What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (22 Viewers)

So actually Grainger sells them online.  sweet.  Ordered a few.  Thanks!
I have had better luck getting them delivered to the store and picking up. (Still order online)

What size did you go with? The moldex run a bit big. 

Or did you order the one with the weird straps that is one size fits all (i think) 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had better luck getting them delivered to the store and picking up. (Still order online)

What size did you go with? The moldex run a bit big. 

Or did you order the one with the weird straps that is one size fits all (i think) 
i got Medium.  So we will see.  Im glad they run big the N95s i have had end up snapping due t my big old head.  I did also get the one with the weird strap.  Will see which works best. 

i got Medium.  So we will see.  Im glad they run big the N95s i have had end up snapping due t my big old head.  I did also get the one with the weird strap.  Will see which works best. 
I have almost pulled the trigger on the weird strap one several times, but never have. If you like it please report back. 

I have almost pulled the trigger on the weird strap one several times, but never have. If you like it please report back. 
Will do.  After wearing a regular N95 for like 8 hours straight this week per day(until it broke), something more comfortable is most definitely appreciated. I will let you know how it goes.  I also have the jock strap one. i will admit its very comfortable.  :shrug:

Will do.  After wearing a regular N95 for like 8 hours straight this week per day(until it broke), something more comfortable is most definitely appreciated. I will let you know how it goes.  I also have the jock strap one. i will admit its very comfortable.  :shrug:
Are you able to get vaccinated?

It's getting to the point where every single protocol developed was BS. 6 ft- BS, outdoor transmission- BS, surface transmission- BS
Masks, closure of indoor gatherings, and vaccinations are the three biggest ones.  And those have been proved out.

And why does this make you so angry?  There are 600,000 people dead from COVID.  Even in hindsight, a measure of caution until we learned about the new CV seems appropriate to me.

Masks, closure of indoor gatherings, and vaccinations are the three biggest ones.  And those have been proved out.

And why does this make you so angry?  There are 600,000 people dead from COVID.  Even in hindsight, a measure of caution until we learned about the new CV seems appropriate to me.
It never stops; like a child who has to keep venting - to anybody/anywhere that might listen.  I wonder what dinners are like.

Has "the Science" been right no everything with COVID so far? Nope. Hell, this thread has been ahead of the curve on the CDC, etc. Doesn't mean that they did anything wrong. A new virus we really didn't know much about. Lots we still don't really know.  How dare you science guys not nail every detail and nuance with this new virus from the very start?? 

Yeah but look at the GDP growth.  Sweden crushed it, while those other Nordic countries got crushed.  Right?
This is the dumbest thing.

The US sacrificed 1 in every 600 people in the country for nothing except the 'right' of 40% of the country to scream "you're not the boss of me."

Shutting down hard and closing the borders to international travel for 21 days followed by mask enforcement and serious arriving traveler testing and contact tracing would have kept the economy humming at full capacity AND kept more than a half million people alive.

When the madness that's gripped our country passes they'll look back on the period and no one will be able to make sense of it.

gianmarco said:
It's ridiculous so many smart people are just so dumb.  I mean, they should have known how to handle this from the start.

Wish we had forum and FB warriors in charge instead and so many lives could have been saved.
I get that you're responding to a different poster who's making a different point about a different study, and I happen to agree with you and the CDC on the "6 feet" thing.  In principle, all us always should have understood that there's nothing magical about 6 feet vs. 7 feet vs. 5 feet.  And we all should have understood that sitting indoors 10 feet away from a covid-positive person for a long period of time is a bad idea.  So this isn't an attempt at a dunk or anything.

But if you hung out in this thread or followed the right people on SM, you were way ahead of everybody else.  You knew it wasn't just the flu bro, you knew masks were a good idea, you unlearned the fomite thing months before everybody else, you knew it was safe to do whatever outdoors without a mask, you knew that lockdowns weren't all that costly, you knew the vaccines were really good, you knew that one dose of Moderna or Phizer was enough, you knew that vaccinated people didn't spread the virus, etc.  Our public officials and/or the media (oh God, the media) failed all of these things at various points during the pandemic.

One lesson, among many, that the pandemic really reinforced with me is that while Facebook is certainly horrible, the internet gives you direct access to people are legitimate world-class experts on things.  If you can cultivate a little bubble that directs you to reliable folks, it's a godsend compared to what we would have had to put up with 10 years ago.

Or you could end up injecting yourself with bleach.  Curating your bubble is a pretty big deal.

I get that you're responding to a different poster who's making a different point about a different study, and I happen to agree with you and the CDC on the "6 feet" thing.  In principle, all us always should have understood that there's nothing magical about 6 feet vs. 7 feet vs. 5 feet.  And we all should have understood that sitting indoors 10 feet away from a covid-positive person for a long period of time is a bad idea.  So this isn't an attempt at a dunk or anything.

But if you hung out in this thread or followed the right people on SM, you were way ahead of everybody else.  You knew it wasn't just the flu bro, you knew masks were a good idea, you unlearned the fomite thing months before everybody else, you knew it was safe to do whatever outdoors without a mask, you knew that lockdowns weren't all that costly, you knew the vaccines were really good, you knew that one dose of Moderna or Phizer was enough, you knew that vaccinated people didn't spread the virus, etc.  Our public officials and/or the media (oh God, the media) failed all of these things at various points during the pandemic.
I believe you missed the sarcasm font :)

Just wanted to say that what is happening in India is pretty heart breaking right now. We sometimes complain a lot about our healthcare system here, but at least we weren't having wide spread oxygen shortages.

:(

Curating your bubble is a pretty big deal.
This should be taught in schools.

How to find reporters of fact, and understanding the difference between straight reporting and using actual facts to present a point of view (whether implicitly or explicitly biased news, or opinion) vs straight up misrepresenting facts and outright misinformation.

But if you hung out in this thread or followed the right people on SM, you were way ahead of everybody else.  You knew you knew that one dose of Moderna or Phizer was enough, you knew that vaccinated people didn't spread the virus, etc.  
Are these established facts now?

LOL...Florida with a 15,000 mask free indoor event.  With the vaccine becoming widespread I guess it's smart we try to make a last ditch effort to raise this country's IQ.

The thing with guidelines is that they are designed to get people to behave in a way that will create the most benefit. The 6 feet rule was something I never took too literally. If they say don’t stand so close to others and give strangers more personal space, people won’t do it. Give them a fairly arbitrary distance to follow and stores can put down markers, etc end you get better compliance.

Most people who get COVID have a fairly good idea of how they got it. I don’t if they’ve done studies but I’d guess that a pretty high percentage of cases come from close personal interactions and work place exposure compared to randomly in public settings. Being outdoors make it very hard to spread but if you’re having a direct close conversation with someone who has COVID bring outdoors isn’t going to prevent that spread. Our rule with our girls on the playground has been no masks unless it’s overly crowded or they make a friend.

The close personal interactions are how most of the spreading is happening. A lot of people following the rules in public but then go meet up with friends in private. Guidelines are to mitigate as much as possible because you can’t control human nature or stupidity.

Has "the Science" been right no everything with COVID so far? Nope. Hell, this thread has been ahead of the curve on the CDC, etc. Doesn't mean that they did anything wrong. A new virus we really didn't know much about. Lots we still don't really know.  How dare you science guys not nail every detail and nuance with this new virus from the very start?? 
The nature of science is to generate hypotheses, test them, and revise one’s understanding as data accumulates. There’s some amount of trial and error built into the scientific method.

Complicating matters are multinational beaurocracies, comprised largely of nonscientists, who ultimately determine policy.

We can all recognize things haven’t been done perfectly, but for the posters who habitually critique the WHO, CDC, FDA, federal and state governments, etc., where do you think covid has been handled best?

Going to dine out at my favorite local restaurant for the first time since March 2020. I think I shed a tear when mrs. hags suggested it.
My wife and I, both fully vaxxed, dined indoors (of course Florida) for the first time in well over a year. We sat in the bar area and there was only one other person sitting at the other end. The staff was masked. The dining room was full and the tables didn't seem any more distanced than what it would have before the COVIDs. But again, it's Florida. 

Covid is raging through the 1.4 billion people of India.  Official reports put the number of new cases around 300K/day with more than 2000 deaths/day.  Serious lack of resources - horrible situation all around.  We have complained (rightfully at times) about our leaders responses but to be 14 months in to this and being in this bad of a spot is really sad.  I've mentioned it before but I have an offshore team and have a couple of team members who have gotten COVID recently.  There's a lot of concern obviously, especially for their elderly parents.  :(

My understanding is that we (the US) are sitting on tens of millions of doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine. We'll never use them, ever. Even if the FDA approves it someday, we have no need for them any longer. They should be sent immediately to India. I wish the press would talk about this more.

Covid is raging through the 1.4 billion people of India.  Official reports put the number of new cases around 300K/day with more than 2000 deaths/day.  Serious lack of resources - horrible situation all around.  We have complained (rightfully at times) about our leaders responses but to be 14 months in to this and being in this bad of a spot is really sad.  I've mentioned it before but I have an offshore team and have a couple of team members who have gotten COVID recently.  There's a lot of concern obviously, especially for their elderly parents.  :(
Was just talking about this over the weekend with a guy I go running with on Sundays.  He and his wife are from India.  He basically said "every family on my parents' block has a family member who is COVID+ and many are quite ill."   It reminds me of late summer/early fall up in Wisconsin -- there was a 3-week stretch where it seemed like every day my parents were calling to tell me a friend, family member or neighbor had COVID.   The difference here is that the healthcare infrastructure in India is imploding at a different speed...

We have a vested interest in avoiding this worldwide.   Variants don't recognize geographic borders.

My understanding is that we (the US) are sitting on tens of millions of doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine. We'll never use them, ever. Even if the FDA approves it someday, we have no need for them any longer. They should be sent immediately to India. I wish the press would talk about this more.
Absolutely.   Edit to add:  this was one of the first stories I read this morning, so it's not like the media is completely silent on this issue.

Absolutely.   Edit to add:  this was one of the first stories I read this morning, so it's not like the media is completely silent on this issue.
Media attention does seem to be increasing a bit, finally - right after posting this, I came across a Business Insider article talking about how Fauci says the Biden admin will "actively consider" this. So it's getting a bit more attention, but still going way too slow. Many people dying while they actively consider it.  Same article says we have committed to buying 300M doses - we should commit to sending all of them to India, Africa, South America, anyplace with shortages, for free.

Media attention does seem to be increasing a bit, finally - right after posting this, I came across a Business Insider article talking about how Fauci says the Biden admin will "actively consider" this. So it's getting a bit more attention, but still going way too slow. Many people dying while they actively consider it.  Same article says we have committed to buying 300M doses - we should commit to sending all of them to India, Africa, South America, anyplace with shortages, for free.
And this is where I get disappointed both with the media and the CDC.  This should have been a hot topic when cases first spiked in Brazil -- we shouldn't have had to wait until similar things happened in India.   There are so few scientifically literate / logical / thoughtful people in the media.  How is that possible?   

Alex P Keaton said:
There are so few scientifically literate / logical / thoughtful people in the media.  How is that possible?   
A lot of people become writers because they are bad at math and science. 

Throw in that most of today's journalism is all about clickbait, and this is what you get. 

Signed, a medical journalist who is lucky to work for an organization that embraces scientific literacy. 

themeanmachine said:
I thought I heard it reported in the evening news that we decided to send 60 million. There are an awful lot of people over there, probably wont make a dent. 

A lot of people become writers because they are bad at math and science. 

Throw in that most of today's journalism is all about clickbait, and this is what you get. 

Signed, a medical journalist who is lucky to work for an organization that embraces scientific literacy. 
One of the best pieces of advice I heard (from a famous journalist to a group of aspiring journalists) was “learn some deep knowledge about a technical field and then become a journalist.”

One of the best pieces of advice I heard (from a famous journalist to a group of aspiring journalists) was “learn some deep knowledge about a technical field and then become a journalist.”
Spot on. That's where most of the best journalism jobs are. Everyone wants to write about sports and pop culture, so most of those jobs don't pay much of anything. 

themeanmachine said:
Forget for a moment that it's the humanitarian thing to do.  It's also in our national self-interest to be seen as a global leader in pandemic recovery.  When the history of covid-19 is written, it would be strongly in our interests that that narrative start with a Chinese cover-up and end with the US stepping up as the arsenal of vaccination.

It's getting to the point where every single protocol developed was BS. 6 ft- BS, outdoor transmission- BS, surface transmission- BS
Masks are the answer (always have been)

Being Outdoors is the answer 

Large well ventilated indoor spaces with high ceilings are kinda the answer 

Exactly... getting your panties in a wad because we didn't immediately have complete understanding of a novel virus is downright comical, and show a profound lack of understanding of how science works.  

This thing spread like wildfire in today's globalized word. 20-50 million people died due to the Spanish flu. Images and news from Wuhan and Milan were everywhere. Frankly I don't think we acted strongly or quickly ENOUGH.

Add in the politicization of this virus and the subset of Americans stupidly dragging their feet on compliance on things like masks and shutdown (many of whom who are still in this thread), and it's remarkable we "only" have 600k dead, honestly. The fact that we had a historically effective vaccine within months, and had tens of millions of doses GTG within a year is the biggest reason we don't have a million US citizens dead. 

Sorry, not sorry. 

Forget for a moment that it's the humanitarian thing to do.  It's also in our national self-interest to be seen as a global leader in pandemic recovery.  When the history of covid-19 is written, it would be strongly in our interests that that narrative start with a Chinese cover-up and end with the US stepping up as the arsenal of vaccination.
Concur 100%. Ship them. Now. 

EDIT: Boom, 60MM AZ Doses being shipped to "stricken countries"

I have a feeling that we will be shipping medical personnel to assist with vaccinations. India’s medical system is strained to the breaking point. They are dangerously close to being unable to administer the vaccine when they get them.
Perhaps but man, the folks I know who have been on the front lines are enjoying a much needed deep breath.

A couple of them are somewhat different people than they were last time I hung out with them 12ish months ago... they have lost weight, and both had a kinda "thousand yard stare" quality to them until they got several drinks in them. 

Perhaps but man, the folks I know who have been on the front lines are enjoying a much needed deep breath.

A couple of them are somewhat different people than they were last time I hung out with them 12ish months ago... they have lost weight, and both had a kinda "thousand yard stare" quality to them until they got several drinks in them. 
I agree, this past year has been crushing for every part of the medical field, from front line to administration to logistics to sanitation. But, if the world doesn’t step in to assist with India and perhaps force compliance on Brazil’s leadership, then we have a good chance of a deadlier variant emerging.

Masks are the answer (always have been)

Being Outdoors is the answer 

Large well ventilated indoor spaces with high ceilings are kinda the answer 
Funny you mention masks. That's another one they got wrong at first. 

Listen, I get science and all. I just find it ironic that they have gotten almost every single thing wrong. I'm not mad. It's amazing how triggered people get though when I point out the flaws of the CDC.

Funny you mention masks. That's another one they got wrong at first. 

Listen, I get science and all. I just find it ironic that they have gotten almost every single thing wrong. I'm not mad. It's amazing how triggered people get though when I point out the flaws of the CDC.
I do love the use of triggered as a point of deflection. You're being called out / mocked for being on the wrong side of this since the beginning of the thread... but you know that. 

Yes our government was a ####show in handling of masks. They knew masks worked, but for reasons both political and resource driven, they pushed the wrong narrative. 

I do love the use of triggered as a point of deflection. You're being called out / mocked for being on the wrong side of this since the beginning of the thread... but you know that. 

Yes our government was a ####show in handling of masks. They knew masks worked, but for reasons both political and resource driven, they pushed the wrong narrative. 
Lmfao at deflection. Do you think I give a #### what anyone thinks about my opinion? If I did I would've stopped. Newsflash: I don't 

Users who are viewing this thread