Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

13 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

How is the USA in comparison to Germany and Italy?  I just am wondering if we are getting ahead of ourselves -- especially TX and the like.

idk...the thresholds in Germany are set at 50/100k and 100/100k 7-day totals, once they meet one or hold the top one for two weeks, restrictions are eased on a county by county basis, similar to California. 

It has been a while since I looked at data from many countries. Kinda surprised to see that Germany has 74K deaths. That shocked me. I thought they were considered super elite upper tier initially. Thats way better than us, but still way worse than I would have guessed. 

Lots of other surprises too...

4 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

It has been a while since I looked at data from many countries. Kinda surprised to see that Germany has 74K deaths. That shocked me. I thought they were considered super elite upper tier initially. Thats way better than us, but still way worse than I would have guessed. 

Nah, none of Europe has really done a good job, not even Germany.  This has been true from pretty early on — they just looked better than France or Italy.

7 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Moderna children trials just starting (6months to 11 years old).  Says will follow kids' progress for 12 months.  I know Pfizer started a trial on children, but I forget the age.  So probably a year or more before kids are vaccinated.  

Pfizer started a trial for ages 12-15 about two months ago. That suggests to me that in the near term, Pfizer will be the "middle schoolers" vaccine and Moderna's pediatric vaccine will be the "babies through elementary" vaccine.

I suspect strongly that the pediatric vaccines will receive emergency approval before the 12 months observation periods are over. Here's a NYT article (2/18/2021) that addresses the issue obliquely:

Pfizer and Moderna’s clinical trials in adults each enrolled about 50,000 participants. They had to be that large in order to show significant differences between the volunteers who received a vaccine and those who got a placebo. But because it is rarer for children to become seriously ill with Covid-19, that kind of trial design in children would not be feasible, because it would require many more participants to show an effect.

Instead, the companies will look at vaccinated children for signs of a strong immune response that would protect them from the coronavirus.

The part in red will not take 12 months to determine. And keep in mind that the adult vaccine trials keep patients under observation for two years -- yet emergency approvals were still granted in the U.S.

18 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Germany's death rate is 1/2 the US (deaths per 100k).

13 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Nah, none of Europe has really done a good job, not even Germany.  This has been true from pretty early on — they just looked better than France or Italy.

I wouldn't go that far. Iceland, Norway, Finland, and a few others handled it quite well

Ohio is dropping to 40 yrs old Friday and 16 yrs old on the 29th.  There are thousands of appts available for this week.  It looks like we are going to have a very hard time getting the majority of the population vaccinated.

25 minutes ago, moleculo said:

Germany's death rate is 1/2 the US (deaths per 100k).

Right(I said they were way better than us).

But look at Canada at even less than that. And plenty of other countries way less. I just remember Germany being lauded early. Seems things took a bad turn at some point. 

10 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

But look at Canada at even less than that. And plenty of other countries way less. I just remember Germany being lauded early. Seems things took a bad turn at some point. 

People like RFK, Jr. saying masks are like Nazis forcing things on people did not help.  He held big rallies in Europe.  

1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

I believe they did well on the first surge but got hit as hard as the rest of Europe on the second surge.

6 hours ago, bcat01 said:

Ohio is dropping to 40 yrs old Friday and 16 yrs old on the 29th.  There are thousands of appts available for this week.  It looks like we are going to have a very hard time getting the majority of the population vaccinated.

I can't find an appointment anywhere yet. :shrug:

1 hour ago, top dog said:

I can't find an appointment anywhere yet. :shrug:

Just the clinic at the Dayton convention center had over 1,000 available. Must depend on which part of state you are in.

Edited by bcat01

38 minutes ago, bcat01 said:

Just the clinic at the Dayton convention center had over 1,000 available. Must depend on which part of state you are in.

Just west of Cleveland. Most places are booked out. The local health department has some clinics but they are full through March. I'm registered with Drug Mart which seems like they are the best route. Most people I know that have been vaccinated have been through them. Giant Eagle has a scheduling tool, but you go to the site, wait in a queue for about 15 minutes for the site to tell you there are no appointments available. Same with Marcs. Just found out Samsclub does them as well, but they didn't have any available. 

I'll site on the sites like I'm trying to score a PS5 and see what I can get at midnight every night. 😆

• Like 1

In Ohio ... do you guys have small, local independent pharmacies? And if so, are they giving vaccines?

Around here in the New Orleans area, the big national pharmacies get booked up, but there are dozens of small places that have availability.

EDIT: Forgot to add, the small places require phone calls. No online sign-up.

Edited by Doug B

22 hours ago, bcat01 said:

Not in NC. I am in group 4 (generously) and the scheduling just opened up and 3 of the 4 places were unavailable and busy and the only appointment I got was June 3rd.

Interesting article on how things are going badly in Europe.  May be behind a paywall: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/16/briefing/blood-clots-oscar-nominees-opioid-purdue.html

Biggest surprise: 

“Europe is the world’s epicenter of vaccine skepticism,” Deutsch and Wheaton of Politico Europe write. That skepticism predated Covid, and now its consequences are becoming clear.

In a survey published in the journal Nature Medicine, residents of 19 countries were asked if they would take a Covid vaccine that had been “proven safe and effective.” In China, 89 percent of people said yes. In the U.S., 75 percent did. The shares were lower across most of Europe: 68 percent in Germany, 65 percent in Sweden, 59 percent in France and 56 percent in Poland.

Edited by worrierking

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Second dose of Moderna this friday. 

Are we taking Tylenol or advil?  And are we waiting for symptoms or taking it immediately or before bed etc?

My co-worker said she was advised to take Tylenol as higher blood pressure can be a side effect a d Tylenol will not increase your blood pressure but Advil can. And you’re supposed to take it after the shot, not before. Not sure why but my guess would be they don’t want it to potentially cover up immediate severe reactions.

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Not in NC. I am in group 4 (generously) and the scheduling just opened up and 3 of the 4 places were unavailable and busy and the only appointment I got was June 3rd.

keep checking.  There will be more mass-vaccinations at Bank of America Stadium.  When I got shot #1 at BofA stadium, reservations were opened up on Saturday for injection on Tuesday.  At the event, there were people there getting shot #2.  My shot #2 is scheduled for 3/30.  If they follow the same pattern, they will open up for vaccinations at the stadium on 3/27.

I used the Atrium app to make my reservation.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, moleculo said:

keep checking.  There will be more mass-vaccinations at Bank of America Stadium.  When I got shot #1 at BofA stadium, reservations were opened up on Saturday for injection on Tuesday.  At the event, there were people there getting shot #2.  My shot #2 is scheduled for 3/30.  If they follow the same pattern, they will open up for vaccinations at the stadium on 3/27.

I used the Atrium app to make my reservation.

Been trying, they had one at CLT but when I finally got the page it was not available and now it’s not getting there.

Got through again and tried the regular appointment and nada. I’ll keep trying. The CLT thing was today and tomorrow so no chance.

Edited by stbugs

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Second dose of Moderna this friday. 

Are we taking Tylenol or advil?  And are we waiting for symptoms or taking it immediately or before bed etc?

Before the first shot, I was advised to try my best to avoid anti-inflammatories at least for that first day or so after the vaccination. To an extent, you want your immune-reaction symptoms (if you get them) to run free for a while.

That said, I don't think this advice was absolute -- if someone came down with a migraine after their vaccination, I'm sure their going to take something. And IIRC ( @Terminalxylem? @gianmarco?) it's not that taking an anti-inflammatory voids out the vaccination ... it's that it delays the immune reaction so you don't get your max level of antibodies built up as quickly.

15 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Been trying, they had one at CLT but when I finally got the page it was not available and now it’s not getting there.

Got through again and tried the regular appointment and nada. I’ll keep trying. The CLT thing was today and tomorrow so no chance.

There are appointments still available here (Greensboro). If you want to take an hour + drive, go on the Walgreens website. Create an account. Go to schedule a vaccine. In the check availability window put in Jamestown, NC, and go from there. There are still appointments available. They have been doing the Moderna vaccine recently.

8 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Before the first shot, I was advised to try my best to avoid anti-inflammatories at least for that first day or so after the vaccination. To an extent, you want your immune-reaction symptoms (if you get them) to run free for a while.

That said, I don't think this advice was absolute -- if someone came down with a migraine after their vaccination, I'm sure their going to take something. And IIRC ( @Terminalxylem? @gianmarco?) it's not that taking an anti-inflammatory voids out the vaccination ... it's that it delays the immune reaction so you don't get your max level of antibodies built up as quickly.

I'm not aware of this but I'm also not involved with vaccine administration.  I also didn't get this as an instruction when I received mine so I highly doubt it's anything significant even if there is some effect.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I was told this also unless I got a fever

3 minutes ago, simey said:

There are appointments still available here (Greensboro). If you want to take an hour + drive, go on the Walgreens website. Create an account. Go to schedule a vaccine. In the check availability window put in Jamestown, NC, and go from there. There are still appointments available. They have been doing the Moderna vaccine recently.

Thanks. I checked and tried but it said the service is unavailable. I’ll try later. I’d drive to get it done earlier. 

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Thanks. I checked and tried but it said the service is unavailable. I’ll try later. I’d drive to get it done earlier. 

Walgreens in Concord has available appointments right now.

25 minutes ago, Doug B said:

In Louisiana, it's smoker or former smoker. On the honor system.

Illinois doesn’t even define the term “smoker.” Not clear if it means current or former.  Not clear if it refers to cigarettes, cigars, or pot.  Or all/any of them.

If I decided to start smoking today, does that mean I can get vaccinated?  Asking for a friend.

1 minute ago, Alex P Keaton said:
28 minutes ago, Doug B said:

In Louisiana, it's smoker or former smoker. On the honor system.

Illinois doesn’t even define the term “smoker.” Not clear if it means current or former.  Not clear if it refers to cigarettes, cigars, or pot.  Or all/any of them.

If I decided to start smoking today, does that mean I can get vaccinated?  Asking for a friend.

In NC, it is if you have smoked 100 cigarettes or more in your lifetime (ages 16 and older). 

• Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, simey said:

Walgreens in Concord has available appointments right now.

How are you seeing this? Is it on an app? I’m using my laptop and all I get is “Service unavailable, please try again later” every time. 

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

How are you seeing this? Is it on an app? I’m using my laptop and all I get is “Service unavailable, please try again later” every time. 

walgreens.com   >  schedule vaccine >  schedule new appoinment > Let’s check COVID-19 vaccine availability in your area >  YOU type in concord nc 

You have to create an account with Walgreens to schedule the appointment.  You do this on their website online, which is where I am seeing this information.

Edited by simey

13 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Brutal honesty: If its on the honor system ... yes, of course you can get vaccinated if you start smoking today :shrug: 

14 hours ago, Doug B said:

In Ohio ... do you guys have small, local independent pharmacies? And if so, are they giving vaccines?

Around here in the New Orleans area, the big national pharmacies get booked up, but there are dozens of small places that have availability.

EDIT: Forgot to add, the small places require phone calls. No online sign-up.

Bumping for the workday crowd. Also comparing notes with those who have posted today about having to go through national pharmacy-chain websites to sign up.