Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

5 minutes ago, jobarules said:

If we can't reach 70% of adults, I can't imagine we get anywhere close to 50% of children vaccinated. I know we won't be vaccinating our son. I'm not anti-vax by any means but COVID is so low risk to children I refuse take the risk with the vaccine. Maybe a few years down the road.

Make it a requirement to attend most schools -- akin to the existing battery of vaccinations already required -- and that will change.

Around here, if your child doesn't have the typical childhood vaccinations and you refuse to have your child vaccinated, your choice of schooling is limited. And only a handful of private schools (and none of the sought-after ones) will allow un-vaccinated kids to attend. Home schooling is also an option.

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Biff84 said:

If you tell parents that their kid needs to be vaccinated to go in-person, it will happen. Heck, let’s make the parents get vaccinated before allowing their kids into school.

I disagree. I think there will be huge protests if they force kids to get vaccinated before returning to in person school.

11 hours ago, jobarules said:

Ok so you think fully vaccinated person will goto church where everyone wears masks and then bring home to kids who barely get sick from covid. There is 0 risk

It's time to stop living life scared if fully vaccinated 

It's not 0, but it is more or less like the flu after you've been vaccinated.  And if everyone's wearing a mask you're basically protected from even that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doug B said:

Make it a requirement to attend most schools -- akin to the existing battery of vaccinations already required -- and that will change.

Around here, if your child doesn't have the typical childhood vaccinations and you refuse to have your child vaccinated, your choice of schooling is limited. And only a handful of private schools (and none of the sought-after ones) will allow un-vaccinated kids to attend. Home schooling is also an option.

Those vaccines have been around for years. You will see TONS of protests if people are forced to vaccinate their children with these new vaccines.

Just now, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

It's not 0, but it is more or less like the flu after you've been vaccinated.  And if everyone's wearing a mask you're basically protected from even that. 

There's 0 risk of serious covid. Isn't that the point?

1 minute ago, jobarules said:

There's not zero risk.  Risk of death is close to zero.  Hospitalization only slightly higher.  But you can still get and spread COVID after vaccinations.  It's just a lot less likely and a lot less severe (for you) if you do.

4 minutes ago, jobarules said:

I missed "serious" there -- so we agree.  Sorry about that.

I'm planning to return to normal life in three weeks or so after my 2nd poke, but will likely still mask up for the time being.

Just now, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I missed "serious" there -- so we agree.  Sorry about that.

I'm planning to return to normal life in three weeks or so after my 2nd poke, but will likely still mask up for the time being.

Me too. I will only wear masks when forced to but will go about life as normal again. I cant wait. 

20 minutes ago, jobarules said:

I disagree. I think there will be huge protests if they force kids to get vaccinated before returning to in person school.

They may fight but if they’re given the choice of vaccination or digital learning, which do you think they will choose? Maybe not Fall 2021 but Spring 2022 is very realistic. Also if you tell parents that their children won’t be subject to the same strict close contact quarantine if they get vaccinated, they will do it.

27 minutes ago, jobarules said:
29 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

If you tell parents that their kid needs to be vaccinated to go in-person, it will happen. Heck, let’s make the parents get vaccinated before allowing their kids into school.

You did say "a few years down the road". I don't expect schools to make COVID vaccination mandatory starting this coming school year (2021-22), but I do expect such a rule in place by 2022-23 or 2023-24 at the latest.

Would you expect there still to be protests about this in, say, summer 2022?

1 minute ago, Doug B said:

You did say "a few years down the road". I don't expect schools to make COVID vaccination mandatory starting this coming school year (2021-22), but I do expect such a rule in place by 2022-23 or 2023-24 at the latest.

Ok I misunderstood. 

32 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Those vaccines have been around for years. You will see TONS of protests if people are forced to vaccinate their children with these new vaccines.

I don't agree that the resistance is that pervasive. Still ... a motivated 10% can look like big numbers with the right coverage.

1 minute ago, jobarules said:
3 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Ok I misunderstood. 

Given this exchange ... I am assuming you can countenance a tipping point where to you and your familiars, the vaccine for children will go from "not safe ... not safe yet ... still not safe" to "OK -- now it's safe enough".

Assuming you can see such a point in the future, what would be the deciding factors for you? In the 2021-2022 school year -- let's say early October 2021 -- if a voluntary COVID vaccination came to your kids' school, it sounds like you're not going to give permission.

Fast forward to March 2022. They're doing a second voluntary drive at the school. Can you envision some feasible conditions that would have changed your mind from today or from October 2021?

14 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

Also if you tell parents that their children won’t be subject to the same strict close contact quarantine if they get vaccinated, they will do it.

That could be a winning point for a lot of people. In-person school with masking, distancing, plastic barriers, contact tracing, pop-up teacher outages, other protocols, etc. ... it's just a miserable experience for the kids down here.

9 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Given this exchange ... I am assuming you can countenance a tipping point where to you and your familiars, the vaccine for children will go from "not safe ... not safe yet ... still not safe" to "OK -- now it's safe enough".

Assuming you can see such a point in the future, what would be the deciding factors for you? In the 2021-2022 school year -- let's say early October 2021 -- if a voluntary COVID vaccination came to your kids' school, it sounds like you're not going to give permission.

Fast forward to March 2022. They're doing a second voluntary drive at the school. Can you envision some feasible conditions that would have changed your mind from today or from October 2021?

I just need time

I dont really know how much time. Perhaps by Sept 2022 I'd be comfortable. 

My kids are back full time. WV Board of Ed overruled all of the school districts in January and all of the kids went back full time. 
It will be a tough sell to say that kids can’t return on the fall without a vaccination when the Governor has deemed it safe to return now.

3 hours ago, jobarules said:

I agree with you there. It would be tough to police. Maybe now is not the time to say if you're vaccinated, no need to mask up buy I think the time should be sooner (when the vaccine is made available to everyone) then later (we reach herd immunity).

Yea, I think we need rules for lowest common denominator right now. There are probably more things the vaccine should allow right now, but we need to get the baseline down. Reading between the lines, the vaccine probably does a lot better job against transmission than initially thought. But we dont want people getting complacent yet. I think by May we will have new guidelines. Certainly by July when everyone who wants one should have it - then maybe all bets are off. 

A colleague of mine’s brother went away for his birthday. His mother, in her late 70s, watched the kids. While away, the school shutdown for covid. The mom goes home after the brother returns from his trip. She is positive and she spread it to her husband.  Just happened, so not sure if they will be ok. The dad is a retired doctor, who “doesn’t like the vaccine” so they didn’t get the shot ....

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Biff84 said:

Yes and possibly far from it. Let’s say herd immunity is at 70%. People 65+ are probably going to be end up being around 80-85%, you’re gonna need the rest of the population vaccinated at around 60% and that is going to be tough in a lot of areas. 

And though the math here is right, I'm not even convinced that will really work. I think to truly have herd immunity, we need to have 70% of the truly active population immune. I mean, if you need 70% total for herd immunity but 15% are people stuck in nursing homes/at home due to age and/or illness, is that 15% really helping from a herd immunity standpoint? Perhaps that is all taken in to account by those promoting 70%, I don't know.

3 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

I’m not afraid of vaccines

Congrats? I say people are scared of covid and people get all defensive. I never said anything was wrong with that. I chose to not be scared. It's always in the back of my mind but I live my life, try and be responsible, and hope I don't get it. Now that I am almost fully vaccinated, I will be relieved and not think about it at all. But yet I'm scared to give my child the vaccine in 2021. Maybe 2022.

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2021 at 12:04 PM, simey said:

That's weird. They must be having web issues. My neighbor, BIL, and brother all made vaccine appointments via Walgreens. I got my first vaccine from them two days ago. 

Just happened to be checking tonight and got appointments right down the road for my wife and me on Wednesday and 28 days later (must be Moderna). Definitely makes me feel better. Heading down to Florida (driving) for kids spring break and renting a condo on the beach. We’ll still be careful as we won’t be 2 weeks until after the first few days. Moderna has an 80% effectiveness after the first dose but I’m not chancing anything even with no mask policy in FL.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Just happened to be checking tonight and got appointments right down the road for my wife and me on Wednesday and 28 days later (must be Moderna). Definitely makes me feel better. Heading down to Florida (driving) for kids spring break and renting a condo on the beach. We’ll still be careful as we won’t be 2 weeks until after the first few days. Moderna has an 80% effectiveness after the first dose but I’m not chancing anything even with no mask policy in FL.

So are we gonna do the draft this year?

This thing is almost at an end, in terms of its status as a pandemic. 

Once the at risk are all vaccinated, covid will no longer be anywhere near the threat that it has been.  A high number of cases in summer of 2021 won’t mean what it meant in 2020, because most of the ones at risk of dying will have vaccines. 

Hospitalizations and deaths are way down and won’t be coming back, because their primary at-risk group is rapidly getting vaccinated.

Things are bright and covid is almost over. Stay positive, wear your masks, and stay cautious for a few more months.  

Edited by shader
  • Like 6

My 28 year old daughter was able to schedule a vaccination at a mass vaccination center tomorrow. I'm still scheduled to get mine next Saturday. My wife almost screwed that up as she started feeling like crap today. Sore throat, congestion. She went and got a rapid test to be safe. She came back negative. I told her if she got covid and messed up my vaccination for next weekend I was going to be mad at her. :D

So far my father is completely vaccinated. All three of my older sisters have been vaccinated. And one of my brothers is getting his first jab this week. :thumbup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, belljr said:

My state is rising again :unsure:

Ditto for MN over the last two weeks. Really thought we had this thing licked, that it'd be all downhill as we head to summer, and a memory going into fall. Still do, but not as confident now. 

2 minutes ago, FBG26 said:

Ditto for MN over the last two weeks. Really thought we had this thing licked, that it'd be all downhill as we head to summer, and a memory going into fall. Still do, but not as confident now. 

Looking at Europe, this shouldn't be a surprise. Especially when people become more reckless overall with increasing vaccinations. We aren't out of the woods yet.

11 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Looking at Europe, this shouldn't be a surprise. Especially when people become more reckless overall with increasing vaccinations. We aren't out of the woods yet.

Nope. The best we can hope for is for low level community spread and high vaccination compliance, particularly with those most at risk of severe illness.   Hopefully that will result in adequate hospital capacity and low levels of impact on health outcomes. There will be more deaths and more people suffering though.  Don't let up the pressure now. 

1 hour ago, The Z Machine said:

And which is that? Baltimore city has crept up from a low about 2 weeks ago.  Daily case count and higher positivity.

I told my kids they could hang (masked) with their friends again if cases in our area dropped below 300/100k per day.  Went from 1200/day at the end of January to 318/day a week ago. 

Then immediately reversed itself to 400+ again.  So we're up around 30% in a freaking week even as more and more people are vaccinated.

My wife has done some work on polio eradication campaigns and knew some of the old timers that did smallpox eradication back in the day.  It's a herculean effort to get rid of a virus, and it's only been done once, ever.  This virus will be with us forever.  Let's just hope that the protection from a vaccine is long lasting otherwise we'll have to be very vigilent with getting boosters for those 60+.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Arizona just opened vaccines up to all 16+ starting Wednesday. :headbang:

This is especially good because pretty much everything our state and a lot of the people who live here have done so far has been epically stupid. 

16 hours ago, FBG26 said:

Minnesota reports zero new COVID-19 deaths for first time since last April: Minnesota for the first time since April 13 reported zero deaths in its daily situation update for COVID-19. The number comes with caveats, including that daily COVID-19 reports have always been lower on Mondays, and reflect when investigations are complete rather than when deaths actually occur. Nonetheless, it is a sign of hope after a full year of the pandemic in Minnesota.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Minnesota reports zero new COVID-19 deaths for first time since last April: Minnesota for the first time since April 13 reported zero deaths in its daily situation update for COVID-19. The number comes with caveats, including that daily COVID-19 reports have always been lower on Mondays, and reflect when investigations are complete rather than when deaths actually occur. Nonetheless, it is a sign of hope after a full year of the pandemic in Minnesota.

That's absolutely a good sign here, with the typical caveat that deaths obviously lag cases. If we can make it through Easter without a huge uptick in cases then I think we'll be in good shape. Won't be too long before we can start doing a lot more activities outside and mitigating some of the risky activities (social gatherings, eating out, etc) people currently do indoors. As one example, our church is talking about doing outdoor services again all summer just because we can. Combine better weather with the most susceptible portions of the population being immunized already and I remain cautiously optimistic. 

2 minutes ago, jobarules said:

But it sounds like instead of on the 5 yard line we just took a 15 yard penalty.

No one was taking the variants seriously, it was "scare tactics", without getting political.