What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (9 Viewers)

If the variants were going to evade the vaccines in large numbers, it's likely that we'd be seeing a high rate of reinfection now in the people who got COVID last year.  But we're not seeing that, so odds are good that "original" COVID antibodies are effective against the variants.  And that,  by extension, the vaccine is too.

Additionally, the rate of death from COVID among people who've had the vaccine is effectively zero.  Which probably wouldn't be the case if the vaccines were ineffective and the variants were evading it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I was not suggesting the variants would make the vaccine useless, the new variants are more contagious so I think they are spreading quicker and that's why the numbers are moving.   I fully admit my understanding could be wrong

IIRC the vaccines work by attacking the spike protein which is a defining characteristic of the virus, including all of the variants. 

If the variants were going to evade the vaccines in large numbers, it's likely that we'd be seeing a high rate of reinfection now in the people who got COVID last year.  But we're not seeing that, so odds are good that "original" COVID antibodies are effective against the variants.  And that,  by extension, the vaccine is too.

Additionally, the rate of death from COVID among people who've had the vaccine is effectively zero.  Which probably wouldn't be the case if the vaccines were ineffective and the variants were evading it.
Then what is this guy talking about?

https://nypost.com/2021/03/21/new-yorks-covid-variant-may-infect-vaccinated-residents/

That's absolutely a good sign here, with the typical caveat that deaths obviously lag cases. If we can make it through Easter without a huge uptick in cases then I think we'll be in good shape. Won't be too long before we can start doing a lot more activities outside and mitigating some of the risky activities (social gatherings, eating out, etc) people currently do indoors. As one example, our church is talking about doing outdoor services again all summer just because we can. Combine better weather with the most susceptible portions of the population being immunized already and I remain cautiously optimistic. 
To be honest, The caveat meant nothing to me. Obviously the caveats have always been in play. 

That clearly won't happen, which is why AZ is already opening up to 16+
Yeah, Arizona is about middle of the pack for states in percentage of people who have received at least one shot and percentage of people fully vaccinated. If they are already opening up to everyone 16+, that seems like a sign that a pretty high percentage of people aren’t signing up to get vaccinated. Important thing now is to figure out if it’s because they really don’t want the vaccine or if something else is in play.

Yeah, Arizona is about middle of the pack for states in percentage of people who have received at least one shot and percentage of people fully vaccinated. If they are already opening up to everyone 16+, that seems like a sign that a pretty high percentage of people aren’t signing up to get vaccinated. Important thing now is to figure out if it’s because they really don’t want the vaccine or if something else is in play.
Ran into some former neighbors and their elderly (grand)parents today while out walking in the 'hood.   The grandparents are awesome people who live in South Dakota.  Both had COVID back in the fall.   And both told me today that they aren't getting a vaccine because "what's the point, we've already had it and it wasn't that big of a deal."  The husband was in bed for 10 days and his oxygen dropped into the high 80s.....but since he made it through and is healthy now, he doesn't see why it would be dangerous to get a 2nd time.

Ugh.

GroveDiesel said:
It was a decent surprise since they went from 55+ to 16+ but I expected it soon. It’s the way to delaying appointments from going unused. We had four doses that had to be used tonight before they expired and we just barely found people even after making announcements in the store.

It was a decent surprise since they went from 55+ to 16+ but I expected it soon. It’s the way to delaying appointments from going unused. We had four doses that had to be used tonight before they expired and we just barely found people even after making announcements in the store.
It also means a lot of people in the 16-55 age range were finding ways to qualify before they dropped the age requirement. 

Alex P Keaton said:
Ran into some former neighbors and their elderly (grand)parents today while out walking in the 'hood.   The grandparents are awesome people who live in South Dakota.  Both had COVID back in the fall.   And both told me today that they aren't getting a vaccine because "what's the point, we've already had it and it wasn't that big of a deal."  The husband was in bed for 10 days and his oxygen dropped into the high 80s.....but since he made it through and is healthy now, he doesn't see why it would be dangerous to get a 2nd time.

Ugh.
This virus, masks, and vaccines somehow being politicized is the most dangerous thing that’s happened in a long time. Did we have these issues to this degree for the spanish flu, small pox, or polio???

Alex P Keaton said:

Ugh.

Why is that bad, they should let other people get vaccinated now and should get vaccinated closer to the fall again. People who have had the virus SHOULD be turning down the vaccine unless they had it in March of last year.

The goal is to help as many people as possible right now and the people who have already had Covid do not need the vaccine.

This virus, masks, and vaccines somehow being politicized is the most dangerous thing that’s happened in a long time. Did we have these issues to this degree for the spanish flu, small pox, or polio???
Here is an interesting article about 1918 and many of the recommendations. 

One other thing i read that was very different back then was the way communities were mobilized to help. I mean the boy scouts were enlisted and actually went door to door in some cities to help identify the sick so that treatment could come to them rather than have people congregate at hospitals because they realized quickly that this would lead to more spread and it helped to protect doctors and nurses. 

Alex P Keaton said:

Ugh.
I see nothing wrong with grandpa's take here. If he really already had it, there is zero reason for him to get the vaccine. 

This pandemic has been so prominent in everyone's lives for so long now that accepted practices from the past 100 years are making people say 'ugh'.

I see nothing wrong with grandpa's take here. If he really already had it, there is zero reason for him to get the vaccine. 

This pandemic has been so prominent in everyone's lives for so long now that accepted practices from the past 100 years are making people say 'ugh'.
Isn't the evidence that natural immunity might only last 3-6 months?  Not sure what the evidence says about severity of re-infection or whether "long-hauler" becomes more or less likely.  Too many unknowns -- why not get the free and safe vaccine? 

The Texas Roadhouse founder/CEO literally killed himself because of his long-hauler symptoms apparently.  

Isn't the evidence that natural immunity might only last 3-6 months?  Not sure what the evidence says about severity of re-infection or whether "long-hauler" becomes more or less likely.  Too many unknowns -- why not get the free and safe vaccine? 

The Texas Roadhouse founder/CEO literally killed himself because of his long-hauler symptoms apparently.  

They know it lasts until 8 months, but it may be longer because as more time goes by we can study the initially infected group more.

There is no reason that someone who had Covid-19 in the fall should get a vaccine right now. They should wait until more people who have not had the virus have been vaccinated first.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/lasting-immunity-found-after-recovery-covid-19

The immune systems of more than 95% of people who recovered from COVID-19 had durable memories of the virus up to eight months after infection.

There is no reason that someone who had Covid-19 in the fall should get a vaccine right now. They should wait until more people who have not had the virus have been vaccinated first.
I agree with this.  Many of our responses have been based on a lack of certainty rather than the most likely outcome.  Every epidemiologist believes that the virus will confer fairly strong immunity for a significant period in the vast majority of people, yet out of an abundance of over caution, we have decided to use vaccines on previously infected people because we just can't be 100% sure.  It's the same with the vaccines preventing spread of the disease.  Everyone has believed it will do that but since there is no double blind scientific study published and peer-reviewed yet, they are asking vaccinated people to wear masks and socially distance.  

I get it, but they need to be more forthcoming.  Please don't treat us like children.  Most people will make wise decisions.

Let direct caregivers who have had COVID get the vaccine, but ask everyone else who has had it to wait until it is open for everyone.  

I don't really have an educated opinion on whether they should wait or not - I'll just say, the idea of waiting to sign-up is probably only a few more weeks in almost all states.  I'd be more concerned that he's going to not get it at all.

Doug B said:
Right. "Could happen" ... "may happen" ... etc.. Hedging language. In short -- the danger of variants is being sensationalized.
Now the CDC director is talking about another potential surge.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/22/cdc-covid-variants-are-taking-over-us-could-see-another-surge/
Straight from the first paragraph -- it's all conditional:

As COVID-19 variants are “a growing proportion” of cases across the US — and we could see “another avoidable surge” of the virus like Europe if mitigation efforts go out the window, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned Monday.
Talking about another potential surge based on the presence of variants isn't so bad as long as she's leaving it conditional and speaking to serve as a warning to the general public not to cast aside mitigation efforts too early. Which she seems to be doing:

“The continued relaxation of prevention measures while cases are still high, and while concerning variants are spreading rapidly throughout the United States, is a serious threat to the progress we have made as a nation,” Walensky said.

“I get it — we all want to return to our everyday activities and spend time with our family, friends, and loved ones,” Walensky said, “but we must find the fortitude to hang in there for just a little bit longer.”

The nation is “at a critical point in this pandemic,” the CDC head warned.

“We as a country must decide which path we are going to take.  We must act now,” Walensky said.

“I am worried that if we don’t take the right actions now, we will have another avoidable surge, just as we are seeing in Europe right now and just as we are so aggressively scaling up vaccination.”
Nothing is set is stone, and nothing is yet unavoidable. The eventual outcome is up to us as a nation and as a society.

I don't really have an educated opinion on whether they should wait or not - I'll just say, the idea of waiting to sign-up is probably only a few more weeks in almost all states.  I'd be more concerned that he's going to not get it at all.
There is a bit of a grey area here for an elderly man who had a meaningful case of Covid just 6 months ago.

The risk/reward should be left up to him. It has been documented that those with prior infections often have stronger side effects to the vaccine. And being elderly, it makes sense that those same side effects could be more dangerous for him than for a younger person. Not wanting to risk side effects for the unknown chance of reinfection is perfectly reasonable, imo.

There is a bit of a grey area here for an elderly man who had a meaningful case of Covid just 6 months ago.

The risk/reward should be left up to him. It has been documented that those with prior infections often have stronger side effects to the vaccine. And being elderly, it makes sense that those same side effects could be more dangerous for him than for a younger person. Not wanting to risk side effects for the unknown chance of reinfection is perfectly reasonable, imo.
I have no issues with people who don't want to get the vaccine - but I also have no issues with placing limitations on what people who are not vaccinated can do.

I have no issues with people who don't want to get the vaccine - but I also have no issues with placing limitations on what people who are not vaccinated can do.
Disagree 100%. This man should have no restrictions on what he can do. I can't fathom why people think they have a right to take away freedoms from others because there is a slight possibility that 100 years of accepted knowledge regarding immunity could be wrong.

This is what I was talking about when I said the past year has warped how we think about things. 

Disagree 100%. This man should have no restrictions on what he can do. I can't fathom why people think they have a right to take away freedoms from others because there is a slight possibility that 100 years of accepted knowledge regarding immunity could be wrong.

This is what I was talking about when I said the past year has warped how we think about things. 
We can agree to disagree but I have no issue if airlines or large events want to prevent non-vaccinated individuals from participating.  We take away people’s “freedoms” all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean the polling isn’t lying - there’s a lot of people who won’t get vaccinated.
I think a lot of people (including me) have assumed that some of the vaccine hesitancy was soft, and that people would change their minds when they see millions of other Americans getting vaccinated without issue.  Doesn't seem like that's happened yet.

We can agree to disagree but I have no issue if airlines or large events want to prevent non-vaccinated individuals from participating.  We take away people’s “freedoms” all the time.
Taking away 'freedoms' is quite a slippery slope. I think the burden of proof should be on those wishing to restrict others, not the other way around. And to date, there is no proof this man is a risk to anyone.

Taking away 'freedoms' is quite a slippery slope. I think the burden of proof should be on those wishing to restrict others, not the other way around. And to date, there is no proof this man is a risk to anyone.
I have no issue with that if experts say there’s no risk - right now they are saying to get vaccinated so they appear to be saying there is a risk to not doing so.  But I’m happy to wait for more details.

no smoking on flights, no weapons - not exactly the same but similar :shrug:

I think a lot of people (including me) have assumed that some of the vaccine hesitancy was soft, and that people would change their minds when they see millions of other Americans getting vaccinated without issue.  Doesn't seem like that's happened yet.
I had hoped that too and this hits close to home - my 72 year old mother won’t get vaccinated and her sister won’t (she’s ~70).  They’ve bought in to lies spread on social media.  

They know it lasts until 8 months, but it may be longer because as more time goes by we can study the initially infected group more.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/lasting-immunity-found-after-recovery-covid-19

The immune systems of more than 95% of people who recovered from COVID-19 had durable memories of the virus up to eight months after infection.
He’s not “waiting” — he’s never getting the vaccine.

I don't think we should be using positivity rates anymore to determine of cases are increasing. As more people are vaccinated, that means less asymptomatic people will need to be tested. The denominator will only decrease.

no smoking on flights, no weapons - not exactly the same but similar :shrug:
Getting on an airplane isn’t a right or taking away freedom. As a business, I’d worry about the liability from the crew or passengers so if I say I won’t take the risk of putting a non-vaccinated on my airplanes, I see no issue with that. There’s no place in the world you can’t get to by driving or on a boat.

It feels like a huge red flag to me that so many states are doing this.  
Not to me. All the top priorities have gone so why not just open it up. Walgreens doesn’t have unbooked appointments near me and I’m in the “South.” It’s not fully open in NC but I think it’s supposed to be soon. 

Not to me. All the top priorities have gone so why not just open it up. Walgreens doesn’t have unbooked appointments near me and I’m in the “South.” It’s not fully open in NC but I think it’s supposed to be soon. 
I guess it would require a deep dive into exactly what the different priority groups are in the various states.  I just know that in Maryland over 70% of the adult population supposedly falls into one of the priority groups.  If you've only given the first shot to 25% of the population, then there should be plenty of priority people still to be vaccinated before opening it to everyone.

Maybe Maryland is the weird one but I think we're going by the CDC guidance so it seems like most other states would be similar.

Exactly. People act like freedom means no laws or rules to follow.
No, it's not like that at all.

This man has a very good reason to believe the risks of getting the vaccine are simply not worth it for him personally.

Why do you have the right to force him to make a health choice that could be harmful to himself just because there is a slim possibility that his choice could affect you? I mean, we allow people to do lots of things that could affect others, because the risk is miniscule. Just allowing people to drive on the road alongside you is risky to you, technically.

What's next, banning people who refuse a flu shot from large gatherings? You could make the argument that a flu carrier presents as much risk to you as a Covid carrier (depending on your age). And flu shots have a long history of having fewer side effects, so there are fewer reasons to not get one. But we have never discussed banning people who neglect flu shots from events in the past.

Getting on an airplane isn’t a right or taking away freedom. As a business, I’d worry about the liability from the crew or passengers so if I say I won’t take the risk of putting a non-vaccinated on my airplanes, I see no issue with that. There’s no place in the world you can’t get to by driving or on a boat.
I don't think this is a good comparison. Smoking on a flight definitely affects others on the flight, there's no doubt. This man not getting a Covid vaccine is unlikely to ever affect anyone but himself.

No, it's not like that at all.

This man has a very good reason to believe the risks of getting the vaccine are simply not worth it for him personally.

Why do you have the right to force him to make a health choice that could be harmful to himself just because there is a slim possibility that his choice could affect you? I mean, we allow people to do lots of things that could affect others, because the risk is miniscule. Just allowing people to drive on the road alongside you is risky to you, technically.

What's next, banning people who refuse a flu shot from large gatherings? You could make the argument that a flu carrier presents as much risk to you as a Covid carrier (depending on your age). And flu shots have a long history of having fewer side effects, so there are fewer reasons to not get one. But we have never discussed banning people who neglect flu shots from events in the past.
I believe nurses and doctors are required to get flu shots in several hospitals and kids are required to be up to date on their vaccines to goto school. You act like this doesn't happen now.

I have no issue with that if experts say there’s no risk - right now they are saying to get vaccinated so they appear to be saying there is a risk to not doing so.  But I’m happy to wait for more details.
I think part of the reason there is a drive to vaccinate everyone, regardless of their infection history, is simply because it's much faster than determining who has been infected in the past.

I'll change my opinion if the facts change, agree.

Users who are viewing this thread