Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

3 hours ago, Doug B said:

Louisiana has thrown the vaccine doors open -- starting today, ages 16 and up with a host of common conditions are eligible for COVID vaccination. 16- and 17-yer-olds are only getting the Pfizer vaccine.

I didn't read the link so sorry if I'm asking a question that I coulda got an answer to myself... but I wonder why they are getting the Pfizer option.  Less chance of a reaction?  More readily available right now?

I am itchin' to get the shot.  I'm ready to travel for work again!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

I didn't read the link so sorry if I'm asking a question that I coulda got an answer to myself... but I wonder why they are getting the Pfizer option.  Less chance of a reaction?  More readily available right now?

Only the Pfizer was tested on 16 year olds

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, [icon] said:

Masks are mandatory indoors..  and everyone complies. The result is they're less than a third of the deaths per capita of the US. 

Do they at least whine about their liberties being taken away while doing it? I'm trying to make myself feel better about how people in this country act....

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, nirad3 said:
4 hours ago, Doug B said:

Louisiana has thrown the vaccine doors open -- starting today, ages 16 and up with a host of common conditions are eligible for COVID vaccination. 16- and 17-yer-olds are only getting the Pfizer vaccine.

Jobarules got it in one.

Put myself on eight waitlists this afternoon and made two vaccine appointments -- first for next Wednesday 3/17, then got an earlier one this Friday the 12th.

An hour ago, one of my waitlist places called me -- they had a cancellation for tomorrow afternoon, and I could I come in then? Five minutes from my house. Heck yes!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DallasDMac said:

Do they at least whine about their liberties being taken away while doing it? I'm trying to make myself feel better about how people in this country act....

LOL you know the answer to this. The rest of the world looks at us like we are morons. 

2 hours ago, nirad3 said:

I hear you brother. Haven't had a work trip in over a year and it's killing me. 

I have upcoming work trips to Pebble Beach for golf, Las Vegas x3, Maui, Aspen Colorado and Vienna Austria between June and December. Fingers crossed that all of them are a go. Let's GOOOOOOO.

2 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

I have upcoming work trips to Pebble Beach for golf, Las Vegas x3, Maui, Aspen Colorado and Vienna Austria between June and December. Fingers crossed that all of them are a go. Let's GOOOOOOO.

Is your employer hiring?

• Laughing 1

11 hours ago, RUSF18 said:

Fully vaccinated people can:

- Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing

- Visit with unvaccinated people from a single household who are at low risk for severe COVID-19 disease indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing

Funny timing on your post. Just yesterday, my wife sent out a text to our kid's four households that, out of an abundance of caution based on the CDC guidelines, and with us being so close to the finish line, that we would not be hosting Easter dinner at the house. We stated that hopefully this would be the last event we'd have to skip with vaccinations ramping up everywhere.

Most replies were what we expected. "We get  it, thanks for the heads up. We were planning to do our own thing, yada yada yada." Except for my wife's daughter. She totally blew up. Accused of us treating them like diseased animals. Also accused us of favoritism because we spent about 20 hours at my wife's son's house when we had been without power for nearly three days with no way to heat the house or cook during the recent freeze and outage. They had taken us in because the entire family had COVID around Christmas and are likely carrying anti-bodies. And we were safe while there, distanced. etc. And because, you know, the whole freezing and starving thing.

Wife tried to smooth it over once or twice but daughter continued the irrational, emotional onslaught at which point my wife had had enough and simply stopped communicating. The daughter has always been a self-centered drama queen, so I am fine with not having to deal with her. But we were stunned nonetheless.

• Sad 1

My wife and I got the Pfizer shot today.  Mass vaccination event at Bank of America Stadium. Took about an hour (not counting parking).  Looking forward to being done with this.

• Like 6

Friend got vaccinated today.   Drove 2+ hours from Chicago to central Illinois (Springfield) to a mass vaccination site that was welcoming IL residents from any county who wanted a vaccine, because they evidently have extra vaccine doses.

Given where I live (liberal utopia suburban IL), this is what I envision it will probably take for me to get vaccinated, otherwise it will take until September to get a shot here locally.  Just a hunch.  That said, more than happy to drive 2-3 hours (or more) to get vaccinated.

2 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Funny timing on your post. Just yesterday, my wife sent out a text to our kid's four households that, out of an abundance of caution based on the CDC guidelines, and with us being so close to the finish line, that we would not be hosting Easter dinner at the house. We stated that hopefully this would be the last event we'd have to skip with vaccinations ramping up everywhere.

Most replies were what we expected. "We get  it, thanks for the heads up. We were planning to do our own thing, yada yada yada." Except for my wife's daughter. She totally blew up. Accused of us treating them like diseased animals. Also accused us of favoritism because we spent about 20 hours at my wife's son's house when we had been without power for nearly three days with no way to heat the house or cook during the recent freeze and outage. They had taken us in because the entire family had COVID around Christmas and are likely carrying anti-bodies. And we were safe while there, distanced. etc. And because, you know, the whole freezing and starving thing.

Wife tried to smooth it over once or twice but daughter continued the irrational, emotional onslaught at which point my wife had had enough and simply stopped communicating. The daughter has always been a self-centered drama queen, so I am fine with not having to deal with her. But we were stunned nonetheless.

Generational reversal in my case. Wife's folks invited us to not one, but two separate extended family gatherings for Easter. One Saturday, and one Sunday. Would never do that in a normal non-pandemic year. Just seems like nothing but over-the-top defiance, thumbing their nose in a senseless crusade to compel this thing to be over.

Edited by BigJim®

57 minutes ago, BigJim® said:

Generational reversal in my case. Wife's folks invited us to not one, but two separate extended family gatherings for Easter. One Saturday, and one Sunday. Would never do that in a normal non-pandemic year. Just seems like nothing but over-the-top defiance, thumbing their nose in a senseless crusade to compel this thing to be over.

A friend did similar about 3 months into it.  He set up a poker game and kept pressing it.  I haven't played poker with them in 25 years.  And maybe 5 times total.  But he was hell-bent on doing it to see who would, and more importantly (to him), who wouldn't go.  The guy is 50+ years old, married with children, and acting like he's still in high school.  It blows my mind.

People pushing social events to see who's "with them or against them" are beyond help, imo.  I have no problem losing some meaningless friendships over this.  Some family included.  In that sense, this pandemic has been beneficial.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I’m definitely starting to get jealous of vaccinated people.  It will be months before I get one.  Just gotta keep reminding myself that it’s better to NOT have dangerous underlying health conditions.

You should look for opportunities to volunteer at vaccination sites.  Might just want to cold-call or email.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

It will be months before I get one.

Don't be so sure. Yesterday morning, I had no idea I'd be able to get a vaccination appointment the next day.

And Alaska just became the first state to open up vaccinations to all residents 16 and over -- no other qualification necessary. Yeah, it's simpler for Alaska since they're a small state with few dense pockets of population. But still. I think "vaccinate everyone" initiatives will start building up steam now.

EDIT: I am a little surprised that BMI doesn't factor into Maryland's vaccination phases.

Edited by Doug B

4 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Don't be so sure. Yesterday morning, I had no idea I'd be able to get a vaccination appointment the next day.

And Alaska just became the first state to open up vaccinations to all residents 16 and over -- no other qualification necessary. Yeah, it's simpler for Alaska since they're a small state with few dense pockets of population. But still. I think "vaccinate everyone" initiatives will start building up steam now.

As they should. It was smart to give 65+ year olds the first shots, along with teachers and other essential workers. The exclusivity period should wind down and opening up appointments to everyone should be the goal now. 

• Thanks 1

Some states are really slow-rolling the phases. Was looking at Maryland's info ... they haven't changed phase since January 25th. By contrast, Louisiana has opened up wider phases twice since then (Feb 22 and March 9).

37 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

You should look for opportunities to volunteer at vaccination sites.  Might just want to cold-call or email.

I've been told this is available, especially for the mass vaccination events like I just had.  I've also been told that you can put your name on wait lists for local providers.  If people who had an appointment don't show up, they have excess vaccine that can't go back into the fridge so it has to be used.  If your name is on the list, they will give you a call or text and you have like 15 minutes to get in.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Some states are really slow-rolling the phases. Was looking at Maryland's info ... they haven't changed phase since January 25th. By contrast, Louisiana has opened up wider phases twice since then (Feb 22 and March 9).

NY just opened it to 60 and above today

15 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Right, I’m in Maryland, we haven’t even started phase 2.  I’m in phase 3, so I don’t think I’ll be eligible to even sign up for an appointment until well over half the state has already been vaccinated.

4 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Right, I’m in Maryland, we haven’t even started phase 2.  I’m in phase 3, so I don’t think I’ll be eligible to even sign up for an appointment until well over half the state has already been vaccinated.

I think once the supply catches up with demand in the next 30-60 days, shots will be flying for everyone who wants one.  Then we see what the new restrictions are.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, moleculo said:

I've been told this is available, especially for the mass vaccination events like I just had.  I've also been told that you can put your name on wait lists for local providers.  If people who had an appointment don't show up, they have excess vaccine that can't go back into the fridge so it has to be used.  If your name is on the list, they will give you a call or text and you have like 15 minutes to get in.

This. When I was putting myself on waitlists yesterday at the small local pharmacies/clinics, I let them each know that I was available to take no-show/waste vaccinations. One of the places told me if I had called two minutes earlier, I could have gone down there immediately and received a vaccine.

Note that this was with me not having an "in" or a buddy working there or anything like that. Just a stranger on the other end of the phone. It's worth calling around to see what you can scare up.

so here's something that maybe could go in the PSF but it's topical to this discussion.  My FIL is in Florida.  He got his vaccine thru a church.  Apparently some mega church in the area was able to purchase shots for it's congregation so worship in person could happen sooner.  Not enough church members signed up for the shot so he was able to get his from them, even though he doesn't attend that particular church.

Because this is not the PSF I will hold my comments about churches getting vaccines or people not taking advantage of available shots.

36 minutes ago, Doug B said:

This. When I was putting myself on waitlists yesterday at the small local pharmacies/clinics, I let them each know that I was available to take no-show/waste vaccinations. One of the places told me if I had called two minutes earlier, I could have gone down there immediately and received a vaccine.

Note that this was with me not having an "in" or a buddy working there or anything like that. Just a stranger on the other end of the phone. It's worth calling around to see what you can scare up.

As best as I can tell an ineligible person is simply not allowed to register for a vaccine in Maryland. 

15 hours ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

13 hours ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

When you work in the travel industry, one of the benefits is being able to travel to some pretty cool places.

:lol:  I haven't traveled for work in a few years, unfortunately.  The job I have now includes travel, but has been halted due to COVID, of course. 

And I will get to go to po-dunk towns in Texas mainly.  And North Dakota, Phoenix area, probably Louisiana.  I work on the construction/investment management side of affordable housing, and many of our projects are out in the middle of nowhere.  It'll be cool to see "small town America" again.  I'm trapped in suburban hell outside of LA and hate it.  I always used work travel as an escape.  

2 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I’m definitely starting to get jealous of vaccinated people.  It will be months before I get one.  Just gotta keep reminding myself that it’s better to NOT have dangerous underlying health conditions.

Totally.  Between here and Facebook, I see and hear of a ton of folks in my age group getting the shot and I'm like "why not me!?!??!".  

I think I'm 60-90 days away.  By the summer we should be rockin' and rollin'.  :) 

• Like 2

We were supposed to fly to Phoenix on Sunday but found out my daughter was exposed by the stylist who cut and colored her hair on Monday. I’m assuming that even though they were both masked, and even if she gets a negative test on Friday and has no symptoms by Sunday, that we should cancel the trip? Kids are going to be crushed.

2 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

And also for all of us old, fat, decrepit people not to spread the disease.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug B said:

I think that shows the differences in vaccine demand. 

1 hour ago, Doug B said:

Are you qualified in your area under the current tier?

43 minutes ago, moleculo said:

so here's something that maybe could go in the PSF but it's topical to this discussion.  My FIL is in Florida.  He got his vaccine thru a church.  Apparently some mega church in the area was able to purchase shots for it's congregation so worship in person could happen sooner.  Not enough church members signed up for the shot so he was able to get his from them, even though he doesn't attend that particular church.

Because this is not the PSF I will hold my comments about churches getting vaccines or people not taking advantage of available shots.

WTF?  How can a church get access to a vaccine for distribution?  Every single shot should flow through the federal or state government for distribution.

33 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

Totally.  Between here and Facebook, I see and hear of a ton of folks in my age group getting the shot and I'm like "why not me!?!??!".  

I think I'm 60-90 days away.  By the summer we should be rockin' and rollin'.  :) 

Have you called your local CVS and Rite Aids?  And/or talk to your pharmacist.  It clearly states on the CDC site that once vax's are doled out to pharmacies, it's up to local jurisdictions from there.  If you can develop some dialog with them, one will drop.

The volunteering route may work as well for you.  With multiple avenues to take at this point, I'd rather find a way, than wait 2 or 3 months.  I'm waiting for the 2nd shot and it feels like the longest month of the whole ordeal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, 3 hour lunch said:

We were supposed to fly to Phoenix on Sunday but found out my daughter was exposed by the stylist who cut and colored her hair on Monday. I’m assuming that even though they were both masked, and even if she gets a negative test on Friday and has no symptoms by Sunday, that we should cancel the trip? Kids are going to be crushed.

CDC guidelines are 7 day quarantine after close contact with a negative test

26 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

WTF?  How can a church get access to a vaccine for distribution?  Every single shot should flow through the federal or state government for distribution.

Bible Belt Mane. 

28 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

no idea, other than Florida.

16 minutes ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

Have you called your local CVS and Rite Aids?  And/or talk to your pharmacist.  It clearly states on the CDC site that once vax's are doled out to pharmacies, it's up to local jurisdictions from there.  If you can develop some dialog with them, one will drop.

The volunteering route may work as well for you.  With multiple avenues to take at this point, I'd rather find a way, than wait 2 or 3 months.  I'm waiting for the 2nd shot and it feels like the longest month of the whole ordeal.

seriously.  It hasn't even been 24 hours for me but I'm starting to get antsy.

1 hour ago, The Z Machine said:

Are you qualified in your area under the current tier?

Yes. 

EDIT: As of yesterday at noon, easily 3/4 of Louisiana’s adults qualify. Really, the floodgates are open here.

Edited by Doug B

1 hour ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

I have not.  My company still has a no-travel policy so there's really no rush for me, although I'd certainly feel more comfortable out in public if I had the vaccine.

I will check with CVS/Rite-Aid.  I did hear that Rite-Aids were the first to start giving them out here in SoCal.

26 minutes ago, Doug B said:

EDIT: As of yesterday at noon, easily 3/4 of Louisiana’s adults qualify. Really, the floodgates are open here.

Yeah, that's why we have such different perspectives.  Maryland is still very restricted.  

Also, when 3/4 of Maryland's adults finally do become eligible, I still won't be eligible, because I'm under 65, healthy, and don't have a job that meets any of the requirements. So I'll have to wait until most of the adults in the state have been vaccinated before I can get one. That's going to take a while.

56 minutes ago, belljr said:

The arm was an option?  Son of a..

There seemed to be another room offering more privacy...maybe that was for the drop your shorts and bend over crowd.

9 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Yeah, that's why we have such different perspectives.  Maryland is still very restricted.  

Also, when 3/4 of Maryland's adults finally do become eligible, I still won't be eligible, because I'm under 65, healthy, and don't have a job that meets any of the requirements. So I'll have to wait until most of the adults in the state have been vaccinated before I can get one. That's going to take a while.

Hogan hasn't done a great job about managing the comms on the vaccine roll-out, but then again, no one has done well with this.  As it stands, about 19.5% of the MD population has at least one dose.  That's not even getting beyond essential workers or those under 65.  Demand is very strong in this state.  I imagine DC would be equally strong or stronger.  Good for a herd immunity perspective locally, but not good from a "get a jab" perspective individually.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moleculo said:

One of the pharmacies in my town, says they will do on-site clinics for groups of more than 3 people.  They did a clinic at my parents church.  It wasn't really the church buying the shots, just contacting them and asking.  It was only for eligible groups though, at least for the sign up.  Some left overs went to anyone who was there.  Maybe it was something like that?