Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

40 minutes ago, b-snatchers said:

Question:

I am waiting my turn for the vaccine, but noticed there is a website now dr b which is a standby list in case there are any extra vaccines. Has anyone ever used this waitlist or any other one?

I got my first dose because someone didn't show up for their second dose. 

9 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

In your office, if others are vaccinated (or had the option and opted against it), then yes, no masks.

My office has been weird about it. It never closed 100% through everyone but the owner and the CEO started working 40hr/wk from home close to 100% starting March 23, 2020. For anyone else who did go into the office between then and, say, early December 2020, they had to take a temperature check and remain masked. 

Over the past several months, we've hired several millennial employers (who feel bulletproof) and also added two other middle-aged folks who are just straight-up "plan-demic" types. A few people, including the owner, caught COVID last fall (but apparently breezed through it). We've also moved offices. Long story short, the new workplace has turned into a "masks not needed here" office. Some mask, some don't, nobody enforces anything. Thankfully, even though it's an open office plan, we all sit pretty far apart from one other, and there's never more than six or seven people in here (a full house would be 15 or 16). Also, several of the employees have gotten the vaccine already, including at least two of the millennials to my surprise.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, b-snatchers said:

I am waiting my turn for the vaccine, but noticed there is a website now dr b which is a standby list in case there are any extra vaccines. Has anyone ever used this waitlist or any other one?

Never used a website to get on waitlists. Around here (New Orleans area), you have to call around to local independent pharmacies (state dept of health website has a list) and ask to be placed on waitlists. I got on eight waitlists. One place waitlisted me, then called me back two hours later with a next-day appointment.

2 hours ago, b-snatchers said:

Question:

I signed up for Dr. B but I have no expectations that I'll get a dose that way. 

As of next week, my son's school will be fully in-person, with the option to stay home for kids that choose.  My daughter's school has been like this since they came back from Christmas, but my son's school has been hybrid (half home, half in-person) since last Spring.

1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

As of next week, my son's school will be fully in-person, with the option to stay home for kids that choose.  My daughter's school has been like this since they came back from Christmas, but my son's school has been hybrid (half home, half in-person) since last Spring.

Here in SoCal - at least our district - we have been hybrd.  Kids go in from 11:30-2 four days a week.  On Wednesdays they are on Zoom in the morning.  They have independent learning every day along with in-person.  Which means Mom and Dad have to help out.  Glad I work from home, because I devote at least an hour or so every day to helping them out. 

Honestly, I don't know how folks who have to work in an office or store or whatever on-site do it.  Who takes care of those kids?  Gramma and Grampa?  I feel very fortunate.  I don't think my kids are learning as much as they would totally in-person, and socialization is down big time. I feel bad for them.

7 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I mentioned it before but I think I may keep wearing one at times.  I'm somewhat prone to colds/viruses - never had the greatest immune system - and if I can avoid a few of those episodes yearly then I'm willing.  I totally get why folks would stop wearing them if they rarely get sick and are vaccinated.  I probably would too.  I hope it starts a trend of people being sick and either staying home or wearing a mask to protect others.

I really don't mind wearing one.  And if it makes others feel better I'll certainly continue to do it.  I haven't been sick in over a year now either and that is awesome!

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 10:09 AM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Will go eat outside in April and May as well.  Not sure when I will be comfortable eating indoors -- maybe July? 

We have our second restaurant reservation since last March. The first was on our anniversary in September. Cases were low and restaurants were at 50% capacity. Honestly, we were not comfortable and really were unable to enjoy it, so we never tried again, not even for outdoor dining. But this time is late next month and it is a milestone birthday for my wife. Not much of a trade-off for her as the original plan was 10-12 days in Spain. But we are both fully vaccinated now and this is an upper-end restaurant, so we feel confident they'll be doing everything right. Hopefully this time is much more enjoyable.

On 3/11/2021 at 10:47 PM, moleculo said:

For those curious - this was the first post in this thread on 3/11/2020.

kudos to us - we had a 173 page thread on COVID before most of the rest of the country started paying attention.  Thanks to this thread, many of us were able to beat the Great TP Rush of 2020.

I remember the first thing I did on 3/12/2020 was go to the liquor store and stock up on bourbon and vodka.  I'm not much of a liquor guy - I'm planning on finishing that bottle tomorrow.

Thanks to this thread I sold a significant percentage of my stock holdings and ended up more than doubling my retirement account in one year.  Probably knocked 4-5 years off my retirement age

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Thanks to this thread I sold a significant percentage of my stock holdings and ended up more than doubling my retirement account in one year.  Probably knocked 4-5 years off my retirement age

That's amazing timing.

Just now, parasaurolophus said:

They are doing it because they want to stay ahead of variants and a surge. 

Oh yeah, that too. 

But we won't have a surge here because of our sweet NPIs and strong adherence to rules in this country. 

Update from 1st Pfizer shot wednesday:

Woke up Thursday arm kind of sore...like I did some push-ups sore.  As the day went ont, it felt like someone hit me with 8 froggers in a row In the same spot. 

No fever, no fatigue. No symptoms other than it is now Saturday and it still hurts to lift my arm above shoulder level.  I've never had this type of issue with any other shot.  Weird.

But, I'll take some arm pain for peace of mind.

• Like 1

Had a crushing moment with a patient today. While I was giving her a shot (shingles, not COVID) she told me that she just got back from the funeral of the 21st family member to die from COVID and expressed how mentally exhausted she is. It’s hard to even imagine that much death in the family in one year, not to mention from one cause.

• Sad 6

39 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

Had a crushing moment with a patient today. While I was giving her a shot (shingles, not COVID) she told me that she just got back from the funeral of the 21st family member to die from COVID and expressed how mentally exhausted she is. It’s hard to even imagine that much death in the family in one year, not to mention from one cause.

Wow that's crazy. One of my wife's friends husband was just hospitalized, they are the in the overblown category but luckily he's doing better

Sad story about a late December college graduation small celebration leading to 79 year old abuelo's death in January. His death occurred 2 weeks short of receiving the vaccine.

In the COVID ward, I held Abuelo’s hand as the virus took him

>>It was getting harder to keep my grandparents away. It was the graduation of Abuelo’s only grandson, and he was old, my mom said. Long before COVID-19, she was already counting each event as a potential last. He and his wife would be there.

Our relationship with the virus had shifted by then. It wasn’t the unknown we feared anymore. We knew masks worked pretty well and small groups were the most we could allow. We knew people who had been sick and done well. Manny had seen older folks get the virus and improve. 

We couldn’t parse out each individual item that went into our collective algorithm of risk assessment. I suspect each family had their own after nine months of quarantine. I also suspect few really understood what they were sacrificing when they made their decisions. We certainly didn’t — even in a family with a doctor who had lived it and a journalist who had covered it. We told ourselves what we needed to cling to a moment of normalcy. 

It happened so fast that it blindsided us. Two days later, my grandpa tested positive. <<

2 hours ago, Biff84 said:

This seems impossible.  I mean even if the entire family is 75+ with a bmi of 30+ you'd still need a family size of 250 to realistically expect that outcome. 

2 hours ago, culdeus said:

This seems impossible.  I mean even if the entire family is 75+ with a bmi of 30+ you'd still need a family size of 250 to realistically expect that outcome. 

Family is a broad term especially in Hispanic communities. Could be close friends of the family or distant relatives. But I have no reason to doubt her.

4 hours ago, Biff84 said:

Family is a broad term especially in Hispanic communities. Could be close friends of the family or distant relatives. But I have no reason to doubt her.

And Hispanic families often seem incapable (or unwilling) of adhering to any sort of restrictions. Households often contain multiple families. Social distancing and masking is largely ignored at family events and hugs are common. They are very family-centric and simply cannot bring themselves to follow guidelines around close friends and relatives. Unfortunately, this is a result of that closeness.

Just now, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Me too. Like are we out of this or not?  And then if the rest of the world is still in full pandemic transmission, can we really open up fully?

We are not out of this as a world, not by a long shot.  Will hospitals in the United States get overwhelmed like what happened in NYC and a few other cities at the height of the pandemic? No, that's unlikely.

The question is how many excess deaths can be prevented with targeted and effective NPIs, vaccine acceptance and penetration, and limited travel?

The J&J vaccine and others that are similar need to get worldwide distribution and the US should support that effort strongly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DallasDMac said:

And Hispanic families often seem incapable (or unwilling) of adhering to any sort of restrictions. Households often contain multiple families. Social distancing and masking is largely ignored at family events and hugs are common. They are very family-centric and simply cannot bring themselves to follow guidelines around close friends and relatives. Unfortunately, this is a result of that closeness.

Right and I think the most telling part was that they were continuing to have funerals despite what the virus has done to their family.

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Me too. Like are we out of this or not?  And then if the rest of the world is still in full pandemic transmission, can we really open up fully?

No, not yet.  60-90 more days and we'll be in a different world though.

for those of you who have had the vaccine and children: how are you handling things moving forward?

I have two kids, ages 12-14.  Obviously, they are low risk but my oldest does have asthma so there is a little concern there.  Overall, they have done OK at adapting to COVID - they wear their masks everywhere, constant washing hands, 6' of space, etc.

My wife and I will have our 2nd shot in a couple of weeks.  the thoughts of getting back to normal start running through my head, but I get a little stuck thinking that we aren't completely in the clear - I am still living with two unvaccinated kids, after all.  I'm talking about things like getting back into jiu-jitsu - pretty much the opposite of social distancing... or being in crowds - football, concerts, etc.  

It feels a bit selfish to resume normal activities at this point until the kids are vaccinated.  Feels like it would be a bit hypocritical.  

Fortunately, we should be vaccinating kids by the fall so there is an end in sight, it's just longer than I had hoped.

On 3/14/2021 at 9:50 AM, The Z Machine said:

We are not out of this as a world, not by a long shot.  Will hospitals in the United States get overwhelmed like what happened in NYC and a few other cities at the height of the pandemic? No, that's unlikely.

The question is how many excess deaths can be prevented with targeted and effective NPIs, vaccine acceptance and penetration, and limited travel?

The J&J vaccine and others that are similar need to get worldwide distribution and the US should support that effort strongly. 

Yep, one of the epidemiologists I follow was just talking about the lack of variant explosion here in the U.S. She has several theories (vaccination helping a little bit, just good luck so far, and the one she most believes is most likely... it's still en route.) Watching other places (UK, Ireland and currently Italy--the B117 strain) where the variants really exploded, it did so once they hit the roughly 50% mark. (That is, once 50% of new cases were the variant strain, it led to an explosion in number of cases). Right now, we are at ~30-40% variant existence.  Cases are dropping, yes, but we are still well above "good" levels, and it could turn on a dime if one of the variants gets a foothold. It's literally a race at this point. States loosening/dropping restrictions/spring break vs. getting people vaccinated vs. the variants infecting more and more vectors. As that article from back in the spring put it, the hammer and the dance. 

26 minutes ago, moleculo said:

for those of you who have had the vaccine and children: how are you handling things moving forward?

I have two kids, ages 12-14.  Obviously, they are low risk but my oldest does have asthma so there is a little concern there.  Overall, they have done OK at adapting to COVID - they wear their masks everywhere, constant washing hands, 6' of space, etc.

My wife and I will have our 2nd shot in a couple of weeks.  the thoughts of getting back to normal start running through my head, but I get a little stuck thinking that we aren't completely in the clear - I am still living with two unvaccinated kids, after all.  I'm talking about things like getting back into jiu-jitsu - pretty much the opposite of social distancing... or being in crowds - football, concerts, etc.  

It feels a bit selfish to resume normal activities at this point until the kids are vaccinated.  Feels like it would be a bit hypocritical.  

Fortunately, we should be vaccinating kids by the fall so there is an end in sight, it's just longer than I had hoped.

My son has been doing normal activities (except school) since last summer. This includes playing baseball (travel and little league) and going to family and friend's houses.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jobarules said:

My son has been doing normal activities (except school) since last summer. This includes playing baseball (travel and little league) and going to family and friend's houses.

One of the things we're going to come to accept about COVID in the next few years is that it really doesn't spread outdoors at all. Right now, it's too fresh and harmful to take risks with ... but with a few years retrospection, it'll be "Yeah, we can no look at all that 2020-21 data, and it's clear it never really spread outdoors."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jobarules said:

my question is more along the lines of, will you resume "risky" behavior such as large crowds knowing you have unvaccinated children?

1 minute ago, moleculo said:

my question is more along the lines of, will you resume "risky" behavior such as large crowds knowing you have unvaccinated children?

I dont really think covid is any more risky for children than the flu so I have zero issues.

7 minutes ago, Doug B said:

One of the things we're going to come to accept about COVID in the next few years is that it really doesn't spread outdoors at all. Right now, it's too fresh and harmful to take risks with ... but with a few years retrospection, it'll be "Yeah, we can no look at all that 2020-21 data, and it's clear it never really spread outdoors."

Yeah, last season not a single player or coach missed a game due to Covid.

Edited by jobarules

7 minutes ago, Doug B said:

After playing all of last summer and fall I have almost zero concern for warm outdoor transmission within reason.  Yeah if I'm packed outside with like 50k people maybe but locally almost no concern

41 minutes ago, moleculo said:

We have an almost 11 year old daughter (10 years, 9 months), and as a family we love to eat out at restaurants (well I love to and they tolerate it). We were regulars at 6 or 7 local places: Diner, pizza place, and 4 or 5 other sit-down places where the staff and owners knew us. I am still struggling with the right answer once my wife and I are vaccinated. I am super uncomfortable to think of bringing my daughter with us to restaurants again just because my wife and I are vaccinated. Maybe we can drop her at a friend's house. It's tough. I will say this. If the vaccine is approved for 12+, she's getting it if she's 11. She's 5 feet tall already, probably close to 100 lbs. 

7 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Yeah, last season not a single player or coach missed a game due to Covid.

How about the NFL? Seems like if in-game spread had ever happened, it would have made national headline news. When a player caught COVID and then got a player group benched, it seemed like possible exposure to the COVID player took place in meeting rooms, film room, indoors outside of the team facility, on the team plane, etc. -- as opposed to outside on the practice field.

Edited by Doug B

7 minutes ago, belljr said:

After playing all of last summer and fall I have almost zero concern for warm outdoor transmission within reason.  Yeah if I'm packed outside with like 50k people maybe but locally almost no concern

That's the only exception that I can maybe see -- an absolutely jam-packed outdoor crowd scene.

35 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Yep, one of the epidemiologists I follow was just talking about the lack of variant explosion here in the U.S. She has several theories (vaccination helping a little bit, just good luck so far, and the one she most believes is most likely... it's still en route.) Watching other places (UK, Ireland and currently Italy--the B117 strain) where the variants really exploded, it did so once they hit the roughly 50% mark. (That is, once 50% of new cases were the variant strain, it led to an explosion in number of cases). Right now, we are at ~30-40% variant existence.  Cases are dropping, yes, but we are still well above "good" levels, and it could turn on a dime if one of the variants gets a foothold. It's literally a race at this point. States loosening/dropping restrictions/spring break vs. getting people vaccinated vs. the variants infecting more and more vectors. As that article from back in the spring put it, the hammer and the dance. 

I keep reading this stuff, but none of it matches up to the big data. 

Here is the UK dashboard. 

I mean it is March. We have been hearing about the UK variant for months. This came out today saying the variant is 55% more deadly. There is no way that a virus that is 55% more deadly and 70% more transmissible and has been talked about since december wouldn't be showing up in the big data right now. That just isn't possible. 

I mean look at that dashboard. Cases down, deaths down, tests way up. The testing increase alone should have yielded a ton of extra cases. They haven't vaccinated enough people to cancel out those numbers. 

I cant offer up a great explanation, but the only theory I can come up with is that even though the new variant may in fact be more transmissible than old variants and may be even more deadly, that the reason it isn't showing up in big data is because the new variants aren't more transmissible and deadly than previous variants used to be. 

I am not saying definitively and hopefully some others have good ideas other than the previous mantra of wait two weeks, but something just doesnt make sense. 

1 hour ago, moleculo said:

Our 3 year old has not been in daycare since last feb.  Now that we are vaccinated we are sending him back next month.  We will keep family gatherings to those that are vaccinated unless we are outside in which case we would wear masks unless everyone is vaccinated.

1 hour ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

The US has 25% of the global cases and deaths so if there was ever a place to create variants, it would think it would be here. Seems like we have exploded compared to the rest of the world.

I'm not sure I really understand the variant narrative. Is the South African variant that was the rage in January still a thing? Looking the the cratering cases in South Africa I find it hard to square the panic that caused a few months ago. Did it just leave South Africa and go somewhere else? Same with the UK variant; it was originally discovered in Kent and news reports in February were that it was "positioned to sweep the globe". The active cases in Kent are currently 1,400, down from 25,000 in January. Seems like good news, but I don't hear much follow up on positive variant news.

Edited by ericttspikes

On 3/14/2021 at 2:58 AM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Italy shutting down?

Germany backtracking as well.  Eased restrictions in areas that met specific new infection thresholds (7-day avg per 100k) last week and already most of those areas are seeing increased numbers and shutting back down.

22 minutes ago, Navin Johnson said:

Germany backtracking as well.  Eased restrictions in areas that met specific new infection thresholds (7-day avg per 100k) last week and already most of those areas are seeing increased numbers and shutting back down.

How is the USA in comparison to Germany and Italy?  I just am wondering if we are getting ahead of ourselves -- especially TX and the like.