Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

31 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

Yea...I don't know the details without speculating. I think anyone who really wanted to get vaccinated ahead of time could have and said they were a smoker or had another health condition.  

Wait - so people were supposed to lie to jump the line?

• Replies 52.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shader

• Doug B

• parasaurolophus

• Terminalxylem

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dad has been sick for a few weeks.  My mom called me today to say he was about to die.  I said some final words to him and he could hear me but was unable to respond.  He passed a short time later.

Not to derail anything, but we had our baby last night! She's doing amazingly well. Due to the hospital's pandemic policies, I had to leave her right after my wife was released from recovery. I can't

On a positive note, my wife gave birth to our first child this morning!! We were expecting our daughter to be born in the first week of April, which does not align very well if this hospital sees a ma

31 minutes ago, Gilroy34 said:

Oregon currently has the third lowest case rate in the country, only 4.31% of folks living in Oregon have gotten COVID.  National average is 9.94%.  Yet, Governor Brown continues to lock down the state.

So the lockdown has worked and he's continuing the lockdown?  Not sure where the problem is.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

So the lockdown has worked and he's continuing the lockdown?  Not sure where the problem is.

She.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Alex P Keaton said:

I know people who did....yes.

5 hours ago, Biff84 said:

I wonder how much of it is poor vaccine rollout. We have a lot of snowbirds from the area and I was surprised how far behind they were. No matter what, adjustments need to be made due to vaccinations. Either change the levels or the restriction levels. You can’t pretend that a significant portion of the public is now nearly immune.

It’s not about the rollout, it’s about demand.  Oregon has vaccinated a greater percentage of their population than Arizona has.

The entire narrative of “look how great this state is doing they keep making more people eligible” was wrong.  A few months ago those of us in places like New Jersey and Maryland were complaining because it was difficult to get a shot and folks in Louisiana and Texas were like “it’s so easy to get a shot here!”  Now Maryland and New Jersey have much better vaccination rates than Louisiana and Texas.  It’s always been about demand.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

If someone legitimately have the condition listed in the qualifications, they're not "jumping in line", regardless of your personal objections to the inclusion of that condition in said qualifications.  

HTH :D 

Edited by [icon]
  • Thanks 1
On 4/26/2021 at 10:45 AM, AAABatteries said:

Covid is raging through the 1.4 billion people of India.  Official reports put the number of new cases around 300K/day with more than 2000 deaths/day.  Serious lack of resources - horrible situation all around.  We have complained (rightfully at times) about our leaders responses but to be 14 months in to this and being in this bad of a spot is really sad.  I've mentioned it before but I have an offshore team and have a couple of team members who have gotten COVID recently.  There's a lot of concern obviously, especially for their elderly parents.  :(

My company is currently doing a risk assessment for our projects and operations as it relates to the COVID outbreak in India.  350k+ cases the last two days and 3k+ deaths each day.

• Sad 1
On 4/28/2021 at 11:08 AM, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Are people really still unable to factor in the cost of these lockdowns?  I would put this top of the list of "problems".

Edited by matuski
17 minutes ago, matuski said:

Are people really still unable to factor in the cost of these lockdowns?  I would put this top of the list of "problems".

Could you show your work?  Say by comparing impacts to economies based on severity of closures and lockdowns.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
14 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Influenza has all but disappeared.

Makes it even more amazing that COVID has done what it has.

"The public health measures that slow the spread of the novel coronavirus work really well on influenza."

"The reason, epidemiologists think, is that the public health measures taken to keep the coronavirus from spreading also stop the flu. Influenza viruses are transmitted in much the same way as SARS-CoV-2, but they are less effective at jumping from host to host."

The article says the flu got shut down because the mitigation efforts undertaken to slow the spread of COVID-19 completely slowed the spread of the flu. It doesn't say anything about one respiratory disease can only dominate at one time and I'd need to see some good proof on that before rejecting the premise of the article, which has also been widely reported elsewhere.

14 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Influenza has all but disappeared.

Makes it even more amazing that COVID has done what it has.

In fairness though, we already had flu shots and a certain level of background immunity to influenza.  That's not entirely the same thing as a truly novel virus sweeping through an immunologically-naive population.  But yeah, that does serve as a stark reminder for how much bigger a deal this was than the seasonal flu.

• Like 2

On the teen vaccination front ... not sure if this means anything concrete, but:

There are starting to be quiet rumblings in the media that Pfizer vaccine approval for ages 12-15 is now imminent -- like coming in early May (see these links).

Yesterday, my wife heard something from someone that, somehow, they had ALREADY gotten a vaccination appointment for their young teenager. So my wife asked me to start calling around for our 14-year-old son.

I called the same Ochsner** vaccination hotline I called back in late March for our 17-year-old's vaccination appointment. This time, when the Ochsner CSR realized we were attempting to schedule an appointment for a 14-year-old, the CSR created a new database record for my son as he was not a previous Ochsner patient. Then the CSR told me that while she didn't know the exact date young teens would start being scheduled, the vaccination staff had been getting a lot of recent notifications pushed down from the CDC about administering the vaccines to 12-15 year-olds. The CSR advised me that she couldn't schedule my son just yet, but to call back next Monday (May 2nd), and then to keep trying every few days.

** Ochsner is one of the major Louisiana-based healthcare chains.

• Like 1

Further, on the teen vaccination front:

New York Times writer David Leonhardt quietly inserted this tidbit into his column last week:

More than 50 percent of American adults have already received at least one Covid-19 vaccine shot. At the current pace, virtually all adults who want to get vaccinated will have been able to get a shot by July. Yet relatively few children, especially younger children, will have been vaccinated by then. While the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine may be authorized for children ages 12 to 15 as early as next month, younger children appear to remain months away from being eligible for any vaccine.

"... as early as next month" meaning "in May" -- as opposed to the August-September timeframe bandied about a few weeks ago (by Dr. Fauci among others).

So there's more rumblings that young teens seem to have a good chance of being cleared for vaccination within a few weeks. I am wondering what people with behind-the-curtain connections are hearing sotto voce? There's no major media outlet really running with this ... but then, smoke, fire, and all that.

Edited by Doug B
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Doug B said:

New York Times writer David Leonhardt quietly inserted this tidbit into his column last week:

"... as early as next month" meaning "in May" -- as opposed to the August-September timeframe bandied about a few weeks ago (by Dr. Fauci among others).

So there's more rumblings that young teens seem to have a good chance of being cleared for vaccination within a few weeks. I am wondering what people with behind-the-curtain connections are hearing sotto voce? There's no major media outlet really running with this ... but then, smoke, fire, and all that.

August-September would be great for elementary kids . . . . 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Doug B said:

This would be awesome

My daughter's school just sent out a an email, they are coordinating bus trips for any students 16 and older that wants the vaccine to our megasite

Edited by belljr
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2021 at 6:29 PM, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Could you show your work?  Say by comparing impacts to economies based on severity of closures and lockdowns.

Show yours.. what is the impact of improving infection rates 4% (or 1% or 2%)?

I don't think there is even an argument to be made anymore where opening up goes when places are wide open and thriving again.  The places where doom and gloom was predicted, neanderthal thinking, etc?  We are killing it.  People are going back to work, those who kept their jobs and/or stayed in business are thriving.  Why would you even consider accepting a lockdown at this point?

Edited by matuski
17 hours ago, jobarules said:

Well we never really test for the flu

Huh? There is a multimillion dollar flu testing industry, using antigen and nuclei acid technology, just like covid. And many hospital diagnostic algorithms for covid also include flu testing.

While we sometimes don’t need to test for influenza to make a presumptive diagnosis, and frequently the test won’t change management, tons of tests are performed every season.

3 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

Huh? There is a multimillion dollar flu testing industry, using antigen and nuclei acid technology, just like covid. And many hospital diagnostic algorithms for covid also include flu testing.

While we sometimes don’t need to test for influenza to make a presumptive diagnosis, and frequently the test won’t change management, tons of tests are performed every season.

Do you always take everything 100% literally? Obviously there was some hyperbole in my statement.

1 hour ago, jobarules said:

Do you always take everything 100% literally? Obviously there was some hyperbole in my statement.

To be fair, "We don't even test for the flu now" is something I've heard MANY times from people I know and on this board from folks that don't believe in the COVID numbers being reported. It has been a running talking point from people who think this is all overblown.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jobarules said:

I don’t. But unless your statement was 100% sarcastic, it was completely off-base.

Flu is probably the most tested respiratory pathogen, literally.

• Like 2

Shot #1 for my wife done. :thumbup: Had it at Rite Aid. Waited for 15 minutes with a couple other people who had just got their first shot. I told them I was already fully microchipped and it was awesome. My phone works better, etc. Made them laugh and feel better. 

• Like 4
On 4/30/2021 at 7:55 AM, Doug B said:

On the teen vaccination front ... not sure if this means anything concrete, but:

There are starting to be quiet rumblings in the media that Pfizer vaccine approval for ages 12-15 is now imminent -- like coming in early May (see these links).

Yesterday, my wife heard something from someone that, somehow, they had ALREADY gotten a vaccination appointment for their young teenager. So my wife asked me to start calling around for our 14-year-old son.

I called the same Ochsner** vaccination hotline I called back in late March for our 17-year-old's vaccination appointment. This time, when the Ochsner CSR realized we were attempting to schedule an appointment for a 14-year-old, the CSR created a new database record for my son as he was not a previous Ochsner patient. Then the CSR told me that while she didn't know the exact date young teens would start being scheduled, the vaccination staff had been getting a lot of recent notifications pushed down from the CDC about administering the vaccines to 12-15 year-olds. The CSR advised me that she couldn't schedule my son just yet, but to call back next Monday (May 2nd), and then to keep trying every few days.

** Ochsner is one of the major Louisiana-based healthcare chains.

As someone who gets a TON of vaccine questions, ‘check next week’ is often our go to response when we don’t have any more information and want to get off the phone.

The latest estimates we seen is early summer for 12-15 (Pfizer) and fall/flu shot season for everyone else (Moderna).

• Sad 1

Any opinions on which is the preferred vaccine to get out of the 3?  In FL all 3 are available. Looking to schedule appt for myself and 17 yr old.  Considering J&J now that it's available.

4 hours ago, towney said:

Any opinions on which is the preferred vaccine to get out of the 3?  In FL all 3 are available. Looking to schedule appt for myself and 17 yr old.  Considering J&J now that it's available.

Moderna or Pfizer if you're looking for efficacy + limiting side effects/risk.... though what I've read may be out of date. 

Curious what the consensus is now... 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, towney said:

I liked the reported efficiency of the 2 shot routines. If JnJ was the only option, I would have done that and been perfectly fine with it. But we've given so many more doses of the mRNA stuff and they haven't had to pause them over side effects....

10 hours ago, towney said:

Pfizer>Moderna>>J&J

The downside of 2 shot is offset by better efficacy. Less side effects with Pfizer vs. Moderna.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Pfizer>Moderna>>J&J

The downside of 2 shot is offset by better efficacy. Less side effects with Pfizer vs. Moderna.

I agree with this. 

10 hours ago, towney said:

Isn't Pfizer the only shot approved for 16 and 17 year-olds?  If so, that's your teen's only option.

Edited by worrierking

So we are looking at a gas shortage because drivers quit due to lack of demand for gas and more demand for dildos during covid.  Neat. 

3 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

It sounds like we may have a gas shortage but a dildo surplus.

There's a driver shortage

Also a chlorine shortage

No clue about dildos

20 minutes ago, jobarules said:

There's a driver shortage

Also a chlorine shortage

No clue about dildos

Add rent cars to this.  

Herd immunity probably not going to happen

I don't want to make this political, but this pisses me off and breaks my heart. We are an entitled, stupid society of crybabies and idiots.

I am completely awestruck that America went from the eradication of polio in the 50's to the weird, tinfoil hat reactions to a revolutionary vaccine technology during COVID. We are doomed.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:

I don't want to make this political, but this pisses me off and breaks my heart. We are an entitled, stupid society of crybabies and idiots.

I am completely awestruck that America went from the eradication of polio in the 50's to the weird, tinfoil hat reactions to a revolutionary vaccine technology during COVID. We are doomed.

We are doomed as a nation. We have a cancer that has taken hold and we've begun the slow, inevitable decline. 

Expat time within the next decade... max. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:

I agree seeing so many not get vaccinated is crazy.  Could we not still reach herd immunity through people actually getting the virus?  What are we at - about 10% having gotten it and 50% vaccinated?  I realize there’s overlap but hypothetically couldn’t we get those numbers to 70 and 20 (if we need to get 90-%)?

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

I agree seeing so many not get vaccinated is crazy.  Could we not still reach herd immunity through people actually getting the virus?  What are we at - about 10% having gotten it and 50% vaccinated?  I realize there’s overlap but hypothetically couldn’t we get those numbers to 70 and 20 (if we need to get 90-%)?

I have no idea. Epidemiologists would know better than me, but my biggest fear is that this virus is going to become a seasonal thing that keeps circulating and we have flare-ups every year, like flu season.

I still have roughly 15 years until retirement, and this makes me want to get away from direct patient care.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:

I have no idea. Epidemiologists would know better than me, but my biggest fear is that this virus is going to become a seasonal thing that keeps circulating and we have flare-ups every year, like flu season.

I still have roughly 15 years until retirement, and this makes me want to get away from direct patient care.

The issue is the US doesn't operate within a vacuum. 

Even IF we can get 100% vaccination/recovered... the bulk of the rest of the world lacks resources/infrastructure to achieve that. 

All it takes is one nation to spawn a new variant that jumps antibody containment and it'll make it's way back here, putting us back at "square one". 

Edited by [icon]
38 minutes ago, [icon] said:

The issue is the US doesn't operate within a vacuum. 

Even IF we can get 100% vaccination/recovered... the bulk of the rest of the world lacks resources/infrastructure to achieve that. 

All it takes is one nation to spawn a new variant that jumps antibody containment and it'll make it's way back here, putting us back at "square one". 

Ehhh.  I would like someone to apply that methodology to the hong kong flu.  Which is still getting mixed in flu shots periodically.  Is it really a huge issue? Nah. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Ehhh.  I would like someone to apply that methodology to the hong kong flu.  Which is still getting mixed in flu shots periodically.  Is it really a huge issue? Nah. 

Agreed.  Also, we now know that if a variant does evolve that manages to dodge our current vaccines, we can develop a new vaccine for the variant in a day or two.  If that means a booster shot, no problem.

Obviously it would be better to reach herd immunity, but it's going to be quite a while before we get there globally.  

If the vaccine wasn't so effective I'd care if people didn't get the shot.  Now that it is, they can die for all I care.  Let them eat cake.  

• Sad 1
On 4/30/2021 at 9:55 AM, Doug B said:

FDA expected to approve Pfizer vaccine for ages 12-15 this week (ABC-TV in NYC via Yahoo News, 5/3/2021)

ABC News correspondent Alex Presha also weighs in, reporting on the story from Washington (5/3/2021). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The timeline is likely kinda pie-in-the-sky ... but they're working on this, too:

Pfizer’s new at-home pill to treat Covid could be available by end of the year, CEO hopes (CNBC, 4/27/2021)

Sounds kind of like "Tamiflu for COVID":

* Pfizer’s experimental oral drug to treat Covid-19 at the first sign of illness could be available by the end of the year, CEO Albert Bourla told CNBC on Tuesday.

* The drug is part of a class of medicines called protease inhibitors and works by inhibiting an enzyme that the virus needs to replicate in human cells.

* Protease inhibitors are used to treat other viral pathogens such as HIV and hepatitis C.