now we have 100 categories in 1A.  Why aren't we calling them 1-2-3-4 anyway?  

Having said that, I think you are being pessimistic.  After teachers get their J&J this month, I think 1B will open.  The problem is that the older 1A people are just not getting access -- the mass vaccination sites should help with that.  Why has it taken so long to get these up is the real question/problem.

It pretty stupid and semantics.  Now we have 100 categories in 1A.  Why aren't we calling them 1-2-3-4 anyway?  

Having said that, I think you are being pessimistic.  After teachers get their J&J this month, I think 1B will open.  The problem is that the older 1A people are just not getting access -- the mass vaccination sites should help with that.  Why has it taken so long to get these up is the real question/problem.
I agree the categories 1A-C and then 2 never made any sense.  If they can screw up something so simple it comes as no surprise they are screwing the pooch on the rollout.

Perhaps I am being pessimistic but if it takes another month to get though 1A it seems reasonable to assume another month for 1B and then another for 1C , which puts group 2 into June.

WHen I first signed up to the state site the options were different then than now,  So i got put into group 2.  So I tried to chage and I cant.   But now we are still 1B but more people got put into 1B that were 1C.  Why not just 1C at this point.

So Im stuck in the end of the line no matter what now lol

It is absolutely nuts.

Virginia is nuts too. My in-laws live there. Father in-law is a 97 year old cancer survivor who hasn't been able to get one yet, neither has his 80 something wife who is basically his nurse. They're on multiple lists and haven't been given access to an appointment for over a month. I have no idea what the thinking is there. Crazy.

It is absolutely nuts.

I find it crazy how wildly different every state is executing their vaccination rollout. And I honestly don't know what the right answer is in terms of how to do it fairly. Another frustrating thing is how states may be documenting how people are eligible. I got my first shot yesterday as I was eligible as an essential worker. All I had to do to verify this was mark a checkbox on a slip of paper. There was no requirement to show proof of employment or anything. If I were less ethical, I would have got my wife to get one too. I am sure there are many people taking advantage of the system. But at least the vaccine is getting in arms, I guess.

Virginia is nuts too. My in-laws live there. Father in-law is a 97 year old cancer survivor who hasn't been able to get one yet, neither has his 80 something wife who is basically his nurse. They're on multiple lists and haven't been given access to an appointment for over a month. I have no idea what the thinking is there. Crazy.
First of all, that is awful. I hope the get a vaccine soon. The state run lists seem to be moving the slowest. Have you tried to see if some of the pharmacies are providing for them? I found a few CVS's in Virginia that have vaccine slots right now. Not sure if Walgreens is scheduling there but they only schedule for 3 days out so there are openings happening everyday. Good luck to you. 

I find it crazy how wildly different every state is executing their vaccination rollout. 
Well, every state is wildly different. Some states have lots of people and some have very few. Some states have 20-30 different healthcare systems to work through and some only have one (like West Virginia). Obviously makes it much easier to organize, prioritize and distribute when you only have one healthcare system to deal with.

First of all, that is awful. I hope the get a vaccine soon. The state run lists seem to be moving the slowest. Have you tried to see if some of the pharmacies are providing for them? I found a few CVS's in Virginia that have vaccine slots right now. Not sure if Walgreens is scheduling there but they only schedule for 3 days out so there are openings happening everyday. Good luck to you. 
Thanks. We live in Illinois, so advocating for them from here is tough. 

Awesome info. I was able to find available vaccine in a Rocky Mount CVS. They live in Roanoke. I'll get them signed up. Truly a life saver. Thanks again.

I just went to a website California has to see if you're eligible.  There was a question about health conditions, one of which was "obesity".  I would be considered "obese" by the standard BMI chart that is widely accepted.  I did not check that I was obese, maybe I should have.  Wonder if that would have changed anything.  I don't consider myself overly obese.  I could stand to lose 15-20 pounds, maybe more... but by no means am I a huge fat slob.  :lol:  

Thanks. We live in Illinois, so advocating for them from here is tough. 

Awesome info. I was able to find available vaccine in a Rocky Mount CVS. They live in Roanoke. I'll get them signed up. Truly a life saver. Thanks again.
That is awesome, I hope that works out for them.

I just went to a website California has to see if you're eligible.  There was a question about health conditions, one of which was "obesity".  I would be considered "obese" by the standard BMI chart that is widely accepted.  I did not check that I was obese, maybe I should have.  Wonder if that would have changed anything.  I don't consider myself overly obese.  I could stand to lose 15-20 pounds, maybe more... but by no means am I a huge fat slob.  :lol:  
By Cali standards.... 15-20 pounds is morbidly obese. 

(born and bred Cali expat who is actually a huge fat slob)

This is what wife and I took. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G8CB6P1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no idea if it was a placebo (prob not because I am so dang skeptical of everything) or coincidence or if actually helped but I took it the night I had minor cough and next day was fine. Wife's asthma that was acting up improved as she was taking it too. 

In case it helps anyone. 

And no, I do not have MD behind my name and I don't play one on TV so what the hell do I know?

I am 6'1" 250. I'm fat. Everyone I talk to thinks I'm crazy when I tell them I'm obese. Only my stomach is big.

Anyway, i have a 33 BMI. The minimum threshold to get the vaccine is 30. I'm getting the shot tomorrow.

BMI is kind of stupid because it doesn't take into account muscle. Not that I have muscle but I'd have to be 185 to be considered healthy weight. I'd look like a crack addict. I'm happiest at 220 so I do have 30lbs to lose. Considering I started the year at 266 I'm on my way.

By Cali standards.... 15-20 pounds is morbidly obese. 

(born and bred Cali expat who is actually a huge fat slob)
Wow, well maybe I should re-do my questionnaire.  I just had my physical yesterday and I check in at 6', 253 lbs.  I have extremely broad shoulders and am very short-waisted (short legs, long torso), so I carry it pretty well.  Most folks guess I weigh like 210, which is laughable.  I need to get down to 215-220.

I digress... I would like the vaccine ASAP but don't want to line-skip anyone.  Heck, my elderly parents are still waiting... although they both had COVID so can now wait.

And just like that POOF its gone. Due to multiple cases in the school the past week the whole building is going remote. Keep in mind due to the cohort my son was in he hasnt been in school since last Friday. This whole thing is an absolute joke. Kids sit in masks all day and sit in the same room all day. Why close the entire school? Just keep those classes remote.
This is my biggest hesitation to going back. Right now we’re choosing to stay remote. Our daughter is in kindergarten and I know she will do better in person. I’m comfortable with her going back in person now that I’m vaccinated and they are back offering in person learning. But she’s had a consistent teacher online the entire time. The one week that she had one of the other teachers she hated it. Put her back in person and she’ll have another teacher and always have that risk of going back and forth. I was going to try and convince my wife that we should do it but I think a few more months of consistency will be better even if it’s not the best learning and social environment. My answer might be different if she was a little older, but as a kindergartner, I don’t think it will set her back that much.

It is absolutely nuts.

You will probably be vaccinated no later than early April.  It’s just math at this point.  I’m way way back in line (40s, zero conditions, etc) and expect a first dose in early May.

I agree the categories 1A-C and then 2 never made any sense.  If they can screw up something so simple it comes as no surprise they are screwing the pooch on the rollout.

Perhaps I am being pessimistic but if it takes another month to get though 1A it seems reasonable to assume another month for 1B and then another for 1C , which puts group 2 into June.
I think my optimism may be misplaced. I apparently got really lucky to have used the Rite Aid link on one of the first days it was available without even vaccine hunting. PA, and specifically the philly suburbs (I am in Chester Co.) are a mess.

Seems like the state has not proportionally allocated shots out here and only 40,000 people have received a shot so far. I got an email from the main healthcare system here and they are still only vaccinating people who are 70yrs old, created an online chart, and have been seen at a facility in the last 2 years. Their next phase will include only pregnant women, cancer patients, people on dialysis, and those waiting for a transplant.  I thought we were closer to the state’s next phase, but we are not even close out here. 

Honestly, the vaccination systems seem totally insane to me. None of it makes sense, and lot of the time it just seems to be that it’s dumb luck or who you know that can get you a vaccine.

I had signed up on the NJ state website and got classified as 1C despite clearly being an essential worker, work in health and safety, and have been dealing directly with testing for the virus. Have heard basically nothing so far.

But got a hookup through a co-worker who had a connection through a government/charity group that was specifically tasked with vaccinating a specific high risk group. But they were consistently at risk of wasting shots because of factors related to the high risk group they are vaccinating, so if you have a connection, you can get signed up with them to get a vaccine if they inevitably end up with extras the day they are giving them. I didn’t quite feel right about it still and passed up the opportunity.

My wife has MS which puts her in a slightly higher risk category. She wasn’t having any luck either and put up a post on FB complaining about that. Turns out someone she knows is some sort of worker who helps find people appointments. Within 24 hours she got both of us scheduled for our first and second doses at a fairly nearby CVS. Scheduled for first dose this coming Friday.

Honestly, the vaccination systems seem totally insane to me. None of it makes sense, and lot of the time it just seems to be that it’s dumb luck or who you know that can get you a vaccine.

I had signed up on the NJ state website and got classified as 1C despite clearly being an essential worker, work in health and safety, and have been dealing directly with testing for the virus. Have heard basically nothing so far.

But got a hookup through a co-worker who had a connection through a government/charity group that was specifically tasked with vaccinating a specific high risk group. But they were consistently at risk of wasting shots because of factors related to the high risk group they are vaccinating, so if you have a connection, you can get signed up with them to get a vaccine if they inevitably end up with extras the day they are giving them. I didn’t quite feel right about it still and passed up the opportunity.

My wife has MS which puts her in a slightly higher risk category. She wasn’t having any luck either and put up a post on FB complaining about that. Turns out someone she knows is some sort of worker who helps find people appointments. Within 24 hours she got both of us scheduled for our first and second doses at a fairly nearby CVS. Scheduled for first dose this coming Friday.
Yeah its become like getting tickets on Ticket Master or getting a PS5. A lot of refreshing sites, trackers, etc. Everyone eligible can get a vaccine but it takes some work. 

Somebody posted up thread a few days ago about Americans excepting a BMI of 30 as not being overweight, it is, although everyone is different, different body types, etc. I’ve always thought of BMI as kinda pseudo science since it doesn’t account for muscle mass. I’ve always been a gym rat so had more muscle than average folks and felt like I’m being discriminated against by the BMI  :D

I’m 5’ 10” and 209 right now, BMI of around 30.1 (use a smart scale that reminds me everyday). I look at it as a metric to gauge progress more than something I get super hung up on. I think HR, blood pressure and some other metrics are better representatives of overall health than BMI. Looking to get down to around 200 but my training is going to take a significant hit soon so will be difficult for me as I eat like a pig. I work out pretty much solely so I can eat whatever junk I want.

It'd definitely a guideline and muscle mass can screw with it.  Saquon Barkley isn't fat.

All the BMI math does (using height and weight as the inputs) is make it so that you have a measure of mass that is uncorrelated with height.  Obviously height and weight go up together (on average), but BMI doesn't follow height.  It's almost entirely independent.

Wow, well maybe I should re-do my questionnaire.  I just had my physical yesterday and I check in at 6', 253 lbs.  I have extremely broad shoulders and am very short-waisted (short legs, long torso), so I carry it pretty well.  Most folks guess I weigh like 210, which is laughable.  I need to get down to 215-220.

I digress... I would like the vaccine ASAP but don't want to line-skip anyone.  Heck, my elderly parents are still waiting... although they both had COVID so can now wait.
My experience has been most folks have zero clue about what different weights look like.

That my experience while 6' 250ish years ago before I got in shape...then the same height and in the 240 range again last year before going on a health kick right before Covid started then mainly in the fall in a bet with two friends.

At 205 now...people likely think I weigh decently under 200 if they look at me now.  Because our notion here is not really all that healthy.

Oh yeah...and there is a great diet thread on here for anyone interested.

I have not been an advocate for single-payer government healthcare, but this cluster shows the huge problems we have with divergent healthcare systems. 

So got my wife and I got second shot about 2 wks ago....I want to get back to semi normal but my kids havent gotten the shot yet so my wife is not comfortable with us doing anything ...im flying to Florida in a few weeks and she wants me to quarantine for a week when I get back and get a test before seeing the kids.  

.Ive seen some articles about carrying and passing on the virus even after vaccination but nothing conclusive... Any idea when theyll know more on this issue? 

Anything at this large of a scale will be a mess. No matter what we did it was unavoidable. Comparing it Ticketmaster or getting a PS5 is correct because that’s what happens when demand far exceeds supply.

As a retail pharmacy that got the vaccine in earlier than most, we were flying blind. Every day there were different instructions or rumors of what might happen. In anticipation, we tried to make a waiting list and collect pertinent information like age, health condition and occupation so that we would be able to sort the waitlist and adjust by what categories they decide to prioritize. That was a huge mistake and we got bombarded by thousands of people and made our jobs impossible even before getting the vaccine.

Then in the days before we got the vaccine we find out the scheduling system will be public and we will have little control over who gets appointments. When the appointments got loaded we tried to contact those on the waitlist but most missed out because it was a free-for-all and we were one of only 6 pharmacies in Phoenix metro to get the vaccine. There were weeks of screaming about how we let them down and weren’t taking care of them.

But things have progressed, more vaccine is available, probably 20-30x more pharmacies have the vaccine and they’ve been figure out what works. Mass vaccination sites will fill up within hours of releasing appointments once new groups become available. With the vaccine more widely distributed, you’re more likely to be able to go to your regular pharmacy and sign up for an appointment within a couple weeks. It’s no longer a few places with a 100 people fighting for each appointment spot. We used to release appointments and they’d be filled within hours, now it will take days. We’re not far from a time when we might not fill all of our appointments. That’s probably a couple months off.

I just happened to be online when Cooper sent out an email saying that the state was opening vaccines to people aged 16-64 with at least one high-risk condition, and that Camden County had set up a vaccination site at the county college that you could sign up for via Cooper or one other health system. My wife and I qualified so I got us on the list that night. We had our first shots on Monday and our seconds are scheduled for March 29. 

I just happened to be online when Cooper sent out an email saying that the state was opening vaccines to people aged 16-64 with at least one high-risk condition, and that Camden County had set up a vaccination site at the county college that you could sign up for via Cooper or one other health system. My wife and I qualified so I got us on the list that night. We had our first shots on Monday and our seconds are scheduled for March 29. 
I love seeing more people post that they're becoming eligible or getting their shots, but it also increases my frustration over what a cluster Washington is.  On Tuesday they issued updates for the first time in three weeks, finally giving some additional guidance on when we'll hit some upcoming phases.  We've been in the same phase (1B1) for over two months.  They estimate people here 16-64 with two risk factors will become eligible around April 26.  And god only knows when those with one or none will be in the queue - that April 26 phase is the last one they've listed, with anything after that marked as "more phases to come."  

I love seeing more people post that they're becoming eligible or getting their shots, but it also increases my frustration over what a cluster Washington is.  On Tuesday they issued updates for the first time in three weeks, finally giving some additional guidance on when we'll hit some upcoming phases.  We've been in the same phase (1B1) for over two months.  They estimate people here 16-64 with two risk factors will become eligible around April 26.  And god only knows when those with one or none will be in the queue - that April 26 phase is the last one they've listed, with anything after that marked as "more phases to come."  
We're going to see a major uptick in how much vaccine is available, so I would be shocked if those timetables don't get accelerated eventually. Good luck. 

I'm one who "qualified" as obese for BMI purposes at 200ish. I used to be 330 lbs in college so maybe it would still somewhat be relevant for me based on history. 

But either way, I happily signed up once I lucked into an availability and didn't feel at all guilty about it being some kind of loophole. 

We're going to see a major uptick in how much vaccine is available, so I would be shocked if those timetables don't get accelerated eventually. Good luck. 
These allegedly are the accelerated timetables here.  Regardless, you guys are at least two months ahead of us.  

Lest I seem only to complain about the handling of this here, I'll share a nice story.  My town has a large Native American population nearby (Suquamish tribe), and this week they announced they'd be vaccinating the entirety of our school system - teachers and other school workers - through their tribal vaccination program starting next week.  :thumbup:   

So got my wife and I got second shot about 2 wks ago....I want to get back to semi normal but my kids havent gotten the shot yet so my wife is not comfortable with us doing anything ...im flying to Florida in a few weeks and she wants me to quarantine for a week when I get back and get a test before seeing the kids.  

.Ive seen some articles about carrying and passing on the virus even after vaccination but nothing conclusive... Any idea when theyll know more on this issue? 
How old are the kids?  Are they in school?

Monday at 7 I can make an appointment to schedule my first dose.

Much of TN moving to phase 1c (16 and up with other conditions...for me its Asthma and High Blood Pressure)

Users who are viewing this thread