What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

walgreens.com   >  schedule vaccine >  schedule new appoinment > Let’s check COVID-19 vaccine availability in your area >  YOU type in concord nc 

You have to create an account with Walgreens to schedule the appointment.  You do this on their website online, which is where I am seeing this information.
I did the exact steps (it says available) but when I go to schedule, it gives me that error.

Before the first shot, I was advised to try my best to avoid anti-inflammatories at least for that first day or so after the vaccination. To an extent, you want your immune-reaction symptoms (if you get them) to run free for a while.

That said, I don't think this advice was absolute -- if someone came down with a migraine after their vaccination, I'm sure their going to take something. And IIRC ( @Terminalxylem? @gianmarco?) it's not that taking an anti-inflammatory voids out the vaccination ... it's that it delays the immune reaction so you don't get your max level of antibodies built up as quickly.

It’s controversial, as summarized in this review. Personally, I wouldn’t worry about it much, though I’d favor Tylenol over NSAIDS like ibuprofen for fever or pain, if necessary.

The answer to the question of whether antipyretic analgesics have a clinically significant impact on vaccine response has significant public health implications. Although generating a great deal of interest in the topic, the 2009 Prymula study did not answer the question because the acetaminophen-associated antibody blunting that was observed following vaccination still resulted in protective antibody levels. Additionally their follow up study showed a robust antibody response following booster vaccine doses. The studies included in our review reported no significant blunting of the immune response in papers published prior to the 2009 Prymula study, but since that report there have been several studies that have suggested immune blunting. One study showed lower response to a novel influenza strain following vaccination; however the difference was not statistically significant.26 Thus, at this time, there is no clear answer as to whether antipyretic analgesic administration blunts the immune response to a degree that could result in vaccine failure.

The timing of administration of antipyretic analgesics appears to be paramount. In all studies that reported a negative effect on antibody response, the medications were given prophylactically. Interestingly, this effect was not seen when acetaminophen was given only four hours after immunization.6 Additionally, all reported decreases in antibody response occurred only with novel antigen vaccination, with little to no impact observed following booster immunizations. These findings underscore the notion that relationship between antigen exposure and the timing of the medication dosage plays a vital role in modifying the immune response, and this set of observations can direct the focus of future research to explore the underlying mechanism.

The array of vaccine antigens in use today has evolved over the last several decades, and this evolution continues as new vaccines are being developed, and as new technologies and advanced manufacturing techniques become available. Modern vaccines employ more purified proteins as well as novel adjuvant formulations,77 and many older vaccines are being mixed into single dose combination vaccines. However, the increased availability of vaccines means that simultaneous multiple vaccines may be given during the same visit. Do any of these factors come into play to shape the immune response when antipyretics are given? Further work will be needed to elucidate the effects of these changes on vaccine response.

Another intriguing and unanswered question is whether antipyretics exert a negative effect by suppressing a beneficial increase in temperature that could augment vaccine responses. A recent review by Evans et al. illustrated how thermal stress stimulates and augments the innate and adaptive immune responses.78 Given the mixed antipyretic and anti-inflammatory effects of clinically available NSAIDs and other analgesics, studies to examine this question may be difficult to perform in humans, and animal studies using novel compounds and/or in vitro studies may be needed. However, one limitation of in vitro studies is that they may artificially simplify the immune response

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the exact steps (it says available) but when I go to schedule, it gives me that error.
That's weird. They must be having web issues. My neighbor, BIL, and brother all made vaccine appointments via Walgreens. I got my first vaccine from them two days ago. 

Bumping for the workday crowd. Also comparing notes with those who have posted today about having to go through national pharmacy-chain websites to sign up.
In my city (Greensboro), the ones I can think of that are giving vaccines are Walgreens, CVS, Greensboro Coliseum, High Point University, FEMA has a big drive through in the parking lot of Four Seasons mall, and they are also doing indoor vaccines at the mall, Mt. Zion Baptist Church (biggest black church in the city), and NC A&T (HBCU) home of the Aggies. 

This whole thing is so frustrating.   Each pharmacy has a different time that they release appointments, and you need to already be signed up with each place since they go so fast.  CVS goes at 6am and is first come first serve, Walgreens at midnight but they at least hold your spot for 10 minutes or so as you fill in the forms, Walmart at midnight (but a little whisper told me if you set your computer time to eastern then you can get in at 11). Luckily my sister is in a volunteer group that is helping seniors and non tech friendly people get signed up so she has figured out all the tricks.  They found a local pharmacy and have set up like 200 appointments in the last few days, she then found out that another pharmacy in Chicago had set aside 150 spots just for her group to fill up.  In like 9 hours myself and wife went fron banging our heads on the table trying to get through to having appointments for both of us.

In my city (Greensboro), the ones I can think of that are giving vaccines are Walgreens, CVS, Greensboro Coliseum, High Point University, FEMA has a big drive through in the parking lot of Four Seasons mall, and they are also doing indoor vaccines at the mall, Mt. Zion Baptist Church (biggest black church in the city), and NC A&T (HBCU) home of the Aggies. 
It seems some states are leaning more on mass vaccination sites, and others (like Louisiana) are going with a wider network of smaller sites. 

That's weird. They must be having web issues. My neighbor, BIL, and brother all made vaccine appointments via Walgreens. I got my first vaccine from them two days ago. 
Ugh, I think since it opened up today to a wider group they are having issues. I get the available green pop up but when I get to the end to actually schedule, it fails.

This whole thing is so frustrating.   Each pharmacy has a different time that they release appointments, and you need to already be signed up with each place since they go so fast.  CVS goes at 6am and is first come first serve, Walgreens at midnight but they at least hold your spot for 10 minutes or so as you fill in the forms, Walmart at midnight (but a little whisper told me if you set your computer time to eastern then you can get in at 11). Luckily my sister is in a volunteer group that is helping seniors and non tech friendly people get signed up so she has figured out all the tricks.  They found a local pharmacy and have set up like 200 appointments in the last few days, she then found out that another pharmacy in Chicago had set aside 150 spots just for her group to fill up.  In like 9 hours myself and wife went fron banging our heads on the table trying to get through to having appointments for both of us.
That's just so logistically crazy.

On the plus side, if you are willing to drive to Bloomington or Springfield, they have vaccination slots open all day tomorrow, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.   Like literally almost all day.  Practically every slot is unfilled at this point.  30-40 time slots per day.

Washington State distribution system sucks.   Plenty of appointments available.  Just not enough people eligible to get vaccinated.

No, not yet.  60-90 more days and we'll be in a different world though.
And yet...our church posted a letter from the Bishop...the dispensation for attending in person mass will end on March 28th.  With it being up to each parish to determine their capacity policy and mask policy.  Will be interesting to see what comes from our church on that matter in the coming days.

sho nuff said:
And yet...our church posted a letter from the Bishop...the dispensation for attending in person mass will end on March 28th.  With it being up to each parish to determine their capacity policy and mask policy.  Will be interesting to see what comes from our church on that matter in the coming days.
My MIL just said she was going to church on easter. She is vaccinated but my wife flipped on her. Just wait a few months for riskier stuff people!

If she's fully vaccinated what's the risk?
Well this will be a gathering of like 15-20 people. Maybe half vaccinated. Including younger kids who are in school and older college kids who are going to bars, as well as the other adults who never took the virus seriously. One family just back from florida. Just feel like against cdc and a little early. Could be exposed and then transmit to one of my kids?

Well this will be a gathering of like 15-20 people. Maybe half vaccinated. Including younger kids who are in school and older college kids who are going to bars, as well as the other adults who never took the virus seriously. One family just back from florida. Just feel like against cdc and a little early. Could be exposed and then transmit to one of my kids?
But she's fully vaccinated 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

It's not against cdc guidelines at all

I posted in the will you get a vaccine thread that I'm set to get my vaccine next Saturday. I've never been so happy to book something online as I was today when I was able to book that vaccination.  It's been a long year. So many people around me got covid. Some of them didn't make it through. I can't help but feel like the light is at the end of the tunnel.   :thumbup:

I think we’re approaching a crossroads for vaccinations. There’s still no shortage of people trying to get their shot but it won’t be long until it’s going to be a fight to find people in a lot of areas. We’re finishing up the people who are easy to sell and now have to fight though people’s hesitancies.

I wasn’t as worried about it until this recent week. The county was trying to target food worker - employees in grocery stores without pharmacies, warehouses, etc and it was a complete failure. We don’t know if it was a communication problem or maybe maybe a travel issue but definitely a resistance that I wasn’t expected. Of the handful of people who did signup, we heard from two different grocery stores that had store managers die from COVID and the employees still don’t want the vaccine. Maybe I’m spoiled being in a good area but we’re around 70-80%. But it makes me concerned about how quickly demands may drop off. 

Yes it is. There will be unvaccinated people from 4 other households there. Indoors. No masks. 
If she visits your kids 

You can gather indoors with unvaccinated people from one other household (for example, visiting with relatives who all live together) without masks, unless any of those people or anyone they live with has an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.

I think we’re approaching a crossroads for vaccinations. There’s still no shortage of people trying to get their shot but it won’t be long until it’s going to be a fight to find people in a lot of areas. We’re finishing up the people who are easy to sell and now have to fight though people’s hesitancies.

I wasn’t as worried about it until this recent week. The county was trying to target food worker - employees in grocery stores without pharmacies, warehouses, etc and it was a complete failure. We don’t know if it was a communication problem or maybe maybe a travel issue but definitely a resistance that I wasn’t expected. Of the handful of people who did signup, we heard from two different grocery stores that had store managers die from COVID and the employees still don’t want the vaccine. Maybe I’m spoiled being in a good area but we’re around 70-80%. But it makes me concerned about how quickly demands may drop off. 
Is the concern we won’t reach herd immunity?  I agree it’s bad news in general.

Or tell people if they get vaccinated they don't need masks. See how quickly all the skeptics sign up.
While I get your point - they aren’t listening about needing to get vaccinated, why would they start listening to that?  I have no doubt that most people who won’t get vaccinated will definitely not wear masks if not required.

If she visits your kids 

You can gather indoors with unvaccinated people from one other household (for example, visiting with relatives who all live together) without masks, unless any of those people or anyone they live with has an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
One is this 

Four is not 

For now, if you’ve been fully vaccinated:

You should still take steps to protect yourself and others in many situations, like wearing a mask, staying at least 6 feet apart from others, and avoiding crowds and poorly ventilated spaces. Take these precautions whenever you are:

In public

Gathering with unvaccinated people from more than one other household

Visiting with an unvaccinated person who is at increased risk of severe illness or death from COVID-19 or who lives with a person at increased risk

You should still avoid medium or large-sized gatherings.

I am currently eligible to receive the Pfizer shot in the state I live in and the Moderna vaccine in the state I work in. 

I am mulling over whether or not to pass on those appointments and just do a one and done J&J when it is more readily available.

My reasoning is that I am able to 100% wfh and rarely have any contact with the public. I feel like there are others who need it more right now.

Yes, that's the concern.  If vaccine hesitancy dries up the number of willing participants, the vaccination rates will be below herd immunity levels in certain geografic areas or communities.  The virus will continue to cause excessive death and long term effects in those communities.  This is especially bad if those communities also suffer from systemic racism, xenophobia, etc. as health outcomes are already poorer there than in communities with more advantage. 

I sure hope there's no questions about citizenship or needing to show ID in order to get a vaccine. 

Ok so you think fully vaccinated person will goto church where everyone wears masks and then bring home to kids who barely get sick from covid. There is 0 risk

It's time to stop living life scared if fully vaccinated 
There is not 0 risk.

It's low, but it's not negligible. 

Covid is still very prevalent.  It's out there everywhere.  Vaccines help prevent catching it, but it's not 100%.  So for every 100 people that follow your advice, a handful will likely still get Covid despite being vaccinated. 

When we have enough people vaccinated AND the amount of disease circulating in the community gets low enough, THAT'S when we will be safe to go maskless.  We are getting there, but we aren't there yet. 

I know you have downplayed the risks of this all along and have decided to forego advice knowing it could have bad outcomes.  You rolled the dice and won and I'm glad it turned out that way for you.  It hasn't turned out that way for everyone.

Much like seatbelts, the chances of you dying if you don't wear it today are low.  But, as an aggregate, if you regularly don't wear one and a large number of people don't regularly wear one, eventually there's going to be a catastrophic result.  The inconvenience of wearing a seatbelt (i.e. a mask) just isn't worth that at this point, especially when the finish line is in sight.  Or, gathering in places that are potentially unsafe.

That's not living life scared.  That's living life with responsibility for oneself and others around them (family, community, etc.).

There is not 0 risk.

It's low, but it's not negligible. 

Covid is still very prevalent.  It's out there everywhere.  Vaccines help prevent catching it, but it's not 100%.  So for every 100 people that follow your advice, a handful will likely still get Covid despite being vaccinated. 

When we have enough people vaccinated AND the amount of disease circulating in the community gets low enough, THAT'S when we will be safe to go maskless.  We are getting there, but we aren't there yet. 

I know you have downplayed the risks of this all along and have decided to forego advice knowing it could have bad outcomes.  You rolled the dice and won and I'm glad it turned out that way for you.  It hasn't turned out that way for everyone.

Much like seatbelts, the chances of you dying if you don't wear it today are low.  But, as an aggregate, if you regularly don't wear one and a large number of people don't regularly wear one, eventually there's going to be a catastrophic result.  The inconvenience of wearing a seatbelt (i.e. a mask) just isn't worth that at this point, especially when the finish line is in sight.  Or, gathering in places that are potentially unsafe.

That's not living life scared.  That's living life with responsibility for oneself and others around them (family, community, etc.).
Whos saying she shouldn't wear a mask?

Whos saying she shouldn't wear a mask?
It's not about her wearing a mask.  It's about the others.  Without knowing the details of the venue/gathering, the impression from LJ's post is that those in attendance have not taken it seriously and likely won't be wearing masks and are at higher risk of having the virus (college kids, going to bars). 

Fully vaccinated person going to church with a mask and then visiting grandkids. If people are still scared of that because of non zero risk then I got news for you be prepared to be scared the rest of your life because that risk will never be 0 especially with the variants that are prevelant now.

Fully vaccinated person going to church with a mask and then visiting grandkids. If people are still scared of that because of non zero risk then I got news for you be prepared to be scared the rest of your life because that risk will never be 0 especially with the variants that are prevelant now.
Sigh.

Most people aren't making these decisions out of fear.  They aren't "scared" of a non zero risk.  It's being responsible with current data and recommendations.  Things will be back to "normal" soon enough.  Decisions that you're currently advocating will, as a whole (not just you as an individual), delay as getting there and cause more people to unnecessarily get sick.

But go ahead and live "not scared".  You are free to do so, obviously.  It would just be nice if you didn't chastise those who choose to be responsible by describing them as you have.

Sigh.

Most people aren't making these decisions out of fear.  They aren't "scared" of a non zero risk.  It's being responsible with current data and recommendations.  Things will be back to "normal" soon enough.  Decisions that you're currently advocating will, as a whole (not just you as an individual), delay as getting there and cause more people to unnecessarily get sick.

But go ahead and live "not scared".  You are free to do so, obviously.  It would just be nice if you didn't chastise those who choose to be responsible by describing them as you have.
Some are

Or tell people if they get vaccinated they don't need masks. See how quickly all the skeptics sign up.
In a perfect world, yes, but reality is that if you tell people that you don’t have to wear a mask after vaccination, the skeptics will just lie about getting vaccinated. No retailer is going to check your vaccination card at the door and those can easily be forged.

Peer pressure is another story. If people start having group functions but only with those who are vaccinated, that may change some skeptic minds.

In a perfect world, yes, but reality is that if you tell people that you don’t have to wear a mask after vaccination, the skeptics will just lie about getting vaccinated. No retailer is going to check your vaccination card at the door and those can easily be forged.

Peer pressure is another story. If people start having group functions but only with those who are vaccinated, that may change some skeptic minds.
I agree with you there. It would be tough to police. Maybe now is not the time to say if you're vaccinated, no need to mask up buy I think the time should be sooner (when the vaccine is made available to everyone) then later (we reach herd immunity).

Yes and possibly far from it. Let’s say herd immunity is at 70%. People 65+ are probably going to be end up being around 80-85%, you’re gonna need the rest of the population vaccinated at around 60% and that is going to be tough in a lot of areas.

Variant mutations are the biggest concerns. Like an antibiotic resistant bacteria, if the virus can mutate to evade the vaccines, we’re screwed.

The concerning thing is that it seems like many of these workers have been exposed the tragic effects (store manger death) and cash incentives to get the shot and still refuse. Maybe we need to go on-site and do the clinic to further eliminate the hurdles. 

I am currently eligible to receive the Pfizer shot in the state I live in and the Moderna vaccine in the state I work in. 

I am mulling over whether or not to pass on those appointments and just do a one and done J&J when it is more readily available.

My reasoning is that I am able to 100% wfh and rarely have any contact with the public. I feel like there are others who need it more right now.
Get it when you can to protect those that need it more that can't get it yet.

Maybe we need to go on-site and do the clinic to further eliminate the hurdles. 
This is definitely needed, on a few fronts. If the U.S. can get north of 75% vaccinated ... that last 15-20% is going to have to be by brute-force outreach. Taking the vaccine to the people. Perhaps even to the point of going door-to-door.

I agree with you there. It would be tough to police. Maybe now is not the time to say if you're vaccinated, no need to mask up buy I think the time should be sooner (when the vaccine is made available to everyone) then later (we reach herd immunity).
The next couple months will determine when it happens. If we can continue the current pace, mid-summer is possible but that’s going to be tough to do. We need to keep this aggressive push going to get past the skepticism.

A fall ‘return to normalcy’ is more realistic with mass children vaccinations coming before they start school up and put the final nail in the COVID coffin. I don’t know the timelines for getting that approved are but it’s likely going to be needed.

The next couple months will determine when it happens. If we can continue the current pace, mid-summer is possible but that’s going to be tough to do. We need to keep this aggressive push going to get past the skepticism.

A fall ‘return to normalcy’ is more realistic with mass children vaccinations coming before they start school up and put the final nail in the COVID coffin. I don’t know the timelines for getting that approved are but it’s likely going to be needed.
If we can't reach 70% of adults, I can't imagine we get anywhere close to 50% of children vaccinated. I know we won't be vaccinating our son. I'm not anti-vax by any means but covid is so low risk to children i refuse take the risk with the vaccine. Maybe a few years down the road.

This is definitely needed, on a few fronts. If the U.S. can get north of 75% vaccinated ... that last 15-20% is going to have to be by brute-force outreach. Taking the vaccine to the people. Perhaps even to the point of going door-to-door.
Yeah it’s something that I’ve been looking into. My company is taking the unused vaccines from the failed essential workers clinic and opening PODs in stores that have closed but they still own. Many are in underserved areas. I don’t know all the details but I think it’s a great start. But we’re gonna need to get creative.

If we can't reach 70% of adults, I can't imagine we get anywhere close to 50% of children vaccinated. I know we won't be vaccinating our son. I'm not anti-vax by any means but covid is so low risk to children i refuse take the risk with the vaccine. Maybe a few years down the road.
If you tell parents that their kid needs to be vaccinated to go in-person, it will happen. Heck, let’s make the parents get vaccinated before allowing their kids into school.

Users who are viewing this thread